Is Carnival changing their wine policy?

LMKakaThing2

Guest BasicSailor
1 hour ago, LMKakaThing2 said:

Received the following email from Carnival for my Legend cruise next month. Is Carnival quietly changing the rules on bringing wine onboard? 

FAQ’s still say you can bring a bottle but water must be in cartons. 🤷🏻‍♀️

HUH? 

Plastic Water Bottles have been forbidden for a long time now. Just recently they have also raised the price of a 12 pack of water from $5.85 on 9/7/2022 to $9.95 the price as of 1/19/2023 a 70% increase in 4 months. That is annual inflation rate of 210%, obscene. I just got my booking numbers for a charter which is the second half of a back to back cruise. Thank god I ordered enough water for the first cruise to cover me through the whole next cruise. That's 7 cases. I saved $28.70 by buying my water for the cruise in September. Let's see if they say they have to cancel my order for some reason.  When I first cruised, 30 years ago, one could go to the "duty free" shop and bring all the liquor back to your stateroom and drink as much as you want. Today they are now forcing one to pay extreme prices just to stay hydrated.  I am so glad my next cruise is not with Carnival. VIFP Platinum be #&%$ed.  I love cruising, but if I need to be punished for taking a cruise, I will no longer love it.  I am also a Carnival Stock Holder. Maybe not for long.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, nudistcruzer said:

Plastic Water Bottles have been forbidden for a long time now. Just recently they have also raised the price of a 12 pack of water from $5.85 on 9/7/2022 to $9.95 the price as of 1/19/2023 a 70% increase in 4 months. That is annual inflation rate of 210%, obscene. I just got my booking numbers for a charter which is the second half of a back to back cruise. Thank god I ordered enough water for the first cruise to cover me through the whole next cruise. That's 7 cases. I saved $28.70 by buying my water for the cruise in September. Let's see if they say they have to cancel my order for some reason.  When I first cruised, 30 years ago, one could go to the "duty free" shop and bring all the liquor back to your stateroom and drink as much as you want. Today they are now forcing one to pay extreme prices just to stay hydrated.  I am so glad my next cruise is not with Carnival. VIFP Platinum be #&%$ed.  I love cruising, but if I need to be punished for taking a cruise, I will no longer love it.  I am also a Carnival Stock Holder. Maybe not for long.

Wow! That’s insane that they are now forcing people to purchase water! I recently took a Carnival cruise and they still had water taps and even water dispensers. They even allowed me to bring my own water bottle to carry it around.

BTW that is not how to calculate inflation rate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, nudistcruzer said:

As a carnival stock holder, I want them to increase prices on things until people no longer buy them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 2wheelin said:

Wow! That’s insane that they are now forcing people to purchase water! I recently took a Carnival cruise and they still had water taps and even water dispensers. They even allowed me to bring my own water bottle to carry it around.

BTW that is not how to calculate inflation rate.

They are not forcing you to buy water.  They still have water available at the beverage stations.  This is if you want to pre purchase water to have in your cabin.   As far as the increase to 9.95 for a 12 pack..I'm sure many of these complainers have bought a bottle of water in the airport for $3-$5 without blinking an eye.  But paying 82 cents per bottle for the convenience of having it in your cabin is a big deal....geeeesh.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, hapytobehr said:

They are not forcing you to buy water.  They still have water available at the beverage stations.  This is if you want to pre purchase water to have in your cabin.   As far as the increase to 9.95 for a 12 pack..I'm sure many of these complainers have bought a bottle of water in the airport for $3-$5 without blinking an eye.  But paying 82 cents per bottle for the convenience of having it in your cabin is a big deal....geeeesh.

I think 2wheelin was being sarcastic.😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I posted a similar question about a month ago when I received the email saying no more bottled beverages due to safety for guests under 21 related to alcohol. But once I found a year old thread about the same thing, I realized it was misleading and had nothing to do with not allowing a bottle of wine. So I alerted the mods to remove it.

15 hours ago, hapytobehr said:

At the airport people buy 1 bottle. Not all the water they are drinking for a week or more. If I had to spend $250 at an airport for water you can bet I would complain about that as well. I'm not complaining about drinking one bottle of water for 98 cents instead of 49 cents. I'm complaining about spending $82.25 to drink bottled water on my cruise. Instead of $40.95. In fact I was wrong; I was comparing the cost before the delivery fees to the cost including delivery fees. Actually the cost more than doubled in 4 months. The base cost before delivery fees was $4.95 and now it is $9.95. And the delivery fees doubled as well, $.90 per 12 pack to $1.80 per 12 pack now.   Carnival doubled the price of drinking bottled water on the cruise. I was just in the Dominican Republic where I got food poisoning and no one, not even local people drink the water from the tap.  That doesn't exactly make me eager to drink tap water on the ship. Simply put, Carnival doubled the cost of bottled drinking water on the ship. That is obscene as far as I'm concerned.

4 hours ago, nudistcruzer said:

At the airport people buy 1 bottle. Not all the water they are drinking for a week or more. If I had to spend $250 at an airport for water you can bet I would complain about that as well. I'm not complaining about drinking one bottle of water for 98 cents instead of 49 cents. I'm complaining about spending $82.25 to drink bottled water on my cruise. Instead of $40.95. In fact I was wrong; I was comparing the cost before the delivery fees to the cost including delivery fees. Actually the cost more than doubled in 4 months. The base cost before delivery fees was $4.95 and now it is $9.95. And the delivery fees doubled as well, $.90 per 12 pack to $1.80 per 12 pack now.   Carnival doubled the price of drinking bottled water on the cruise. I was just in the Dominican Republic where I got food poisoning and no one, not even local people drink the water from the tap.  That doesn't exactly make me eager to drink tap water on the ship. Simply put, Carnival doubled the cost of bottled drinking water on the ship. That is obscene as far as I'm concerned.

We live in a new world.  Here is another view.  It is obscene that we have these rules because cruisers cannot follow the rules, you need not go further than this site to find threads of how to put booze in different containers to disguise it from being detected.  It is obscene that the cruise industry was mandated and shut down for two years for a problem that was none of their doing.  Lastly, it is obscene that trying to survive, the parent company is twenty four billion in debt due to covid shut down.  All these things give me a different view on whether I need to pay more for water.  

• Like 7

6 hours ago, nudistcruzer said:

But bottled water is purely a choice except in a few underdeveloped countries (and a few other exceptions). Tap water on the ship is absolutely safe. Anyone who spends $50 for water does it solely by choice and complaining about it is akin to someone complaining to their poor neighbor about the increase in the cost of their new Lamborghini. 

Now, the price of eggs is something else!!! Not many substitutes or options.

Spend money on water if you want but complaining about the cost falls mostly on deaf ears. First world problems.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Just got off the Magic (1/22-28/23) and had no problem bringing one bottle of wine and two four pack (cans) of soda in my carry-on.  As far as water, I brought my refillable stainless steel bottle and refilled at the beverage station on the Lido deck.  

• Like 2

My last cruise, Nov 22, we were allowed to bring 2 bottles of wine per person over the age of 21.  For my upcoming cruise I received the same email.  I have been sailing cCarnival since 1982 so trs, Carnival has decreased how much wine can be hand carried on board.  Several years prior to COVID Carnival banned bring plastic water on board for the sake of the environment.  Interesting that they sold me water bottles.  Anyway, prior to COVID the water bottle packs were cheap.  The first few sailing that I took after COVID the price increased some and a delivery fee was added that didn't exist prior to shutdown.  My upcoming cruise the price of water doubled from Nov 22.  I think the free water on board is fine, I just liked the convenience of having water in my room.  I didn't order any water for next week's cruise, I will just walk down the hall for the spa water instead.