Electrical outage on the Grand; guests in 250 cabins relocated

PescadoAmarillo

That is awful for the passengers and the crew (who will be dealing with very unhappy passengers).  As terrible as it is, thank goodness they had the cabins to move people to versus being a sold out voyage.  I can only imagine how complicated that would be.  The dining rooms will be a nightmare of congestion, again thank goodness not a full ship as it may help the flow.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fletch1 said:

Recent update tonight……

GRAND PRINCESS : No electricity starting at midnight  April 15 and still no electricity at 6pm April 16 in section 7 of the ship.  So all cabins 700-750 on every deck and the Vista Lounge has no electricity, lights, or air conditioning. We are docked in Tahiti.  We were in a 700 balcony - and just moved to a noisy inside E cabin.  Apparently the problem cannot be fixed soon so all passengers in 700-750 on all decks are currently being moved.  Below are recordings of the Captain that came into all cabins at midnight April 15, the middle of the night April 16, and later on the 16th.  There was smoke somewhere, no fire.
I tried talking to a Manager stating we are Elite, on board for 33 days, in a corner balcony, and couldn't they find us a better cabin than this inside E cabin.  He stated no, but there would be "compensation", they'll tell us tomorrow.  We have 14 days left which includes Hawaii and many sea days. At this point, I have no words - we are in a terrible inside cabin for the best 2 weeks of this cruise.  And we were up all night with no air conditioning or lights.  We're exhausted from packing & unpacking.  We cannot imagine every deck of cabins 700-750 currently being moved .... They say we could use both cabins but running from B to E to shower, watch TV, IN THE DARK, or whatever would be, well, ridiculous.   I'm trying to stay positive but "compensation" better be at least a refund of 14 of our 33 days - at a minimum.   I hate to be negative, but after all the buckets of water leaks the last 2 weeks, the smell in the Princess Theatre of mildew, and now ALL OF THE AFT from cabins 700 to 750 and the Vista without electricity for who knows how long - maybe till Hawaii next week or maybe not till the end of the cruise - I'd really have to say avoid going on the Grand.  And for those who love to comment to everyone all the time, "Oh you're on a cruise, quit complaining and enjoy your cruise", if you comment that to me today,  FYI   THE ANNIVERSARY OF THE SINKING OF THE TITANIC was yesterday when our electricity went out.  Up until then, the people on the Titanic were having a pretty good cruise too (humor ... too soon?!)  I will add a thank you to the Captain - he kept us informed throughout the night, he was calm, professional, and he somehow is moving some 250 cabin full of passengers into empty cabins. — with Cj Moffitt.

From the CC AU/NZ board

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Crystabel said:

Time to get rid of the Grand…really past time! 

No!

We are on this sailing.  They are doing every possible to accommodate passengers in zone 7, as well as the rest of the ship that is impacted by the reduced space.  We have been on much newer ships that have had far worse problems.  If you book the Grand, you book it for a reason.  In fact, we booked another trans Pacific on the Grand for 2024, and are awaiting later this month to book some2025 sailings.

If you don't the Grand, simply don't book it!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4

24 minutes ago, AnyMajorCruiseDude said:

No!

We are on this sailing.  They are doing every possible to accommodate passengers in zone 7, as well as the rest of the ship that is impacted by the reduced space.  We have been on much newer ships that have had far worse problems.  If you book the Grand, you book it for a reason.  In fact, we booked another trans Pacific on the Grand for 2024, and are awaiting later this month to book some2025 sailings.

We too love the Grand! Sounds like it was lucky there was space to move people to and that Princess is doing everything they need to accommodate passengers. 

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, AnyMajorCruiseDude said:

No!

We’ve been on the Grand several times, and on every cruise, there were problems. Many involved water dripping from the ceiling in varying areas, and Princess can’t seem to solve the problem. We love that class of ship, but the Grand has seen better days. I hope you have a wonderful 2024 cruise. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Crystabel said:

We’ve been on the Grand several times, and on every cruise, there were problems. Many involved water dripping from the ceiling in varying areas, and Princess can’t seem to solve the problem. We love that class of ship, but the Grand has seen better days. I hope you have a wonderful 2024 cruise. 

We will, thx 🙏 

• Like 2

Atleast if they had 250 empty cabins they would have been 500 below capacity. That is similar to the time in the recovery when they only ran 2 main dining rooms.

49 minutes ago, Crystabel said:

Was the water dripping from the same spot each time?  That would be the only case where the ship couldn't "seem to solve the problem".  If the pipes develop leaks at various locations, but it is fixed at that location, but pops up somewhere else, it is not that they can't fix the problem, but there is a continuing problem.  To fix that problem is very costly and time consuming.  NCL's Sky had to do this, renewing every foot of the miles of water piping on the ship.  We had to block off one deck full of cabins each week, to allow for all the piping on that deck to be renewed.

• Thanks 8

3 hours ago, Crystabel said:

I have been on the Grand Princess multiple times.  The only times I have seen water dripping is in humid environments were some fool has left the balcony door open and the room door open. Water condenses out of humid air when it hits cold pipes in the ceiling space. So be nice and do not leave the balcony door open for extended periods.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, jennybenny said:

We too love the Grand! Sounds like it was lucky there was space to move people to and that Princess is doing everything they need to accommodate passengers. 

Some were also offered the option to transit to the Majestic, which is follwing us.  Supposedly at a much lower occupancy, and much newer for those that prefer that.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, AnyMajorCruiseDude said:

Some were also offered the option to transit to the Majestic, which is follwing us.  Supposedly at a much lower occupancy, and much newer for those that prefer that.

Considering that would likely mean a few days in Tahiti at Princess expense, with the opportunity for a side trip to Moorea or Bora Bora at their own expense, it would be hard for anyone downgraded from a balcony to an inside or OV to pass that up if the timing still works for them. 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Considering that would likely mean a few days in Tahiti at Princess expense, with the opportunity for a side trip to Moorea or Bora Bora at their own expense, it would be hard for anyone downgraded from a balcony to an inside or OV to pass that up if the timing still works for them. 

Well, was told only certain categories were made offers, mostly higher categories.  Majestic is only one day behind us, so not much time to visit other areas.  

I agree it would have been a good way to extend the vacation and avoid uncomfortable accommodations if in a targeted cabin and schedule s permitting.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

In the old days Papeete was great to visit, we would stay at the waterfront in an old hotel to get the feel of the place, last time when we were there the place looked shabby and we  were told by the locals hardly any tourists as it has got so expensive, they pay no income tax and everything is added on to goods, food and services.  Bora Bora is the place to go beautiful flight up there and be sure to get a window right hand side.

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

We are booked on Grand for 33 days in October/November and are looking forward to a great cruise. Sorry folks are having such a difficult time. It's really unfortunate.

You will have a great time.  Not really a difficult time, but some are more flexible than others.  Surely you already know the Grand is old!

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, AnyMajorCruiseDude said:

You will have a great time.  Not really a difficult time, but some are more flexible than others.  Surely you already know the Grand is old!

Oldest ship left in the fleet. The largest cruise ship in the world when it was new.

Inaugural Cruise: May 26, 1998

We have only sailed on Grand Princess once. It was in 2014. Sailed in C752 - aft corner balcony. My wife loved that cabin. Probably her favorite to date as it had the wake view.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Oldest ship left in the fleet. The largest cruise ship in the world when it was new.

Inaugural Cruise: May 26, 1998

We have only sailed on Grand Princess once. It was in 2014. Sailed in C752 - aft corner balcony. My wife loved that cabin. Probably her favorite to date as it had the wake view.

Cool.  We’ve been on Grand 24 times, and still love it and keep booking it!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1