Carnival Bans Couple Fishing From Balcony

stobe1

Now...if only Carnival would be this aggressive about banning people with even worse behavior than fishing from their balcony, maybe behavior would improve and their tarnished reputation could be repaired.  Personally, I think banning someone in this situation is a bit extreme, but that's just me. I have seen things far, far worse that would warrant banishment.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/carnival-cruise-line-passengers-video-fishing-over-balcony

Edited by stobe1
  • Like 4

My husband told me about this yesterday. I agree it would be great if Carnival was a little more hard nose on other onboard offenses that disrupt things for all guests.  I would LOVE to see that too.  In this case though their backside is on the line with regulatory rules, so they have to act.  

Edited by wemjam
  • Like 3

Was it a silly prank? Yes. Extremely dangerous? I don't know what some 20 pound test line could do to a ship. It seems the brand ambassador was doing a little fishing also........... for comments, likes, and shares. Are people fighting and doping on the ship permanently banned also? 

• Like 4

The idea this was "extremely dangerous" is laughable.  My son is a big fisher person (room full of fishing trophies) and I have been hooked so many times in my life by him...and he has hooked himself so many times.  It isn't pleasant to get a hook in you, but no one is dying.  Just the other day I sat on my bed and sat on a hook. Yup, he had been messing with a line for a trout  sitting in my bed watching tv and left it...then Mom came along and sat on it. In January, we were doing a trout tournament and he flung the rod back and hooked my other son.  It isn't that bad. Not in the size of hooks that are used. 

Edited by Eli_6

58 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

The idea this was "extremely dangerous" is laughable.  My son is a big fisher person (room full of fishing trophies) and I have been hooked so many times in my life by him...and he has hooked himself so many times.  It isn't pleasant to get a hook in you, but no one is dying.  Just the other day I sat on my bed and sat on a hook. Yup, he had been messing with a line for a trout  sitting in my bed watching tv and left it...then Mom came along and sat on it. In January, we were doing a trout tournament and he flung the rod back and hooked my other son.  It isn't that bad. Not in the size of hooks that are used. 

So you would be okay with someone fishing off the balcony directly above you with your sons sitting directly below?  The hook could literally go into an eye.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, staceyglow said:

So you would be okay with someone fishing off the balcony directly above you with your sons sitting directly below?  The hook could literally go into an eye.

I am not even sure how in the heck a fishing hook would hook someone on a different balcony above or below the fisher person unless the other person was hanging out over the balcony railing. You cast outwards.  Even if you drew back and cast poorly and and it went flying backwards, you would hit someone behind you on the same balcony.  That's how one son once hooked the other.  He was standing behind him on the dock. Only way I can see someone being hooked is if someone was casting when the ship was docked and hit someone on a dock below...but then why would you even be fishing because the boat is up next to the dock?  

With that said, I don't disagree that it is a dumb thing to do to fish off a balcony.  Very dumb, yes.  Extremely dangerous?  No.

Dumb because almost every country/state requires licensing and so you are probably breaking a law.  Dumb because you aren't going to catch anything decent like that anyway.  There is a reason fishing boats are close to the water and not stories up. 

However, I don't think it is worthy of a lifetime ban. No one is dying because they got hooked with a small fishing hook.  People do far more dangerous things all the time on carnival cruises that are against the rules--including using illegal drugs--and don't get banned for life.

I suspect the only reason they were banned was because they posted about it and it went viral and Carnival had to take a stance. If someone from Carnival had simply caught them, I doubt it would be a lifetime ban.

Edited by Eli_6
  • Like 5

My whole point of starting this thread was that if Carnival going to crack down on someone doing something as benign as fishing, I would hope that they would start to throw the book at those commiting bigger ticket offenses.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

It goes way beyond safety. Carnival has to follow regulations not only from the USA but the countries they might visit. There is no way that fisherman could have been sure that species of fish isn't endangered which in return could cause huge issues for Carnival. You say your son is a huge fisherman...if so then conservation should be an issue that he cares about. Most hunters care about conservation and despise poachers. It's easy to dismiss this as one fish...or one deer...or one lion. There is a reason poachers get shot in a lot of countries and why they can lose gun/fishing/hunting rights if caught in the US.  

Edited by ibarrio
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Frankly I'm surprised that fishing equipment is even allowed onboard unless it's a Ron Popeil Pocket Fisherman or something.

I don't think it is allowed on board.  I think that is probably how they are able to ban him...that and breaking the law and all. Guessing he probably had a foldable rod. 

1 hour ago, Eli_6 said:

I don't think it is allowed on board.  I think that is probably how they are able to ban him...that and breaking the law and all. Guessing he probably had a foldable rod. 

Yes, they are for in port use.  

Items for Port Use Only

The following items may be brought on board, but can be used off the ship, while in port only. All items must be stored in the guest’s stateroom.  

• Drone(s) are allowed, but must be held in the custody of the Chief Security Officer and must be checked out/in by the owner for PORT USE ONLY.
  • Snorkel gear
  • Segways
  • Skateboards
  • Golf clubs
  • Fishing rods
  • Tennis rackets
  • Kites
  • Roller blades or skates
  • Metal detectors
  • Beach chair
  • Umbrella
  • Beach Tent
  • Boogie Boards (maximum 42 inches in length)
  • Portable Folding Bicycles (maximum 20 inch tires)
  • Floatation devices:  For the comfort of all our guests, rafts, tubes and floatation devices other than those used as life preservers (water wings) cannot be used in the swimming pools on board
  • Collapsible wagons - For the safety of our guests, the wagon cannot be rolled onto/off the ship during embarkation and debarkation and cannot be rolled off/onto the ship while in port  
  • Like 1