Crown Grill vs Sabatinis (Only doing one)

talkorpi

Hi everyone,

Leaving for our first Princess cruise in a couple weeks.  We are Princess newbies and very excited to be trying the line.  We got a lot of onboard credit with out booking and I frankly don't know what to do with it since we already have Princess Plus.

One of the things that I wanted to do was try one of the specialty restaurants, but we only want to go to one for the entire cruise.  Since we are on Ruby, our options are Sabatinis and Crown Grill. (Not interested in Salty Dog - but does anyone know if Salty Dog is open for lunch?)

Anyone have any opinions on which one is better?  I know it's a matter of personal taste but I wanted to get some people's opinions of which they liked more.  Right now we are slightly leaning towards Sabatini's but both look like good options, and at only a $4 difference, the price doesn't make much of an impact on my decision.

Thanks!

They are both excellent.  Sabatini's has a new menu and it's so good.  The filet in the Crown Grill is the best.  It's harder to get into the Crown Grill.  Sabatini's will put you into a food coma.  I usually do both on a longer cruise but you can't go wrong on either.  If I could only pick one...Sabatini's. 

• Like 3

I haven't seen the new Sa b atini menu but we were quite UNHAPPY v with our food on the old one!

We love  the Crown grill!

Dh says  the filet there is  the b est he's ever eaten!

I love the lamb chops and all t h e sides 

You can make a res before he cruise so not hard to g e t in

If your app is wonky then just call or go there the minute you get on board to make the res

4 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

I haven't seen the new Sa b atini menu but we were quite UNHAPPY v with our food on the old one!

We love  the Crown grill!

Dh says  the filet there is  the b est he's ever eaten!

I love the lamb chops and all t h e sides 

You can make a res before he cruise so not hard to g e t in

If your app is wonky then just call or go there the minute you get on board to make the res

But it sounds like the OP wants to use their OBC so they would need to wait to book while on board   If they book now they will need to provide a credit card

Another vote for Crown Grill, but Sabatini’s is very good.  If you like a steakhouse more than Italian, go for CG.  Be sure to ask for all the sides to be shared between you.  Our table was full!  A little of this, a little of that…..we love it.

• Like 1

On the Royal as I write, and also totally new to Princess.

We have been to the Crown Grill once, which was good, but tonight going for a third time to Sabatinis. The restaurant is beautiful, tables well spaced and the service on another level. The food is special and so well presented.

As has been said, all is one’s personal preference.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, LadyL1 said:

On the Royal as I write, and also totally new to Princess.

We have been to the Crown Grill once, which was good, but tonight going for a third time to Sabatinis. The restaurant is beautiful, tables well spaced and the service on another level. The food is special and so well presented.

As has been said, all is one’s personal preference.

Thanks for the comment!

Just curious - what is the current menu for Sabatini's?  I've seen two very different ones floating around, both of which also appear on the Princess website. 

I would assume the one that is $29 a person and not $25 is the current menu, but the $25 menu is marketed as the "new" menu so now I'm confused.  They are two pretty different menus with very different offerings.

I hope its the $29 menu as it looks more appealing...

Edited by talkorpi

Salty Grill (Lido Deck) is not to be confused with Wheelhouse Salty Dog Gastro Pub....When will Princess stop confusing passengers?  It's not that there are limited words in the English language.

Prices to Crown Grill and Sabatini's is suppose to be raised.  Don't know when.  Crown Grill is more expensive than Sabatini's.

Moving forward.  I have always enjoyed the Crown Grill over the other.  I am not that into Italian.  These are two very different restaurants.

Absolutely love the Black and Blue Onion Soup and the Lamb Chops.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Salty Grill (Lido Deck) is not to be confused with Wheelhouse Salty Dog Gastro Pub....When will Princess stop confusing passengers?  It's not that there are limited words in the English language.

Prices to Crown Grill and Sabatini's is suppose to be raised.  Don't know when.  Crown Grill is more expensive than Sabatini's.

Moving forward.  I have always enjoyed the Crown Grill over the other.  I am not that into Italian.  These are two very different restaurants.

Absolutely love the Black and Blue Onion Soup and the Lamb Chops.

Thanks for the comment.  Was thinking about the lamb if we chose Crown Grill.

And yes, I know that the Salty Dog grill and Salty Dog Gastropub are different.  I should have been more specific - I am specifically talking about the upcharge Gastropub.

Can easly see how it could be confusing, especially for first-time cruisers, but I am trying to do my research 😉

• Like 1

Just now, LadyL1 said:

LadyL1, thank you for confirming this.  Appreciate it.  Have a fabulous rest of your cruise on Royal!

• Like 1

We recently cruised on the Emerald and tried both.  They were both very good, but I enjoyed the Crown Grill the most.  I suggest you review each of the menus and make your decision.

I also suggest you do not go to Sabatinis if you are in rough waters.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, talkorpi said:

Can easily see how it could be confusing, especially for first-time cruisers, but I am trying to do my research 😉

This was not meant specifically for you.  Glad you are doing your research.  

It is one of my pet peeves with Princess and therefore my soapbox stance.

Mini-suites are not suites (not even close)

FCD/FCC

Medallion/Medallion Class App

Medallion App works on INTRAnet (not wifi)

And the list keeps going.  They need to have some English teachers in a department all of their own.  It is not difficult to be creative and come up with better descriptions.  I shall step down now.  Thank you for allowing me this space.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Dislike Sabatini's. Have tried it several times over the years on different ships with the same results. (Definition of insanity, I know.) But have kept hoping for better. Gave it a go one last time last month on the Island. Never again. 

On the other hand, NEVER had a bad meal in the CG on any ship, anytime. Highly recommended. 

6 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

Dislike Sabatini's. Have tried it several times over the years on different ships with the same results. (Definition of insanity, I know.) But have kept hoping for better. Gave it a go one last time last month on the Island. Never again. 

On the other hand, NEVER had a bad meal in the CG on any ship, anytime. Highly recommended. 

Different folks different takes. The meat I have gotten  in the Crown Grill over the last year were really not as good pre pandemic.  Love the lamb skewers and pasta carbonara in Sabatini’s have never even needed an entree

I was on Discovery last November and experienced all the specialty restaurants, including Salty Dog (which was not open for lunch). 

Totally subjective of course, but here's how I ranked the restaurants:

• Sabatini's
  • Salty Dog & Bistro Sur La Mer (tied)
  • Crown Grill

Crown Grill is in last because food quality was inconsistent - starter bread was cold and hard, the sides ranged from lukewarm to just perfect, and the filet was nothing memorable. Could have been an off night and we did have one of the later reservations (8:30 pm), so I'm willing to try again. 

On the flip side, Sabatini's was exactly what I expected it to be, if not better. Every dish I had was delicious and the service was a step up from Crown Grill. Same with Salty Dog - the food there is inventive and delicious, but it does feel more like a lunch spot than a special dinner event.

Side note: I saw a review from a YT channel that echoed the same thing about Salty Dog - Princess is really missing out on an opportunity to have it opened for lunch. 

They aren't apples to apples and I'm going to give Crown Grill another chance when I'm back on board in a couple of weeks, but also revisiting all the others while I'm at it!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LadyL1 said:

I was on the Discovery last month, this was not the menu in Sabatinis.  I went to both but if I had to pick one I would pick Sabatinis.  

26 minutes ago, tlc1972 said:

I was on Discovery last November and experienced all the specialty restaurants, including Salty Dog (which was not open for lunch). 

Totally subjective of course, but here's how I ranked the restaurants:

• Sabatini's
  • Salty Dog & Bistro Sur La Mer (tied)
  • Crown Grill

Crown Grill is in last because food quality was inconsistent - starter bread was cold and hard, the sides ranged from lukewarm to just perfect, and the filet was nothing memorable. Could have been an off night and we did have one of the later reservations (8:30 pm), so I'm willing to try again. 

On the flip side, Sabatini's was exactly what I expected it to be, if not better. Every dish I had was delicious and the service was a step up from Crown Grill. Same with Salty Dog - the food there is inventive and delicious, but it does feel more like a lunch spot than a special dinner event.

Side note: I saw a review from a YT channel that echoed the same thing about Salty Dog - Princess is really missing out on an opportunity to have it opened for lunch. 

They aren't apples to apples and I'm going to give Crown Grill another chance when I'm back on board in a couple of weeks, but also revisiting all the others while I'm at it!

I seldom saw anyone dining in the Salty Dog Pub.  

3 hours ago, talkorpi said:

Hi everyone,

Leaving for our first Princess cruise in a couple weeks.  We are Princess newbies and very excited to be trying the line.  We got a lot of onboard credit with out booking and I frankly don't know what to do with it since we already have Princess Plus.

One of the things that I wanted to do was try one of the specialty restaurants, but we only want to go to one for the entire cruise.  Since we are on Ruby, our options are Sabatinis and Crown Grill. (Not interested in Salty Dog - but does anyone know if Salty Dog is open for lunch?)

Anyone have any opinions on which one is better?  I know it's a matter of personal taste but I wanted to get some people's opinions of which they liked more.  Right now we are slightly leaning towards Sabatini's but both look like good options, and at only a $4 difference, the price doesn't make much of an impact on my decision.

Thanks!

I agree with what others posted, but will add a couple of things.

1.  We have had great meals in Sabatini and good meals.  We have had good steaks in Crown Grill and ok steaks.  

2.  One unique thing on Ruby ..... Sababtini's is located in the former "Share" by Curtis Stone location.  In my opinion, it is the most beautiful restaurant in the fleet.  The bar next to it is great as well.

• Like 1

Was having the same debate when my DH said "we are cruising to spend money, not save it, let's do both".  He's a keeper.   We've been to Crown Grill before (I still dream about the black and blue soup), but have never tried Sabbatini's.  Looking forward to them both in April.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jagoffee said:

I seldom saw anyone dining in the Salty Dog Pub.  

Yep. Very true and could be why service was so good the night I went - there were only three other tables occupied. 

Still, the food was really, really good. Would hate for people to think it’s empty because the food is subpar. It’s probably more due to location right off piazza with all the noise, as well as the additional cover charge. Lower the price and open up for lunch and I’m sure you’ll see more bodies in seats. 

• Like 2