Question regarding hook magnets

Checked luggage is best.

Any magnets inside your carry-on will cause additional screening (they will open your carry-on, causing further delay) at TSA security checkpoint.

• The one time I packed them in my carry-on (almost forgot them and didn't want to open up the bags again....), my carry on was pulled aside and inspected.  So, throw them in your checked bag.

We did checked as I didn't want those stinkers to mess with any credit cards in my wallet and carry-on bag. I don't really know if this is a thing, not stating it's true, but it was my concern. 

I keep a couple in my carry on, but the bulk goes into the checked bag (due to weight).  

Have been stopped only once, but not by TSA.   It was the port security.  A combo of two little hook magnets, and a couple of little gold bar magnets.  😉    They inspected them and let me carry on.  

Edited by island lady

I bought a set from Amazon stating that they hold up to 27lbs but they just slid right down any metal surface with the slightest bit of weight.  Do the walls on the cabins provide more friction so they will actually work?  I returned them because I thought they were junk but since I see a photo I'm rethinking the situation...

23 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

Checked luggage is best.

Any magnets inside your carry-on will cause additional screening (they will open your carry-on, causing further delay) at TSA security checkpoint.

That's not been my experience. Not that that wasn't yours.  I've had a dozen hooks in one of my carry-ons and a Drone with 5 batteries in another.  The Hooks and batteries were not an issue in the terminal or at TSA, they never even looked at them.  The only one issue was the Drone in the terminal at Seattle.  One not-so-smart checker told me that Drones weren't allowed on the ship.  Wrong, but that is a whole other story.  I've got great aerial photography of the Mendenhall Glacier and Nugget Falls.   

4 hours ago, maggie416 said:

Thanks everyone. I was hoping checked luggage would be ok, not flying, straight to terminal from home

One more thing to consider.  Sometimes your checked luggage doesn't show up for hours after your cabin is available.  So, even if they do subject your carry-on to additional screening  (and how long does that take?), you'd have them in the cabin when you first enter and you can then start setting up the room the way you want it.  Or, you can wait for them to show up.  JMHO

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, tropiclvrs said:

I bought a set from Amazon stating that they hold up to 27lbs but they just slid right down any metal surface with the slightest bit of weight.  Do the walls on the cabins provide more friction so they will actually work?  I returned them because I thought they were junk but since I see a photo I'm rethinking the situation...

Some of the newer ships have too much rough surface wallpaper on the walls.  I have had a problem with those as well.  The ceiling, however, is always a good bet.  Try sliding your magnets around on the walls, sometimes some areas are more magnetic than others.  The door is always another good choice.  

I put mine in checked luggage. A good tip is to hang them from the ceiling if you want them to hold more weight. They're more limited in what they can handle if you hang them on the wall. Here's our cabin on a recent cruise and one of the magnets  on the ceiling. I was able to put several purses on it. My son (the creature on the bed) could even hang his full backpack from one on the ceiling.

Screenshot 2023-05-18 at 7.16.25 PM.png

Edited by njsmom

18 minutes ago, island lady said:

Always comes in handy during hand wash laundry day.  😉 

20220326_090856.jpg

Can you share what magnets you are using?  And do you bring your own hangers?  We are sailing our first b2b this summer and may have to do some laundry!

10 minutes ago, bayportkat said:

Can you share what magnets you are using?  And do you bring your own hangers?  We are sailing our first b2b this summer and may have to do some laundry!

I know that you didn't ask me.  But, I find these have a lot of flexibility and the price is right:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QSJ6Q72/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1 

• Like 2