Late boarding time allocated

Al_W

On 4/27/2023 at 12:59 PM, laslomas said:

Previous posters have mentioned the simplicity of embarking on Princess. My last few cruises were from Southampton on Celebrity. Boarding for me, with Celebrity, has always been very smooth, with no queues. I understanding the thinking in giving priority to Suites, and also based on the Loyalty programme tiers, but to not be flexible in allowing choice or changes is ridiculous. People are travelling from all parts of the country with different travel times. Also some coming by plane.

To find you are expected to board at 12:30 when 3:30 would suit you better could prove stressful for some. Not everyone will be clamouring for the early embarkation, for some that would mean an extra early start, or even an overnight stay pre-cruise involving more expense. Yes, they can turn up late, but someone else could have had their earlier time slot. I really do not see how the current system can ever work any better than just adequately. Suite guests could always be given priority, but a choice is surely the simplest solution to the embarkation process.

I shall wait and see how it is for my cruise in September and keep my fingers crossed that I am not given the time to embark when hundreds arrive on coaches and get priority!! 😕

I didn't think there was any problems with people arriving later than expected,  unless everyone turns up at 5 mins before last boarding.

I do not see the problem with people given allocated times , which are realistically  not before times. The more you pay or more often you sail with P&O the earlier you can check in. Not Woke but that's life.

1 minute ago, mrsgoggins said:

This exactly!  Last year we sailed with Celebrity and Princess out of Southampton and was able to choose our preferred boarding times in both cases. The Sky didn’t fall in.

We select our boarding times with Princess, but have never been asked what it is !

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Cunard online check in you preregister credit card and upload photos,  thought P&O would be same.  Could also ask to upload covid certificates and any thing else. Don't know about logistics of sending out cruise cards. If the did they need to be smart cards that don't work till your allotted boarding time

P&O do the same, however the big ships at full capacity are almost 3 times as many people I suppose.  I'd suggest P&O need to start earlier boarding if they want to control things more.

I've been speaking to them again this afternoon about technical problems with My Cruise and they mentioned yet again do not turn up early, you will be made to wait, a bit different to the lady who said after 3.00pm would be okay.

I've registered for my assistance so hopefully I'll get my seat at 3.00pm as that's when I've booked my transport to arrive based on my previous conversations.

8 minutes ago, wowzz said:

AFAIK coaches don't have an allotted time as such. They leave their various departure points with the expectation that they will arrive early afternoon. It is a little unrealistic to expect a coach coming from Glasgiw to hit a precise arrival time.

Why not they expect that of you if you drive, never mind how long the journey.

Anyway it's not a precise time , it's a not before time.

• Like 1

On the coach you have an approximate time

When you arrive at the dock you either go straight to check in. Or a holding area if it is full. Other passengers are not given the same times as coaches. So if you have to wait you have arrived too early 

Edited by happy v

5 hours ago, solentsam said:

just got off Brittania today. When we arrived on 16th April there was a queue for early arrivals that had been told to wait until their boarding time, we were ok because we had 12:15 time. So you may have to wait :classic_sad:

Thanks or the advice, good to know, we will aim to arrive as close to our time as possible so we don’t have to wait around too long. 

I'm not sure how coach arrivals are scheduled but on one occasion when we took the coach we had an extra "comfort break" because the driver said that due making good time on the journey we would arrive to far in advance of the scheduled time.  I assumed from this that they have an approximate time when they are expected to arrive.

• Like 2

Just now, Josy1953 said:

I'm not sure how coach arrivals are scheduled but on one occasion when we took the coach we had an extra "comfort break" because the driver said that due making good time on the journey we would arrive to far in advance of the scheduled time.  I assumed from this that they have an approximate time when they are expected to arrive.

I believe you are correct, also if there are issues at the port some of the coaches are asked to wait at an appropriate service station.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

I believe you are correct, also if there are issues at the port some of the coaches are asked to wait at an appropriate service station.

We once stopped at every service station from Newcastle. Slight exaggeration, but not much!! The driver had asked if he could take us to a park or shopping outlet but he wasn't allowed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

By the amount of people that complain about any boarding time after 1pm and say they will turn up when they feel like it. Also the fact when I turn up at my allotted time of 12nòon, terminal is full to the brim of people with later boarding times.

I thought every cruise line gave people allotted boarding times.

No we hardly ever queued at City Terminal with Celebrity or Royal Caribbean, even on Indy during summer holidays with well over 4000 passengers, and Princess which uses the same terminals as P&0.

I am guessing that the main reason is that all 3 of the above manage to disembark their old passenger faster than P&O, and start boarding the new ones at 10:30-11:00am, rather than Noon as P&O do.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

P&O do the same, however the big ships at full capacity are almost 3 times as many people I suppose.  I'd suggest P&O need to start earlier boarding if they want to control things more.

I've been speaking to them again this afternoon about technical problems with My Cruise and they mentioned yet again do not turn up early, you will be made to wait, a bit different to the lady who said after 3.00pm would be okay.

I've registered for my assistance so hopefully I'll get my seat at 3.00pm as that's when I've booked my transport to arrive based on my previous conversations.

If you have assistance booked they board you in the order of your boarding times. However they do not stick to them. If there is a pusher available they will not wait until your booked time they will get you on as soon as they can. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

Cunard online check in you preregister credit card and upload photos,  thought P&O would be same.  Could also ask to upload covid certificates and any thing else. Don't know about logistics of sending out cruise cards. If the did they need to be smart cards that don't work till your allotted boarding time

Been told p&o now do this. Cruise cards in the cabin. 

Edited by paulatsea

This problem with long queues queuing outside the terminal, is this just for the mega monsters and just restricted to Ocean terminal?

In the past boarding at Mayflower has not been a problem although the largest ship we have embarked there is Arcadia.  We travel in four weeks time so have not yet received times. But I am aware that P&O are still stating:-

"Benefits at our home port Priority arrival time allocation You will be allocated an early arrival time of 1pm. Please note: your e-ticket may not reflect this. But rest assured, you’re welcome to arrive from 1pm and we’ll check you in as a priority"

What alarmed us was a report that there were none P&O employees outside the terminals refusing to honour priority boarding as mentioned above only the e-ticket time. I can no longer find this post, whether it’s been deleted for causing alarm and despondency I do not know, We will be embarking Ventura which we still regard as a big ship, Has anyone had experience of it at Mayflower since sailing resumed at full capacity?

12 minutes ago, Bill Y said:

Has anyone had experience of it at Mayflower since sailing resumed at full capacity?

we boarded at Mayflower 16th April on Britannia, and yes the early arrivals were ask to wait outside in a queue. We arrived on time as asked and once they checked our boarding pass were waved through

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Bill Y said:

This problem with long queues queuing outside the terminal, is this just for the mega monsters and just restricted to Ocean terminal?

In the past boarding at Mayflower has not been a problem although the largest ship we have embarked there is Arcadia.  We travel in four weeks time so have not yet received times. But I am aware that P&O are still stating:-

"Benefits at our home port Priority arrival time allocation You will be allocated an early arrival time of 1pm. Please note: your e-ticket may not reflect this. But rest assured, you’re welcome to arrive from 1pm and we’ll check you in as a priority"

What alarmed us was a report that there were none P&O employees outside the terminals refusing to honour priority boarding as mentioned above only the e-ticket time. I can no longer find this post, whether it’s been deleted for causing alarm and despondency I do not know, We will be embarking Ventura which we still regard as a big ship, Has anyone had experience of it at Mayflower since sailing resumed at full capacity?

There are no e-tickets anymore, you print off a boarding pass which will show priority boarding on it, if you are Caribbean or a above, or a suite passenger.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A new thread just opened up with an early arriving passenger for Britannia just sent away until his 3.30 time.  

They definitely seem to be being very strict at least with the three bigger ships.

As an aside Cunard have just told me much the same for QM2 on Tuesday but I have priority boarding so not worried for that.  I wonder if Carnival UK have a tighter contract with the shore staff now due to possible staff shortages still occurring.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Thanks 2

On 4/29/2023 at 11:18 AM, solentsam said:

we boarded at Mayflower 16th April on Britannia, and yes the early arrivals were ask to wait outside in a queue. We arrived on time as asked and once they checked our boarding pass were waved through

Same for us. I honestly don’t know why people arrive before their allocated time! What’s the big rush? 

19 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

I honestly don’t know why people arrive before their allocated time!

There are several legitimate reasons.

• Those who are travelling on the day by car and have a four/five (or more) hour journey cannot plan to arrive at a specific time as they have to allow for delays.
  • Those who have to be out of their hotel by 11:00.
  • Those who are travelling by train when the train arrives before their allotted arrival time.
  • Even those arriving by coach can arrive before their allotted time.

As I have said elsewhere if P&O allowed passengers to select their time much of this could be alleviated.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, david63 said:

• Those who are travelling on the day by car and have a four/five (or more) hour journey cannot plan to arrive at a specific time as they have to allow for delays.
  • Those who are travelling by train when the train arrives before their allotted arrival time.

As I have said elsewhere if P&O allowed passengers to select their time much of this could be alleviated.

We always have to leave our hotel by 11 but see no reason to drive straight to the terminal! We spent a leisurely few hours on Shirley High Street. Even if you’re driving down on the day, you can stop somewhere for an hour or so. 

All I’m saying is, don’t then complain if you have to wait in a queue. 

10 minutes ago, david63 said:

Even though we have priority boarding so don’t have these issues, I completely agree with you on all points. It’s not unreasonable to expect to have (an albeit late) lunch on the ship after travelling, rather than having to make a stop somewhere else (at extra cost and inconvenience) just because P&O can’t seem to manage their embarkation in the same efficient way that some other cruise operators do. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, david63 said:

Absolutely!

The one and only time we did the journey to Southampton in a day (from SW Lancashire) we were in Southampton McDonalds killing time from 10 am!  Fortunately this was 2021, when all ships were sailing less than half full, and not with P&O, so we boarded as soon as we arrived at the ship.

Every other time (and we have been frequent cruisers of late) we do an overnight at a Premier Inn with a check out time of noon, and yes, we could plan to be elsewhere - we have been to the NT venue at Mottisfont, and Peppa Pig World doesn’t appeal much - then you have the issue of leaving the car unattended with luggage, iPads etc, which we are not keen to do.

We next have a boarding time of 3.30 to 4 pm and all suggestions would be gratefully received, or it’s back to Mottisfont again 🙄

• Like 2

I can’t remember having radically earlier check in times when sailing with other lines - Cunard, NCL, RCI, FO, Carnival etc. 

I can understand wanting to embark as soon as possible if on a mini cruise but don’t quite understand the rush unless people are anxious about booking speciality restaurants etc. Hotels generally don’t allow early check in, so why expect cruises to be different? We can always find something to do for a few hours - Ikea being one idea!