Unused wine in the wine package

rodndonna

If we order a wine package (say 4 bottles) but  only drink 3 during our cruise, what happens with the last unopened bottle? I "thought" i read ages ago, they would prorate the cost and credit back if it was unopened, is tat correct? Do they deliver it to our room before disembarkation?

On the website it says you can take it home with you - but of course you will have an issue if you are flying immediately - you'll have to pack it in checked luggage 

• Thanks 1

You can have it sent to your room at any time.  (You can send as many bottles in your package to your cabin as you like)

Send it to your room if you are sure you don’t need it and invite some friends over for drinks 🙂 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, kazu said:

You can have it sent to your room at any time.  (You can send as many bottles in your package to your cabin as you like)

Send it to your room if you are sure you don’t need it and invite some friends over for drinks 🙂 

We're in an inside category "N" on the  Zaandam (looks like 4 rooms in the nose of the ship on the 1st floor past medical), not sure that is much of an offer to "friends" - haha.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, rodndonna said:

We're in an inside category "N" on the  Zaandam (looks like 4 rooms in the nose of the ship on the 1st floor past medical), not sure that is much of an offer to "friends" - haha.

You can always take it to their place (cabin) if it’s bigger or if they have a balcony 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I gave one bottle of wine to a CC friend/trivia team member who was staying onboard for the following segment.  That alleviated the flying issue as we were in Europe at the time.  I didn’t want to take that chance with a bottle of red wine!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, rodndonna said:

what happens with the last unopened bottle?

We are wine package patrons and we have never had such an issue......I'd suggest you try very hard to drink it onboard!

We do the math and enjoy it at a pace that the last drop is poured on the last evening or sometimes the horror of wine giving out before the last night.....but as others have said, take it back to the cabin or give it away.

Enjoy the wine package.....We do!

• Like 1

The more responses I read on here - the more I think "I don't need to buy any wine, I just find the right people to hang with" - 😃

Edited by rodndonna
correction
  • Like 3
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, DaveOKC said:

Or just take (open) it at dinner and offer everyone there a glass!

That's what I did when I had a bottle left. I ordered the fizz (prosecco, probably) that was in my  package so that my table could have a goodbye toast. 

• Like 2

On our last cruise, we discovered you can order and drink from your wine package in the bars.  So we shared several bottles with friends before dinner.  Very nice when you want something other than what is available by the glass.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Alberta Quilter said:

I gave one bottle of wine to a CC friend/trivia team member who was staying onboard for the following segment.  That alleviated the flying issue as we were in Europe at the time.  I didn’t want to take that chance with a bottle of red wine!

We used to fly to the States from Australia with multiple bottles of wine in our checked luggage.  We just wrapped them in socks and underwear to prevent breakage.  We only had a bottle break once, but, of course, it was red wine wrapped in white socks.

While I think a leftover bottle would be an insult to Bacchus, I'd be inclined to gift it to someone who was continuing on the ship. Pick someone whom you met and give it to them. It teaches the value of befriending others. (The value of which is, apparently, 750 ml of mid-priced wine.)

• Haha 1

When packing a bottle of wine in a suitcase, is there any thought given to the mess it would make if broken, not only to your own luggage, but any luggage unfortunate enough to be near by? 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, badtwin said:

On our last cruise, we discovered you can order and drink from your wine package in the bars.  So we shared several bottles with friends before dinner.  Very nice when you want something other than what is available by the glass.

How long ago was that please?  While we could do it in the past - it was my understanding that now the wine package can only be enjoyed in your cabin or the restaurants ?   Or so I was advised on board.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kazu said:

How long ago was that please?  While we could do it in the past - it was my understanding that now the wine package can only be enjoyed in your cabin or the restaurants ?   Or so I was advised on board.

That’s very interesting to hear… thanks for that alert, because we have called up a bottle of our wine to enjoy in the Ocean Bar during a local Spanish guitarist’s performance. That was pre-pandemic. Curious what others have experienced lately. 

6 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

That’s very interesting to hear… thanks for that alert, because we have called up a bottle of our wine to enjoy in the Ocean Bar during a local Spanish guitarist’s performance. That was pre-pandemic. Curious what others have experienced lately. 

Badtwin had no difficulty in February so perhaps I was misinformed?  Or another ship inconsistency?  I did decide not to order a package after I was told that.  

5 minutes ago, badtwin said:

we were allowed to do this on the Nieuw Statendam in February of this year.

Thanks very much.  Perhaps the staff member who told me that knew not of what they spoke?  I was on a different ship.

5 hours ago, kazu said:

We just got off the Zaandam last week and enjoyed one bottle from our package in the Crows Nest. The bartender even provided a ice bucket. We also took our partial bottle from the Canaletto to the Lido the next day at lunch and a waiter arrived right away with wine glasses.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, catlet said:

We just got off the Zaandam last week and enjoyed one bottle from our package in the Crows Nest. The bartender even provided a ice bucket. We also took our partial bottle from the Canaletto to the Lido the next day at lunch and a waiter arrived right away with wine glasses.

So do they not store it.?. We've only bought bottles once on another line years ago, and they would take it away at the end of the meal and we would then just ask for it the next day (or whenever).

Are you saying after dinner (assuming the bottle is not empty) we can chose to have it stored or, just take it with us to drink elsewhere on the ship. I guess I am not sure how they know whether the bottle I am strolling into the Lido  or bar with had the corkage fee already paid. Maybe it is just honour system?

3 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

So do they not store it.?. We've only bought bottles once on another line years ago, and they would take it away at the end of the meal and we would then just ask for it the next day (or whenever).

Are you saying after dinner (assuming the bottle is not empty) we can chose to have it stored or, just take it with us to drink elsewhere on the ship. I guess I am not sure how they know whether the bottle I am strolling into the Lido  or bar with had the corkage fee already paid. Maybe it is just honour system?

Yes, we stored any bottles opened in the main diningroom. We had opened a new bottle in Canaletto and they asked if we wanted to take the remaining wine so took the bottle back to our cabin. The next day we carried the open bottle up to the Lido and as mentioned as soon as we sat at a table a waiter arrived with wine glasses. Not sure how they know, but we were not questioned. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

Yes, you can leave it or take it or have it delivered to another bar.  They put your room number on the bottle and it can be retrieved by any bar.    If you want you can buy one of your bottles in the MDR and another to be kept at your favorite bar. All kinds of options. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1