Labadee

NoShoes2

We fell in love with Labadee on our first cruise in 1999. I was trying to figure out when we were last there and due to different itineraries and cancellations it turns out that we haven’t been there in nearly 10 years! I’m excited that we will be back there in 42 days (yes, I’m counting)! I’m sure a lot has changed since then. Can anyone tell me what we can expect?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Not sure it's much different.  Nothing has changed as far as I recall since our first cruise 11 years ago.  Still love to chill at Columbus Cove, grab lunch, sleep, swim, and have the beautiful ship as the backdrop.

There is a nice walking dock now.  Did you ever have to tender?

My thoughts also.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Not sure it's much different.  Nothing has changed as far as I recall since our first cruise 11 years ago.  Still love to chill at Columbus Cove, grab lunch, sleep, swim, and have the beautiful ship as the backdrop.

There is a nice walking dock now.  Did you ever have to tender?

On our first couple of visits we tendered over, but the last time we were there the dock was in place. I do remember being there when the dock was under construction. 

53 minutes ago, NoShoes2 said:

We fell in love with Labadee on our first cruise in 1999. I was trying to figure out when we were last there and due to different itineraries and cancellations it turns out that we haven’t been there in nearly 10 years! I’m excited that we will be back there in 42 days (yes, I’m counting)! I’m sure a lot has changed since then. Can anyone tell me what we can expect?

I have a few photos starting on Post #97 below

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruise5life said:

the roller coaster is fun.  That is all

Maybe the next time we’re there I’ll have to give it a try. Sounds fun.  We’ve done the zip line over and over again and it does not disappoint. “ the longest zip line overwater in the world “. We absolutely love Labadee for its relaxed, tropical paradise feel.  

I remember our very first cruise in 2012 (which included Labadee), I think our first port was Grand Cayman and as I woke up and found ourselves in port, I was like “it feels like we just pulled up to a City. Where is the tropical paradise?  I have since learned of course that you have to go find those nice beaches and remote locations when you get to an island, but in my mind, I was expecting remote, tropical islands. Yeah, I was ignorant.  😄… but I will tell you what, Labadee absolutely was what I had pictured in my mind.

….and still is.

I remember saying, after our first cruise, that I could circle back to Labadee for all the ports, and be perfectly happy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NoShoes2 said:

We will be stopping in Labadee on Monday on Harmony of the Seas.  

I plan to take a lot of pictures and share them on my live review - here:  

We have not been in a very long time ourselves so not sure how much of the compound we will manage to visit but what we do I'll share. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Maybe the next time we’re there I’ll have to give it a try. Sounds fun.  We’ve done the zip line over and over again and it does not disappoint. “ the longest zip line overwater in the world “. We absolutely love Labadee for its relaxed, tropical paradise feel.  

I remember our very first cruise in 2012 (which included Labadee), I think our first port was Grand Cayman and as I woke up and found ourselves in port, I was like “it feels like we just pulled up to a City. Where is the tropical paradise?  I have since learned of course that you have to go find those nice beaches and remote locations when you get to an island, but in my mind, I was expecting remote, tropical islands. Yeah, I was ignorant.  😄… but I will tell you what, Labadee absolutely was what I had pictured in my mind.

….and still is.

I remember saying, after our first cruise, that I could circle back to Labadee for all the ports, and be perfectly happy

I have some videos of the roller coaster ride.  It’s really fun.    I’ll have to upload them.    Still recovering from my 29 days at sea.   

• Like 3

17 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

….and still is.

We feel the same. 

19 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

We have a Cabana at Columbus Cove but are in a suite.  Is there a big difference in the food between Columbus Cove and Barefoot beach?

Barefoot Beach usually has an upgraded buffet, but it  has declined over the years.   Now we have cold shrimp, shrimp salad, grilled vegs, watermelon salad,  in addition to all  regular buffet items. Sometimes it can be different depending on the ship,  as that is where the food is from. 

You can take a walk over, sign in to  Barefoot Beach and take a look.   Hard for me to make an exact comparison as I've had access to Barefoot for the past 5 or so years.  

M

• Thanks 1

@cruisegirl1 Thank you. We certainly plan to go to Barefoot Beach.  That is where we went last time we were there and the buffet was good.  I just hope the ribs are warm and flavorful. 

The good news is, if we don't like what we find there, we can always come back to the ship and have lunch onboard. 

17 minutes ago, dizzyr said:

I’ll be there in May for the first time. There is a travel advisory for Haiti right now because of civil unrest but I’m assuming that doesn’t really apply to the private islands?

Labadee is not an island 

On 2/17/2023 at 3:04 PM, DaKahuna said:

@cruisegirl1 Thank you. We certainly plan to go to Barefoot Beach.  That is where we went last time we were there and the buffet was good.  I just hope the ribs are warm and flavorful. 

The good news is, if we don't like what we find there, we can always come back to the ship and have lunch onboard. 

FYI. There were no ribs in December when we were on Harmony.   But the chicken was really good.  The nice thing was relatively not crowded. 

• Like 1

On 2/16/2023 at 7:25 PM, Tree_skier said:

We have a Cabana at Columbus Cove but are in a suite.  Is there a big difference in the food between Columbus Cove and Barefoot beach?

Been a while since we did Barefoot but I believe there's a few less options. Basically burgers, dogs, and chicken at Columbus Cove. The cabanas were the draw for us at Barefoot not the buffet. Royal priced right into the bungalows at Columbus Cove. That buffet works for us.