My opinion on Beyond--Infinity Verandah

mizLORInj

14 hours ago, RichYak said:

From RCG's most recent 10-Q:

In addition, as of September 30, 2022, we have an agreement in place with Chantiers de l'Atlantique to build an additional Edge-class ship for delivery in 2025, which is contingent upon completion of conditions precedent and financing.

And I thought that they were having financial difficulties due to Covid,  yet they have plenty of money to build yet another ship?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kwokpot said:

There's no drains because the faux balcony is just the end of your cabin inside, so of course there's no drain. . That's why I can never understand how people try to convince themselves it's just like a real balcony.

im betting some people, like me. dont realize the AC turns off when they are on the balcony and only when they get on board figure this out. the ability to not come in from the heat is really a deal breaker id never do. plus as much as i read these boards, imagine someone who doesnt, how would they know the captain can lock up everything till you leave port, etc etc. id be so bummed not to have my balcony for sailaway. wonder how many calls they get on this issue every cruise

I believe that the IV was a big mistake- I don't get it.  Room actually seems very narrow.  The lack of a balcony and the fact that the ac in the cabin will shut off is a deal breaker.  Cheaper and better to book an oceanview.  If you don't want a suite, book an aft balcony with a real balcony.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

im betting some people, like me. dont realize the AC turns off when they are on the balcony and only when they get on board figure this out. the ability to not come in from the heat is really a deal breaker id never do. plus as much as i read these boards, imagine someone who doesnt, how would they know the captain can lock up everything till you leave port, etc etc. id be so bummed not to have my balcony for sailaway. wonder how many calls they get on this issue every cruise

That is exactly why we would never book an IV cabin again. With a traditional balcony once you close the glass door the air stays on in the cabin. This is a bigger issue on hot weather cruises like the Caribbean.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, GerScot said:

....... and yet these ships are sailing with very high occupancy figures, lots of people obviously not put off by IVs!

Celebrity will never know or admit to how many more would have booked on these Beautifull new ships if they had traditional balconies? People who love them would have still booked while people who hate them go elsewhere.

• Like 1

We sailed on the Beyond December 11th and loved the ship. But, having said that the IV was so-so. I wouldn't pay a premium for it, but I did enjoy the extra space and the large window. Unfortunately, I'm the early riser and my usual routine is to go to Cafe al Bacio, get a coffee and a pastry and come back to the room to sit on the balcony and enjoy the early morning peace as the sun rises. Can't really do that with an IV if your spouse is still asleep because the frosted glass doors don't keep the AC in nor do they block the light like curtains.

We never had the windows locked (that we knew of) on our cruise, but we did have the creakiest cabin I've ever experienced! There were large swells on the whole voyage (except for the last night when the ocean was like glass) and the ship couldn't "stabilize" for them because they were so large. I get that and I'm not complaining, but the IV's window was the reason there was so much creaking. My husband's an engineer and he had to figure out what was going on. We talked to some other passengers who experienced the same thing.

I like the privacy of the IV. I like that I can have the window open almost 24x7 for ocean views and I really loved the rest of the room, so for us, it's not a deal breaker, but if I can save enough money, I'll try to get hubby to consider an OV or even an Inside. He's so spoiled he's never had anything but a balcony.

Oh, our tablemates talked about the creaking in the cabin!  They also had IV and asked to be moved but it was not to a location they liked.

We only had weird pops and creaks one or two nights, but it was enough to wake me up.   

I guess we can hope Celebrity reads these boards because there are issues repeatedly discussed.  Hopefully they see a theme and make a change if bookings drop off.   

I sailed with an IV on Viking.  It was in the Great lakes at end of summer so it worked fine, because of cooler weather and rain a couple of times.  I didn't think I would like it but it was ok.  A couple of things: bugs, I think they are going to have to find a way to add a retractable screen.  Also, they had a couple of times bats got in and made there way into the HVAC duct and it took days to get them out.   Anyway, if it was a cool weather trip and the price was right I would do IV, hadn't thought I ever would.   I would never do one in the Caribbean or Med. 

Edited by rmalbers

19 hours ago, 2Long2NxtCrz said:

We sailed on the Beyond December 11th and loved the ship. But, having said that the IV was so-so. I wouldn't pay a premium for it, but I did enjoy the extra space and the large window. Unfortunately, I'm the early riser and my usual routine is to go to Cafe al Bacio, get a coffee and a pastry and come back to the room to sit on the balcony and enjoy the early morning peace as the sun rises. Can't really do that with an IV if your spouse is still asleep because the frosted glass doors don't keep the AC in nor do they block the light like curtains.

We never had the windows locked (that we knew of) on our cruise, but we did have the creakiest cabin I've ever experienced! There were large swells on the whole voyage (except for the last night when the ocean was like glass) and the ship couldn't "stabilize" for them because they were so large. I get that and I'm not complaining, but the IV's window was the reason there was so much creaking. My husband's an engineer and he had to figure out what was going on. We talked to some other passengers who experienced the same thing.

I like the privacy of the IV. I like that I can have the window open almost 24x7 for ocean views and I really loved the rest of the room, so for us, it's not a deal breaker, but if I can save enough money, I'll try to get hubby to consider an OV or even an Inside. He's so spoiled he's never had anything but a balcony.

Towards the front of the edge class ships are what I call cove balconies.  They are true balconies and have a huge outside circular cut out- not a window.  Privacy on both sides.  It is an option.

55 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

Towards the front of the edge class ships are what I call cove balconies.  They are true balconies and have a huge outside circular cut out- not a window.  Privacy on both sides.  It is an option.

True, but there are only a handful of them on the ship and being that far forward is not always the best place to be on a ship. Still not the same open concept of a traditional balcony. 

15 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

True, but there are only a handful of them on the ship and being that far forward is not always the best place to be on a ship. Still not the same open concept of a traditional balcony. 

They are like the balcony on Voyager class of ship 

We had an OV at the front of the ship , my step count was great , it was a smooth ride up front 

Also perfect place to watch an emergency evacuation

I am looking forward to my first infinate verandah!  I live in Florida its always hot, so when we cruise we don't sit out on the balcony due to the fact its always hot.  Now, we will be sitting inside in ac while having that same wonderful view, I truly think finally, I may have my coffee sitting on my balcony and enjoying the cool weather

I also feel these cabins are wonderful for going to cool places such as Alaska, you won't freeze and have to sit outside with a coat on.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

I am looking forward to my first infinate verandah!  I live in Florida its always hot, so when we cruise we don't sit out on the balcony due to the fact its always hot.  Now, we will be sitting inside in ac while having that same wonderful view, I truly think finally, I may have my coffee sitting on my balcony and enjoying the cool weather

I also feel these cabins are wonderful for going to cool places such as Alaska, you won't freeze and have to sit outside with a coat on.

I thought the same thing, until I sailed in one on the Edge in 2019 and would never book an IV again. I hope you enjoy your cruise and maybe you will like the IV, for me it just was not the same experience as a true open balcony. Also we cruise mostly with another couple and being able to open the balcony partition between our cabins gives us even more space.

On 2/15/2023 at 5:51 AM, NMTraveller said:

And I thought that they were having financial difficulties due to Covid,  yet they have plenty of money to build yet another ship?

Yes. Because new ships make them a lot more money than old ones. 

From the earnings call last week:

"Michael Bayley: Vince, it’s Michael. I just have to add one little comment here talking about new ships coming online. Obviously, we opened up to sail Icon of the Seas a few months ago, and that ship literally has been the best-selling product in the history of our business and has been absolutely outstanding in terms of the demand and the pricing that we’re generating for the product. And in fact, it’s really driving a great ’24. I mean we don’t — we never talk about ’24 at the beginning of ’23, obviously, but ’24 is looking very healthy. And a big driver of that is Icon. We’ve had some remarkable stats coming out of Icon."

Elsewhere in the call they mention how newer ships have a lot more onboard spend opportunities and so are a lot more profitable.

And don't forget newer ships are a lot more economical to run. 

39 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I thought the same thing, until I sailed in one on the Edge in 2019 and would never book an IV again. I hope you enjoy your cruise and maybe you will like the IV, for me it just was not the same experience as a true open balcony. Also we cruise mostly with another couple and being able to open the balcony partition between our cabins gives us even more space.

I get what your saying, for me, the IV solves my issues.  Honestly, I really don't get the balcony to sit out, I like it for the extra view and light.  If I use a balcony more than 20 minutes on a cruise, that is a miracle, guess I like to get out and about rather than sit in my cabin, but when I get to Alaska I bet that is where I spend most of my time.  I like the fact we have options.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

I get what your saying, for me, the IV solves my issues.  Honestly, I really don't get the balcony to sit out, I like it for the extra view and light.  If I use a balcony more than 20 minutes on a cruise, that is a miracle, guess I like to get out and about rather than sit in my cabin, but when I get to Alaska I bet that is where I spend most of my time.  I like the fact we have options.

We spent a lot of time on our balcony in Alaska. Most of our cruises now are itinerary driven where there is much more to see from a balcony. My wife sleeps in late in the mornings and I am an early riser. On a cruise I will go out and sit on the balcony for a hour or two until she gets up so I do not bother her. I enjoy the sounds and sea breezes of the open balcony. The big problem was when I did this, opening the IV Window would shut off the AC and the cabin would get hot very quickly. It just doesn't work for us.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, 2Long2NxtCrz said:

Can't really do that with an IV if your spouse is still asleep because the frosted glass doors don't keep the AC in nor do they block the light like curtains.

Haven't done an IV yet (doing one later this year), but I think this will be my biggest issue.  I like having the curtains closed to keep the room dark until everyone in the room is awake.  But before everyone is awake, I like being able to peek out through the curtains in the morning like to check the weather, or whether we are docked, without letting in a ton of daylight.  From what I understand about the IV, that won't be possible.

Edited by time4u2go

1 minute ago, time4u2go said:

Haven't done an IV yet (doing one later this year), but I think this will be my biggest issue.  I like having the curtains closed to keep the room dark until everyone in the room is awake.  But before everyone is awake, I like being able to peek out through the curtains in the morning without letting in a ton of daylight.  From what I understand about the IV, that won't be possible.

That is exactly why we would never book one again. See my post #44 above for why.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

I like being able to peek out through the curtains in the morning like to check the weather, or whether we are docked, without letting in a ton of daylight.  From what I understand about the IV, that won't be possible.

No, that can't be done. There are tracks on both sides of pleated shades to guide them so they go up and down smoothly and stay in place. 

On 2/14/2023 at 7:11 AM, Tyler414 said:

Celebrity has already ordered a 5th E-class ship.  Delivery in Q4 2024

On 2/14/2023 at 7:20 AM, terrydtx said:

I have not been able to find any information on a 5th E Class ship on order, so I figured they were done for now. Even the latest CC article about new cruise ships shows nothing beyond the Ascent on order.

New Cruise Ships on Order | Cruise Critic

On 2/14/2023 at 7:27 AM, Tyler414 said:

I do not recall were I saw it,  I also thought Captain Kate mentioned she knows the name of the 5th ship, but obviously was not telling...

On 2/14/2023 at 8:20 AM, mizLORInj said:

She did mention another ship last week, but as you said, wasn't saying its name other than it was the final one in this class and the name reflected that--also had to be short enough to fit on the stack.

For the 5th E-Class saw on YT Don's family vacation state he was told this ship will have "the most suites ever on a Celebrity ship", only details he shared.  There's a few threads about the name, due to X having it trade marked, leading names are: Pinnacle, Luxe and Elegance

4 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

For the 5th E-Class saw on YT Don's family vacation state he was told this ship will have "the most suites ever on a Celebrity ship", only details he shared.  There's a few threads about the name, due to X having it trade marked, leading names are: Pinnacle, Luxe and Elegance

Doubt it would be Pinnacle since HAL already has a whole class of new ships using that name and they have high end suites called Pinnacle suites.

1 minute ago, terrydtx said:

Doubt it would be Pinnacle since HAL already has a whole class of new ships using that name and they have high end suites called Pinnacle suites.

If the fifth ship is simply a minor evolution, it makes no sense to me to "waste" the name Pinnacle on it.  Pinnacle is the top status for RCI and there are similarly named ships, CCL Liberty and RCI Liberty of the Seas...Who knows