Anyone notice Diamond Benefits have gone down?

dshroyer

The benefits for Diamond level no longer show the bottle of champagne and macaroons.  We were on the Divina, at a Diamond event and were told that they are going to add another level above Diamond.  Not sure what it would be called or how many points necessary.  Does this mean that they are pulling the champagne and macaroons so they can add it to the "new" higher level?  Has anyone heard anything about this?

Unfortunately the membership benefits from MSC have been deteriorating over the years, specially after their match program. It was a smart move for MSC to attract new cruisers, but those of us who have earned our loyalty membership by actually cruising with MSC have seen the perks diminishing. I remember when we received a bottle of Moet and now is just sparkling wine on embarkation day. We had a 15% discount on the cruise fare as Diamond members and now it is 5% like any other level of membership. Actually the membership benefits are not really worth it anymore. When we asked about this on our last cruise, we were given the answer that there are too many diamond members.

I have not heard that MSC is planning to introduce a new membership level.

Ivi

• Like 5

We just returned from our first MSC cruise, a three-night on Divina in YC.  On the first day, we received a bottle of chilled Prosecco and a plate of macarons.  I thought that was a YC perk, but because of status match I’m Diamond, so possibly that was the reason?  Yesterday I also received a small extra-dark chocolate bar (yuck) with “Voyagers Club Diamond” on the box.

They’ve been talking about introducing a new, higher tier for years, now.  I’ve over 40000 points (others have many more) and have gone beyond caring at this stage.   I don’t even track my points tally as any more earned have no value.

• Like 5

"Loyalty" clubs are a wonderful marketing tool, but they can become problematic in a rapidly expanding company.  We are in top tiers (loyalty wise) with several cruise lines and have seen an erosion of benefits with all companies.  Some have done it by simply eliminating or reducing certain benefits while others have effectively watered down the benefits through other means.  A good example is that one cruise line who used to have generous free booze benefits to the most loyal cruisers, now include drink packages in much of their cruise packages.  Those who are entitled to a few free drinks a day will often find it is a worthless benefit because they get that with their booked amenity package.   Another line, HAL, watered down some benefits when they started selling similar benefits to anyone (i.e Club Orange).  Consider that priority is not really priority when nearly everyone qualifies.

Hank

• Like 5

3 hours ago, hamrag said:

It has never been champagne, rather a cheap 5£/$/euro bottle of Prosecco!

I am sorry but it was Champagne. We have received a couple of times a bottle of Moet Chandon at the day of embarkation together with chocolate dipped strawberries.

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin
  • Like 1

On my recent NYE sailing, we got a bottle of acceptable sparkling wine, macaroons, and the dark chocolate bar.  Though small, I thought the bar was pretty good and would prefer it to the prior chocolate ship, as the chocolate seemed to be of a fairly good quality.

With status match and a few cruises, it wasn't hard to achieve diamond status, so I suppose I can't complain too much.

This was the sparkling wine that we received.
https://www.vivino.com/US-UT/en/borgo-molino-cuvee-extra-dry/w/1147017?ref=nav-search

Edited by Stockjock

23 hours ago, travelberlin said:

Unfortunately the membership benefits from MSC have been deteriorating over the years, specially after their match program. It was a smart move for MSC to attract new cruisers, but those of us who have earned our loyalty membership by actually cruising with MSC have seen the perks diminishing. I remember when we received a bottle of Moet and now is just sparkling wine on embarkation day. We had a 15% discount on the cruise fare as Diamond members and now it is 5% like any other level of membership. Actually the membership benefits are not really worth it anymore. When we asked about this on our last cruise, we were given the answer that there are too many diamond members.

I have not heard that MSC is planning to introduce a new membership level.

Ivi

Black card members used to get 20% discount on future cruises, Gold 15 and Silver 10, typical MSC response re too many Diamond card holders, what do they expect when they gave them away like confetti.

Beyond time MSC rewarded those who earned their Diamond status by sailing with them by working their way up, how about you upgrade us to the new level eh MSC?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Just off Meraviglia, diamond perks were Specialty Dinner (so happy that is still there!), bottle of Prosecco, macarons, four wrapped filled chocolates, priority boarding/disembarkation, invites to diamond party and another for all levels (we did not attend either), there were probably some discounts or a few other items that we did not use.  I was disappointed to not get the chocolate ships but did enjoy the things that we received.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hamrag said:

It has never been champagne, rather a cheap 5£/$/euro bottle of Prosecco!

Up until til the introduction of status match in 2015, those at Black level did receive a bottle of Moët, G - AND it was on ice in the cabin on arrival (unlike now when it is distributed sometime during the cruise). 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Beamafar said:

Up until til the introduction of status match in 2015, those at Black level did receive a bottle of Moët, G - AND it was on ice in the cabin on arrival (unlike now when it is distributed sometime during the cruise). 

OK, that figures as the reason we've always had Prosecco. It was 2018 we started sailing MSC and, (sorry Sid) were granted Black, now called Diamond, status because of our Platinum status on another cruiseline.

Good to hear from you, haven't noticed you around of late. 

3 minutes ago, hamrag said:

OK, that figures as the reason we've always had Prosecco. It was 2018 we started sailing MSC and, (sorry Sid) were granted Black, now called Diamond, status because of our Platinum status on another cruiseline.

Good to hear from you, haven't noticed you around of late. 

Cheers, G.  For the first time in 11 years we didn’t sail with MSC last year, which is why I haven’t been around here. We did Az and X instead. 

On the subject of getting champagne - it also came with souvenir flutes. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Cheers, G.  For the first time in 11 years we didn’t sail with MSC last year, which is why I haven’t been around here. We did Az and X instead. 

On the subject of getting champagne - it also came with souvenir flutes. 

Well that explains why you haven't been around. Good to see you back. You were always a wealth of welcome and correct information!

• Like 1

Just now, ready2cruzagain said:

Well that explains why you haven't been around. Good to see you back. You were always a wealth of welcome and correct information!

Thank you - it’s very nice of you to say.  Doing Europa in March so need to get up to speed with what’s what with MSC and this is the best place to do it.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ready2cruzagain said:

That's exactly the point, and what I too have missed. Welcome back Bea.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dexddd said:

Since 2017 always been sparkling wine for us.  They should add laundry perk.

Strange one is cake for birthday.  What is the chance and who cares.

Actually, I received a cake for my birthday last year. It was delicious! Also, quite large for the 2 of us. We shared it with the next table and everyone enjoyed it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Beamafar said:

Thank you - it’s very nice of you to say.  Doing Europa in March so need to get up to speed with what’s what with MSC and this is the best place to do it.

A shame that we had to cancel Bea but that's life as they sa,y be interested in what you think of your cabin. Managed to book Virtuosa for April.

On 1/16/2023 at 4:50 PM, dshroyer said:

The benefits for Diamond level no longer show the bottle of champagne and macaroons.  We were on the Divina, at a Diamond event and were told that they are going to add another level above Diamond.  Not sure what it would be called or how many points necessary.  Does this mean that they are pulling the champagne and macaroons so they can add it to the "new" higher level?  Has anyone heard anything about this?

Just off Mera - did a B2B - got Champagne and ‘Macarons’ and Butchers Cut dinner on both bookings. Had a Diamond gathering on seven night booking but there was not one on four night booking. 

Did not hear anything about changes in levels. 

Edited by cellfree

10 minutes ago, cellfree said:

Just off Mera - did a B2B - got Champagne and ‘Macarons’ and Butchers Cut dinner on both bookings. Had a Diamond gathering on seven night booking but there was not one on four night booking. 

Did not hear anything about changes in levels. 

Are you sure you got champagne? Which label? That would be great, because nowadays they just provide prosecco or another sparkling wine. 
Ivi