Is anyone else just totally over cruising? Rant on recent cruise (Independence), bad service, food, FLU

aimcat

No we are not over cruising by any means. It is even more convenient than other types of vacations now. I have no desire to fly anymore, so we cruise from our local NJ, Baltimore, Boston ports.

Since 2016 we switched to 5 a year and now sail from September to end of May/beginning of June and we camp during Summers (Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire).

We cruised since 2003 with 8 lines and this year will hit 60 cruises with 29 with Royal. We been through weaker and stronger times for various lines. Ironically food now with all changes is still better than on our first Royal cruises in 2004 Splendor and 2007 Explorer. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

In the middle of winter it is the only one that I care about.

I am booked in the middle of winter.   Twice now in the middle of winter on a "non-carib" attempt with RCI...and twice now RCI has cancelled our cruises.   No "three strikes you're out" for us with them. 

Rebooked for that third attempt with Viking.  It is summer time in the "down under".  😉 

• Haha 1

On 3/15/2023 at 3:40 PM, BecciBoo said:

Until I can no longer move I will be cruising.  I am an OCD planner, plan very carefully, and I really believe we get the most for our money, even with the rise in fare and changes in food. 

^ This ^.  Get a good TA and when you see a sale, have him jump on it.  As for the flu, that's horrible.  The first thing we do after dropping bags in the bathroom (usually cleanest part of the cabin) is thoroughly wipe down the room with Lysol wipes.

But do look on the bright side -- that's a lot of money that you can use to explore with road trips.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Pandamonia said:

Maybe i just dont agree with some of the people on this forum such as you and others like you which seem to think Royal can do no wrong and its the person booking the holidays fault. 

Fact is this. 

Food can suck.

Service can suck

Royal can price gauge pretty bad whilst also delivering terrible experiences and poor value

Some staff SUCK. 

Some ships suck. (old, tatty rooms, dirty)

Some itineraries suck 

How royal deals with some things suck. 

Singers can REALLY suck and dont get me started on some of the comedians.

Even the headline acts can suck. 

Royal is in control of ALL of the above. None of these are the persons fault who booked. 

Experiences will vary on the same ship and it does not make it the persons fault. Royal has a responsibility to deliver consistent quality and service and they often fail but still expect to be paid the same as if they didnt. 

Maybe if the average Royal customer had a higher standard of taste and expectation then royal wouldnt have felt it could get away with ever constant fall in standards in the MDR or think it can get away with charging 200$ to sit on a cabana on deck for a day. (some of you suckers over the pond are paying it... because on Euro sailings they are empty!)

Fact is that Royal clientele used to look down on the average carnival passenger... well they aint looking down any more.... Royal is the new carnival. 

Food can suck.  SUBJECTIVE, I HAVE HAD MOSTLY GOOD BUT A FEW BAD MEALS.

Service can suck.  SUBJECTIVE, ONLY 1 TIME HAVE I HAD A COMPLAINT AND THAT WAS A ROOM ATTENDANT.  THE REST OF THE SERVICE IN ALL ASPECTS HAS BEEN GREAT FOR US.

Royal can price gauge pretty bad whilst also delivering terrible experiences and poor value.  FAIR POINT BUT STILL SOMEWHAT SUBJECTIVE, ALL TRAVEL HAS GOTTEN MORE EXPENSIVE.  I HAVEN'T EXPERIENCED MUCH DROP OFF IN OVERALL EXPERIENCE TO THI POINT THOUGH WITH RCL.

Some staff SUCK.  SUBJECTIVE, ONLY 1 TIME HAVE I HAD A COMPLAINT AND THAT WAS A ROOM ATTENDANT.

Some ships suck. (old, tatty rooms, dirty) FAIR, BUT THAT IS GLASS HALF EMPTY VIEW POINT AS ALL SHIPS HAVE THEIR GOOD POINTS AND BAD POINTS

Some itineraries suck  DON'T BOOK CRAPPY ITINERARIES, THAT'S ON THE PERSON BOOKING

How royal deals with some things suck. NEVER HAD AN ISSUE SO CAN'T SPEAK TO THIS.

Singers can REALLY suck and dont get me started on some of the comedians. SUBJECTIVE, BY LARGE I HAVE ENJOYED THE VAST MAJORITY OF ENTERTAINMENT INCLUDING THE SINGERS, BUT THERE HAVE BEEN A FEW DUDS.

Even the headline acts can suck.  SUBJECTIVE, BUT I DON'T GO TO THE MAIN SHOWS VERY OFTEN.

Edited by rhino7176
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Pandamonia said:

Well in fairness to the OP. When they had that experience i would just round up and call it a disaster cruise. 

These 3 and 4 day booze cruises are a blatant cash grab and a terrible idea other than maximum revenue. They have a very bad reputation every time they do them and eventually they always stop because of the inherent problems caused such as:

Staff burnout

Trashed rooms

Trashed ships

excessive drinking

bad reviews and brand tarnishing 

Eventual lawsuits 

The issue is that people can go wild for 3 or 4 days which causes all of the above. It also lowers the entry price point dragging unsavoury clientele on to the ship who would normally not be able to spend 7 or 14 days on a ship. 

The problem is that Royals C Suite are like crack heads addicted to easy money. Every idea that increases revenue per person per day must be a good one.... until it isnt and the damage is done. 

Royal has enjoyed a rather unique position in the market for a while due to its ship classes but others have caught up and will soon compete far more for the same clients. 

Add in the days of easy money are over Royal might find its self with a ton of debt and a load of empty rooms. Its already sailing with empty inside cabins on many cruises rather than discount them. This is always a sure fire sign of hidden issues with passenger numbers

I live in Tampa, all the cruises out of the local port are 4 or 5 night cruises nd I go on a number for quick getaways.  I have rarely experienced what you are saying, although I don't go during spring break tim or other party times.  When I want to go on a longer cruise I go to PC of FLL or Miami.  I do enjoy the quick getaways and it's really a matter of timing and not being so easily offended by people.... too many here are stick in the muds/holier than thou's and don't remember when they were younger.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rhino7176 said:

I live in Tampa, all the cruises out of the local port are 4 or 5 night cruises nd I go on a number for quick getaways.  I have rarely experienced what you are saying, although I don't go during spring break tim or other party times.  When I want to go on a longer cruise I go to PC of FLL or Miami.  I do enjoy the quick getaways and it's really a matter of timing and not being so easily offended by people.... too many here are stick in the muds/holier than thou's and don't remember when they were younger.

Radiance, Grandeur, Enchantment, Celebrity Constellation.....all have 7 night and longer cruises you can book out of Tampa....and some are year round now.  

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, island lady said:

Radiance, Grandeur, Enchantment, Celebrity Constellation.....all have 7 night and longer cruises you can book out of Tampa....and some are year round now.  

right again island lady, we have 3 cruises booked for 23' out of tampa, they are 7, 8, and 12 day cruises with rccl and celebrity and we got fabulous deals on all three when we booked last year...Doing our homework had it's benefits...have a blessed day all.

• Like 2

Just now, retired dude said:

right again island lady, we have 3 cruises booked for 23' out of tampa, they are 7, 8, and 12 day cruises with rccl and celebrity and we got fabulous deals on all three when we booked last year...Doing our homework had it's benefits...have a blessed day all.

I am happy to have booked Celebrity...finally...for the first time.  Very interesting 8 night that goes to New Orleans on Constellation.  🙂 

• Like 1

Just now, island lady said:

I am happy to have booked Celebrity...finally...for the first time.  Very interesting 8 night that goes to New Orleans on Constellation.  🙂 

we love the "connie" numerous sailings on her and they just keep getting better...The 12 day cruise goes down to colombia, panama, costa rico, and several others...We also share you liking for the radiance class rccl ships...perfect size as we are not fans of the larger ships in the fleet.Living 30 minutes from the tampa port has its benefits and we hope that the port will continue to stay busy and profitable for the cruise lines and provide us with nice options...just sayin'

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, island lady said:

Serenade also!

28 minutes ago, mafig said:

Serenade also!

I am on a bit longer than 7 night on Serenade mid December.  😉  She is doing stints out of Miami just before we board.  

Before that, Serenade seems to be doing some 4-5 nights out of Tampa with an occasional 7 night mixed in.  

Good to see so many options out of Tampa now.  🙂 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, retired dude said:

we love the "connie" numerous sailings on her and they just keep getting better...The 12 day cruise goes down to colombia, panama, costa rico, and several others...We also share you liking for the radiance class rccl ships...perfect size as we are not fans of the larger ships in the fleet.Living 30 minutes from the tampa port has its benefits and we hope that the port will continue to stay busy and profitable for the cruise lines and provide us with nice options...just sayin'

We were considering adding in the 12 night as a B2B, but will be already doing the circumnavigate S. America starting this December on Serenade.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Incognito1 said:

^ This ^.  Get a good TA and when you see a sale, have him jump on it.  As for the flu, that's horrible.  The first thing we do after dropping bags in the bathroom (usually cleanest part of the cabin) is thoroughly wipe down the room with Lysol wipes.

But do look on the bright side -- that's a lot of money that you can use to explore with road trips.

Thanks for the advice, but I am my TA and I do a damn good job of it.  I like to be in control, don't mind it at all.  As for land trips, we camp a lot.  Not afraid of no flu either, that wasn't me.  Not sick ever, just have system issues like T2D, but under control...yeah control freak.

• Like 3

On 3/24/2023 at 1:19 PM, island lady said:

I am booked in the middle of winter.   Twice now in the middle of winter on a "non-carib" attempt with RCI...and twice now RCI has cancelled our cruises.   No "three strikes you're out" for us with them. 

Rebooked for that third attempt with Viking.  It is summer time in the "down under".  😉 

I’m assuming you’re talking about a TP. Wasn’t one of those cancelled during covid? 

2 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

I’m assuming you’re talking about a TP. Wasn’t one of those cancelled during covid? 

Yup, and then I rebooked again...this time with Radiance.  Just after that, RCI decided to cancel to send her to New Orleans.  Not really a good idea to follow up the pain of Covid cancellations with a whim of "Hey...let's mess with these people and cancel again"   Once again, having to cancel flights.  IMHO...they should have kept things neutral and let people rebook "with confidence".  

Viking is happy to get the business.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Love to know how you like this one. DW has been bugging me to do a Viking cruise.

Will find out with our upcoming next cruise...which is a Viking cruise.   23 night European Sojourn river cruise in Sept.  🙂 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, rhino7176 said:

When I want to go on a longer cruise I go to PC of FLL or Miami.  I do enjoy the quick getaways and it's really a matter of timing and not being so easily offended by people.... too many here are stick in the muds/holier than thou's and don't remember when they were younger.

Gotta laugh with that comment. I responded to a different thread months ago about how "The Yoots" (My Cousin Vinny), play the boomboxes and drive their cars like they are just looking to get attention and realized I had become the "Old Fart" who was yelling at me forty years ago! 😅🤣😉🤣

• Haha 6