Awful State of Ocean View Cafe for dinner

Arubamoose

8 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Non-refunable fare. No way will we cancel. October, possibly things could be different (?). 😍🍷  I just asked my Magic 8 Ball and it said," cannot predict now". Plus we like the itinerary. 

Similarly, non-refundable fare means there's no way we'll book.   We saw an attractive itinerary this fall, but there's no way in hell we're booking with X and committing that $ given the sorry state of things. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, D C said:

To answer your question: YES

Combined with other things, of course, but the dismal state of the buffet is a very significant factor.  When we enjoy, and look forward to quiet, casual, al fresco dinners at the Sunset bar, knowing that the cruise line is serving a worse selection than my kid's college dorm becomes a factor that is significant to our decision. 

When other lines offer far superior options, both at the buffet and other restaurants, our dollars are spent elsewhere. 

Agree keeping up with state of cruising and trends is how we all decide what to buy.

now there are three different cruise lines on cc about buffets, RCI, Cel, and Carnival.

hmm wondering who will be the 4th

10 minutes ago, D C said:

Similarly, non-refundable fare means there's no way we'll book.   We saw an attractive itinerary this fall, but there's no way in hell we're booking with X and committing that $ given the sorry state of things. 

Not even an issue when we booked our March Apex cruise on 13 August and our October Eclipse cruise on 29 September. No regrets. Looking forward to both cruises despite of all this chatter. Knowing what I know now, I'd still book non refundable fares. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Not even an issue when we booked our March Apex cruise on 13 August and our October Eclipse cruise on 29 September. No regrets. Looking forward to both cruises despite of all this chatter. Knowing what I know now, I'd still book non refundable fares. 

You are judgmental, you are inexperienced, you question people's morals, you live in suites, and you are wealthy. Sounds like some others on this thread. How dare you be comfortable and content, even in the slightest. 

• Haha 5

13 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I have two upcoming cruises booked--both with Celebrity. I am not considering cancelling either one and will undoubtedly have a great time on both. However, the last 8 or so months have changed my view focusing solely on Celebrity. First there was a comped Carnival Cruise that I truly enjoyed, followed by insane Retreat pricing that gave me a nudge to look elsewhere. Now with clearly visible cutbacks to food quality that leave me wondering where else they've cut that isn't so obvious, the door has been swung wide open.

To that end, Celebrity has very quickly gone from the top of my list when I look to book cruises to around a tie for 5th with a bunch of other mass market lines. It's truly staggering to me that they could make such a precipitous drop in such a short timeframe. I may not be your average Joe from Schenectady but I'm sure there are plenty just like me.

I'm excited to try MSC Yacht Club, Oceania, and Azamara among others. They now get my first look. In addition, it's been a long time since I've sailed Princess or Royal and I've never tried HAL--Celebrity falls back into that pack. To be honest, I find all this liberating. Change is good.

Excellent post.

What I find wonderful about your post is your obvious critical thinking and ability to make course changes based on analysis.  An "obedient consumer" you are not. Well done indeed. 

Blind obedience is a dangerous thing for people and many consumers operate this way. Corporations often rely on the "obedient consumer". Depending upon what % of passengers Celebrity thinks are "obedient consumers", drives their business decisions. In Celebrity's case they know many of their longer time customers have abandoned them for the premium lines (myself included) so they are honing in on the new customer who of course, has limited to 0 knowledge of the previous Celebrity product and who are younger and more likely to react to fluff entertainment, gadgets, find "fast food" ok and not question the nickel and diming, because it is all new and exciting.

My career was in marketing and in our corporate boardroom was a gigantic sign with the words "obedient consumer".

I compliment you in your analysis and wish you happy sailing on any of the many cruise lines out there. Always put yourself first.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

You are judgmental, you are inexperienced, you question people's morals, you live in suites, and you are wealthy. Sounds like some others on this thread. How dare you be comfortable and content, even in the slightest. 

Pssst, don't tell anyone but I also drink wine I like and not what others think I should drink. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, ABoatNerd said:

Excellent post.

What I find wonderful about your post is your obvious critical thinking and ability to make course changes based on analysis.  An "obedient consumer" you are not. Well done indeed. 

Blind obedience is a dangerous thing for people and many consumers operate this way. Corporations often rely on the "obedient consumer". Depending upon what % of passengers Celebrity thinks are "obedient consumers", drives their business decisions. In Celebrity's case they know many of their longer time customers have abandoned them for the premium lines (myself included) so they are honing in on the new customer who of course, has limited to 0 knowledge of the previous Celebrity product and who are younger and more likely to react to fluff entertainment, gadgets, find "fast food" ok and not question the nickel and diming, because it is all new and exciting.

My career was in marketing and in our corporate boardroom was a gigantic sign with the words "obedient consumer".

I compliment you in your analysis and wish you happy sailing on any of the many cruise lines out there. Always put yourself first.

Sheep on a Ship · Board Book · Margot Apple

1 hour ago, Pinboy said:

Guest Relations--

It's where you get change for tips, borrow a pen because there are none in the room anymore, make " nonsense " complaints ( food in the buffet ), and stand in a long line on the last day of the cruise behind the people that remove the Gratuities. 

ok.  A simple answer of Guest Relations would have sufficed.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

ok.  A simple answer of Guest Relations would have sufficed.

Thank you--

After noticing that you have been on CC since 2010, 3.9K posts I assumed that you were " pulling my leg " about the GR question , so I had a little " fun" with it.

1 hour ago, ABoatNerd said:

Excellent post.

Well said.  

• Like 1

On 1/16/2023 at 4:02 AM, CU64 said:

I do not agree. The food options on the video were ample. People can find 2 proteins, some plant based, vegetables, a huge salad center, breads, fruits, desserts, pizza, cheese. There is no need for more to be wasted. 

Our food at St Wenceslaus grade school in the 60's was more appetizing. At least it was fresh. You could watch them buttering and making your grilled cheese sandwich and mixing the tuna and rice. The bread was fresh baked AND we had a choice of Chocolate or White milk. 

The very least they should do is made to order stir fry, pasta, and grilled meats to include minute steak and burgers. Made to order means no waste.

Of course they could serve an inexpensive chicken in red wine using boneless thighs and ordinary fresh mushrooms. Mac and cheese with ham in it.

Make better use of lower cuts of meat using sous vide. It is always at the perfect temp until you are ready to serve it. 

Just ask Moms! We have been juggeling meal costs for years.

My 3 lbs of hamburger on sale ($12.45) at Publix this week turned into 4 6oz patties stuffed with blue cheese, 1 lb of taco meat and 2 quarts of super meaty bolognese with carrot and onion (Giada's recipe) that I thinned out with a jar of Rao's sauce (that I bought on sale at Costco) and cream (from Walmart) 

So, 7 plus entrees for about $18.00. And I don't have a degree in catering or wholesale prices.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/16/2023 at 8:35 PM, Georgia_Peaches said:

This comment confuses me. I thought the MDR had early, late or select seating….and every passenger had access to one of them.  I wasn’t aware that the MDR required reservations. Would you mind clarifying?

Yes. I'm a first time cruiser and we didn't wait in line for a table. We didn't realize it was no big deal. After that day my husband and I just went when we wanted on the days we didn't reserve a time. (We had select dining)

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Keys Kathy said:

Our food at St Wenceslaus grade school in the 60's was more appetizing. At least it was fresh. You could watch them buttering and making your grilled cheese sandwich and mixing the tuna and rice. The bread was fresh baked AND we had a choice of Chocolate or White milk. 

The very least they should do is made to order stir fry, pasta, and grilled meats to include minute steak and burgers. Made to order means no waste.

Of course they could serve an inexpensive chicken in red wine using boneless thighs and ordinary fresh mushrooms. Mac and cheese with ham in it.

Make better use of lower cuts of meat using sous vide. It is always at the perfect temp until you are ready to serve it. 

Just ask Moms! We have been juggeling meal costs for years.

My 3 lbs of hamburger on sale ($12.45) at Publix this week turned into 4 6oz patties stuffed with blue cheese, 1 lb of taco meat and 2 quarts of super meaty bolognese with carrot and onion (Giada's recipe) that I thinned out with a jar of Rao's sauce (that I bought on sale at Costco) and cream (from Walmart) 

So, 7 plus entrees for about $18.00. And I don't have a degree in catering or wholesale prices.

You’re right.  With a little creativity they could “cut corners” subtlety.  It seems like they don’t have any creative chefs working there anymore.  These extreme changes seem very strange.

• Haha 1

I'm obviously the minority in this thread, but when I go on holiday, the best part about eating is that I haven't had to cook or clean up. Even when I take a land holiday, I don't eat fine dining every night, and I certainly don't have Starter, Main and Desert. So the fact they have taken away some dishes doesn't offend or worry me; I was always spoilt for choice anyway. If I want a fancy meal for a celebration, I book a speciality restaurant. That is nothing new, I've been doing that for years because the MDR food is not fine dining. Once upon a time maybe, but not in the era of mass market cruises.

If you go on cruises for food, then the "mainstream" lines are no longer going to fit the bill. And yes, Celebrity are still a mainstream line. Different level to Carnival, but still not the premium lines. 

Gone are the days of Chateaubriand on Princess, amuse-bouche, and canapés on formal nights. 

I'm boarding the Beyond next month, and I'm looking forward to relaxing, partying, and having quality time with my family. I will probably survive on Caesar Salad, French Onion Soup, Broiled Salmon and OVC pizza. But I will be doing so onboard a cruise ship; so I can't really complain.

1 minute ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

You’re right.  With a little creativity they could “cut corners” subtlety.  It seems like they don’t have any creative chefs working there anymore.  These extreme changes seem very strange.

I was sat next to the Executive chef of the Reflection on my excursion back from Sorrento in August(he was hitching a ride back from a shopping trip). He was about to board the Beyond, and only joined Celebrity because of their reputation for food. I wonder if he is still there.... His name was Grant and was from South Africa. Not sure if anyone has encountered him recently! However I did complain to him that the French Onion soup was too sweet, and the next day the sweetness had gone. He mentioned that you should always let the staff know if the food is not right- they would rather know and be able to fix rather than you go away with a bad experience. 

Did SKY Princess 7-14 Jan. Apex 14-21 and starting second leg on Apex today. 

In my opinion the dining room food has been good (cruise food) and the portions good size. There are 3 different sections on the menu with several choices. 

OVC does have a very limited selection at night. The few times we ate there I was able to find something of my liking, but make no mistake, it is not like the buffets of old. 

Sky Princess had a full buffet in the evening with at least 4 different carving stations. 

If the changes, limiting selections at OVC, are a deal breaker with Celebrity, Princess might be a good option for some. 

My wife and I like both Celebrity and Princess and will continue to sail with both. 

As for us we are having a great time on Apex and will be sorry to leave next Saturday. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

I think the Celebrity Chefs have been doing this since the re-start but they are now looking for big cuts.

• Like 2