Bacon?

sassy~one

15 hours ago, sassy~one said:

Is bacon still one day on, one day off? Thanks.

Yes and it will be forever I am sure. In the buffet at least.

Even on the days they serve it, you feel like you're asking to borrow Mom's Tupperware when you ask for some.

• Haha 6

7 hours ago, Oakman58 said:

In the buffet yes, but as staceyglow posted, you can order bacon everyday if you have breakfast in the main dining room.

Yeah, but on port days the MDR closes at something like 9am. We're retired - past wage slave hours and before nursing home hours - party late and sleep late, so can't make port day MDR breakfast.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, icft said:

Yeah, but on port days the MDR closes at something like 9am. We're retired - past wage slave hours and before nursing home hours - party late and sleep late, so can't make port day MDR breakfast.

Get a BLT from the Deli and have them hold everything except the B

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

15 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

Funny, how on RCCL ships, There's plenty of bacon for your self serving in both the Windjammer and Solarium Bistro.

I thought all cruise lines were going through a bacon shortage? 

Hmmm. Guess not   😃

16 hours ago, ray98 said:

Yes....Carnival is the only entity left who battles a 'bacon shortage'.

4 hours ago, FSHLOT said:

I thought all cruise lines were going through a bacon shortage? 

Hmmm. Guess not   😃

Bacon is available but at a price. It wouldn't surprise me at all to find out that Carnival is forgoing having bacon every day in order to help keep costs down. As one wag said back in the 70's "turns out they were right, there is a shortage of .99 gasoline. There is plenty of gasoline for 1.39 though."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Bacon is available but at a price. It wouldn't surprise me at all to find out that Carnival is forgoing having bacon every day in order to help keep costs down. As one wag said back in the 70's "turns out they were right, there is a shortage of .99 gasoline. There is plenty of gasoline for 1.39 though."

Pound of bacon is about $4 these days in my area, I think that's pretty close to where it was back when Carnival served it every day in the buffet in the times of plenty.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Pound of bacon is about $4 these days in my area, I think that's pretty close to where it was back when Carnival served it every day in the buffet in the times of plenty.

Sure, for a household. How much are they paying and how available is it for feeding tens of thousands each and every day of each and every week? I don't know, but as I said it wouldn't surprise me to find out that they are limiting bacon to once a day to help keep expenses down (and that in and of itself won't significantly affect the bottom line of course, but with other such measures it will add up).

(Some made up numbers- let's say they serve 1000 pounds of bacon per day at $4 per pound. That's $4000. If they serve it every day that's $1,460,000 per year. Serve it every other day it's $730,000. For one ship. Extrapolated over the fleet we aren't talking chump change.)

Edited by sparks1093

2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Sure, for a household. How much are they paying and how available is it for feeding tens of thousands each and every day of each and every week? I don't know, but as I said it wouldn't surprise me to find out that they are limiting bacon to once a day to help keep expenses down (and that in and of itself won't significantly affect the bottom line of course, but with other such measures it will add up).

(Some made up numbers- let's say they serve 1000 pounds of bacon per day at $4 per pound. That's $4000. If they serve it every day that's $1,460,000 per year. Serve it every other day it's $730,000. For one ship. Extrapolated over the fleet we aren't talking chump change.)

The other side of that is they have tens of thousands of paying customers funding the cost, this isn't charity on the part of Carnival.  Lets not pretend this is some rare delicacy, it is likely the most popular breakfast meat in America that every other competitor has figured out a way to 'afford' just like they always have.

Edited by ray98
  • Like 6

36 minutes ago, ray98 said:

The other side of that is they have tens of thousands of paying customers funding the cost, this isn't charity on the part of Carnival.  Lets not pretend this is some rare delicacy, it is likely the most popular breakfast meat in America that every other competitor has figured out a way to 'afford' just like they always have.

Yes, Carnival made a decision that differs from what their competitors chose to do. Their bean counters (bacon counters?) have much more data than anyone on this board has, so I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, even if no one else is.

4 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Yes, Carnival made a decision that differs from what their competitors chose to do. Their bean counters (bacon counters?) have much more data than anyone on this board has, so I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, even if no one else is.

They want their food costs as low as possible obviously. They saw the "bacon crisis" as a way to cut some protein out of their bill. Carnival's buffet is a shadow of its former self frankly and the bacon crisis is just one example.

2 hours ago, mz-s said:

Dang, wish it was that low around here in Central Florida.  It's typically $6 to $7 / lb here.

14 minutes ago, mz-s said:

They want their food costs as low as possible obviously. They saw the "bacon crisis" as a way to cut some protein out of their bill. Carnival's buffet is a shadow of its former self frankly and the bacon crisis is just one example.

They have to keep costs low or raise prices to account for the higher costs. I'm just off Glory and the buffet was just as I remember it being.

9 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Dang, wish it was that low around here in Central Florida.  It's typically $6 to $7 / lb here.

Florida is not a cheap place to live anymore, sadly...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ray98 said:

Hi

There really any "other side". Carnival offers a product and people make a choice in where to spend their money. There are many other things (we are talking food here, but it could be anything) that other cruise lines offer that Carnival doesn't, and there are things offered by Carnival that are not offered on other cruise lines.

Your money, your choice. If you try a product and don't like what you get, don't buy it again. These companies are all struggling to make money. They are all looking for ways to cut back on costs. Why would anyone think Carnival should be an exception?

This has always been the case, it would seem. I can certainly remember people commenting on cutbacks on this site for decades now.

26 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Thats not what Carnival pays, I promise you. 

But anyone who pitches a fit about not having bacon any time and anywhere they want is going to find plenty of other things wrong with their cruises. Carnival is picking its battles. 

1 hour ago, ray98 said:

Lets not pretend this is some rare delicacy, it is likely the most popular breakfast meat in America that every other competitor has figured out a way to 'afford' just like they always have.

Bacon is probably the most wasted breakfast meat on cruise ships and the reason Carnival went to bacon servers years ago.