Port, Starboard, or Aft for Norway Fjords?

spkack

Considering 2024 Norway cruise.  The fjords and views look stunning!  Wondering what side of the ship is recommended, or if aft view is even better?  I normally we would look to be on the starboard side going north so we can see land as we cruise but wondering if anyone has a different perspective?  And also wondering if there is any advantage to aft view for a Norwegian itinerary?  We really liked aft view when we had it in Caribbean, but do the potential rough seas and weather may make an aft cabin unpalatable for this itinerary for?  Thanks so much for your responses.

• Thanks 1

I would not do aft because I like to see where I am going, not where Ive been.  Otherwise, it doesn’t make any difference.  A fjord is a dead end.  What is on starboard side going in will be port going back out.  As far as the coast is concerned, you are usually not close enough to see any detail.  EM

• Like 7

I would have definitely gone with aft if it were still available when I booked our upcoming cruise. It offers a much wider view of the scenery. Even though the best views will be on the top open decks of the ship I would have loved to be able to just go out on an aft balcony in the wee hours of the morning to watch the view.

• Like 3

when we did Norway a few years ago we were aft and felt we hit the jackpot!  The ability to view 180 degrees was spectacular.  We were also protected from the wind.  We thought it was extra special to sit on our balcony and watch the wake and soak up the tranquility that only that location provides.  JMO.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

We are sailing on the Rotterdam in August.  We have 2 veranda rooms on the starboard side.  I figured that you sail into the fjord and then out of the fjord.  So anything you did not see heading in, you could catch coming out 

• Like 1

The location of the cabin doesn't really matter in Norway. The view waking up and while dressing if fabulous, no matter where your cabin is. 
When you are up and dressed, you need to be outside, preferably in a place where you can see as much as possible, and it's easy to change sides as the spirit moves you. 

• Like 1

I do not understand why folks would prefer aft views (although the lack of wind would certainly be a bonus). You see something interesting and it is too quickly going - photo opportunities are surely lost. When viewing from either side you can see a waterfall or whatever coming up and be ready for the best photo or viewing opportunity as it slides past. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Nang said:

I do not understand why folks would prefer aft views (although the lack of wind would certainly be a bonus). You see something interesting and it is too quickly going - photo opportunities are surely lost. When viewing from either side you can see a waterfall or whatever coming up and be ready for the best photo or viewing opportunity as it slides past. 

I'm thinking the same way as you are.  By the time the view arrives for the aft balconies it is gone in seconds.

• Like 1

Don't overlook the fact sometimes the fog comes in and you can't see anything, anyway.

Once our guide had to show us photos of surrounding fjord cliffs, all blocked from view. Another trip were we hiked up to  the favorite tourism photo Pulpit Rock (Stavanger port)  only to be also greeted by fog at the top with no views in any direction.  Might as well have been on the flat ground at sea level. Just know this up front. 

Regardless, one of our favorite cruise destinations. Highly changeable weather - things come and go in just a few hours, or even minutes. 

• Like 1

I cannot remember where we were traveling, but on one of our cruises (maybe on our NE/Canada cruise) we were to go through some closed in areas.    The area was shrouded with fog and the ship had to go very slow.   The sailing lasted some of the day and into the night. The fog horn blew every few minutes.  A little nerve racking, and an annoying when trying to sleep.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Nang said:

photo opportunities are surely lost.

I'm sure they are, but we don't know what we missed so we don't know any different.  At least when we go back we know, for sure, we will see something new!!

I do know I didn't lose this photo opportunity while sipping adult beverages with the love of my life. Thankfully we held on to the phone!!

IMG_9171.thumb.JPEG.394fc02df4d795137d773f32c575192a.JPEG

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

I cannot remember where we were traveling, but on one of our cruises (maybe on our NE/Canada cruise) we were to go through some closed in areas.    The area was shrouded with fog and the ship had to go very slow.   The sailing lasted some of the day and into the night. The fog horn blew every few minutes.  A little nerve racking, and an annoying when trying to sleep.

We had this happen too on a long  South Asia cruise - off the Vietnam coast, where apparently there were hundreds of small fishing boats. So all night long the fog horn went off, every few minutes. Quite a night for everyone, including the fishing boats.

On 1/23/2023 at 7:16 AM, spkack said:

Considering 2024 Norway cruise.  The fjords and views look stunning!  Wondering what side of the ship is recommended, or if aft view is even better?  I normally we would look to be on the starboard side going north so we can see land as we cruise but wondering if anyone has a different perspective?  And also wondering if there is any advantage to aft view for a Norwegian itinerary?  We really liked aft view when we had it in Caribbean, but do the potential rough seas and weather may make an aft cabin unpalatable for this itinerary for?  Thanks so much for your responses.

I booked that cruise for 2024 with a cabin on the port side, for no other reason but the room number is DH’s bday 🤣. We plan to be out on the deck during sail/in out anyway so I wasn’t as concerned with which side we are on. Can’t wait!

• Like 3

On 1/24/2023 at 6:37 PM, colin v said:

I'm sure they are, but we don't know what we missed so we don't know any different.  At least when we go back we know, for sure, we will see something new!!

I do know I didn't lose this photo opportunity while sipping adult beverages with the love of my life. Thankfully we held on to the phone!!

IMG_9171.thumb.JPEG.394fc02df4d795137d773f32c575192a.JPEG

Wow ! Amazing shot !

• 1 year later...
On 1/27/2023 at 3:40 PM, Minoushka said:

Please note norwegian govt is restricting big ships in fjords next year .2023 is ladt year permitted in 

Actually from what I have read recently it has been delayed until 2026.

On 1/23/2023 at 2:52 PM, westcoastcruiser said:

We were also protected from the wind.

Bingo!

Even though it may be cold outside, you have the sun and no wind!

AFT for any cold weather cruise.