Help - Grandfather died on HAL 2023 WC

rsbrocco

HAL really doesn’t really have a role in repatriation. They were not the health care provider at the tine of death and. likely, the passenger was disembarked while still with us.

HAL could potentially help in the family recovering any belongings that were left aboard ship and provide some emotional and logistical assistance to other members of the traveling party.

Your grandfather was transferred to a shore-based facility because the ship’s doctor believed that was the best action in the situation, given their particular medical expertise. the ship’s resources and route, and the patient’s condition. Ships’ resources are somewhat limited and one factor is the ability of available staff to care simultaneously for multiple patients as well as risks to other passengers.

Do you know who currently has custody of his remains? That can be challenging in some parts of the world as are potentially different customs and traditions for honoring those who have passes, including timeframes for managing remains.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, rsbrocco said:

My grandfather was on the ms Zuiderdam and took ill. They provided some medical care on board, but they forced him to get off the ship in Luanda, Angola on March 21. They sent him to a clinic in Angola and refused to let him back on board the ship. My family has spent the last week trying to get him medically evacuated from Angola and flown home for adequate medical care. 

He passed away yesterday, March 29, alone in a hospital in Angola. We are now beginning the arduous process of repatriating his remains. 

My family is looking for any guidance you might have in navigating this terrible situation. We’ve been in contact with the generic HAL support lines, insurance companies, and the embassy - all to little avail. 

Thank you. 

First of all I want to offer my sincere condolences.  I was on the same cruise, had internal bleeding on the Indian Ocean crossing and was put off the ship in Mauritius.  The ship's hospital has limited facilities, basically designed to stabilize a patient until they can be off loaded to a bigger facility.

I was in the hospital in Mauritius for two weeks.  Carefree kept in constant contact and arranged for my medical evacuation when I was "fit to fly."  I may have liked to go home earlier but the decision of the doctors and Carefree was to wait until they were sure I would survive the repatriation.  They handled the reservations, made sure I had wheelchairs in Dubai and Seattle where I changed planes.  

I am sorry your experience was far worse.  But I trust the medical department of HAL.  They did what they could (and kept me alive) until they could get me off the ship. They found a good clinic and both HAL and Carefree were on the phone with me almost immediately.  The Embassy should be able to help you get the remains repatriated.  But the suggestion that you involve a member of Congress, offered above, is not a bad one.

Take Care and be strong.  I know the bureaucracy you have to deal with is frustrating.  

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

I am so sorry to learn of his passing. I cannot offer any suggestions other than that previously posted and to keep meticulous records of every call made and persons you speak with. I wish prayers and love for you and your family.

• Like 2

Condolences and hugs.

As there is a lot of useful info in this thread, I have nothing additional other than providing the Guest Relations contact info that was provided to me yesterday by a PCC .I was told if I am not getting a response to other communication or don't know where to turn, to use this contact and they will get the message to the right person. It may take a couple days, but should get you connected to the right person.

Guestrelations@hollandamerica.com 800-599-8256.

You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This is so sad. Sincerest condolences to you and your family. 

If he paid for his cruise with a credit card, some offer various types of supplemental insurance, some even offer assistance while abroad. Be sure to check what his card offers, in addition to primary insurances.

I hope you can get everything sorted out soon. Best wishes and prayers for you during your time of grief.

• Like 1

I was with him when all this happened. His care was the best they could give him, the medical staff was amazing. 24 hour care.
A lot of things are beyond the control of the cruiseline when in a foreign country. 

All I can say is, those of you with negative comments, you were not here! I was. 
To those of you with helpful hints, thank you. Much appreciated. 
By the way, he was fully insured on all counts. 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 9

19 minutes ago, Alida9 said:

I was with him when all this happened. His care was the best they could give him, the medical staff was amazing. 24 hour care.
A lot of things are beyond the control of the cruiseline when in a foreign country. 

All I can say is, those of you with negative comments, you were not here! I was. 
To those of you with helpful hints, thank you. Much appreciated. 
By the way, he was fully insured on all counts. 

I am so sorry for your loss, prayers that you will get the answers you need quickly. 

• Like 5

Thank you to all of those with helpful comments. We’re working with our local congressmen and senators in FL to try to expedite the repatriation - the Angolan government is closed for several holidays coming up, and it’s been a mess trying to coordinate support between the funeral home in Angola, the local government there, HAL Family Assistance, and the primary insurance we’re using (Allianz). 

His travel agent (Expedia Cruises) has been exceptional in providing support and the necessary documentation. She’s been working with guest relations nonstop and trying to get this resolved as quickly as possible. 

Thank you for all of your condolences and well wishes. He had been cruising with HAL for decades and he was on the 2020 pandemic WC. He was so excited to finally get to finish the WC this year.

Edited by rsbrocco
  • Like 36
  • Thanks 9

1 hour ago, rsbrocco said:

Thank you to all of those with helpful comments. We’re working with our local congressmen and senators in FL to try to expedite the repatriation - the Angolan government is closed for several holidays coming up, and it’s been a mess trying to coordinate support between the funeral home in Angola, the local government there, HAL Family Assistance, and the primary insurance we’re using (Allianz). 

His travel agent (Expedia Cruises) has been exceptional in providing support and the necessary documentation. She’s been working with guest relations nonstop and trying to get this resolved as quickly as possible. 

Thank you for all of your condolences and well wishes. He had been cruising with HAL for decades and he was on the 2020 pandemic WC. He was so excited to finally get to finish the WC this year.

That’s a lovely picture of your grandfather. At least you know he was doing what he loved in his last days.  I’m glad to hear things are slowly coming together. 

• Like 8

12 hours ago, rsbrocco said:

I've known and sailed on cruises with him, and want to add my condolences. Many of us here on the world cruise are grieving his passing, too. He was much loved.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

On 3/30/2023 at 11:39 AM, Charles4515 said:

If he has travel insurance repatriation of the remains is probaly covered. Call the insurance conpany.

Definitely this; I am glad you have travel insurance and are talking to the insurance companies; don’t let them take forever to decide who is responsible.

My condolences to you. I completely understand the horrible, sad situation you are in. My mother in law was on an Antarctica cruise with her sister in law, and the day after they disembarked, her sister in law had a heart attack and passed in Argentina.  First call my MIL made was to me;I’ll never forget that call. Thankfully there was insurance that paid for//helped with repatriation of the remains, and they were traveling with a small ship//group that was able and willing to provide assistance, but it is such a difficult thing to navigate and go through.  

• Like 3

Many countries in this part of the world float on "bakeesh" - bribes/tips to get even the smallest things done. Used be just offering a cigarette to help a clerk take a second look to "find" your airline reservation. Or a case of Coca Cola to get the ship to pass port arrival inspections.

It is an art form in this part of the world - check with locals to see how, who, when, where and what makes "bureaucratic services" run more smoothly.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2023 at 9:56 AM, WriterOnDeck said:

I've known and sailed on cruises with him, and want to add my condolences. Many of us here on the world cruise are grieving his passing, too. He was much loved.

Thank you so much. It brings our family such peace to know his spent his last 75 days cruising with people he loved. 

I wanted to provide an update. After much back and forth with the embassy, the funeral homes in Angola and at home, HAL and Allianz (including a broken printer, missing stamps, and an abundance of government holidays) - Zeyde is finally on his way home to Florida. He should arrive Sunday afternoon and we hope to lay him to rest beside Bubbe early next week. 

Thank you all so much for your condolences, advice, and support throughout this ordeal. Surprisingly (or maybe not), Chabad of Angola has been the most helpful during this time. The Rabbi personally sat with his remains, organized a minyan, and advocated for an expedited repatriation. 

Thank you again. May his memory be a blessing. 

• Like 37
  • Thanks 13

1 hour ago, rsbrocco said:

Zeyde is finally on his way home to Florida. He should arrive Sunday afternoon and we hope to lay him to rest beside Bubbe early next week. 

Thank you all so much for your condolences, advice, and support throughout this ordeal. Surprisingly (or maybe not), Chabad of Angola has been the most helpful during this time. The Rabbi personally sat with his remains, organized a minyan, and advocated for an expedited repatriation. 

Thank you again. May his memory be a blessing. 

Our thoughts have been with you.
What a comforting thought and imagery!

GC

• Like 4