How nit-picky is the "Smart Casual" dress code on Celebrity?

davidlachnicht

Our son has only been on Disney, but we require him to look nice there. He usually wears a polo or subtle hawaiian shirt with khakis or nice dark jeans. For formal, he wears khakis and a button down long sleeve shirt. He still wears his Keen sandals though but with socks. I just can't bring myself to buy him a pair of shoes for a cruise that he will never wear again. Maybe once his feet stop growing, I will.

• Like 4

Out of curiosity tonight, I sat at a table in the Martini bar closest to the MDR entrance on deck four on eclipse and looked at the ladies and gentlemen entering the dining room.  Many men and women were wearing jeans, no man had a T-shirt.   Mostly the men had a button down shirt, with a sweater or jacket on.   The most casual man I saw had a sweatshirt on, not a hoodie.  The women were mostly  in slacks with blouses or sweaters; maybe a third were wearing skirts. It had been a chilly day here so I wasn’t surprised to see so many sweaters.  

• Like 3

15 hours ago, fishmongerrules said:

was on celebrity the other week and saw several people come in with tshirts and shorts. i understand people want to dress up or look nice but on vacation i rather be in shorts and a tshirt. should allow it in a section in the back or part of the upper level or something. so i guess its hit or miss. 

It's allowed in the buffet.  Otherwise, maybe a vacation at a beach resort would be better.  Honestly, pants and a polo shirt can't be too difficult for most people to manage, can it?  What do you wear to work?  To a nice restaurant in town?  Dinner with the in-laws?  I have never seen shorts and t-shirts in the MDR in the evening.  I have seen people sent home to change when they arrive for dinner dressed like that.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, davidlachnicht said:

To be honest, I don't mind it too much, but my teens are another story.

And the other folks on my upcoming cruise are already crunchy about it, going from "I'm not dressing" to "I'm gonna wear the same shirt every time, and use it as a napkin, every. time." 😆

So, let's have the real-real: Have you ever seen people turned-away from 'smart casual' dining?

(not formal, or anything like that - just 'smart casual')

Please share any and all thoughts.

Thanks.

I guess you are responsible for yourself and your kids.  The other couple is not your responsibility.  I ran into this situation in the past with my family.   I did not allow my kids (even when teens) to do whatever they wanted on a cruise- and explained that they needed to understand the rules of the ship.  My son occasionally did not want to change from his shorts and T-shirt for dinner.  He was told of the acceptable options which were room service, the buffet or the Mast Grill.  We did not dine together on those nights, his choice.  But in fact we dined together almost every night in the MDR, properly dressed.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, fishmongerrules said:

was on celebrity the other week and saw several people come in with tshirts and shorts. i understand people want to dress up or look nice but on vacation i rather be in shorts and a tshirt. should allow it in a section in the back or part of the upper level or something. so i guess its hit or miss. 

"was on celebrity the other week and saw several people come in with tshirts and shorts ".

What ship, what date ?

We were on 2 cruises recently and did not see anyone wearing t shirts and shorts in the MDR.

" on vacation i rather be in shorts and a tshirt"

Perfect-- nooooo problem with that----- just follow the guidelines that the Company sets for everyone.

"should allow it in a section in the back or part of the upper level or something".

No way--- that section is reserved for the Happy Wanderers Nudist Colony !!!

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, davidlachnicht said:

To be honest, I don't mind it too much, but my teens are another story.

And the other folks on my upcoming cruise are already crunchy about it, going from "I'm not dressing" to "I'm gonna wear the same shirt every time, and use it as a napkin, every. time." 😆

So, let's have the real-real: Have you ever seen people turned-away from 'smart casual' dining?

(not formal, or anything like that - just 'smart casual')

Please share any and all thoughts.

Thanks.

Absolutely yes.  Shorts, muscle shirts and tops (both men and women) imprinted with sayings that were profane or could be considering insulting.

I took my grandchildren on a cruise.  The rules were no running or behavior that would cause a crew member to locate me, show up on time for dinner dressed in a CLEAN collared shirt and nice looking long pants - jeans ok.  They were 16, 17 and 21.  Usually never saw them until dinner on sea days except to say hi when passing by.

• Like 3

My husband was turned away at the MDR wearing a button shirt and fairly expensive pair of dark blue jeans. (I secretly applauded while he grumbled his way back to change.) Honestly- love the comments: Eat at the buffet; Pick a different cruise line; and, Really? How hard to wear a collared shirt and long pants? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, LizzGo said:

My husband was turned away at the MDR wearing a button shirt and fairly expensive pair of dark blue jeans. (I secretly applauded while he grumbled his way back to change.) Honestly- love the comments: Eat at the buffet; Pick a different cruise line; and, Really? How hard to wear a collared shirt and long pants? 

What year was that? Jeans and button shirts are listed in Celebrity's published suggested dress guidelines for the MDR in the evening no matter the evening. Not a recent change either. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, davekathy said:

What year was that? Jeans and button shirts are listed in Celebrity's published suggested dress guidelines for the MDR in the evening no matter the evening. Not a recent change either. 

I’d guess 2017. And if it was a mistake on their part at that time to ask DH to change, that’s fine. No harm, no foul. 

3 hours ago, AmberCascades said:

It's allowed in the buffet.  Otherwise, maybe a vacation at a beach resort would be better.  Honestly, pants and a polo shirt can't be too difficult for most people to manage, can it?  What do you wear to work?  To a nice restaurant in town?  Dinner with the in-laws?  I have never seen shorts and t-shirts in the MDR in the evening.  I have seen people sent home to change when they arrive for dinner dressed like that.

I don't think anyone is saying it's too hard.   There's a definite generational issue here (looking at you boomers) and a geographical one.

Work wear: Shorts.  I'm in IT for a fortune 500 global company doing business right now.  pants don't make you do IT any better.  Likely generational here.

Nice Restaurant: Live in Fl.  Even Ruth Chris here allows shorts (no cutoffs, no ball caps) 

In laws : again.. Florida.  Shorts all around.

That being said, one should respect the rules laid out by the establishment.  This I agree with.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, odyssyus said:

That being said, one should respect the rules laid out by the establishment.  This I agree with.  

I do, too. Do your research before booking any vacation and know up front what the rules or expectations are.

And no one needs to use a shirt as a napkin. The ship has plenty of cloth napkins and even cloth towels in the public restrooms. 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Amazing how people react to dressing decent. Not dressing up but pants and a collard shirt.   That’s all they need to do.  Go to a beach instead.  And certainly don’t select Celebrity.  Heck even on Carnival, which I like, would prefer you to do that. 

Even teens can do this. Lol.  But I’m always amazed at some adults ‘well it’s my vacation’!   If you don’t like the ‘rules’ don’t go…. Pretty simple.  

• Like 2

Reluctantly 🤔I have to ask the question but before I do I fully agree rules are rules so we should all abide by them (even though this one really doesn’t bother me as much as others such as chair hogging 😁), the question is why are jeans considered smarter than tailored shorts? No brainer to me, tailored shorts win every time.

But I know Celebrity think different.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

Reluctantly 🤔I have to ask the question but before I do I fully agree rules are rules so we should all abide by them (even though this one really doesn’t bother me as much as others such as chair hogging 😁), the question is why are jeans considered smarter than tailored shorts? No brainer to me, tailored shorts win every time.

just being a thorn here but I suspect jeans over shorts is due to the fact shorts can be very very short and revealing.   Jeans. no brainer, longer and cover more.       I ve been at  resorts and seen the same rules Celebrity has and people turned away from the restaurant      

• Like 3

Just now, 1Virgo said:

just being a thorn here but I suspect jeans over shorts is due to the fact shorts can be very very short and revealing.   Jeans. no brainer, longer and cover more.       I ve been at  resorts and seen the same rules Celebrity has and people turned away from the restaurant      

sorry hit the submit.   Tailored shorts, sure enough someone will push the envelope so to speak, and want in in “regular” shorts.  you have to draw a line 

19 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

Where do you draw the line?  Or, more literally, the hem?  Are "tailored shorts" always a specific length?  Are those shorts the Hooters girls wear "tailored"?  To be more specific they'd have to say "a tailored, pant-like short with a 20" inseam".  But what if the wearer has really long legs and a 20" inseam is a short short on them?  You see how this can be a slippery slope. 😜

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 1Virgo said:

sorry hit the submit.   Tailored shorts, sure enough someone will push the envelope so to speak, and want in in “regular” shorts.  you have to draw a line 

Fair point. My husband will continue to try to sneak in with his tailored shorts which look smarter than his jeans.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AmberCascades said:

Where do you draw the line?  Or, more literally, the hem?  Are "tailored shorts" always a specific length?  Are those shorts the Hooters girls wear "tailored"?  To be more specific they'd have to say "a tailored, pant-like short with a 20" inseam".  But what if the wearer has really long legs and a 20" inseam is a short short on them?  You see how this can be a slippery slope. 😜

Agree totally. And when do nice jeans become scruffy (in my opinion) rather than designer jeans. Ripped being part of the design. And ladies  are allowed to wear shorts anyway are they not?

We were on on Equinox and Beyond in summer and fall of 2022 respectively. 

On Chic night on Equinox, we were seated upstairs and noticed a guy sitting on the first floor below us with a shirt unbuttoned down to his naval and a backwards baseball cap (couldn't tell if he had shorts, jeans, etc. on).  I asked a maître 'd if that attire was acceptable in the dining room on Chic night and he told us that they were no longer permitted to say anything to guests about what they were wearing. 

On Beyond, we dined in Blu so everyone adhered to the requested dress code.

I normally wouldn't have questioned someone's attire but I found the person on Equinox so out of the norm.  Perhaps it was because cruising was still coming back but on our Equinox cruise in July of 2022, nothing was said to anyone at anytime about what they were wearing.

Perhaps it's changing.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, odyssyus said:

I don't think anyone is saying it's too hard.   There's a definite generational issue here (looking at you boomers) and a geographical one.

Work wear: Shorts.  I'm in IT for a fortune 500 global company doing business right now.  pants don't make you do IT any better.  Likely generational here.

Nice Restaurant: Live in Fl.  Even Ruth Chris here allows shorts (no cutoffs, no ball caps) 

In laws : again.. Florida.  Shorts all around.

My husband and I are electrical engineers in the semiconductor industry. Casual was the rule. People sometimes didn't even wear shoes, especially at the start-up. I am "retired" now, so my wardrobe is cruddy clothes I wear around the house, workout clothes, or casual clothes to run errands/buy groceries. However, I still enjoy dressing up some. It feels nice to look nice. I know not everyone feels that way, and that's fine with me. We dress up for formal/chic nights and a little less so for dinner every night. I don't care what others wear, as long as it doesn't make me not want to eat.

I get the shorts thing. We live in Texas and visit Florida often. I have heard that they allow Bermuda shorts and of course the long dark socks. Bermuda shorts are really long though. I actually don't mind men's shorts as much. Women's shorts can get very tight and very short pretty easily. Men tend to look nicer when wearing tailored shorts.