Is Windjammer on Harmony jammed all the time?

Considering a Jan. 2024 cruise on Harmony from Galveston. Myself and DH, mid-60's. Largest ship we've been on so far is Liberty and Adventure (as well as Serenade), so Harmony's size gives me pause. Is the Windjammer totally packed all the time or because there are more places to eat, do the crowds level out somewhat?

We haven't done Harmony (yet! 15 days!) but our experience on Oasis was that the different venues scatter the crowd somewhat. I was very skeptical of Oasis and we booked because my husband needed to go, but that class does an outstanding job of managing the high capacity. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Kellie in Texas said:

Considering a Jan. 2024 cruise on Harmony from Galveston. Myself and DH, mid-60's. Largest ship we've been on so far is Liberty and Adventure (as well as Serenade), so Harmony's size gives me pause. Is the Windjammer totally packed all the time or because there are more places to eat, do the crowds level out somewhat?

We haven't been on Harmony either.  But, we are on the same cruise as you, at least a Jan 2024 cruise.  I think it is just like other Oasis Class ships, I've been on 3, it's all a matter of timing.  I would not consider going to the WJ on embarkation afternoon.  Park Cafe or Solarium are probably better choices.  Other than that, the WJ can be very busy at times that I would expect it to be.  Like just before getting off at ports of call.  People want to have their breakfast before departing the ship.  I would be there at opening time, and that's not a guarantee.  It's really hit-and-miss for the most part.  Except for embarkation lunchtime, it's going to be packed, unless you are one of the first to get on the ship and go directly to the WJ.  There are plenty of other included options to choose from if the WJ is packed.  I've been in the WJ when it has been packed and when it was almost empty.  I find being there at the opening for breakfast is USUALLY safe other meals, as I said, hit-and-miss.  A lot of people eat at specialty restaurants and the MDR for dinner which helps alleviate the crowds at the WJ.  Just enjoy, there are lots of options.

image.thumb.png.aacb0350c7ad8b92a24f05b75a4cea59.png

Edited by Ret MP
  • Like 1

No, not always. I enjoy the WJ and go there quite often when I cruise.

Even on embarkation day, when everyone will tell you to stay away, if you are one of the first people in, it's not very crowded. I have a running joke about taking a scoop of untouched paella that most ships seem to have on embarkation day lunch but it's not really a joke as I've managed it on my last 4 cruises going back to last May (which happened to be Harmony).

For breakfast, it's not that bad early in the morning (we're very early risers). As time goes on, especially on port days as people are trying to eat and get off the ship, it gets crowded.

Lunch isn't too bad, like a restaurant on land, if you go right when it opens or wait until the peak passes, it will be less crowded.

Dinner is quite peaceful there in my experience.

As for comparing classes, yes, I do think the additional options on Oasis class ships help keep the WJ less crowded. Of all things, don't let fear of a crowded WJ keep you from trying Harmony!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Kellie in Texas said:

The Windjammer is about equal to other ships. It will be crowded at peak times.

The alternate is Solarium Bistro, a smaller buffet but good for us. Usually not crowded. 

We like the Park Café in Central Park. Light food for a quick bite. 

For breakfast, only, we'll go for the complimentary breakfast at Jonny Rockets on the Boardwalk. We like sitting out and watching the ship wake up and a light breakfast. 

• Like 2

Overall Windjammer on Oasis class does not function as well as it does on other class ships. With over 20+ Oasis class sailings under my belt that is a venue I try to avoid. They have now redesigned Windjammer for Wonder of the Seas to add more space but I haven't yet sailed Wonder so can't comment much on it. Like mentioned there are many other options on Oasis class so I would agree with....don't let the fear of a crowded Windjammer sway you from going on Harmony. In comparison they did a very good job on Windjammer on Odyssey.

Edited by bajathree
  • Like 2

We usually scout for a table first and then one of us sits down while the other forages for food on embarkment day . My wife goes first as she eats slowly and then tries to find me . I go for my food after and that seems to work for us.

Other days its not so bad . 

• Like 2

We've been on Harmony twice as soon as last April and we ate all our meals in the WJ. One of our favorites. Lot's of seating. We especially liked sitting towards the aft with a view and Harmony has serving stations that are spread out nicely.

I actually think that the WJ is an excellent location with a great view.  Unfortunately, it is hit with the stigma of being a buffet, which it is but as far as most land-based buffets are concerned, I think of much better quality.  But, I'm no buffet connoisseur.   

Besides the WJ where else on Harmony can you eat (for free)?  I know about Park Cafe on deck 8, but where is Solarium Bistro?  Johnny Rockets is pay except for breakfast, correct?  Are there any other free little places?  Isn't there a dog house and Sorrento's somewhere that's free?  What else am I missing?

2 hours ago, Katems75 said:

Besides the WJ where else on Harmony can you eat (for free)?  I know about Park Cafe on deck 8, but where is Solarium Bistro?  Johnny Rockets is pay except for breakfast, correct?  Are there any other free little places?  Isn't there a dog house and Sorrento's somewhere that's free?  What else am I missing?

Solarium Bistro on deck #15....Mini Bites. Yes JR's for breakfast. Dog House, Sorrento's & Cafe Promenade.

7 hours ago, Katems75 said:

Plus MDR for breakfast and dinner every day and lunch on sea days. 
m

• Like 1

The trough is busy during cattle-call hours.  Getting there early (particularly breakfast) can be a much more pleasant experience.

The amount of people at a given time doesn't seem to be as big of a threat as keeping from getting trampled by those who believe this may be their last meal.

• Haha 2

Well, we did it. Cruise booked for Jan. 2024, spacious balcony on deck 11. We've been to these ports several times and may not even get off the ship, so we will enjoy exploring all the features while everybody else is lining up to get to their excursions. 😄

• Like 4

On 4/29/2023 at 6:47 AM, bucfan2 said:

The trough is busy during cattle-call hours.  Getting there early (particularly breakfast) can be a much more pleasant experience.

The amount of people at a given time doesn't seem to be as big of a threat as keeping from getting trampled by those who believe this may be their last meal.

Ain't that the truth!  It's unbelievable how some people 1.  will trample over you to get to the steam table to get the overabundance of whatever 2. load up their plate to the point of food hanging over the plate and stacked up several inches high as if there is no return.  I think some people would be much happier if there were no forks or spoons, just entrenching tools.  

New U.S. Military Surplus Entrenching Tool - 292058, Entrenching Tools ...

• Haha 1