Celebrity Laundry Questions

lx200gps

We're on our second X trip in May, on the Equinox to the ABCs. Inevitably, when I open my suitcase in the room, my shirts look like I slept many nights in them. On our Princess trips, I would walk the hall down to the laundromat and quickly iron them, and on our two Norwegian trips, we would ask the steward and he/she would bring an iron and ironing board which is an even better option. I understand that Celebrity do not have laundromats, but do they at least have irons and ironing boards available for delivery to your room? Failing that, what is a typical turnaround time for sending items to the ship's laundry for simple pressing? Thanks in advance.

I do not think they will bring you an iron/ironing board.  They will steam/press or iron your clothes.

I've had 1 day turnaround when handing in my clothes first thing in the morning and also 2 day turnaround (ie Monday morning get back Wednesday afternoon)

If you don't know about these packing cubes  - check these out (or look for similar on Amazon) - we use these for my husband's button down shirts, and they really help.  If you fold/pack neatly and put the clothes in these - they come out looking really nice.  Classic Medium 3pc Packing Cubes | eBags

and specifically for shirts (with a special plastic "folder aid"

CTS Packing Folder | eBags

Use Wrinkle Release. You could always put in the bathroom and turn the shower to hot. That seems to work better than sending them our for pressing. When I send my slacks out they seem to always come back with "tracks". The laundry has one day service for a extra charge. Normally takes two days.

• Like 2

Wife and I are huge fans of wrinkle releaser. Even if you need something in a relatively short period of time, spraying it and shaking it out for a little bit gets rid of everything except maybe the most stubborn of creases, and if you can get the next day's clothes sprayed and hanging for 12-24 hours, they look nearly perfect the next day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

We're on our second X trip in May, on the Equinox to the ABCs. Inevitably, when I open my suitcase in the room, my shirts look like I slept many nights in them. On our Princess trips, I would walk the hall down to the laundromat and quickly iron them, and on our two Norwegian trips, we would ask the steward and he/she would bring an iron and ironing board which is an even better option. I understand that Celebrity do not have laundromats, but do they at least have irons and ironing boards available for delivery to your room? 

no they do not.  And as I am sure you already know, personal irons are not allowed on board nor are clothes steamers.

20 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

no they do not.  And as I am sure you already know, personal irons are not allowed on board nor are clothes steamers.

Yes, I'm well aware of what I can and can't bring on board.  I was not planning to bring an iron and ironing board with me on vacation, I was hoping that the ship could supply them, as other lines do.

Edited by lx200gps
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, ehall said:

I do not think they will bring you an iron/ironing board.  They will steam/press or iron your clothes.

I've had 1 day turnaround when handing in my clothes first thing in the morning and also 2 day turnaround (ie Monday morning get back Wednesday afternoon)

If you don't know about these packing cubes  - check these out (or look for similar on Amazon) - we use these for my husband's button down shirts, and they really help.  If you fold/pack neatly and put the clothes in these - they come out looking really nice.  Classic Medium 3pc Packing Cubes | eBags

and specifically for shirts (with a special plastic "folder aid"

CTS Packing Folder | eBags

Thanks. My concern is that I would be submitting my laundry request on Embarkation/turnaround day, when the ship's laundry will be slammed with turnaround ship's laundry as well as all the folks taking advantage of the free laundry perq. I will give Wrinkle Release a try at home first, but I'm pretty fussy about having my dress shirts very well pressed, which is why I prefer to do them myself. Worst case, I'll just send mine down as soon as I can on embarkation day and pay the extra for next-day delivery.

Life is short, wrinkle free shirts can be had very cheap...TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Ross etc sell wrinkle free button downs for under $20 and in some cases under $10.  Even logoed shirts like Polo and Lacoste sell wrinkle free but would obviously be far more expensive

If you don't want to do that, hot shower, wrinkle release and a hair dryer are what many cruisers swear by (I have wrinkle free shirts)

You cannot bring an iron

Edit to add, I travel at least twice a month and am on team roll.  I've tried cubes and they're just not for me

Edited by NutsAboutGolf
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, lx200gps said:

Yes, I'm well aware of what I can and can't bring on board.  I was not planning to bring an iron and ironing board with me on vacation, I was hoping that the ship could supply them, as other lines do.

What other ships bring irons to your cabin?  They are a fire hazard...

1 hour ago, lx200gps said:

Thanks. My concern is that I would be submitting my laundry request on Embarkation/turnaround day, when the ship's laundry will be slammed with turnaround ship's laundry as well as all the folks taking advantage of the free laundry perq. I will give Wrinkle Release a try at home first, but I'm pretty fussy about having my dress shirts very well pressed, which is why I prefer to do them myself. Worst case, I'll just send mine down as soon as I can on embarkation day and pay the extra for next-day delivery.

Look for recipes online for homemade wrinkle release.  Works well with far less chemicals.  I'm not going to claim it works like a pressing or steaming, but it's pretty good.  It can also freshen something that may have been worn for just a little while and can be worn again.  If you press and roll clothes in tissue paper, you'd be surprised at how nice they stay.  Best of luck and enjoy your cruise.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Julma said:

Look for recipes online for homemade wrinkle release.  Works well with far less chemicals.  I'm not going to claim it works like a pressing or steaming, but it's pretty good.  It can also freshen something that may have been worn for just a little while and can be worn again.  If you press and roll clothes in tissue paper, you'd be surprised at how nice they stay.  Best of luck and enjoy your cruise.

We have been doing this for years.  Bring an empty spray bottle, and a few dryer sheets like Bounce.  In your cabin put a dryer sheet in the spray bottle and just add water.  A very effective and inexpensive wrinkle release.  No need to carry the heavy liquid bottles in your suitcase.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, kokopelli-az said:

@lx200gps If you send your shirts out for pressing, here's a price list from a couple of weeks ago on the Reflection.   Cost is 50% more for same day turnaround.   Elite passengers get some free laundry service.   

001.jpg

Perfect, thanks very much.  ;o)

14 hours ago, shirazcruiser said:

I purchased a wide flat iron that I use exclusively for our clothes.  I can touch up almost anything with it.  It's a great alternative to an iron and it's on the acceptable list. 

That is brilliant!  Can't believe I never thought of that. Definitely taking mine next month. 

20 minutes ago, landlocked406 said:

That is brilliant!  Can't believe I never thought of that. Definitely taking mine next month. 

I fold a shirt in half and work to the edge and smooth out any creases I cause near the center, then fold that portion in half. On longer cruises I have to wash the 2 pairs of jeans we each bring and they look like they just came out of the cleaners with nice creases.  I'm the kind of person who can't wear a t-shirt twice so I'm always washing clothes and pressing them.  I get free laundry on Princess, Celebrity and RCCL, but just can't bring myself to pay the exorbinant pressing charges. 

23 hours ago, shirazcruiser said:

I purchased a wide flat iron that I use exclusively for our clothes.  I can touch up almost anything with it.  It's a great alternative to an iron and it's on the acceptable list. 

Do you have an example? Thanks

On 2/24/2023 at 5:11 PM, shirazcruiser said:

I fold a shirt in half and work to the edge and smooth out any creases I cause near the center, then fold that portion in half. On longer cruises I have to wash the 2 pairs of jeans we each bring and they look like they just came out of the cleaners with nice creases.  I'm the kind of person who can't wear a t-shirt twice so I'm always washing clothes and pressing them.  I get free laundry on Princess, Celebrity and RCCL, but just can't bring myself to pay the exorbinant pressing charges. 

There is a much simpler solution that works for us. When you put your free laundry in add a large note on the slip saying "Please return the laundry on hangers, Thankyou." The items will come back just as if they had been pressed. Don't forget the "please" and "thankyou" as they don't have to do it but it has never failed for us. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, the penguins said:

There is a much simpler solution that works for us. When you put your free laundry in add a large note on the slip saying "Please return the laundry on hangers, Thankyou.

That's a great idea for DH laundry...I don't dryer my jeans and special t-shirts so I'm still stick "ironing" my items.  That should cut down on my cruise "chores"!  Thank you!! 

5 hours ago, shirazcruiser said:

That's a great idea for DH laundry...I don't dryer my jeans and special t-shirts so I'm still stick "ironing" my items.  That should cut down on my cruise "chores"!  Thank you!! 

I would try the same tactic. Separate your items in a with a note that reads " please wash only, do not put in drier and return on hangers. Thank you". You could run this past Guest Relations - I would go early morning or late evening (after 11) when the staff are bored.