Royal Caribbean getting rid of the sky pad on all ships

• talkorpi changed the title to Royal Caribbean getting rid of the sky pad on all ships

Well I posted this five days ago and it somehow just got approved.  Anyways, thought this was an interesting development - wondering what they will do with the space when these are removed

Edited by talkorpi
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

It will just be a space - they are trying to save staff again - so it is a service cut - take the thing out....so we don't need to provide staff to run it....

There was a lawsuit so that could have played a roll.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/passenger-sues-royal-caribbean-20-foot-fall-bungee/story?id=61825637

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Big_G said:

My guess is it is lawsuit related.  The suggested or required retrofits may have been cost/space/something prohibitive to make it not worth doing, or even just increased costs to insure.

10 minutes ago, Big_G said:

Did you check how many years ago that was?

And he didn't even win the case.....it was thrown out.

I totally doubt it has anything to do with the new service cut!

That is why they are cutting back on flowriders on the new builds and on shows etc all service cuts to save staff and money...

Edited by cruiseboy89130

16 minutes ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

Did you check how many years ago that was?

And he didn't even win the case.....it was thrown out.

I totally doubt it has anything to do with the new service cut!

That is why they are cutting back on flowriders on the new builds and on shows etc all service cuts to save staff and money...

Two lawsuits actually but do you have a source for the outcomes?

• Like 1

I'm not trying to minimize anything with the following;

I don't know what the policy is/was at the time of the accident.  I've never used that venue nor has my kids/gkids.  However, for many of those types of rides that I have taken my kids to, not on cruise lines, the policy, and instructions were that head over heal tumbling was not allowed.  Just jumping up and down and a little rocking back and forth.  IF that is/was the policy, the guy violated it just before the fall, at least the video shows it just before the fall.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/31/2023 at 6:22 AM, LuCruise said:

It's too bad.  Never tried it but my kids did on Mariner and loved it. They were looking forward to it on Odyssey, so now that's one less thing for them to do when we go end of the year. 

I will not shed a tear over its demise BUT, I do feel bad for those that did enjoy it and future young ones that won't be able to.  

To me, it always looked like a giant wiffle ball. 

My suggestion:  Make it one of these:

image.png.4c6cdf30be2bf3e33fc5b4085ce9692b.png

• Haha 5

• 3 months later...

On Odyssey last December, the glass walkway around it was broken while we watched sailaway from it.  A lady brought a glass beer bottle onto the walk and dropped it just right.  All this whilst I was trying to reassure a lady that it couldn't possibly break!  🥴  The Cpt said the next day, no one would've fallen through it, two plates of 3 inch safety glass and the one on the top was the only one cracked...here's a pic I got:  I bet it was hefty to replace the glass

broken glass walk.jpg

Edited by BecciBoo

On 3/27/2023 at 12:36 PM, Big_G said:

Interesting...CC usually doesn't allow links to the 'blog that no one mentions' here. 

I posted a link from there a couple of days ago about the new meteorologist and it was approved.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2023 at 10:15 AM, GEORGIEGIRL said:

I HAVE BEEN ON SEVERAL CRUISES THAT HAVE THE "SKY PAD" AND I CAN'T ACTUALLY REMEMBER ANYONE EVER REALLY BEING ON IT.

LOL.  All caps is considered yelling, so we heard you.

• Haha 1