Embarkation in Vancouver for Alaska Cruise - a question

luvtravel

We've never left for Alaska from Vancouver - and after reading how disorganized many embarkations are at different ports  - wondered if its the same in Vancouver?  Our cruise leaves May 3 on the Solstice but haven't yet been able to even review our documents.  We're in Aqua so no special boarding.      Just want to make getting on the ship as easy as possible.   We'll be staying at the Pan Pacific - right at the port.  Thanks for any insight.

As noted above, the Pan Pacific is located directly above the port you will board at.  I have taken many Alaska cruises from Vancouver (my home port) and have found the easiest way to avoid crowds is to either board early or late.  Starting the boarding process at 10:30am or waiting until1:30pm, gets me through and onto the ship quite quickly.  Enjoy your cruise!

• Thanks 1

We boarded there in 2019 and the lines were very long if not in priority boarding and there is a lot of walking as you wind through the terminal. if you have any mobility issues you can request a wheelchair.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I had the worst boarding experience of my life in Vancouver.  Stood in line for four hours.  You had better hope that there is only one ship in port the day you leave and that US Customs is functioning well.

There will be at least ships there that day. Thanks to the PVSA, we’re doing a S2S with the Royal Princess vs the B2B we wanted on the Solstice.

• Thanks 1

2 ships in Vancouver on May 3rd. Celebrity Solstice and Royal Princess. We plan on dropping our bags early then boarding after 1 , just to have a little more time in Vancouver. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I had the worst boarding experience of my life in Vancouver.  Stood in line for four hours.  You had better hope that there is only one ship in port the day you leave and that US Customs is functioning well.

I haven't had the nearly the number of cruises as Happy Cruiser, but like her, Vancouver was by far the worst experience.

We got put in one line, then another, then back to the first, then back to the second until finally my wife found a supervisor who straightened things out... and then another employee tried to move us to a third line! Just utter chaos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From what I've read over the years, they tend to get better as the season wears on and they staff up.  My last cruise from there was in 2018 around the same time-frame in May, and it took us a while to get through everything.  They have a path marked out, but it's easy to miss the signs depending on where you first go & whether they have enough staff giving directions. 

As I recall, you check your bags first and then they send you to a very big waiting room where you wait to be called for additional screening.  That was all first-come, first-serve and having Global Entry or cruise line priority did nothing to get you out of there faster.   After that, you go through a regular security screening and then on to the U.S. Border Patrol, which is clearing you to leave Canada and enter the U.S. before you step on the ship.  We sat in that big room for about 30 minutes, which according to others on our ship was faster than most had experienced.  Global Entry helped us skip to the front of the customs line or that would have added even more time.  Check-in, where there might be some additional priority, is the last step, but those lines had no one in them because it was taking so long for people to clear the prior steps.  This was supposedly the "improved" process from what it had been in earlier years.  Perhaps they've tweaked it some more but I would plan on it taking longer than most other ports.

All ships are using the same process with the same lines so there are limited opportunities for individual cruise lines to make a difference.

• Thanks 1

Since you are staying at the Pan Pacific, you can check your bags with the Bell Hops for transfer to the ship. You do t have to have the special cruise rate, just ask at the desk to get instructions.

We’ve cruised from Vancouver many times. Our pre pandemic experiences were terrible. Post pandemic, timed arrivals and checkin via iPad seems to work well.

if you need mobility assistance to board, ask for it in advance. My husband uses a fancy walker and, after checkin, we got absorbed into an armada of wheelchairs, skipped lines, went through special lines and crew only lines, all the while being diverted to elevators. It was amazing, very wonderful, and very fast.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, horseymike said:

I have heard the luggage assistance for guests staying at the Pan Pacific is very helpful at embarkation.

I sure liked it.  The bellhop came to the room, got our luggage, I gave him my left over loonies, and that was that.  They showed up in the cabin in the afternoon.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, horseymike said:

I have heard the luggage assistance for guests staying at the Pan Pacific is very helpful at embarkation.

the luggage assistance is excellent from our experience last May.  They pick it up, take it to Celebrity directly.   

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, luvtravel said:

We've never left for Alaska from Vancouver - and after reading how disorganized many embarkations are at different ports  - wondered if its the same in Vancouver?  Our cruise leaves May 3 on the Solstice but haven't yet been able to even review our documents.  We're in Aqua so no special boarding.      Just want to make getting on the ship as easy as possible.   We'll be staying at the Pan Pacific - right at the port.  Thanks for any insight.

love the Pan Pacific.  Their restaurant is quite good

Return after Covid last year was a bit chaotic, I think partly due to misinformation regarding ArriveCan app.  heard things are better.    Fabulous cruise.  

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, lynncarol said:

Our whole family has global entry.  However, I'm pretty sure it only works for getting into the USA.  I don't think it will help at all in Canada.

GE can be very helpful at Canada Place because passengers have to leave Canada and enter Alaska and thus will  pass through US immigration at Canada Place. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for the great info. We do have Global Entry and surprised it will be useful there - worth the hassle of getting it!  This is our first post pandemic cruise and we can hardly wait!  Thanks again💕

20 minutes ago, blackshirt said:

There is no immigration or customs at embarkation. 

I've always gone through it in Canada Place.  It's US Immigration because the ship is sailing to US waters and it's a way to streamline the process.  It has been 3 years since I've gone to Vancouver to start a cruise but I think I'm remembering correctly.  Here's a link:  https://www.portvancouver.com/cruise/passenger-information/  It's under the Boarding and Disembarkation tab.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, blackshirt said:

There is no immigration or customs at embarkation. 

There is as the ship is heading to US waters.  Customs and Immigration at Canada Place as part of the boarding process.

To the OP - Asking about how boarding will go in any port is probably just fine but maybe not so good.  For example have boarding in Tampa in 15 minutes and had it take FOUR HOURS- never found out why.  Vancouver anywhere from 30 minutes since covid up to 2+ hours?  No way to predict.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Interesting thread. Same cruise as the OP. We have a boarding time slot 11-11:30. With that in mind, when should we arrive at the port to clear US Customs, check in and make that 11 boarding time? 

48 minutes ago, lienf said:

Interesting thread. Same cruise as the OP. We have a boarding time slot 11-11:30. With that in mind, when should we arrive at the port to clear US Customs, check in and make that 11 boarding time? 

I do not think the terminal will begin processing boarding passengers before 10 or 10:30am. The longer lines are after 1pm as most people flying in day of cruise arrive in Vancouver around 11am to noon.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Thanks 1

We have boarded at Canada Place several times pre-pandemic and two times since the resumption of cruises.   We have not experienced extreme long lines or massive confusion.

For those not staying at the Pan Pacific the bag drop is on the lower level of the facility.   After the bag drop you will be directed to the escalators.  We have not had great lines at US Immigration.  Just arrive about 10:45 or so.

• Thanks 2