Charge for shipping medallions

And then of course is the mess when their shipping company screws up big time.

Last cruise we received notification the medallions were shipped in early December for a January 4 embarkation. Tracking the medallion shipment showed them coming from Singapore and arriving in Carson, California around the 17th of December. There they sat until December 28 when they starting moving again. They arrived at our home on December 30 around 1 PM. Our flight for South America departed at noon that day. Needless to say we had to get medallions at the port. In the case where Princess thinks you already have medallions, they won't be prepared at check-in to hand you a set. After the spend extra time searching, even though you tell them they're sitting at your home 6,000 miles away, they'll make you the old cruise card with which you can board the ship. You then have to take those to Guest Services to get new medallions made.

After all that, there are two points: 1) It will cost even more time at check-in if Princess believes you should already have your medallions and 2) If they now charge you $10 and they screw up, good luck getting your money back!

• Thanks 3

11 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

And then of course is the mess when their shipping company screws up big time.

Last cruise we received notification the medallions were shipped in early December for a January 4 embarkation. Tracking the medallion shipment showed them coming from Singapore and arriving in Carson, California around the 17th of December. There they sat until December 28 when they starting moving again. They arrived at our home on December 30 around 1 PM. Our flight for South America departed at noon that day. Needless to say we had to get medallions at the port. In the case where Princess thinks you already have medallions, they won't be prepared at check-in to hand you a set. After the spend extra time searching, even though you tell them they're sitting at your home 6,000 miles away, they'll make you the old cruise card with which you can board the ship. You then have to take those to Guest Services to get new medallions made.

After all that, there are two points: 1) It will cost even more time at check-in if Princess believes you should already have your medallions and 2) If they now charge you $10 and they screw up, good luck getting your money back!

Carson is where they sit until cleared by customs. 

If you had booked your cruise before the change date in December (the 15th maybe) 2022, and you place your medallion order before 2/20/23, the shipping is free.  After that date, you pay un less you have the new princess plus or premier package.  We have a family cruise in June of 2023 so I ordered the medallions for all the cabins yesterday, no charge.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Id rather be diving said:

If you had booked your cruise before the change date in December (the 15th maybe) 2022, and you place your medallion order before 2/20/23, the shipping is free.  After that date, you pay un less you have the new princess plus or premier package.  We have a family cruise in June of 2023 so I ordered the medallions for all the cabins yesterday, no charge.

Really? I do not see anything in the new packages that say they include medallion shipping. I just tried to order medallions on the app for our October cruise and they want to charge for delivery. We are elite and have the plus package on that one. In addition, they don't tell you until the end about the charge and there is no way to go back to select the pick up at port option that I can find. If you don't confirm the order it says it will cancel 12 days from cruise.

/images/global/cruise-deals-promotions/plus-premier-cruise-packages/plus-seawitch-logo-640x78.png 

PRINCESS PLUS

• Princess® dining, accommodations and entertainment
  • MedallionClass® experience
  • Plus Beverage Package
    (drinks up to $15 each)
  • Wi-Fi (1 device per guest)
  • Crew appreciation
  • NEW Premium desserts (2 per day)
  • NEW Fitness classes (2 per cruise)
  • NEW Unlimited juice bar
Edited by Musky Ike

9 hours ago, Id rather be diving said:

Just an FYI. We're Platinum for what it's worth relate to this thread.

Two cruises booked both before 12/2022, 

October '23 7 Day New England,  Standard Package - Ordered Medallions yesterday and no charge for     

for Medallions or shipping.

March '24 15 Day Hawaii, Plus Package(old pricing) - Ordered Medallions today and no charge for   

Medallions but requesting $10 for shipping.

We'll wait on ordering for the March '24 cruise and see what happens between now and then. Not a big deal either way,  just thought I'd share our experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Musky Ike said:

Really? I do not see anything in the new packages that say they include medallion shipping. I just tried to order medallions on the app for our October cruise and they want to charge for delivery. We are elite and have the plus package on that one. In addition, they don't tell you until the end about the charge and there is no way to go back to select the pick up at port option that I can find. If you don't confirm the order it says it will cancel 12 days from cruise.

/images/global/cruise-deals-promotions/plus-premier-cruise-packages/plus-seawitch-logo-640x78.png 

PRINCESS PLUS

• Plus Beverage Package
    (drinks up to $15 each)
  • Crew appreciation

I thought it was in the list you quoted above but I don't see it now.  However, it is in the FAQs:

What’s changing with Princess Plus and Princess Premier?
We’re adding great features to both! Effective 12/14/22 on sailings 2/20/23 and onward, Princess Plus will now include premium desserts, fitness classes and free Medallion® device shipping, while Princess Premier will offer all these, reserved theater seating and a Medallion accessory. 

What do you mean by free Medallion® device shipping? How does that work?
You will be receiving a complimentary Medallion device and lanyard as part of your cruise experience. For any guests with a Plus or Premier package, you may order these items delivered to your home (for U.S. guests only) for no extra shipping fees. If you do not have the package, you pay a $10 flat fee to have these delivered to your home. Or you could choose to pick them up at the departure port for no extra fees.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, pompeii said:

I thought it was in the list you quoted above but I don't see it now.  However, it is in the FAQs:

What’s changing with Princess Plus and Princess Premier?
We’re adding great features to both! Effective 12/14/22 on sailings 2/20/23 and onward, Princess Plus will now include premium desserts, fitness classes and free Medallion® device shipping, while Princess Premier will offer all these, reserved theater seating and a Medallion accessory. 

What do you mean by free Medallion® device shipping? How does that work?
You will be receiving a complimentary Medallion device and lanyard as part of your cruise experience. For any guests with a Plus or Premier package, you may order these items delivered to your home (for U.S. guests only) for no extra shipping fees. If you do not have the package, you pay a $10 flat fee to have these delivered to your home. Or you could choose to pick them up at the departure port for no extra fees.

I do not see this in the FAQ but it doesn't surprise me. Princess = consistently inconsistent. Not that $10 it is a big deal in the cost of a cruise but like I said, we have the package and the charge is there. Yet another question for the Oceanfront folks when we are onboard next month.

Edited by Musky Ike
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

And even *with* medallion shipping costs you'll probably come out ahead!

•  
  On 2/6/2023 at 6:18 PM, Jeter02 said:

Yeah buying into the drink packages will never work for me. And will never happen. I will happily stick with my standard fare

I can neither confirm nor deny that we come out ahead with the premier package 😁Well...I could confirm it, but that's a whole 'nother thread topic🥂

Sail happy my friends!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Musky Ike said:

PRINCESS PLUS

• Plus Beverage Package
    (drinks up to $15 each)
  • Crew appreciation

I experienced the same thing but for a different trip. There should be no reason to charge $10 yet if you don't have the new package.

Looks like I'll be calling them before long.

• Like 1

We just looked at our "Princess Travel Summary" which has the detailed info on specific benefits covered by packages.  We recently booked the Sky with the Plus Package, got a free upgrade to the Premiere Package (promotion for vets).  On our summary it clearly says "Free Medallion Shipping" and values this at $14 per person!

Hank

• Like 2

On 2/6/2023 at 1:14 AM, 555 said:

.... I'll be picking them up at the terminal just like their cruise cards for many years.....

It never bothered me either to pick up a cruise card / now picking up a medallion.  But that said,  I wasn't charged for the 5 cruises in my signature. 

Won't be here for the 5th one ....

Edited by Ombud

17 hours ago, Musky Ike said:

I do not see this in the FAQ but it doesn't surprise me. Princess = consistently inconsistent. Not that $10 it is a big deal in the cost of a cruise but like I said, we have the package and the charge is there. Yet another question for the Oceanfront folks when we are onboard next month.

Make sure you are looking at the plus and premier “cruise” packages and not the plus and premier “drink” packages.  The medallion shipping info for the cruise packages is definitely stated in both the FAQ’s and the T&C.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, t&atravel said:

Make sure you are looking at the plus and premier “cruise” packages and not the plus and premier “drink” packages.  The medallion shipping info for the cruise packages is definitely stated in both the FAQ’s and the T&C.

Nope, not listed as part in either package on the Princess website.

https://www.princess.com/cruise-deals-promotions/plus-premier-cruise-packages/

6 minutes ago, Musky Ike said:

Beg to differ…click on your link then either FAQ or T&C. And scroll to question #40

Edited by t&atravel
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, t&atravel said:

Beg to differ…click on your link then either FAQ or T&C. And scroll to question #40

The point is right now is not listed as part of either cruise package. Maybe it was for a time, but not now. I'm done with this. Not worth the effort to to call or chat. Probably would not get a straight answer anyway. All I know is they tried to charge me on a cruise where I have the plus package.

On 2/5/2023 at 9:44 PM, Hlitner said:

As much as we like Princess (over 35 cruises with the line) we think charging to ship a Medallion is "small time" move which we find deplorable.  This Medallion thing was all the idea of Princess and it was also their idea (which they have heavily promoted) that they would send it to your address before the cruise.  Getting it at the port is a minor hassle, but we think what Princess is doing SUCKS!

By the way, some of the packages include a benefit of having the Medallions shipped free. 

Hank 

Agree

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Musky Ike said:

1 hour ago, t&atravel said:

It's listed twice, question #2 and question #40....

• Thanks 1

On 2/6/2023 at 4:35 AM, Loritd said:

I ordered mine last night for a September sailing with standard package, no charge. We are elite, could that be a factor?

NOPE.  We booked a Coastal while on the Discovery last week.  When setting up the Ocean ready, we were also going to be charged $10.00 for delivery of the "free" medallions.  We are elite also.  The cruise we just got off of we had the drink package and no charge for the medallions. Decided not to take the drink package as we never drink 15 drinks a day.  I did call customer relations and was told that "Yes" unless. you take a package you will be charged for delivery.

We will pick up at the pier, no problem but definitely do not like be charged for something that is required on the ship.  We do love the easy of use and ordering, opening your door, etc. better than the old card you had to carry everywhere.  P.S. The Princess Discovery was absolutely gorgeous.  

13 minutes ago, Catherine Claus said:

NOPE.  We booked a Coastal while on the Discovery last week.  When setting up the Ocean ready, we were also going to be charged $10.00 for delivery of the "free" medallions.  We are elite also.  The cruise we just got off of we had the drink package and no charge for the medallions. Decided not to take the drink package as we never drink 15 drinks a day.  I did call customer relations and was told that "Yes" unless. you take a package you will be charged for delivery.

We will pick up at the pier, no problem but definitely do not like be charged for something that is required on the ship.  We do love the easy of use and ordering, opening your door, etc. better than the old card you had to carry everywhere.  P.S. The Princess Discovery was absolutely gorgeous.  

What is amazing is the different interoperations by different reps.

You would think by this time they would all be on the same page. 

Having to pay to have it shipped to my home just doesn't seem right especially when it's almost a requirement just to board quickly.

I’m Canadian therefore the medallion has to be provided to me at the port. However, on my iPad Medallion app (in the Ocean Ready Travel Checklist), I was able to successfully change my  next voyage status from blue lane to green by ‘ordering’ my medallion for pick up. I’m not too tech savvy, but it looks like something good happened when I fiddled around.

Edited by tipofthehook

We booked right after Xmas and did not get the plus or premium pkg. I just got an email that my medallions are on their way and tracking says I’ll have them on Thursday. 
The most consistent thing about Princess of late is their inconsistency.