Questions about MSC

jagsfan

6 hours ago, ready2cruzagain said:

Ocean Cay is beautiful and our favorite private island. We have been to the island 7 times and enjoy it each time we go. Last time we decided to just walk the entire island and explore. The water is pristine. It is a quiet island a marine reserve.  No loud music or water trampolines. 

excellent.  and is it true they sometimes have fireworks as the ship leaves or perhaps that was a a special thing I saw on You Tube?

1 hour ago, MsTabbyKats said:

I haven't been on MSC since 10/2019.  As far as the food, and I'm not a picky eater at all, if it's that important to you, their food wasn't "something to sail for".  I lived on pizza for a week...now that was good pizza.

The shows were excellent.

International crowd...which I liked.  Not "Carnval people" for sure.

Going again in 2 weeks...but YC this time.

I remember when you first booked your upcoming cruise in YC. I hope you have a great time.

2 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

excellent.  and is it true they sometimes have fireworks as the ship leaves or perhaps that was a a special thing I saw on You Tube?

If the ship is there into the evening, there could be a light show on the lighthouse.

Just now, shipgeeks said:

If the ship is there into the evening, there could be a light show on the lighthouse.

aw nice to know.

I am still thinking about MSC since ships are supposed to be pretty but I heard a wide range of comments on the food.  Then again, everyone has comments about food on all the lines.

4 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

They have a light show at the lighthouse if you are there at dark. That is probably what you seen.  It is nice but wayyyyyyy too short. They also have a beach party. We stayed over night at the island last time and it was very nice.  You have to be back on the ship at I think 11pm. But it was really nice waking up and watching the sun come up. The island is beautiful. 

1 hour ago, Oceansaway17 said:

aw nice to know.

I am still thinking about MSC since ships are supposed to be pretty but I heard a wide range of comments on the food.  Then again, everyone has comments about food on all the lines.

Just my observation but most of the people that complain about the food are the ones that are super picky.  I watched several you tube videos and one women was complaining because there was nothing to eat. Just the same thing every day for breakfast in the buffet.  (The buffet actually has a lot of variety for breakfast).  She then said she ate pizza for 3 days because there was nothing else to eat in the buffet.  I guess she didn't walk very far because we never had that problem at all.  Most people walk into the front of the buffet then go no further when there are several more selections the further back you go.  

I also found that most people doing the complaining eat only in the buffet and never go to the MDR.  

You will find a lot more complaints online than you will people saying how much they like something because people that have a great time and enjoy things rarely write reviews.  I wrote my first review after our Meraviglia cruise in January after 56 cruises. I did it because I was tired of all the people complaining. We had a totally different experience and loved the Mera. Was there problems, of course, show me a cruise line that doesn't have problems but we preferred to look at the good things. I am not one to make little things annoy me.  

My biggest suggestion to you is if you do book MSC is to go into it with an open mind and do NOT think it is RC or Carnival.  It is MSC, an Italian cruise line that is quite unique and I hope they never change to be truthful.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ready2cruzagain said:

Just my observation but most of the people that complain about the food are the ones that are super picky.  I watched several you tube videos and one women was complaining because there was nothing to eat. Just the same thing every day for breakfast in the buffet.  (The buffet actually has a lot of variety for breakfast).  She then said she ate pizza for 3 days because there was nothing else to eat in the buffet.  I guess she didn't walk very far because we never had that problem at all.  Most people walk into the front of the buffet then go no further when there are several more selections the further back you go.  

I also found that most people doing the complaining eat only in the buffet and never go to the MDR.  

You will find a lot more complaints online than you will people saying how much they like something because people that have a great time and enjoy things rarely write reviews.  I wrote my first review after our Meraviglia cruise in January after 56 cruises. I did it because I was tired of all the people complaining. We had a totally different experience and loved the Mera. Was there problems, of course, show me a cruise line that doesn't have problems but we preferred to look at the good things. I am not one to make little things annoy me.  

My biggest suggestion to you is if you do book MSC is to go into it with an open mind and do NOT think it is RC or Carnival.  It is MSC, an Italian cruise line that is quite unique and I hope they never change to be truthful.

Could not agree more! I am doing a live review of my current Meraviglia sailing and so far it is WAY more positive than negative. Are there some quirky and confusing things? Sure! But the cruise has been fantastic overall and I am very very happy we already have a couple more MSC sailings booked. Saw so many negative reviews ahead of time that I was thinking we might have to cancel our other sailings when we got home from this one, before final payment is due. No risk of that now! Can't wait to be back on MSC!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, ready2cruzagain said:

I like all the cruise lines. The old Home lines back in 70's was Italian.  I think the newer Carnival ships are very nice.  I would not do Virgin though.

So please if anyone can provide me with name of the first MSC ship I should take out of USA waters I shall be thinking and thinking.

1 hour ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I like all the cruise lines. The old Home lines back in 70's was Italian.  I think the newer Carnival ships are very nice.  I would not do Virgin though.

So please if anyone can provide me with name of the first MSC ship I should take out of USA waters I shall be thinking and thinking.

Let me make your research somewhat easier.  Go to cruisetimetables.com, select Cruise ships, and scroll down to MSC.  Click on each ship to see where it is currently sailing.  I believe there are only three sailing ‘in US waters’, although during the winters, some sail the Caribbean without touching the US.  Some may consider the Caribbean to be US waters…

There are members here who are reporting on cruises from Europe.  You might solicit their opinions.  EM

15 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Let me make your research somewhat easier.  Go to cruisetimetables.com, select Cruise ships, and scroll down to MSC.  Click on each ship to see where it is currently sailing.  I believe there are only three sailing ‘in US waters’, although during the winters, some sail the Caribbean without touching the US.  Some may consider the Caribbean to be US waters…

There are members here who are reporting on cruises from Europe.  You might solicit their opinions.  EM

oh I meant which ship itself was nicer and had better entertainment.  I am to the point that itinerary is not important for Caribbean.   I know folks like Davina but then the newer ones are here as well.

I might hold off on MSC for a few more years.

On 4/14/2023 at 10:56 AM, Illbcruzn4life said:

Enjoy the rest of your cruise. 

I think the short 3 and 4 day cruises might be like Carnival cruises because MSC decided not to sell drink packages on those cruises.

I should say they are trying to keep them from becoming like Carnival cruises.

I have a 4 night booked in November on the Seaside and we have the drink package.  Not sure why you think they are not offering drink package.

Many of the complaints about food are from folks are surprised to find that the Italian cuisine on an Italian line is nothing like  the Olive Garden /Pizza Hut/ quasi Italian American food that they think is Italian.  (No meat balls, garlic bread, butter automatically offered to destroy the flavor of the freshly baked bread, etc,)

There is also less sugar used in recipes .

There is a wide range of food offered in the buffet, including cuisine from any country of which there is a group on board.  Get past the limited American offerings up front (hamburgers, fries, hot dogs) and try something new.

• Like 6

On 4/14/2023 at 9:41 AM, morpheusofthesea said:

The advantages of Diamond are not that great. We would rather be first timers, silver? in the YC than Diamond outside the YC in any category. However you all may still be too young to be spoiled so early in life. Take it slow and easy. Work your ways up to the best life has to offer. Too much of the best in life at an early age can damage your pysche later on. Do not recommend doing the Yacht Club too early in ones life, especially grandparents bringing their grandchildren. Unless these grandparents set aside a nice inheritance for them.

So, don't do it ! Ones life will spiral down into a world of hedonism from which there is no return.

I didn't book the Yacht Club because that just seemed too extra. Just like I wouldn't do Aqua Spa on Celebrity. Unfortunately we did fall into the trap of spoiling our child too young in life because on a recent trip I mentioned we may fly economy and he asked me what economy was. We probably should have been harder on him and us fly business and put him in economy.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, fluffybunny22 said:

I didn't book the Yacht Club because that just seemed too extra. Just like I wouldn't do Aqua Spa on Celebrity. Unfortunately we did fall into the trap of spoiling our child too young in life because on a recent trip I mentioned we may fly economy and he asked me what economy was. We probably should have been harder on him and us fly business and put him in economy.

You fly business/first, and have spouse and child fly coach. Then go ahead and plan how you will handle visitation with your child after the divorce!😉

7 minutes ago, JAGR said:

You fly business/first, and have spouse and child fly coach. Then go ahead and plan how you will handle visitation with your child after the divorce!😉

We just flew business home from dropping our son off in France for study abroad and on the way home there was a couple in business and the dad slept the entire flight and their kid came from economy and needed something from the mom and she disappeared back to economy to deal with the kid. When we were booking the flights my husband asked me what I wanted to do and I asked him if he wanted me to say of course sweetheart I want to fly for 9 hours in the middle seat in economy. Our son is flying home from France by himself in business.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, fluffybunny22 said:

Unfortunately we did fall into the trap of spoiling our child too young in life because on a recent trip I mentioned we may fly economy and he asked me what economy was.

Yup, all it took was one time on Delta One going across the Atlantic when they were 6 and 8 years old, and from that point forward my kids thought that they were too good for anything less than that.

I was quick to rectify the situation by booking flights on Spirit for a subsequent trip (“yeah, there’s no inflight entertainment so bring a book and a bottle of water”) with no seat assignment (“oh well, we may get separated”), or paid luggage (“you can only bring whatever you can fit in a bag that you’ll have to shove under your seat”). 😂 

That brought them right back to Earth. Glad I nipped that one in the bud early on. We still fly First or Business class sporadically, but now when we do, my kids treat it as a privilege that they are truly grateful for, and not as something that they are entitled to. Phew. 

• Like 2