Will HAL's Cut Backs in Food Quality & Raising Prices Hurt Bookings & the CCL StockStock

mcrcruiser

Imo ,It seems logical that higher prices for HAL's cruises &  lower quality food will clash  in the near future  ,Thus in declining  future bookings  .These cut backs are very obvious & imo both bookings & their stock price will decline . The word travels fast among  experienced cruisers 

We also see CCL stock going back down as well as the future of the stock market for other economic reasons

• Like 1

Aloha.  In my opinion it is a conundrum for cruise addicts such as us.  I have substantial cruise line stock and have been blessed to have traveled the world by ship and air.  Now we divide our time between NY and Honolulu so cruising is not a priority but I want the lines to succeed because now we choose a line and the ship with itinerary a tertiary thought.  That said I would consider what I glean from CC regarding food, portion size, staffing etc.  For example I love prime rib and escargot. Both of which I can get at local restaurants but their is something magical on a

ship. As for lobster…same. I can see charging for the third tail to discourage waste but not for the second. As for HAL, my daughter grew up looking forward to the yum yum man after dinner. Sometimes little things matter. Newbies may not know how it used to be. Certainly I understand cutbacks are necessary but in our situation I just won’t sail. That is my opinion but I do believe at some point the number crunchers and the banks have to arrive at a middle point. Probably not though. Sad. Will we sail again? Hopefully. With my tuxedo lol!  All the best .

• Like 1

While CCL's lines were still honoring the Future Cruise Credits issued during the shutdown, the lines really couldn't raise their prices as it would have been grossly unfair to the people who opted for the FCCs instead of cash refunds.  Now it's time to pay the piper as those Covid era FCCs are either used up or have expired.  The money used to keep the ships afloat has to be repaid and it has to come from somewhere.

The cruise lines need to adapt to the current circumstances and the passengers are going to have to adapt as well or decide to end the relationship.  The positive thing for the industry is that every cruise line needs to trim budgets somewhere so, HAL isn't the only one doing it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Prices on everything continue to go up so I think cruise lines will be raising their prices too in order to stay in business. I don't think they can continue to count on money from onboard spending as their primary income which I think has been going on since he restart.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, albingirl said:

There seems to be a trend towards threads like this, discussing current and future cutbacks.  However, my next two cruises are sold out and have been sold out for awhile.  Time will tell.  It's hard to speculate, really.

I don't see the point in threads like this one.  Either someone wants to take a cruise or they don't.  Discussions about real or perceived cut backs, stock prices, etc. are meaningless to most cruisers.  I once read that only 1% - 5% of people who cruise are loyal Cruise Critic readers.  So you're not reaching a large audience if that is the intention of the OP.  No one is forcing anyone to cruise on any line.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

25 minutes ago, baggal said:

I don't see the point in threads like this one.  Either someone wants to take a cruise or they don't.  Discussions about real or perceived cut backs, stock prices, etc. are meaningless to most cruisers.  I once read that only 1% - 5% of people who cruise are loyal Cruise Critic readers.  So you're not reaching a large audience if that is the intention of the OP.  No one is forcing anyone to cruise on any line.

Totally agree. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, albingirl said:

There seems to be a trend towards threads like this, discussing current and future cutbacks.  However, my next two cruises are sold out and have been sold out for awhile.  Time will tell.  It's hard to speculate, really.

Yes, and the OP is the starter of many of the threads..

L.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 4

Just off a B2B on the K'dam. Food in Lido was fine. Could not get into MDR before 8 at a shared table so did not partake. Ate in specialty restaurants about 50% of time; all was fine except oddly the halibut in Pinnagrill was meh. (We are not lobster fans and did not pay the upcharge for anything.) 

These "cutbacks" may be in some people's heads.

• Like 4

On 1/24/2023 at 10:53 PM, mcrcruiser said:

Imo ,It seems logical that higher prices for HAL's cruises &  lower quality food will clash  in the near future  ,Thus in declining  future bookings  .These cut backs are very obvious & imo both bookings & their stock price will decline . The word travels fast among  experienced cruisers 

We also see CCL stock going back down as well as the future of the stock market for other economic reasons

Haven't we already discussed this in your other threads?

I doubt that CCL/HAL management will pay attention to the complaints in this forum. They've made their choices. Now, they're waiting for the cash to roll in, or not.

There'll be an aggressive spring sale, if they're in trouble.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, SuperCurmudgeon said:

We had our first cruise on HAL in December 2022. Never again. After all the reports of how good the food was, we were completely underwhelmed. First impressions, and all that.

What were the things that disappointed you about the food on your cruise?

3 hours ago, SuperCurmudgeon said:

We had our first cruise on HAL in December 2022. Never again. After all the reports of how good the food was, we were completely underwhelmed. First impressions, and all that.

I don't think judging any cruise line by first impressions gained during the restart is not going to give an accurate picture.  All of the cruise lines are still getting back on their feet and there will be some missteps along the way to a return to normal.  JMHO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

I don't think judging any cruise line by first impressions gained during the restart is not going to give an accurate picture.  All of the cruise lines are still getting back on their feet and there will be some missteps along the way to a return to normal.  JMHO.

My mistake. What my post should have said was:

I don't think judging any cruise line by first impressions gained during the restart is going to give an accurate picture.  All of the cruise lines are still getting back on their feet and there will be some missteps along the way to a return to normal.  JMHO.

The word "not" shouldn't have been in that sentence.  🤷‍♂️ 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We have pointed out that a major problem for CCL is their more than $32 Billion (yes, billion) in debt.  In a time of rising interest rates, the debt service on this debt is going to be a huge drag on the entire Corporation (including HAL).  

Hank

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hlitner said:

We have pointed out that a major problem for CCL is their more than $32 Billion (yes, billion) in debt.  In a time of rising interest rates, the debt service on this debt is going to be a huge drag on the entire Corporation (including HAL).  

Hank

Can CCL simply erase this debt for filing for Chapter 11 and starting over? It seems that the airlines have done this in the past (some more than once).

1 hour ago, ChinaShrek said:

Can CCL simply erase this debt for filing for Chapter 11 and starting over? It seems that the airlines have done this in the past (some more than once).

We would need to leave that to the bankruptcy experts :).  

1 hour ago, ChinaShrek said:

Unfortunately, it isn't that easy for a company with many assets already mortgaged. The lenders will grab everything they can before they walk away. In the last 3 years, HAL has used its ships as security for the loans it needed to survive.

That leaves unsecured creditors (pax and suppliers) with pennies, if any. This means that any rumour of a bankruptcy may leave the ships stranded, as suppliers demand immediate payment.

On 1/25/2023 at 6:19 AM, leerathje said:

Yes, and the OP is the starter of many of the threads..

L.

Pretty much they are the main originator of the is X going to result in Y streams. Where X is any real or perceived change in the line and Y is a bad outcome for the cruise line.

12 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Just off a B2B on the K'dam. Food in Lido was fine. Could not get into MDR before 8 at a shared table so did not partake. Ate in specialty restaurants about 50% of time; all was fine except oddly the halibut in Pinnagrill was meh. (We are not lobster fans and did not pay the upcharge for anything.) 

These "cutbacks" may be in some people's heads.

We found food in the MDR to be the best of any line (Hal, Princess, Celebrity) we have sailed on this year. consistently good quality.

5 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Yep, though from what we have seen in 9 cruises on multiple line since the restart things are continuing to improve and are getting pretty close to pre Covid on board ship. Still some staffing issues, but as ships get back to capacity staffing is getting better.

If only land based hotel were restoring services back to pre covid level as quickly.

Edited by ldtr