Multiple minors traveling with one adult. Required to have passports?

flutprop

I am traveling with my 15yo son and his 15yo girlfriend in June. We booked the (closed-loop) Princess cruise to the Caribbean about a week prior to final payment. My son and I have passports, but his girlfriend does not. I had told the mother that she would only need her original birth certificate, which they had.  When I signed into the Medallion app to complete all the documentation in April, I got a pop-up that because there was only one adult with multiple minors, all passengers would be required to have passports. 

I understand the reasoning for this. The family has been trying to get a passport and was told it would take a few months. The most recent conversation they had with the passport processing center was they could get an appointment for a same day passport, but it could be at any location in the US. The current appointment offered was Hawaii!

So both parents will be coming to check in with me with only the birth certificate and hope she can get on the ship. I really hope the kids will not be disappointed.  Does anyone have any experience with this?

• Like 1

Did you check the Princess FAQ on passports which is completely clear and explicit.  

"Domestic itineraries

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) governs acceptable travel documents for entry into the U.S. by sea from Bermuda, Canada, the Caribbean, Hawaii, Mexico or within the United States. We highly recommend a passport. We also require a passport for all guests in a travel party when minors are traveling with only one adult (21 years and older).† However, for U.S. and Canadian citizens/nationals on select itineraries a passport is not always required. In lieu of a passport book, these individuals must present one of the following valid WHTI-compliant travel documents at cruise check-in:

• U.S. Passport Card
  • U.S. or Canadian Issued Enhanced Driver's License (EDL) (A REAL ID is not the same and doesn’t fulfill this requirement.)
  • U.S. or Canadian Issued Identification Card (issued to minors and non-drivers)
  • NEXUS Card Air travel is limited to participating airports (for entry to Canada)
  • SENTRI (for entry to Mexico) and FAST cards
  • I-872 American Indian Card or Enhanced Tribal ID Card (ETC)
  •  

We have implemented this requirement because we want to ensure that your party remains together should an emergency arise that requires one or more members to be disembarked in a non-U.S. port. We cannot guarantee that all members of your party will be allowed to disembark with just a WHTI-compliant document or birth certificate. Failure to present a valid passport for all guests traveling together will result in denial of boarding without refund of the cruise or cruisetour fare"

I have highlighted in yellow the rule and the reason for the rule.  I very seriously doubt that there will be ANY exceptions and the reason for the rule is clear.

DON

OP, you should also check the US State Dept website about a form when a minor is not traveling with both parents.

Princess may separately also have their own form.

This should be something where the parent not traveling with the minor (in this case, both of them) signs the form >> and has it notarized, to document that the minor has permission to travel with the other adult.

This is partly to avoid trafficking, but in the US, it is important to help prevent non-custodial parents taking the child out of the country without the permission of the custodial parent.  When a "friend", e.g., you, takes the child out of the country, your name wouldn't match either name on the minor's birth certificate; hence, the notarized statement.  If legal guardianship is involved, then that document should be available.  Will all of this be required?  But IF it is and you don't have the proper documentation, the minor may not be allowed to leave the country/board the ship.

And IF Princess has separate requirements about passports being *required*, then that would be necessary, too.

From what donaldsc posted above, it seems that Princess does have this requirement.

GC

• Like 4

@flutprop

Minor Travel Consent form: minor_travel_consent_form.pdf (us-passport-service-guide.com)

You should also have a Consent to Medical Treatment by a Non-Parent form too just in case she needs medical care. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, StollyBolly said:

I know a passport can be put on a rush if proof of travel is provided.  Have you tried this? 

They have. They were told they could only get an appointment for Hawaii. They live in Florida. So both parents and the girl would have to fly to Hawaii for an appointment. Not going to happen.  14 days prior to sailing is Saturday, so going to try calling then. I don't know the parents work schedules and whether they all have a weekday off to do this. 

The kids may end up staying home and I get a vacation alone. Time will tell.

7 minutes ago, capriccio said:

You have probably seen this current thread, but if not you might want to share it with her parents:

Thanks, yes, I saw that. I did a search to see what recent posts there were on the subject. That person seems to only live a few hours south of DC from their profile. If the parents could get an appointment in Miami office, or even better, something in Orlando, it would be do-able. Flying to get a passport is unlikely to happen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flutprop said:

Thanks, yes, I saw that. I did a search to see what recent posts there were on the subject. That person seems to only live a few hours south of DC from their profile. If the parents could get an appointment in Miami office, or even better, something in Orlando, it would be do-able. Flying to get a passport is unlikely to happen.

I hope they can get a convenient appointment!

ASk the parents to go on the Rush my passport website.  They are an expediter.  They go whereever is necessary to get the passport processed.  You pay more than for just the passport, but you get a passport in short order.  I have used this service multiple times and highly recommend

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CruisinChris said:

ASk the parents to go on the Rush my passport website.  They are an expediter.  They go whereever is necessary to get the passport processed.  You pay more than for just the passport, but you get a passport in short order.  I have used this service multiple times and highly recommend

I second this suggestion.  My employer needed to expedite a visa for India for me a number of years back.  They used CIBT - Visa and Passport Professionals.  www.cibt.com  (800) 929-2428

It was not cheap but definitely less than a flight to Hawaii 😉

Some more information from their website.  It looks like the phone number has changed.

image.thumb.png.d829209ba0dab1a1e0107eae865ec5ec.png

Edited by msmoger
Added additional information
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, flutprop said:

So both parents will be coming to check in with me with only the birth certificate and hope she can get on the ship. I really hope the kids will not be disappointed.  Does anyone have any experience with this?

The parents will not be able to check her in. She has to have a passport. It would be very sad for her to get there only to be turned away. As others have stated, try to get the expedited passport. 

• Like 1

FWIW, I traveled with my own two minor children with passport cards and it was a small hassle.  Princess said they needed to take extra steps in case we were separated in another country (Mexico).  I can only imagine it would be more difficult to travel with an unrelated minor.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, flutprop said:

I am traveling with my 15yo son and his 15yo girlfriend in June. We booked the (closed-loop) Princess cruise to the Caribbean about a week prior to final payment. My son and I have passports, but his girlfriend does not. I had told the mother that she would only need her original birth certificate, which they had.  When I signed into the Medallion app to complete all the documentation in April, I got a pop-up that because there was only one adult with multiple minors, all passengers would be required to have passports. 

I have never tried to board a ship without the required travel documents but I’d expect that she will not be allowed to board. Either she will need a passport or another adult will have to join your party. Unless the parents are boarding with her, having them there won’t make a difference.

How stressful for all of you. If the worst happens & you have to travel alone do you have insurance for the cruise, or will you lose money paid for the kids' cruises?!

28 minutes ago, 1965 said:

How stressful for all of you. If the worst happens & you have to travel alone do you have insurance for the cruise, or will you lose money paid for the kids' cruises?!

Insurance does not cover not having the proper documentation.  EM

35 minutes ago, 1965 said:

The son appears to have a passport it is the friend that doesn’t. They would not necessarily have travel alone. 

13 hours ago, flutprop said:

I just looked up the State Department's nearest (only) office in Florida.  It is in Miami (https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/get-fast/passport-agencies/miami.html).

The website also has a section on Courier and Expeditor Companies and what they can and cannot provide.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/get-fast/courier-and-expeditor-companies.html

• Like 2

We have the Platinum Plan, so could use the cancel for any reason if my son decided to not cruise with me. I actually booked an offer of 3&4th sail free, so the girlfriend was free and I got $150 OBC for her.

Thank you for the referrals. I will pass them along. And I will report back what happens

There is a good reason for that rule.  While you may be able to get onto a ship  and then return back to the US w/o a passport, you can not fly back to the US w/o one.  What if the kid w the passport has a medical emergency and has to fly back to the US w you.  The kid w/o the passport will not be allowed to get onto the plane w you and you can not leave a minor child alone in a foreign port. Also what the sole adult (you) has a medical emergency.  The same problem occurs.  

What will happen probably is that none of you will b e allowed to board the ship.

DON

• Like 2

23 hours ago, flutprop said:

I understand the reasoning for this. The family has been trying to get a passport and was told it would take a few months. The most recent conversation they had with the passport processing center was they could get an appointment for a same day passport, but it could be at any location in the US. The current appointment offered was Hawaii!

This may sound kind of strange.  Assuming the parents reside in the same congressional district,  I suggest they contact Mark Desaulnier's office.   They claim they can help expedite passport requests.  

I do hope her parents wait at the port with GF.  I would hate to see her left at the terminal as you and your son sail away.  

Good to know that she was third for free.  I would call and see if you can cancel her out of your booking before Embarkation.

54 minutes ago, ldubs said:

This may sound kind of strange.  Assuming the parents reside in the same congressional district,  I suggest they contact Mark Desaulnier's office.   They claim they can help expedite passport requests.  

They moved to Florida last summer. So no longer in his district.

The parents will be driving all of us down to FLL from Orlando. I can't imagine forcing my son to sail without the GF if she is turned away. He would not be good company for the week.