What is the best Travel Insurance for an 87 and 84 year old

Can anyone help me for a suggestion for Insurance Company to insure wife and I for a 12 day cruise around Southern Australia. Some pre-existing conditions apply. Cruise is booked and have got a great cabin but now no Insurance and some of the Insurance Companies charge more than half the cruise cost.

Thank you

49 minutes ago, Sailaway John said:

Can anyone help me for a suggestion for Insurance Company to insure wife and I for a 12 day cruise around Southern Australia. Some pre-existing conditions apply. Cruise is booked and have got a great cabin but now no Insurance and some of the Insurance Companies charge more than half the cruise cost.

Thank you

You need to get your insurance 14 days or before initial deposit if you want pre-existing conditions to be covered. You are too late for that. Yes, ins expensive for your ages. Get use to it. Plan as part of trip cost. You will be glad you have it if something happens & it is too easy to fall at your ages.

I get Allianz. You might check on Celebrity ins & see about cost.

I am not involved in the insurance industry at all (so not pushing any brand for any commission) but this site might be useful for you:

https://www.finder.com.au/travel-insurance-for-over-80#over-80s

I am not 100% sure on the comment by CU64 on pre-exisiting conditions. I have never heard that before and usually take out insurance after having booked and deposited but before final payment. Depending on who is cruising with me, there can be pre-existing conditions.

Whatever company you go with, I am sorry but it will be expensive. I have noticed a big jump in mine now I am over 70.

Just don't do what I heard someone else do recently - the lady in question is over 80 and was quite put out at the cost of insurance for her first cruise. She was pleased she got a cheap policy through NRMA but when my friend checked it, she noticed there was no coverage for a cruise! 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, CU64 said:

You need to get your insurance 14 days or before initial deposit if you want pre-existing conditions to be covered. You are too late for that. Yes, ins expensive for your ages. Get use to it. Plan as part of trip cost. You will be glad you have it if something happens & it is too easy to fall at your ages.

Sorry, I don't understand what you are saying. Are you talking about the ages of the OP and his wife that you have to have the insurance before you pay the initial deposit to be covered for pre-existing conditions?

Edited by possum52

1 hour ago, Sailaway John said:

Thank you

Try National Seniors Insurance and Qantas Insurance.  

We are one 80year old and one under, both with pre-existing. We have recently used NRMA, but Allianz will also cover you with competitive pricing and also Qantas. I found Aust Seniors to be more expensive than others and loading for pre-existing can vary somewhat between different companies for the same conditions. You could also try Insure and Go. Unfortunately once you hit eighty it is expensive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CU64 said:

I notice that you are in SoCal. I don't know that your advice applies here in Australia. As a "Senior Citizen" myself - with pre-existings - there has never been any mention of timing regarding purchase of a Travel Insuranc plan, including the acceptance of pre-existings 

• Like 1

Buy your insurance when you deposit. I always did. It will be expensive at your ages but try one cover. Good luck. With all due respect John, perhaps you might consider retiring from cruising, I have, no big deal.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sailaway John said:

Thank you

Hi 

Don't know if you have a credit card, but if you are with one of these, I believe their free CC travel insurance does not have an age limit stipulated.

HSBC
Bank of Queensland Gold
Suncorp Platinum
Macquarie Bank
Heritage CC (Visa Platinum)

However they do not cover for Covid, but if the cruise is an Australian coastal cruise I don't believe proof of covid insurance is required for the cruise.

I have no connection to any of them, so you would need to check with your bank if it is one of them.

Regards

4 hours ago, Sailaway John said:

Thank you

John I can't advise you re insurance, looks like others have given some good ones.

Just wanted to say glad you are both still out there cruising and hope you are well enjoying the Mid North coast rain!! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

Buy your insurance when you deposit. I always did. It will be expensive at your ages but try one cover. Good luck. With all due respect John, perhaps you might consider retiring from cruising, I have, no big deal.

Les, I know a lot of people that insure as soon as they book, not sure what the other poster meant regards pre existing are not covered though.

Do you remember Tom "Welshfargo' or the Welshies as we called them, they are 87yrs now and have stopped cruising, so sad as we had many great cruises with them as did some others on here.🥲

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CU64 said:

You need to get your insurance 14 days or before initial deposit if you want pre-existing conditions to be covered. You are too late for that.

I believe that's the case in the US but it is certainly not the case in Australia - where the OP is located

Try Insure and Go - https://www.insureandgo.com.au/ - one of the questions they ask is age related and they cover p to 100 year olds (we should be so lucky) - they also cover many pre-existing conditions (the only one I've found that will even consider covering mine)

Yes it will cost more to cover your pre-existing conditions - but you can hardly be surprised at that given the increased risk to the insurer and I've found the extra premium which they will clearly identify isn't too bad

From discussions with older friends in the US it seems that we are charged a lot less by insurers as we get older or have pre-existing conditions than they are in the US

Edited by Stickman1990

Have done a lot of research into this.  Over 70 and with multiple pre existing conditions.  Be wary of credit card insurance and check for age limits and cover for pre existing conditions.  Cover for pre existing conditions varies widely between companies.  This year i have gone with COTA, how good it really is, remains to be seen. Have been cruising 3 or 4 times year since 2007 and have never claimed. Damaged my camera once but by the time depreciation and excess kicked in wasn’t worth the effort.

Make sure you read the PDS carefully for whichever insurance you choose, even though it is hard work.

You really need to have travel insurance, just in case.  Good luck.

• Like 1

Not sure how it would be for you, but for me (under 50) this was really cheap and seemed to be enough for my needs. It's a CoverMore insurance, and looks to be equivalent to their International Comprehensive plan, but for cheaper.

https://auspost.com.au/travel-essentials/cruise-travel-insurance

Edited by cruise_critical

10 hours ago, Gwendy said:

Have done a lot of research into this.  Over 70 and with multiple pre existing conditions.  Be wary of credit card insurance and check for age limits and cover for pre existing conditions.  Cover for pre existing conditions varies widely between companies.  This year i have gone with COTA, how good it really is, remains to be seen. Have been cruising 3 or 4 times year since 2007 and have never claimed. Damaged my camera once but by the time depreciation and excess kicked in wasn’t worth the effort.

Make sure you read the PDS carefully for whichever insurance you choose, even though it is hard work.

You really need to have travel insurance, just in case.  Good luck.

I don't know why you warned that people should be wary of credit card insurance. As with any travel insurance, you should check the terms and conditions. The main difference between credit card insurance and a policy you purchase, is the cost of it. No initial cost (except a small credit card fee), but there is an excess to pay when you claim. There are variations between different cards such as the amount to be paid for on the card and the age limit.

We have relied on the credit card for decades and have saved countless thousands of dollars by not paying premiums. I have the impression from some people that they feel the credit card insurance is 'too good to be true' so they think there has to be a catch to it. If there is, we haven't encountered in in the several decades we have relied on it. Once when we had to make a sizeable claim, there was no problem getting our claim paid. Our son had a claim for $9,000 for hospitalization in Germany paid with no problems whatsoever.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, possum52 said:

Sorry, I don't understand what you are saying. Are you talking about the ages of the OP and his wife that you have to have the insurance before you pay the initial deposit to be covered for pre-existing conditions?

I can only speak for US. If I pay insurance at time of booking or before 14 days, my pre-existing conditions, if any, are covered. Trying to get whatever pre-existing conditions you have covered at a later date, is not only time consuming but more expensive. This business of pre-existing is very important for those of you with specific issues. …which is why you must read carefully or be guided by an ins rep. Ins usually pays easier when there is a fall, something broken, or medical problem while cruising.

FYI, woman I traveled with yrs ago showed symptoms of a TIA. Went to Med and they put her to bed with IV. Turns out she was dehydrated as does not drink water. Dr says common condition on a cruise. She was released 4 hrs later. $600. She did not want to take travel ins ( bridge cruise) but I told her I would not go unless she did. Dr told her if he had

Dx her with a TIA ( which I could swear she had), she would have had to be taken off ship.

16 minutes ago, CU64 said:

I can only speak for US. If I pay insurance at time of booking or before 14 days, my pre-existing conditions, if any, are covered. Trying to get whatever pre-existing conditions you have covered at a later date, is not only time consuming but more expensive. This business of pre-existing is very important for those of you with specific issues. …which is why you must read carefully or be guided by an ins rep. Ins usually pays easier when there is a fall, something broken, or medical problem while cruising.

FYI, woman I traveled with yrs ago showed symptoms of a TIA. Went to Med and they put her to bed with IV. Turns out she was dehydrated as does not drink water. Dr says common condition on a cruise. She was released 4 hrs later. $600. She did not want to take travel ins ( bridge cruise) but I told her I would not go unless she did. Dr told her if he had

Dx her with a TIA ( which I could swear she had), she would have had to be taken off ship.

I have to repeat what Barry said earlier - that terms and conditions that apply in the USA are not relevant here. This thread was initiated by John who lives in Australia and who was enquiring about insurance for an Australian-based cruise. Please don't throw in restrictions that apply in another country, restrictions that might make someone who reads this unnecessarily concerned. The factors that you mention don't apply here. All the best. 🙂 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I have to repeat what Barry said earlier - that terms and conditions that apply in the USA are not relevant here. This thread was initiated by John who lives in Australia and who was enquiring about insurance for an Australian-based cruise. Please don't throw in restrictions that apply in another country, restrictions that might make someone who reads this unnecessarily concerned. The factors that you mention don't apply here. All the best. 🙂 

I did not know where John lived as I was the first to reply.Did not recognize Port M…. 

Hope John finds what they need regarding pre-existing conditions with all your good recommendations. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

As with any travel insurance, you should check the terms and conditions.

If you are looking for a particular card with good insurance, it can be an uphill battle just getting a bank to give you the credit card if you are no longer working. 😡

Banks don't like retired people getting credit cards, we pay them off too quickly.

Edited by SinbadThePorter
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

If you are looking for a particular card with good insurance, it can be an uphill battle just getting a bank to give you the credit card if you are no longer working. 😡

Yes, don't I know it! We are self-funded retirees with income, but even so it wasn't easy. Copies of the relevant documents proving assets/income had to be sent a few times before the correct department in the bank had them. After that happened, the card was approved but it took around two months. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Banks don't like retired people getting credit cards, we pay them off too quickly.

Yes, although not retired and have the income to apply for others, we will keep our card when we get to that stage, having read on here about those that can't apply. It isn't about the assets for banks, it's about the income. Our children can borrow more than us due to their higher combined income and ability to pay their loan off for 30 years. Don't worry about owning a home, two cars, a caravan, timeshare, investments, super and shares!!!

Banks def don't like us anymore either, we pay our card off as we put stuff on it......we only have it for the QFF points....and the travel insurance, and the two free Qantas lounge passes.

We haven't paid interest on that card since we got it over 15 years ago.

12 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I don't know why you warned that people should be wary of credit card insurance. As with any travel insurance, you should check the terms and conditions. The main difference between credit card insurance and a policy you purchase, is the cost of it. No initial cost (except a small credit card fee), but there is an excess to pay when you claim. There are variations between different cards such as the amount to be paid for on the card and the age limit.

We have relied on the credit card for decades and have saved countless thousands of dollars by not paying premiums. I have the impression from some people that they feel the credit card insurance is 'too good to be true' so they think there has to be a catch to it. If there is, we haven't encountered in in the several decades we have relied on it. Once when we had to make a sizeable claim, there was no problem getting our claim paid. Our son had a claim for $9,000 for hospitalization in Germany paid with no problems whatsoever.

Some credit card insurance has age limits and restrictions on pre existing conditions.  As you say read PDS very carefully.

Just now, Gwendy said:

Some credit card insurance has age limits and restrictions on pre existing conditions.  As you say read PDS very carefully.

Of course. You may not realise that late last year I researched this matter and produced a spread sheet comparing all the credit card insurance policies.🙂

My previous post was in response to your comment that people should be 'wary of credit card insurance'. With any insurance, a person definitely should read the pds explaining the terms and conditions - asking for trouble if they don't. On the Sea Princess we met a man whose wife was medivaced by helicopter and their travel insurance had fine print that said it didn't apply to travel on cruise ships. It wasn't free credit card insurance. 🙂