What is the worst balcony on Oasis

grod19

Considering booking a guaranteed balcony room on Oasis.  With that in mind, what are the worst balconies on Oasis?  I don't see any listed with major obstructions or anything similar to what Quantum class has.  I assume the ones right next to music hall are loud but are there other things I am missing?  How are the ones on 6 behind playmakers or Johnny Rockets?  Trying to figure out what the absolute worst case I could end up with.

All boardwalk and Central Park balconies are the worst. An apartment complex at sea. Zero privacy. Not sure how people are ok getting on a mega ship that has few places to see the ocean and are ok with looking at neighbors across the way. Curtains have to be closed to get undressed, take shower and come out to change, naps, sex you name it. Get an ocean view balcony you will be able to enjoy the ocean naked or in PJs. 

Edited by renza
  • Like 9

3 hours ago, grod19 said:

Considering booking a guaranteed balcony room on Oasis.  With that in mind, what are the worst balconies on Oasis?  I don't see any listed with major obstructions or anything similar to what Quantum class has.  I assume the ones right next to music hall are loud but are there other things I am missing?  How are the ones on 6 behind playmakers or Johnny Rockets?  Trying to figure out what the absolute worst case I could end up with.

Be sure what you are booking, they offer XB which is ocean view balcony.  XN which is a neighborhood balcony or sometimes only GTY which could be  ocean view, boardwalk or Central Park.  Not worth the discount if only $50 or so. As to worst case, a deck 10 balcony over looking Boardwalk at the rear of the ship with a giant purple slide just a few feet from the balcony railing. 

Edited by taglovestocruise
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, taglovestocruise said:

Be sure what you are booking, they offer XB which is ocean view balcony.  XN which is a neighborhood balcony or sometimes only GTY which could be  ocean view, boardwalk or Central Park.  Not worth the discount if only $50 or so. As to worst case, a deck 10 balcony over looking Boardwalk at the rear of the ship with a giant purple slide just a few feet from the balcony railing. 

Thank you. It is a $500 difference so it is significant saving. 

5 hours ago, renza said:

All boardwalk and Central Park balconies are the worst. An apartment complex at sea. Zero privacy. Not sure how people are ok getting on a mega ship that has few places to see the ocean and are ok with looking at neighbors across the way. Curtains have to be closed to get undressed, take shower and come out to change, naps, sex you name it. Get an ocean view balcony you will be able to enjoy the ocean naked or in PJs. 

This is not a disagreement, you do what makes you comfy.

WE, on the other hand, close the curtains, even in a ocean view balcony cabin or suite.  My wife thinks that the people next door could always look around the balcony partitions.  I don't know why anyone would want to go through that trouble just to see this undercarriage.   But, each to their own. LOL

Edited by Ret MP
  • Haha 9

2 hours ago, grod19 said:

Remember, you can always ask to move to another cabin in the same category if you get one that you really don't want.  If there is one available.

Edited by Cigar King

2 hours ago, grod19 said:

So, are you planning on booking the “we select” balcony option (XN)?

If so, you should expect either a Boardwalk or Central Park Balcony.  The “worst” ones, in my opinion, are deck 14, as you may get noise transfer from the pool deck above.  A few of those are noted as having some obstruction by ship structure.  As mentioned you’ll need to close your drapes when you need privacy; evidently a some people find that arduous on a ship (I wonder if they struggle with the task when they stay in a hotel or resort, lol).  You are very unlikely to be assigned an OV balcony if you book an XN.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, renza said:

But the CP balconies are cheaper and sheltered - so you can leave the door open for fresh air - that is most important for us!

We don't care if other people watch us or not....

15 hours ago, renza said:

We actually upgraded from a central park VIEW to a Boardwalk balcony, then canceled our royal up to try and get ocean view because I actually LIKE the idea of looking inward. People watching, music, lights, still get sunlight and a view of the ocean but with a little variety. We are city folk, so noise and people are what we are used to! 

Hi

we recently had a guarantee balcony booked. For our cruise next month on Quantum. We were assigned a room below the pool area. I rang RC and asked for a room change. They offered us anywhere else in the same category. We ended up in a great room on deck 9. Give them a call after room is assigned. They helped us. 

• Thanks 1

On my most recent booking, Royal’s website only had as generic balcony guarantee but from other websites it was clear it was also possible to get an ocean view balcony guarantee for just a few dollars more and that was what I asked our agent to book. 

I’ve had many neighborhood balconies and didn’t really have a problem with them. You sometimes get some nose bleed through, especially in the boardwalk. People watching was interesting and I’d rather have an interior balcony than no balcony at all, but I don’t ever plan to spend my day hanging out there. 

17 hours ago, renza said:

If I do not have the funds for an ocean view balcony on an Oasis class, I just go immediately to forward interior. We have looked down at the interior balconies from the jacuzzies on the sun deck and agree that there is no privacy whatsoever.

I would feel very sad if someone across from my room goes blind should I forget to pull the curtains. 🤣

Worse yet, you could be opposite of someone who feels at home in a nudist colony and never closes their curtains. Now it is on you not to look.😮

To each their own, many people DO like those balconies. One person's idea of trash is another person's idea of gold. 😁 

• Like 1

I'm closer to my next-door neighbour's windows at home than I am to the people in the rooms across from me in a BW balcony cabin.

Admittedly, it would be extremely helpful if Royal fitted the windows with sheer curtains for privacy in addition to the black-out (and I've mentioned this on my post-cruise questionnaires, not that I expect anything to be done about it) but the amount of time we're doing something best unseen by others is very small in comparison to the enjoyment we get out of people-watching from our balcony.

• Like 1

Before the slides when up in the Boardwalk, we liked the Boardwalk balconies that were closet to back of ship. Great for people watching, we could see out to the ocean and could see some of the shows & practices. Since the slides went in, we only book ocean balcony…preferably the hump rooms.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

If I do not have the funds for an ocean view balcony on an Oasis class, I just go immediately to forward interior. We have looked down at the interior balconies from the jacuzzies on the sun deck and agree that there is no privacy whatsoever.

I would feel very sad if someone across from my room goes blind should I forget to pull the curtains. 🤣

Worse yet, you could be opposite of someone who feels at home in a nudist colony and never closes their curtains. Now it is on you not to look.😮

To each their own, many people DO like those balconies. One person's idea of trash is another person's idea of gold. 😁 

We've stayed in a promenade room (similar "issue") and a Boardwalk room once (and have it booked coming up).  I don't understand the big deal with having to pull the curtains.  At home our backyard backs on to the backyard of the street behind us, so we always change with the curtains closed.  It's not such an odd or different thing.

We quite enjoy the Boardwalk rooms.  You can see what's going on, get fresh air and also see the ocean in the distance.  On Oasis class, there is a big jump in cost to go to an ocean view, which of course is great room, but we also have no issue with Boardwalk.  We have Central Park booked in future as well.  Hopefully OP will be ok with the room category assigned, and if location isn't great, then can more to another one in same category if available.  For me, I would avoid forward location (if ocean view), but fine with Boardwalk, Central Park or Ocean View.

• Like 2