Cabin Upgrade once Onboard

Cruiser 5452

2 hours ago, Cruiser 5452 said:

Has anyone every gone to the Customer Service Desk once on aboard and requested a. Cabin upgrade?  Were you successful?  How expensive was it?   Looking to upgrade from an inside cabin to an ocean view or balcony cabin.

Your best bet will be to used the MoveUp process.   While onboard upgrades during the restart at reduced capacities were not uncommon they were prior to Covid.  Now that they are sailing close to capacity and with the current belt tightening by Celebrity they are doing everything to maintain pricing which would include not giving upgrades away.

• Like 2

Yes.  Our first Edge cruise we booked an infinite balcony cabin.  After what I heard about the cabin, I wanted to upgrade.  After I boarded the ship, I immediately went to Customer service.  I did get the S2.  Paid $800 additional.  A bargain.  However the ship wasn't full. My DH and I were very lucky.  Pre pandemic. It was  a couple of weeks after the inauguarl sailing.  

We didn't officially move to the cabin until after we were about to set sail.  Now that ships are sailing almost full or full, chances are diminished.  Now they push the move up, which is very expensive, IMO

Edited by Cruise a holic

You can always ask, but it is best to use the Move Up program to do that.  Also, I advise making notes of what higher level cabins are costing now.  I'd be willing to bet money that sometimes people bid more with Move Up than had they booked the higher level cabin originally!

And FWIW responses on pre-pandemic sailings, or those soon after sailing restart when capacity was very low are really not indicative of what might happen going forward.  Not meaning to criticize anyone providing that feedback, just suggesting you consider timing when you evaluate your next steps.

Pre-covid we always saw a sign on the desk at GS saying something like "We are sailing at full capacity.  No extra cabins."  Not exact wording.  I guess a lot of people asked and they wanted to prevent big line-ups just so people could hear "no".   If it's important to upgrade then you should probably do it ahead of time.  

17 hours ago, Cruiser 5452 said:

WRK2Cruise.  I have several bids on the Celebrity MoveUp program.  Sailing is about 3 weeks out.  Ship still has over 50 balcony cabins and over 100 ocean view cabins open.  No news from MoveUp yet.

MoveUp bids are processed up until 48 hours before the cruise so there's no harm in waiting to see if one of your bids is accepted.

• Like 1

I tried it moving from AQ to a SS.   The move up minimum was $1500 pp. that was too much for my budget.  We were doing a B2B and was curious about moving up.  I seen that there were a lot of suites available doing a dummy booking.   I asked at GR 2 days before the end of our 1st cruise.  They said they would get back to us.  Didn’t hear from them.  When the 2nd cruise started I called them again.  They said they would look into it.  On the 3rd day I finally got a message on our phone.   It would be $1500 pp.   No thanks.   We already lost 3 days.  And in all honesty I wouldn’t have taken it if it was offered during the first cruise.   It was a 7 day cruise and I don’t feel a SS is worth an extra $3000 for 7 days.   

We have been in a few SS before and contrary to what many say that once you sail in a suite it is hard to go back.  We have sailed more times in AQ after being in a SS than in one.  You have to evaluate the added value and for us it isn’t worth $400 plus per day.  

This is my opinion and others may differ.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

On 3/7/2023 at 3:55 PM, wrk2cruise said:

Your best bet will be to used the MoveUp process.   While onboard upgrades during the restart at reduced capacities were not uncommon they were prior to Covid.  Now that they are sailing close to capacity and with the current belt tightening by Celebrity they are doing everything to maintain pricing which would include not giving upgrades away.

When you use the Move Up program do you receive the new Captain club points for the new cabin? ( move from veranda to concierge is a difference between 3 and 5 points per night)

2 minutes ago, greendoc said:

When you use the Move Up program do you receive the new Captain club points for the new cabin? ( move from veranda to concierge is a difference between 3 and 5 points per night)

No you receive the points for the originally booked category.

1. Try to find out, before you go, how full the ship is. The more unsold cabins, the more likely they will be willing to move you, once on board. But it will likely be to a cabin of their choosing, not yours.

2. It's very helpful to have a good reason to move. On a previous cruise we were subject to random vibration noises in our inside cabin wall, day or night. Legally, you are entitled to "quiet possession" (unless they have alerted you beforehand). We asked someone to investigate. Short story - they gave us the option to move to a balcony, no charge. To be fair, the new cabin had corrosion issues on the balcony - probably why it was empty. We had a look first and said - yes! We can live with a little corrosion, at that price.

3. Ask - the worst they can say is 'no'. If they do, at least you'll know you haven't missed an opportunity.

4. Be sure to make your request reasonable and be prepared to say why you need to move out of your existing cabin.

Normally I either win a bid or am notified at 48 hours pre cruise.

Last year I got rejected for a CS to RS upgrade but the night before the cruise I got a call from Shoreside Concierge and they had given us a complimentary upgrade.   The passenger in the RS had tested positive.   We had to use original documents an handwritten luggage tag as the manifest was locked and already submitted to homeland security.

Another cruise we bid on a RS and did not win the bid.   I inquired on board as it was sill available at 47 hours prior to cruise.    The got back to me and wanted $1,800 pp which was twice the maximum bid and more than I could have upgraded paying full price.    I declined and they sailed with the cabin empty.  I was told that the decision and pricing was controlled by the Revenue Manager.

• Thanks 1

On 3/10/2023 at 11:35 AM, Jim_Iain said:

Normally I either win a bid or am notified at 48 hours pre cruise.

Last year I got rejected for a CS to RS upgrade but the night before the cruise I got a call from Shoreside Concierge and they had given us a complimentary upgrade.   The passenger in the RS had tested positive.   We had to use original documents an handwritten luggage tag as the manifest was locked and already submitted to homeland security.

Another cruise we bid on a RS and did not win the bid.   I inquired on board as it was sill available at 47 hours prior to cruise.    The got back to me and wanted $1,800 pp which was twice the maximum bid and more than I could have upgraded paying full price.    I declined and they sailed with the cabin empty.  I was told that the decision and pricing was controlled by the Revenue Manager.

Hi Jim, did you inquire at the Guest Service or the Suite Concierge? Thank you.