First Celebrity cruise

cruises89

Going on our first Celebrity cruise in July and this will be our second cruise overall. The first one was last year on Wonder of the Seas in the Mediterranean. Wonder was amazing but we are looking for a more relaxed/adult experience. (We are a couple in our mid-30s). 

The ship is Celebrity Edge and the itinerary is Rome - La Spezia-Ajaccio-Portofino, Cannes- At sea-Palma Mallorca- Barcelona. We have never been to Rome before and will be staying there for 2 days prior to the cruise. Last year we did Cinque Terre-It was stunning but way overcrowded so are not planning to go again. Any other reccomandations for La Spezia? We are thinking of Portovenere- easy with a taxi from the port? 

How is the ship experience compared to Royal during school holidays? Are there fewer kids even in the summer? How is the food? Have read mixed reviews lately that the food quality has dropped. Have always heard that Celebrity food is a step up from Royal. We have an onboard credit- should we use it on specialty restaurants? We had a dining package on Wonder but felt it was a waste since the included food was just as good or better than the $ restaurants.  

2 hours ago, cruises89 said:

Going on our first Celebrity cruise in July and this will be our second cruise overall. The first one was last year on Wonder of the Seas in the Mediterranean. Wonder was amazing but we are looking for a more relaxed/adult experience. (We are a couple in our mid-30s). 

The ship is Celebrity Edge and the itinerary is Rome - La Spezia-Ajaccio-Portofino, Cannes- At sea-Palma Mallorca- Barcelona. We have never been to Rome before and will be staying there for 2 days prior to the cruise. Last year we did Cinque Terre-It was stunning but way overcrowded so are not planning to go again. Any other reccomandations for La Spezia? We are thinking of Portovenere- easy with a taxi from the port? 

How is the ship experience compared to Royal during school holidays? Are there fewer kids even in the summer? How is the food? Have read mixed reviews lately that the food quality has dropped. Have always heard that Celebrity food is a step up from Royal. We have an onboard credit- should we use it on specialty restaurants? We had a dining package on Wonder but felt it was a waste since the included food was just as good or better than the $ restaurants.  

Your best bet for finding your answer regarding La Spezia is to visit the ports of call board and pose that portion of your question there. 

regarding your other questions, Celebrity attracts fewer children than Royal but there will definitely be an uptick in the child count if you are traveling during the summer. Not nearly as many as Royal tho. 

I’ve read reports about the food as well. We are cruising on Saturday after being gone since 2019 so I can’t personally assess the changes until we return. I will say that I have read great reviews about food on your specific ship both here and on other sites. 

The obc can be used on just about anything. If your credit is from Celebrity, you can start using it right away via your cruise planner. I’d look at the excursion offers in the planner and see if anything appeals before looking at the dining. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cruises89 said:

I was on Beyond last summer (end of August) for Italy/Greece, there were some children but no where near other lines. Quite honestly the only time I noticed kids was maybe the buffet and the pool area.

I am keeping an open mind on food as I board next week. But I would recommend going to Eden - I really enjoyed that restaurant.

• Like 3

In Rome, decide which sites you want to tour and then book a hotel within walking distance to a few and then taxi to the others. Of course, you can book a private driver, but that adds $$$ to your trip. Look up RickSteves.com and also buy his book on Rome to learn how to navigate on your own.

Edited by Markanddonna
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cruises89 said:

Last year we did Cinque Terre-It was stunning but way overcrowded so are not planning to go again. Any other reccomandations for La Spezia? We are thinking of Portovenere- easy with a taxi from the port? 

You can go by bus to Portovenere or on the other side to Lerici. In both cases the bus stop is "Comune" directly on the big square opposite the terminal. No idea about taxis.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Your best bet for finding your answer regarding La Spezia is to visit the ports of call board and pose that portion of your question there. 

regarding your other questions, Celebrity attracts fewer children than Royal but there will definitely be an uptick in the child count if you are traveling during the summer. Not nearly as many as Royal tho. 

I’ve read reports about the food as well. We are cruising on Saturday after being gone since 2019 so I can’t personally assess the changes until we return. I will say that I have read great reviews about food on your specific ship both here and on other sites. 

The obc can be used on just about anything. If your credit is from Celebrity, you can start using it right away via your cruise planner. I’d look at the excursion offers in the planner and see if anything appeals before looking at the dining. 

Sometimes specific port boards are not very active so for answers sometimes you need to post questions where you are more likely to receive a response. Since the pandemic the boards are not as active as before, especially the rolls calls.

We went on our first Celebrity cruise in January and were so impressed we immediately booked another one. We had also seen the reviews about the food, but we found the selections and quality to be very good. We did book specialty dining at Tuscan Grill and Lawn Club Grill (on Reflection) and thoroughly enjoyed both. 

The biggest impression was the more relaxed and "adult" feeling compared with Royal and Carnival. Both of those lines have some things they do better than Celebrity (non-stop activities, included dining venues), but when we want a more relaxed cruise Celebrity will be the first line we look to.   

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, cruises89 said:

Last year we did Cinque Terre-It was stunning but way overcrowded so are not planning to go again. Any other reccomandations for La Spezia? We are thinking of Portovenere- easy with a taxi from the port? 

You're going to love The Edge we did. One of the best ship tours we ever did was at the port of La Spezia it is called Tuscan Farmhouse Experience. We are not big on ships tours but this one was excellent. For hotels in Rome check out The Double Tree by Hilton great location for walking to lots of the sites you will want to see. If you need help with what tours to book in Rome let me know. All the tours we did were with a max of 8 people Trip Advisor has great tours listed for you to look at and if you are a plus member you get a discount. And hotel discounts also.

19 hours ago, cruises89 said:

OK....we sailed Princess for our 1st cruise 20 yrs ago & LOVED it.

Did DCL, RCCL...good but not better.

Then 10 yrs ago did Celebrity & agreed..it was BETTER. Service, food. YES.

We did Anthem of the Seas in 2018. It was brilliant. Better than Celebrity, no, but some nice "extras"

BUT

We did Edge in 2021...then Apex in 2022.

OMG

Celebrity Eclass just took IT UP A NOTCH.

The MDRs are as good as many specialty restaurants on other lines.

BUT YOU MUST TRY EDEN.

OMG.

NOW...all this being said, we find mainstream lines more alike than different.

But again...you are sailing Celebrity Eclass...which we find to be a step above all others.

Enjoy

Edited by KKB
  • Like 1

Guest 4-2-N-8

I think you'll be happy with your decision to try Celebrity.

Unsure of your stateroom type, but I think there is evidence from many that room type may be a demarcation line when it comes to food/service; namely, Retreat versus non-Retreat. 

Having said this, my S.O. and I tried Beyond earlier this month and loved it. Small Luxury ships don't do well by my S.O. as she gets seasick at the drop of the mooring lines, so we gave Celebrity a try. Chose Beyond for the specific room type and what it included.

However, I think no matter which room you choose, it is a beautiful ship, and I compare that to anything out there.

We'll be on an 11-night Mediterranean out of Rome in August, back on Celebrity Beyond. Glad we have booked it.

I think you will be happy with the E-class.

We have booked an infinity stateroom, have heard the pros and cons but I think we would enjoy it. In our last cruise with didn't use our balcony that much. 

We have paid for a classic drink package through Celebrity (The all included option at their website), but are drinks gratuities included? (The 20 % service charge) On Wonder, we didn't have to pay extra for drink gratuities at the end of our cruise..

Edited by cruises89
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

I think the food quality has gone down however for the cruise we were on this month I think it was acceptable. But not great. Not 4 or 5 star restaurant quality.

of course food can be somewhat subjective.

When was the food on Celebrity 4 or 5 star restaurant quality?  I don't recall that.   The MDR food is more like banquet hall food quality.

7 hours ago, cruises89 said:

We have booked an infinity stateroom, have heard the pros and cons but I think we would enjoy it. In our last cruise with didn't use our balcony that much. 

We have paid for a classic drink package through Celebrity (The all included option at their website), but are drinks gratuities included? (The 20 % service charge) On Wonder, we didn't have to pay extra for drink gratuities at the end of our cruise..

We, like you, find we don't use our balcony as much as we think we will.

Plus Europe is so port intensive there isn't much time to use it.

I think you will appreciate how the IV extends the room space.

The drinks gratuity was included in your fare so you are good.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

When was the food on Celebrity 4 or 5 star restaurant quality?  I don't recall that.   The MDR food is more like banquet hall food quality.

ENTIRELY disagree--I'd put banquet hall food at a 1 star at best....I haven't found MDR food to be that bad on any line I have sailed...

I have cruised 14 times since start up after COVID, 4 with Celebrity (3 E class).

Celebrity food still is a good notch above other lines, especially E class.

I'm not paying for a 5 star experience (this is a mainstream line not a luxury line).

But the 4 MDRs on Eclass are a step above Celebrity's regular MDR food which I find to be very good.

Funny, we have not seen any particular decline in quality of food since start up.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KKB said:

ENTIRELY disagree--I'd put banquet hall food at a 1 star at best....I haven't found MDR food to be that bad on any line I have sailed...

I have cruised 14 times since start up after COVID, 4 with Celebrity (3 E class).

Celebrity food still is a good notch above other lines, especially E class.

I'm not paying for a 5 star experience (this is a mainstream line not a luxury line).

But the 4 MDRs on Eclass are a step above Celebrity's regular MDR food which I find to be very good.

Funny, we have not seen any particular decline in quality of food since start up.

I'm glad you have not experienced a decline in quality.  Many posters here have reported this but others have not.  It seems E-Class MDR's appear to be more favorable.  Anyway what I meant by Banquet food is that many, many people have to be served with similar dishes simultaneously.  So expecting 5-star restaurant quality is too high of a standard.

Just now, TeeRick said:

I'm glad you have not experienced a decline in quality.  Many posters here have reported this but others have not.  It seems E-Class MDR's appear to be more favorable.  Anyway what I meant by Banquet food is that many, many people have to be served with similar dishes simultaneously.  So expecting 5-star restaurant quality is too high of a standard.

Gotcha...my brain went to bad wedding meals... blech

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Subjective, so if you thought it was banquet hall quality before then it is one step below now.

• Haha 1

I can highly recommend "Rome in Limo" to book tours at any ports in Italy.

We used them in Livorno to take us to the Tower of Pisa and then onto the town of Lucca where my DH and son played a round of disc golf on a local course overlooking the scenery. We finished the day with lunch at a local restaurant in Lucca before heading back to port.

We also used them in Rome and in Naples. In Naples, we arranged for a tour guide at Pompeii which added so much to our experience- she had a 3 ring binder to show us comparison pictures to understand what each building was like back in the day. We also toured Positano and the Amalfi coast with our driver- spectacular.

They do an amazing job customizing your day to fit your interests and stay ahead/away from the crowds. Our party consisted of myself, DH and our 12 yr old son, and we were able to take breaks throughout the days to grab gelato and drinks as we pleased.

Hi OP,

Regarding your stop in Rome, if your hotel is not booked yet, I would recommand you check if the Navona Queen Hotel could be suitable for you.

The location is fantastic! Within 5 minutes walking distance, you will find little shops, restaurants and pedestrians streets leading to the Piazza Navona and the Pantheon.

Within 30 minutes walking distance, you can reach the Vatican and its museums in one direction, while going another way, you can reach the coliseum,

and the forum. In another direction, the Trevi, Fontana and the Spanish steps.

The hotel is more like a bed and breakfast. Our room was very clean, though a bit small by American Standards. Breakfast was very good.

Furthermore, the hotel has a roof top terrace with a bar. Beautiful views and for a fee, you can rent a hot tub.

Being a Bed and Breakfast, the price was quite interesting in comparison to other lodging in the areas. 

If I ever have the chance to go to Rome again, I will book this place with no hesitation.

Enjoy your cruise! 

• Like 1

Guest 4-2-N-8
2 hours ago, cachouonacruise said:

Hi OP,

Regarding your stop in Rome, if your hotel is not booked yet, I would recommand you check if the Navona Queen Hotel could be suitable for you.

The location is fantastic! Within 5 minutes walking distance, you will find little shops, restaurants and pedestrians streets leading to the Piazza Navona and the Pantheon.

Within 30 minutes walking distance, you can reach the Vatican and its museums in one direction, while going another way, you can reach the coliseum,

and the forum. In another direction, the Trevi, Fontana and the Spanish steps.

The hotel is more like a bed and breakfast. Our room was very clean, though a bit small by American Standards. Breakfast was very good.

Furthermore, the hotel has a roof top terrace with a bar. Beautiful views and for a fee, you can rent a hot tub.

Being a Bed and Breakfast, the price was quite interesting in comparison to other lodging in the areas. 

If I ever have the chance to go to Rome again, I will book this place with no hesitation.

Enjoy your cruise! 

That's a great point.

Book well ahead if in Rome (and other major tourist destinations) in Europe. 

My S.O. and I like Palazzo Manfredi. It would be difficult (but not impossible) to replicate the views you can get from the suites. They do have some packages that, while a bit pricey, will no doubt ensure your stay is unforgettable.

As for tours, we opt for private and customize our days and itinerary.

We also do private transfers for port and airport. It's really nice to go point to point and wait for nothing and not have to handle luggage except to check in and at baggage claim.

Not sure of your intended spend, but again, if your priority is unforgettable, these are certainly options.

Edited by 4-2-N-8

That is going to be an amazing cruise! We did a med cruise in 2016 roundtrip out of Barcelona and went to the ports of Palma de Mallorca and Citivecchia that are also on your list. The island of Palma de Mallorca is gorgeous and a very popular vacation spot for Europeans. We hired an independent tour guide who took us to out-of-the-way places and we were blown away. The port for Rome, Citivecchia, is about an hour away from the city of Rome, and I highly advise doing a tour. The train system is a little confusing and my husband and I couldn't find anyone at the train station who spoke English and even though we left Rome four hours before our ship was due to leave port, we were actually dock runners in the end because of a series of mishaps. We had tried to do the sightseeing on our own, and a tour would have been much, much better, whether with a private company or one through the cruise. We needed more handholding at that port than any other! Regardless, we still loved Rome enough that we went back the very next year for a vacation with our three children and toured Italy for two weeks. Such a gorgeous land. 

As for Barcelona, you must spend an extra day or two there if you can manage it. It is an amazing city. One of my all-time favorites. Inside La Sagrada Familia with its stained glass windows and the sun shining through, making patterns on the walls, the floors, the stunning architecture, is the most beautiful sight I've ever seen in my life. 

Edited by njsmom

17 hours ago, cruises89 said:

The price for All Included includes the gratuity.

There is a variation on the question which I don’t understand. But since you start and end in the EU, maybe there is also a VAT charge added onboard? I have seen and not unraveled discussions of this question. Something to check on?