Chair hogs be warned

melbur

12 hours ago, Ret MP said:

Okay, I've said what I've said, I stand by what I've said (and posted).  I'm moving on now.

@Ret MP I'd like you to train the pool deck staff on all ships for towel removal. I have a feeling it would be to the letter of the law and chair hogs need that. 🙂

On 4/2/2023 at 7:38 PM, FireEMT978 said:

My daughter and I were on Oasis, March 5th-12th. It was soooooo bad. Besides the normal chair hogging, it was so out of hand with people "collecting" chairs. 2 people would grab 4 loungers and a table. Then, they would use the extra loungers to place their items on.

This is the absolutely intolerable one . Watched someone do this every day for a week in a prime spot... Very hard to keep mouth shut. If I could go back , I would 'tattle' 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LobsterStalker said:

This is the absolutely intolerable one . Watched someone do this every day for a week in a prime spot... Very hard to keep mouth shut. If I could go back , I would 'tattle' 

If it weren't for my 24 year old daughter telling me not to confront them, I was going to go off on them. It has gotten so damn bad with the "Entitlement", and lack of respect for others.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2023 at 2:10 PM, island lady said:

A few months ago, on Serenade, there were some notes left on doors the day before last, reminding pax to return their towels or they would be charged the 25.00.  There were a few annoyed pax that forgot and did not bother to turn them in.  Our neighbor started to cuss loudly when she got that note, they had several children in the cabin.  

Since we don't do the pool towels, we did not get the note...but there were plenty on the doors that did have their cards swiped.  

Just not sure if they are still swiping cards when you check out a pool towel at the towel desk, or not on other ships...or even at all now. 

It was hit or miss on Symphony. One time I was reminded I had two checked out when getting a third. Other times my card was never asked for. It also wasn't always asked for upon return, either. So, hard to say. 

9 hours ago, AbeFroman2 said:

It was hit or miss on Symphony. One time I was reminded I had two checked out when getting a third. Other times my card was never asked for. It also wasn't always asked for upon return, either. So, hard to say. 

RCI:  Really Consistently Inconsistent.  😉 

• Like 3

On 4/3/2023 at 5:17 PM, ldubs said:

Saw two older women push themselves in the bus door while the attendant was trying to get a person in a wheelchair out.  He told them to wait but they cackled something about having paid for their tickets.  Very embarrassing lack of simple courtesy.  There seemingly is no longer any shame.  

What happened to people behaving with grace.   

when you get in the way of a person in a wheelchair that is the lowest level of rudeness IMO

Honest to goodness I stick to myself as I travel solo and I feel I won't be making any friends on ships any more.  If I was behind those two ladies I would have shot my mouth off to them as well.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, LobsterStalker said:

I have "tattled" on parents that let their kids swim in the pools with swim diapers.  Only because I have been on a ship that had to empty the pool out on a sea day due to "accidents".    Nothing like an entire pool not being able to be used on a hot summer day.  UGH!

Edited by BobNoxious

On 4/2/2023 at 5:40 PM, keishashadow said:

Granted, haven’t cruised since precovid, many things have changed.

In the past on RCCL & other lines, many times people would inquire if ‘tagged’ loungers next us were “ours”.  Next question was whether the lounger had been occupied while we were there.  When I’d indicate no, they took it upon themselves to fold up the towels & random flip flop/old book, place it upon another nearby lounger and plop down.

Surprised to never observe any sort of major confrontation, even the one time the taggers did come ‘round. the couple just indicated the two loungers were open when they sat down & the other couple gathered their stuff & left.

I generally wake early, especially when no balcony, I’m up on deck well before 7 am.  Grab two loungers (try for partial shade).  Quickly off for coffee, juice & a pastry, back on lounger to hold down the fort until the mr rises and joins me for breakfast around 9 am.

I don’t see why you can’t just summon pool staff/visit them at the towel stand and get a post a note filled out to mark the lounger as to the time you departed & the clock starts ticking.   Depending on the throng, IMO 30 minutes can be too short to eat in WJ, especially if you want an egg-white omelette.  Thinking 45 minutes is more realistic.

So, saved 2 chairs while you ate the early breakfast.  Then saved again waiting for hubby to arrive at 9.  Then I suspect you saved them again while the two of you go to breakfast at 9.  

I realize all chair hogs do this, but I sincerely do not understand how anyone can honestly think it proper for a chair to be sitting unavailable while they are in some other dining area eating breakfast or lunch.   Seems the focus is one's own personal pleasure without regard for others.  

My suggestion, which I doubt will get far, would be get rid of the 30 minute rule.  If a chair is not occupied then it is available.  Exceptions being in the pool or restroom. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ldubs said:

My suggestion, which I doubt will get far, would be get rid of the 30 minute rule.  If a chair is not occupied then it is available.  Exceptions being in the pool or restroom. 

Should I leave a note on the chair that I have gone to take care of body functions? Why do people have to carry things to extremes in both sides of this issue?😑

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, ldubs said:

How would anyone know if you are in the pool or the restroom?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Should I leave a note on the chair that I have gone to take care of body functions? Why do people have to carry things to extremes in both sides of this issue?😑

Do you leave a note when you go to eat lunch?  Doesn't seem like an insurmountable problem.  

I think my suggestion is extreme only to those who want to save their chairs during lengthy absences.   

19 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

How would anyone know if you are in the pool or the restroom?

It is a good question.  How do they know the status now other than a towel or book.  

35 minutes ago, ldubs said:

...My suggestion, which I doubt will get far, would be get rid of the 30 minute rule.  If a chair is not occupied then it is available.  Exceptions being in the pool or restroom. 

I think that is why the 30 minute rule.  If people go swimming, they can mention something to someone nearby.  

When you think about it, chair hogs create the perceived need to hog a chair.   Chair hogs remove chairs from the available pool.   

Last summer we stayed in a resort in CA in the middle of summer, so prime-time.  They had these really awesome pool cabanas that were first-come-first-served, someone had to actually be in them to claim them and there wasn't a time limit.   There was always several available.  The pool was busy.   But because there was several available, no one tried to 'reserve' one.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, HappyTexan44 said:

I think that is why the 30 minute rule.  If people go swimming, they can mention something to someone nearby.  

When you think about it, chair hogs create the perceived need to hog a chair.   Chair hogs remove chairs from the available pool.   

Last summer we stayed in a resort in CA in the middle of summer, so prime-time.  They had these really awesome pool cabanas that were first-come-first-served, someone had to actually be in them to claim them and there wasn't a time limit.   There was always several available.  The pool was busy.   But because there was several available, no one tried to 'reserve' one.  

You may have something here.  So if chairs were not saved there would be enough turnover to eliminate the need to save a chair.  I like it.   

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, ldubs said:

It is a good question.  How do they know the status now other than a towel or book.  

They don't care the status.  It only matters that they have been away for 30 minutes (in the rare cases when it's enforced).  Doesn't matter where they have been.

Just now, time4u2go said:

They don't care the status.  It only matters that they have been away for 30 minutes (in the rare cases when it's enforced).  Doesn't matter where they have been.

Good point. I don't know the answer.  Maybe make it 10 minutes.   

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Do you leave a note when you go to eat lunch?  Doesn't seem like an insurmountable problem.  

I think my suggestion is extreme only to those who want to save their chairs during lengthy absences.   

There is no need to leave a note when when I go to get food because there is a time frame to accomplish it. And I neither carry paper nor a pen around with me all day to be writing notes.

If you don't think that your position is extreme that is fine because we all know it isn't going to happen.

On 3/29/2023 at 12:55 PM, davekathy said:

I was once called a chair hog here on CC because I posted  once I plant my butt in the lounger I stay in it for as long as I want. No time limit. That person thought after 1 to 2 hours max  I should leave and let someone else use the lounger. 🤣 

Ack!  I guess I am a chair hog too! 😉

8 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

There is no need to leave a note when when I go to get food because there is a time frame to accomplish it. And I neither carry paper nor a pen around with me all day to be writing notes.

If you don't think that your position is extreme that is fine because we all know it isn't going to happen.

When going to the buffet leave a little plastic piggy.

https://www.amazon.com/Schleich-Farm-World-Animal-Figurine/dp/B09DQ5RJNF/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=plastic%2Bpig&qid=1680728840&sr=8-2&th=1

Also, carry a little plastic gag turd with you to the pool deck and leave it in the middle of the lounger when leaving to go to the restroom.  

https://www.amazon.com/Boao-Realistic-Novelty-Floating-Different/dp/B07WSZV961/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1SE00Y1X2WGK5&keywords=plastic%2Bturd&qid=1680728725&sprefix=plastic%2Bturd%2Caps%2C480&sr=8-2&th=1

You have 15 minutes if you leave the turd but 30 if you're leaving the piggy. 🙂 

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tree_skier said:

😅😅😅😅😅😅