Jim_Iain Apex Key West, TansAtlantic and British Isle with a Week in Amsterdam

Jim_Iain

35 minutes ago, hcat said:

we will never get to ZENITH..We will remain at E + forever....esp now that we are cruising much less frequently...love our Winter Home  so wanderlust has waned!

but for ZENITHS  is it really about  lack of elevated perks or happiness or tiredness of the X experience...?  

good to try new cruise lines..some never returned but many others have 

Gen X (Charla) ..who is a frequent blogger here but not Zenith) recently tried something new and seemdd to have enjoyed it, but now but appears to be back to X  for her next few. 

The main complaint started with Zeniths not in suites being temporarily kicked out of Retreat (which was the major perk) “due to Covid”.   That was then made permanent. 

Second was the removal of Suite Cruise Only fare without perks.   If you are in Suite and Zenith basically it means nothing except free laundry and that goes away with Royal and above. 

Finally it’s the inconsistency in things like lunches or even a Zenith gathering between ships. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, TrueCruiseaholic said:

Opinions vary from person to person. Celebrity is not what it was years ago. Most Zeniths have been sailing for 10, 20, 30+ years and have seen aspects of a Celebrity cruise that they once liked being removed over the years. I really liked Retreat Lounge access, but unless I'm in a Suite, I don't receive it anymore. I really liked dinners with officers. As Jim said, unless there are 15+ Zeniths, no lunch or anything. The issue for me is nostalgia. I liked things the way they were before and almost all changes are coded negative for me now.

Cruising is still fun, but the fact that I have less Zenith benefits now than before is not at all a good thing IMO.

You are so wise and explained it so much better than I.  

Even little things like the Captains Toast for cc with top cruiser.  They use to recognize each Zenith and even bring us up for a group picture.  Recently they didn’t even say the Usual Thank you to our loyal Zenith. 

When I got angry on Solstice the host didn’t even bring us in for seating or cards let alone cards with names in it the front row.   By the time we fought our way in all the seats were filled so we just left.   That’s when I wrote Andrea.   

I won’t rehash all that. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I was going to UT Knoxville.   We would go over and pick them up at the Cherokee Reservation.  It wasn’t far and my Roommate and I always scheduled no classes on Friday and would go fly fishing near Gatlinburg.   Sorry mistyping.  It was NC not SC.  

All the relatives on my mothers side were from Sevier County and Pigeon Forge (Dolly Parton hadn’t yet made it big but was a local entertainer).  

😁 That makes more sense!  We are 1 1/2 hours from UT one direction (all of my children are graduates), and 1 hour from Asheville, NC  going the other way.  I am from SC, but have lived in TN for the past 40 years.  Was in Knoxville last weekend.😉

Your photos are stunning!!!  

1 hour ago, TrueCruiseaholic said:

Most Zeniths have been sailing for 10, 20, 30+ years and have seen aspects of a Celebrity cruise that they once liked being removed over the years. I really liked dinners with officers. As Jim said, unless there are 15+ Zeniths, no lunch or anything.

45 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Even little things like the Captains Toast for cc with top cruiser.  They use to recognize each Zenith and even bring us up for a group picture.  Recently they didn’t even say the Usual Thank you to our loyal Zenith. 

I know a couple that turned Double Zenith, and no celebration, no anything.  It was not even mentioned.

Edited by Texed
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

The main complaint started with Zeniths not in suites being temporarily kicked out of Retreat (which was the major perk) “due to Covid”.   That was then made permanent. 

Second was the removal of Suite Cruise Only fare without perks.   If you are in Suite and Zenith basically it means nothing except free laundry and that goes away with Royal and above. 

Finally it’s the inconsistency in things like lunches or even a Zenith gathering between ships. 

all  these things  are deserved and should be restored..  they inspire others to keep booking.

seems rather greedy that they are always pushing suites over ling time loyalty! 

maybe u can  get some changes made...in your quiet but very influential way!  ENJOY!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hcat said:

all  these things  are deserved and should be restored..  they inspire others to keep booking.

seems rather greedy that they are always pushing suites over ling time loyalty! 

maybe u can  get some changes made...in your quiet but very influential way!  ENJOY!

They are not pushing suites over long time loyalty.  They are separate issues entirely IMO.  If one pays the exorbitant prices these days for a suite experience, what does that have to do with benefits for Z, E+ or E?  Those Loyalty benefits are perks.  The suite benefits are paid for.  They can address the Loyalty perks (and restore the Z's benefits) without the idea that they compete with Suites.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

We will watch you sail away this evening from our hotel overlooking the beach.  We are excited as we will be crossing on the Beyond tomorrow. 
Are you required to do tests?  

It has been fun to follow you. Agree it’s a beautiful day in Fort Lauderdale. 

8 minutes ago, Texed said:

I know a couple that turned Double Zenith, and no celebration, no anything.  It was not even mentioned.

Unfortunately, there is no official policy for 2x or more Zenith. Or to rephrase, the policy for 2x or more is no recognition in the same manner as the official Zenith crossing event. It does seem strange to have a big "to do" about Zenith but when people do it all over again there is no recognition. If the couple referred here had started back at zero after crossing Zenith, they would have gotten Zenith again and received the big "to do" again. Alas, I had written earlier in this thread, Celebrity does not really incentivize loyalty beyond 3000 points. You would think that 6000 points would merit greater recognition, but no recognition at all is completely inappropriate IMO.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Texed said:

It is like everything. A big deal and fuss is made for those that are first and then it becomes old and not news worthy.  

The first soldiers coming home from the WW1 and WW2  had big parades. Those that returned later were no longer welcomed.   They couldn’t even get their jobs back.  

The first astronauts that landed on the moon were heroes.  A few years later they were still making trips to the moon but the public lost interest and very few cared.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, miched said:

It is like everything. A big deal and fuss is made for those that are first and then it becomes old and not news worthy.  
The first soldiers coming home from the WW1 and WW2  had big parades. Those that returned later were no longer welcomed.   They couldn’t even get their jobs back.  

I guess you are right.  I was one of those.  😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Jim. Missed your photos and meeting you two. My husband came back to the room and spoke of chatting with a couple up at the smoke area. He was the glass guy that lived on Maui and we are going to Amsterdam next month. 
Great cruise everyone. Best small show was Caravan in The Club. Apex is a beautiful ship. Yes, there were chair hogs at the main pool. 

Edited by Dancing Shoes

50 minutes ago, miched said:

The first soldiers coming home from the WW1 and WW2  had big parades. Those that returned later were no longer welcomed.   They couldn’t even get their jobs back

That is nothing like what happened to my generation when soldiers returned from Viet Nam and where called baby killers, accused of war crimes and spat upon by the haters.

The down grading of loyalty benefits is not only in the cruise industry, look at your frequent flyer and hotel loyalty benefits, nothing like they were pre Covid. We no longer cruise, fly or stay based on loyalty accounts, we do so based on the providers we like best and in most cases could care less about status benefits.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 4

On 4/19/2023 at 11:40 AM, Iamthesea said:

I'd love to have a link for future cruises out of Amsterdam.  Just booked another last night that goes out of Rotterdam.  Not sure we would want to stay there.

My husband asked his doctor for an RX of Paxlovid.  Also asked for a RX for me.  The doctor gave him the prescription, but said that I would have to ask my own doctor.  I am not sure I would take it, so I am not planning on asking for it.  I realize that Paxlovid cannot be shared, but hopefully, one pack will be enough should one of us get sick.  Now we need to get some test kits.

My doc said that they are NOW allowed to prescribe Paxlovid as a precaution if you are high-risk (over 65 or other medical condition).  It used to be (a year ago) that you had to test positive to get it. 

19 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I've heard that but you have to remember back in the stone ages when I was in school the portable computer was not to be invented for another 20 years.   I had one of the first with DOS 1.0 and Two huge floopy drives.   The home hard drive was not available yer.    I worked for a Disk Drive Company and we had one of the first home Hard Drive.... About $800 and weighed 10 pounds.     They had huge capacity of 10 Megabytes.   Yes Megabytes.    

Jim - One of these days, when you are not cruising around the world, I'd love for you to walk us through your resume.  It seems you have had many diverse employments throughout your life. I think it would be a wonderful off topic discussion.  The "pilot" took me by surprise.  I'm enjoying your present journey!

17 minutes ago, VitaminSea53 said:

My doc said that they are NOW allowed to prescribe Paxlovid as a precaution if you are high-risk (over 65 or other medical condition).  It used to be (a year ago) that you had to test positive to get it. 

I am 65 and DH is 70.   We are still hearing about people we know that have recently come down with Covid.  A couple with pneumonia, as well.    We had the latest pneumonia vaccine, all 5 Covid vaccines, shingles, etc.  I am praying that we will be protected for our upcoming trip.  And of course, we will take precautions.

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Wondering if Beyond was odd man out.   Both Apex and Edge face out to ocean.  Only problem is the usually have the Magic Carpet block the View. 

we only looked at the teaser ads.. it did mention the MC..but thought that would  be moved up a few decks??

booking not open  yet..thought it might be something diff. to try?? not a must do!

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

They are not pushing suites over long time loyalty.  They are separate issues entirely IMO.  If one pays the exorbitant prices these days for a suite experience, what does that have to do with benefits for Z, E+ or E?  Those Loyalty benefits are perks.  The suite benefits are paid for.  They can address the Loyalty perks (and restore the Z's benefits) without the idea that they compete with Suites.

i agee generally,  but to me ZENITHS are a  very special group of cruisers and should not be deleted from RETREAT. Are there that many of them on any indiv cruise?

To me they deserve the Retreat access, without being in suite , along with  the get togethers and Special Recognition.  It used to be exciting  when the top cruisers were honored.

We do not cruise that much anymore so we appreciate and enjoy whatever perks we get.. but we do miss the early embark and disrembark we used to get with AQ Class/ E +, .but just go with the flow.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

I am 65 and DH is 70.   We are still hearing about people we know that have recently come down with Covid.  A couple with pneumonia, as well.    We had the latest pneumonia vaccine, all 5 Covid vaccines, shingles, etc.  I am praying that we will be protected for our upcoming trip.  And of course, we will take precautions.

Second omicron booster just approved if it has been 4 months since last booster or sick with COVID. I got mine last week in preparation for my cruise on the 6th. I will be gone a total of 26 days in Europe. I will also bring paxlovid 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

😁 That makes more sense!  We are 1 1/2 hours from UT one direction (all of my children are graduates), and 1 hour from Asheville, NC  going the other way.  I am from SC, but have lived in TN for the past 40 years.  Was in Knoxville last weekend.😉

Your photos are stunning!!!  

Thanks.  My last Uncle died and my only 2 cousins are now also in California.   I brought my mother back to Blount County to be buried at Eusebia Cemetery next to her parents and relatives back to the Revelation.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mauimary said:

We will watch you sail away this evening from our hotel overlooking the beach.  We are excited as we will be crossing on the Beyond tomorrow. 
Are you required to do tests?  

It has been fun to follow you. Agree it’s a beautiful day in Fort Lauderdale. 

Absolutely no testing. We didn’t even have to fill out the health check. 

We will wave. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, hcat said:

i agee generally,  but to me ZENITHS are a  very special group of cruisers and should not be deleted from RETREAT. Are there that many of them on any indiv cruise?

To me they deserve the Retreat access, without being in suite , along with  the get togethers and Special Recognition.  It used to be exciting  when the top cruisers were honored.

We do not cruise that much anymore so we appreciate and enjoy whatever perks we get.. but we do miss the early embark and disrembark we used to get with AQ Class/ E +, .but just go with the flow.

Totally agree that Z's should be allowed to use the Retreat Lounge (or Michael's Club).