Princess seems to be back

Guest ldtr

Guest ldtr

We have all seen areas lacking compared to pre covid during the restart.

On my last 3 cruises things seem to be pretty much back to pre covid days. The ships have been fully staffed.  Cabin stewards doing twice a day serice efficiently. All dining rooms and all areas of the buffets open. Food in the mdr back with the strange substitutions gone. Good variety in buffet.  Entertainment plentiful with visiting acts being of good quality. Far fewer issues with ship board charges error.The medallion  App having far fewer problems.

These cruises have been on Royal class ships.

My cruises on Grand class ships were earlier in the restart when both staffing and occupancy were limited, so I cannot comment on how they are doing.

Certainly there are some permanent changes and there have been a few hiccups on some ships such as the recent electrical problem on the Grand.

But in general from what I have seen Princess is getting very close to what we expected pre covid. Certainly the number of complaint posts here on CC seem to have dropped considerably over the past few months.

How have your experiences on recent cruises been?

Edited by ldtr

27 minutes ago, ldtr said:

We have all seen areas lacking compared to pre covid during the restart.

On my last 3 cruises things seem to be pretty much back to pre covid days. The ships have been fully staffed.  Cabin stewards doing twice a day serice efficiently. All dining rooms and all areas of the buffets open. Food in the mdr back with the strange substitutions gone. Good variety in buffet.  Entertainment plentiful with visiting acts being of good quality. Far fewer issues with ship board charges error.The medallion  App having far fewer problems.

These cruises have been on Royal class ships.

My cruises on Grand class ships were earlier in the restart when both staffing and occupancy were limited, so I cannot comment on how they are doing.

Certainly there are some permanent changes and there have been a few hiccups on some ships such as the recent electrical problem on the Grand.

But in general from what I have seen Princess is getting very close to what we expected pre covid. Certainly the number of complaint posts here on CC seem to have dropped considerably over the past few months.

How have your experiences on recent cruises been?

To answer your last question first, my recent experience on the Ruby last month was great.  Thank you for asking.

I agree that Princess right now is as good as it's going to get until the next pandemic.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Guest ldtr
1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

They're back alright, with price increases to boot and elimination of some perks along with a reduction in food quality. 

I disagree about the food quality. The menu pretty much the same as pre covid. The actual recipes seem to be back to pre covid. For example lobster is now back to what it was several years ago with vegetables, instead of lobster on the horrid green risotto.

Prices are up, same as everywhere else. 

For all people run around acting like chicken little when it comes to benefits. The benefits are mostly the same as in 2019, except for the loyalty obc above 25 cruises and the ability to swap the minibar for coffee cards, the rest is unchanged.

Edited by ldtr

2 minutes ago, ldtr said:

The benefits are mostly the same as in 2019, except for the loyalty obc above 25 cruises and the ability to swap the minibar for coffee cards, the rest is unchanged.

The food on different ships can vary so that might explain the differences.

Yes, I was eluding to the removal of the Loyalty OBC and the coffee trade in, and don't forget the elimination of the free internet credit minutes. 

• Like 3

Guest ldtr
58 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

The food on different ships can vary so that might explain the differences.

Yes, I was eluding to the removal of the Loyalty OBC and the coffee trade in, and don't forget the elimination of the free internet credit minutes. 

The minutes  were gone well  before 2019. Though the discount and the rebate for excursions that was the norm in 2019 is still there.

3 minutes ago, ldtr said:

The minutes  were gone well  before 2019. Though the discount and the rebate for excursions that was the norm in 2019 is still there.

Also, I think I've read posts that mentioned the 10% Elite discount is no longer applied if an item was put on sale. I swear I though that in the past it was applied no matter what the price was.

• Like 2

On my upcoming Crown Princess cruise, only 2 dining room can be reserved. On my last cruise, they only used 2 dining rooms also.

I will let you know about food quality, it was lacking on my last cruise.

• Like 2

Guest ldtr
58 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Also, I think I've read posts that mentioned the 10% Elite discount is no longer applied if an item was put on sale. I swear I though that in the past it was applied no matter what the price was.

the discount I referred to is the excursion rebate that was added in when the change to internet minutes occured well before 2019.

I have not had any problem with the retail discount.

4 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Yes, that happened at the end of February in 2022.  I know because I did get the 10% off sale merchandise on the last day of our cruise on the Regal and was told to enjoy it because the policy was changing the next day.  And reports here on CC confirmed that indeed it did change.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Coral said:

Especially when on of the main course items is broiled chicken and nothing else was appealing. 

Edited by MissP22

Guest ldtr
59 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Especially when on of the main course items is broiled chicken. 

Are you entering to the always available chicken breast that has been on the menu for probably the last 10 years or so, or something else.

Just now, MissP22 said:

They're back alright, with price increases to boot and elimination of some perks along with a reduction in food quality. 

We are currently on the Sapphire. Spent 30 days on the Discovery in February/March. Quality is better across the board. Internet is upgraded to Starlink. MDR food and menu is better. Medallion works better. Room service is vastly improved. This has been one of the best cruises we have taken on a Princess ship.

• Like 18

Guest ldtr
1 hour ago, suekel said:

I've done 8 cruises since the pause.  Some have been wonderful in all regards...Sapphire, Discovery...and some not so much..  Royal.  Still enjoyed them all.  

The question is more how are thing on recent cruises, last 2-3 months?  We all know that earlier in the restart there were numerous issues with staffing supply chains, etc.

4 hours ago, ldtr said:

Are you entering to the always available chicken breast that has been on the menu for probably the last 10 years or so, or something else.

One night it was offered as one of the five main courses. 

4 hours ago, ldtr said:

I disagree about the food quality. The menu pretty much the same as pre covid. The actual recipes seem to be back to pre covid. For example lobster is now back to what it was several years ago with vegetables, instead of lobster on the horrid green risotto.

4 hours ago, Coral said:

What I would like to hear/read is if they have restored the quality of beef at least back to what it was pre-Covid.  IMO, the cuts of beef used, particularly in premium SD areas, is not at all up to what it was before.  Our experience on Regal was not good in terms of production quality either, but this was not the past 2-3 months and I may be perceiving and improvement.  In the same time period (Oct-Nov), the Island was far superior in food prep.  I put it down to exec chef and galley mgmt. 

• Like 1

Guest ldtr
1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

What I would like to hear/read is if they have restored the quality of beef at least back to what it was pre-Covid.  IMO, the cuts of beef used, particularly in premium SD areas, is not at all up to what it was before.  Our experience on Regal was not good in terms of production quality either, but this was not the past 2-3 months and I may be perceiving and improvement.  In the same time period (Oct-Nov), the Island was far superior in food prep.  I put it down to exec chef and galley mgmt. 

I cannot comment about steak quality since I tend not to eat it on cruise ships. More poultry, pork and sea food myself.

I may be in the minority but love the fact the portions are smaller .. and with the exception of the lobster tails they were serving right after the restart, the food has been exceptionally good.  I really love that I can order from the room service menu via my app now, whether I’m at the pool or in my room.  

Prices are up everywhere and on everything.  What used to cost me $60 in the grocery store is now up over $100.  And the gas to get there is also pricier now, too.  

No real complaints from me .. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Apparently I traded Loyalty OBC, coffee card, and internet minutes for the vegan menu and some of the absolute best quesadillas I've had ANYWHERE!! And Cali-Mex food is all over the place here. Seems like they got some of the best food trucks to share that recipe plus some other vegetarian Mexican food recipes with them. NOT SPICY (i requested not spicy) but chocked full of flavor. Off menu food variety (for those who have to preorder due to allergy) is SO much better 

Handing out OBC more freely now

I get tokens to do my own laundry -- no more broiled / bleached disasters

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I wouldn't say we got "back" the old Princess, but they are standing their ground given their financial predicament.  Like any other company, they have to provide their services and balance their books concurrently or face bankruptcy (ahem, Crystal Cruises); therefore, I think some of the cuts are justified.  Hopefully, when their financials recover, we will get back the old Princess or something even better.

Edited by SCX22
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Apparently I traded Loyalty OBC, coffee card, and internet minutes for the vegan menu and some of the absolute best quesadillas I've had ANYWHERE!! And Cali-Mex food is all over the place here. Seems like they got some of the best food trucks to share that recipe plus some other vegetarian Mexican food recipes with them. NOT SPICY (i requested not spicy) but chocked full of flavor. Off menu food variety (for those who have to preorder due to allergy) is SO much better 

Handing out OBC more freely now

I get tokens to do my own laundry -- no more broiled / bleached disasters

Food trucks?