missing the crunch

xyzcruiser

It may seem silly but even with the abundance of food available onboard, I find the thing I miss the most while cruising is food with crunch such as potato chips, hard taco shells, crackers, nuts, etc, or even some crunchy vegetables. I find that pretty much all the food is the same mushy texture- although I am fine with the flavor.  I cruise 3-4 times a year usually on the smaller Carnival ships, with a few rcl and ncl thrown in. The only things crunchy I can find consistently are the potato sticks on Guy's fixin bar and sometimes some nuts at breakfast with the cereals.  Can I just bring a bag of chips and some nuts? If so, in the carryon or checked luggage?  If not, any suggestions for crunchy things available on board? Thanks for your help.

Edited by xyzcruiser

Yes, you can bring your own snacks onboard if they are still factory sealed.

My guess to the reason that they don't have crunchy snacks out like chips or nuts is that there are people who would empty the entire container and take it back to their room.

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, staceyglow said:

My guess to the reason that they don't have crunchy snacks out like chips or nuts is that there are people who would empty the entire container and take it back to their room.

On the E-Class Celebrity ships (Edge,Apex,Beyond) there's a Cafe, the Eden Cafe, that used to have those little individual bags of Lays potato chips just sitting out on the counter for anyone to take. And exactly as you said, they were always gone in a snap. Celebrity wised up and now the cafe still offers potato chips but it's behind the counter where they prepare the made-to-order sandwiches and it's no longer individual sealed bags; they put a small handful on the plate next to the sandwich. 

I will agree with the OP that with as much included food items on most cruiseships there are some things that definitely aren't available. Agree with the crunchy food items along with Candy. So far Virgin Voyages is one of the few cruiselines that offer candy and other snack foods not found on other cruise lines. Regarding candy Celebrity USED to have M&Ms and other candies as add-ons in the buffet Ice cream area. No more. Now it's just sprinkles. 

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, xyzcruiser said:

It may seem silly but even with the abundance of food available onboard, I find the thing I miss the most while cruising is food with crunch such as potato chips, hard taco shells, crackers, nuts, etc, or even some crunchy vegetables. I find that pretty much all the food is the same mushy texture- although I am fine with the flavor.  I cruise 3-4 times a year usually on the smaller Carnival ships, with a few rcl and ncl thrown in. 

Not silly @ all. By day 4/5 on a week long cruise I start to crave potato chips,  even though I don’t eat them often @ home. Never thought much about it til reading your post. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, May1cruiser said:

This is my exact thought process. I would really like to sit at a bar and order some nachos. One ship a long time ago even had warm pretzels. This is a miss for us. 

I forgot to add that on Celebrity the Retreat Lounge for suite customers has the munchies you're looking for. 

I didn't realize how much I missed the "crunch" on cruises until we sailed on the Allure last year.  They have chips in their Park Cafe.  We stuck it to 'em on the Sun Chips!!! LOL!!  My first thought would be to bring Pringles since they are in a can - less likely to get squashed in a bag or suitcase.  Thanks a lot - now I'm craving some salty chips!!!!  😅

In case you weren't aware, you can get chips with your sandwich at the Deli and through room service.  Back before they started charging for room service, I would order just chips sometimes (well, with other stuff, but I would "hold the sandwich" 🙂)

• Haha 1

I'll add that for a long time I thought if they just had some tortilla chips at lunch time at the Blue Iguana it'd be perfect to go with all those different salsas they have.

Also, you can ask for nuts at the Alchemy Bar and they'll provide them along with some cheese.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, ARcruisin2 said:

I'm with you! If I'm craving something, it's usually something crunchy.

I've always wondered why there were not chips available at Blue Iguana for dipping with salsa, etc

So glad I'm not the only one to notice this, although I thought I was!  I've never heard anyone else say anything about it.  Several yummy salsas and no chips.  Strange.  Love me some Blue Iguana food is fresh, good & healthy!

I always take various snack packs of brands that I like in my pocketbook/carry on.

Sometimes a pack of cheese crackers and a beer is LUNCH for me.

Fritos and M and M's are a good midnight snack too!  (LOL)

• Haha 1

For our last several cruises, we have taken a sealed package of Chex mix and a sealed can of peanuts onboard, plus half a dozen sandwich bags. When we're sitting in a lounge or bar after dinner, we just ask for an empty rocks glass or coffee cup and pour from the sandwich bag into the glass. We always have multiple people asking where we got snacks, and we usually share with the polite ones. Even with the vast amount of food available, nothing beats a salty crunchy snack with drinks.

• Like 2

I tend to buy potato chips and nuts at a convenience store at various ports of call.  The problem with this is that sometimes I'll find a really tasty brand and then I can't find it at home.  (There is a great brand of Italian chips!)  And I found a Mars bar somewhere in the Med, and I can't find any locally.  (I did find Mars bars at a liquor store in San Francisco, but that is too far to go for a candy bar!!)

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

I tend to buy potato chips and nuts at a convenience store at various ports of call.  The problem with this is that sometimes I'll find a really tasty brand and then I can't find it at home.  (There is a great brand of Italian chips!)  And I found a Mars bar somewhere in the Med, and I can't find any locally.  (I did find Mars bars at a liquor store in San Francisco, but that is too far to go for a candy bar!!)

You don't even have to leave your house to get Mars bars!

https://www.amazon.com/Mars-Chocolate-Bars-12-Count/dp/B000L1GRQO/ref=asc_df_B000L1GRQO/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312157254677&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7348265433193884623&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9030819&hvtargid=pla-569131454839&psc=1