Ask Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings’ CEO: Call for Questions for Frank Del Rio

CCAubs

One of the biggest cruise industry events, Seatrade Cruise Global, is quickly approaching. At the event, cruise line CEOs sit side by side to discuss all things cruising. This year’s panel of esteemed CEOs includes Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings’ President & CEO, Frank Del Rio.

And he wants to hear from Cruise Critic members. 

Do you have a question that you’d love to ask Mr. Del Rio? Are you wondering what’s ahead for onboard dining and entertainment? Have thoughts on how NCLH can leverage technology to improve the cruise experience? Do you have questions about the cruise line’s sustainability efforts? We want to hear from you.

Share your questions below, and your question might be one asked of Mr. Del Rio at this year’s event.

As one of the founders of Oceania, and known as a lover of great food, COVID has had a lasting impact on supply chains and the ability to deliver great food experiences on all cruise lines.   Love of food is a very subjective issue.  When will Oceania reach its pre covid food excellence and when will it be exceeded.

• Like 1

We are on our second ATW cruise.  We were a bit disappointed that we are seeing the same cast production shows, we saw four years ago on the Insignia.  Since there aren’t elaborate sets used, couldn’t they swap shows performed on other ships in the fleet?

We do enjoy them still, but would like some variety…

Having recently taken a cruise on Oceania where excursions were offered that had captive dolphins among other sea creatures would it be possible for Oceania to revisit their policy on offering excursions of this kind? It goes against the environmental decisions Oceania has made lately and is not compatible with a responsible and forward thinking cruise line. 

• Like 3

Just returned from our first Oceania cruise and must say I am disappointed regarding the Cruise as a whole. We had a number of ports cancelled without notice because of biofouling and New Zealand’s requirements to clean the hull of the ship.  Our cruise was not operating in New Zealand waters but the following cruise was. Oceania made the decision to inconvenience our cruise so that it could meet  New Zealands long standing requirements .

We received no explanation or apology whilst on board, we even picked up tender  tickets the morning we were due to visit Kangaroo Island.  As you can imagine passengers were not happy as we were looking forward to visiting Kangaroo Island and the Great Ocean Road and our private arrangements had to be cancelled at very short notice.

Like many we wrote and complained to Oceania on our return home, we have kept in touch with fellow passengers via cruise critic roll call and as of today we have been the only passengers not offered any compensation for the inconvenience.  Passengers from Australia and the US have received a future cruise credit as an apology , however both my husband and myself plus another British couple have received nothing.

Does this happen often and can anyone explain why we are being treated differently. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, CCAubs said:

One of the biggest cruise industry events, Seatrade Cruise Global, is quickly approaching. At the event, cruise line CEOs sit side by side to discuss all things cruising. This year’s panel of esteemed CEOs includes Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings’ President & CEO, Frank Del Rio.

Do you have a question that you’d love to ask Mr. Del Rio? Are you wondering what’s ahead for onboard dining and entertainment? Have thoughts on how NCLH can leverage technology to improve the cruise experience? Do you have questions about the cruise line’s sustainability efforts? We want to hear from you.

Share your questions below, and your question might be one asked of Mr. Del Rio at this year’s event.

My question is for you. Who are you and where to you fit in all this? Are you a Cruise Critic employee? 

29 minutes ago, ORV said:

My question is for you. Who are you and where to you fit in all this? Are you a Cruise Critic employee? 

I am! I've worked for Cruise Critic for nearly 12 years, and oversee PR and communications for the company. We're working with Seatrade to flag questions from real cruisers to help bring the consumer voice to this year's State of the Industry panel.

Hope that helps to clarify!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• LauraS pinned this topic
14 hours ago, CCAubs said:

I am! I've worked for Cruise Critic for nearly 12 years, and oversee PR and communications for the company. We're working with Seatrade to flag questions from real cruisers to help bring the consumer voice to this year's State of the Industry panel.

Hope that helps to clarify!

Perhaps you could help with mine, I am struggling to understand why it seams American, Canadian and Australian guests on our cruise received compensation whilst the British guests  did not.   I don’t want to let this issue rest because it is so unfair, and it will ruin future cruises we have booked with Oceania. My husband does not want to cruise with them again as a matter of principle.

• Like 2

Why is the NCLH shareholder benefit not combinable with ALL cruise fares?  We have given you our money as a show of faith in the company--even through the hard times of COVID--and it seems a small gesture of appreciation that the company should return.

• Like 2

Why did the bio fouling issue occur on both Oceania and Regent voyages.   The regulation has been on the books since 2018 in New Zealand and a special notice was issued by the Australian's stating they would be enforcing these new procedures beginning in mid 2022.

Has Oceania and Regent updated their plans and procedures to be in compliance on future cruises to this region??

• Like 1

Today Riviera was unable to dock in Puerta Plata.  We’ve been told by staff that this has been a common occurrence at this port. Isn’t it time to drop this port from itinerary?

How about bringing back St. Martin? Why have Marina/Riviera not ported there last couple of years and nothing planned for 2023-2025?

• Like 1

On 2/15/2023 at 12:22 PM, CCAubs said:

Will Cruise Critic provide a summary of Mr. Del Rio's responses to these questions following the event?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2023 at 6:13 AM, shepherd really said:

Here's one for Frank.

Now that you raised the air deviation fees are you going to do anything at all to improve the air component of the Oceania experience?

Great question!

• Like 2

Why do some benefit from having the OLifeUltimate while others don't? O has had our $$ for months and when the OUltimate was offered several days ago, our TA was told by O that we already had enough discounts folded into our fare. So we are meant to sit across from our friends from the UK who can drink ad lib during meals and take all the excurisions they want while we are penalized for booking in advance? Yes, there was some $$ differences fares but really, our loyalty counts for nothing??? 23rd yoyage BTW....

On 2/15/2023 at 2:22 PM, CCAubs said:

When does this event happen?

• 2 weeks later...

I have been on 3 Oceania cruises in the last 7 months. Either you have a logistics and procurement issue with food OR the decision was made to cut back. Which is it?

Also, will you fast track Starlink wifi on Oceania? It is time to come into the 21st century.

• Like 2

Is Oceania no longer going to enforce a dress code in its restaurants?  From Cruise Critic:

Here's a photo from Red Ginger on the Sirena in January 2023.  This woman is on her way out of the dining room after dinner.  The Maitre D obviously had no problem with her appearance.  (That's him on the left.)

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2880505-appropriate-dress-for-dining-venues-on-oceania/?do=findComment&comment=65028037

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Haha 1

Is Oceania going to continue to advertise itineraries with ports including their arrival and departure times? If so, will Oceania continue to "optimize arrival and departure times" after guests have booked their cruises claiming it's part of their Sail & Sustain? Why not be up front by advertising fewer ports and shorter hours at the ports in the first place? 

• Like 1