New Suite Deposits Effective June 1, 2023

Just now, Ourusualbeach said:

I trust my contacts.  This was not a phone rep.

Thanks for confirming!  

I don't see them winning anyone over with less flexibility when other lines still allow more flexibility until closer to final payment.  Even a FCC with an expiration would be more enticing than totally losing deposits.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

I don't see them winning anyone over with less flexibility when other lines still allow more flexibility until closer to final payment. 

Exactly! Princess and NCL still offer refundable deposits and VV will at least allow you to transfer to another cruise if you cancel. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

The option will eventually not exist for any reservations.

Isn't that already the policy for UK bookings, maybe some other countries too?  I can see them going there and just saying you have to options after booking - cruise or lose the deposit.

8 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

Thanks for confirming!  

I don't see them winning anyone over with less flexibility when other lines still allow more flexibility until closer to final payment.  Even a FCC with an expiration would be more enticing than totally losing deposits.  

The problem is that despite the $100pp change fee there are still a large number of people who continue to hold multiple bookings with no intention of taking them.  Yes it is a big problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

Exactly! Princess and NCL still offer refundable deposits and VV will at least allow you to transfer to another cruise if you cancel. 

I don't have an issue with 10% of the fair (though with my upcoming bookings early I still would have only paid the normal deposit since they won't let you pay less than that.  I haven't been tempted yet by Virgin but do think their policy, even with their 20% deposit requirement, makes more sense.  Life happens, these days with adult kids and aging parents, faster than we expect, and I appreciate some flexibility.  I get that insurance gets me that flexibility for the most part, but it will be interesting to see how it all plays out.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RosieRoo said:

Agreed. Just came off the Liberty in a GS. Pricing was not much less than an Oasis class sailing and the benefits don’t compare. No free internet and breakfast only in Chops, to name a few. There’s a huge difference in benefits between classes of ships. 

I can understand having some limited benefits based on ship class, since not all ships have a CK. But free internet and Chops breakfast can be done on any ship, so they’re unnecessary restrictions. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I just had clarification on the non refundable deposits.

The entire deposit amount is now lost if you cancel or move a booking.  The option to change sail dates for a $100pp penalty no longer exists for suites.

What a motivator, eh!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

That seems pretty bush league to penalize your biggest spenders if they want to change their cruise. Cancel sure, but change?

I have said this all along. A cabin sold is a cabin sold. Why does it matter if you need to change the date or ship? I would be fine with non-refundable deposits as long as they came with some flexibility.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

I have said this all along. A cabin sold is a cabin sold. Why does it matter if you need to change the date or ship? I would be fine with non-refundable deposits as long as they came with some flexibility.

And we're hearing more and more reports of oversold cruises - I get this may be why, they're hedging their bets against empty cabins but even if they went back to more quick sales for last minute sailings, and I mean real bargains, I expect for most passengers who perceive a great deal to get on board will likely spend more on board.

2 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Unfortunately most people tend to leave the cancellations until last minute and Royal may not be able to command as high a price for that sailing as they may have had they had the cabin for sale at other times.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Unfortunately most people tend to leave the cancellations until last minute and Royal may not be able to command as high a price for that sailing as they may have had they had the cabin for sale at other times.

So if more and more people accept less risk and start booking close in how does  RCI manage that?

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

They are if you book early.  My 8-nighter GS for 3 on Adventure in June 2024 cost me $3200 total. Yet right now to book for 3 it'd cost over $10k

Everything on AD was cheap.  My aft balconies over Christmas were under $700 refundable. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShillyShally said:

True, He tends to know his stuff         and likely has better sources!  

You do realize hes a TA so of course his sources are better than us lay people. Hes talking to rcl directly not a phone rep with limited training. 

I'd love to splurge on a suite, but I'm moving  ... I want refundable only right now. ..but km following along. ...sounds like another way for rcl to keep your money.  ..keeps me from jumping on a suite. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

You do realize hes a TA so of course his sources are better than us lay people. Hes talking to rcl directly not a phone rep with limited training. 

I'd love to splurge on a suite, but I'm moving  ... I want refundable only right now. ..but km following along. ...sounds like another way for rcl to keep your money.  ..keeps me from jumping on a suite. 

I didn't actually, but that makes sense - good to know 🙂  Yeah, life is a little more variable these days with need to do over want to do so it's hard to tie up funds - I do have some tied up where I'd have to only eat the deposit if I cancelled but the pricing on those also makes them so I should be able to justify them budget wise - we shall see 🙂

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

The option will eventually not exist for any reservations. RCI may find that it is cutting its own throat if people just start waiting until close in to book anything.

They can control demand by holding back inventory. 

On 5/22/2023 at 10:04 AM, Ourusualbeach said:

Q. How will the 10% deposit amount be calculated? What happens if my client's booking has a discount applied to it –how will that be taken into account? A. The 10% deposit is calculated based on cruise fare after all applicable discounts and promotions have been applied.

12 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

I didn't actually, but that makes sense - good to know 🙂  Yeah, life is a little more variable these days with need to do over want to do so it's hard to tie up funds - I do have some tied up where I'd have to only eat the deposit if I cancelled but the pricing on those also makes them so I should be able to justify them budget wise - we shall see 🙂

Several of his posts say this... you can tell hes reading from what travel agents see. .. "his clients" ..

Clearly he is asking rcl for specifics.

After I get moved I hope to treat myself to a suite but for now refundable only for me. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Ret MP said:

Yep, it's like a Divining Rod, except that it points up when it detects a Pinnacle cruiser that is cruising on the cheap and is within arm's length of the user.  

I must be totally transparent though, it's not too accurate.  It will point up in the most unexpected places.

You are such a bad boy my friend.  😄 😄 

17 hours ago, Cigar King said:

I assume that Pinnacles do not sail in suites in any greater proportion to the rest of the passengers.  Do you have any numbers that suggest they do?  Assuming the above is true then the majority of Pinnacles are not sailing in suites.  Nobody has ever suggested that a Pinnacle sailing in a suite should not get the suite benefits.

Your post confirmed my point...thank you.  No one knows for sure...thus the Pinnacle bashers who see a Pinnacles in the SL/CK, and then immediately assume they are not in a full suite...ah..huh.  

35 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

So if more and more people accept less risk and start booking close in how does  RCI manage that?

Not sure that will happen.  Don't forget, there are very few suites and ships have seen them sell out well over a year or in some cases 2 in advance.  For all those that hold off someone will step in to takle their place.

17 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

This made me think of a Pinnacle couple my wife & I met a long time ago during the old DL happy hour. They were easily twice our age & magnitudes wealthier (clearly an assumption by me but I know my finances at the time & from the info I had to go on, I’m comfortable with it).

We must have chatted with them for nearly two hours & they could not have been more down to earth telling us about spending months at sea enjoying simple aspects of the ship. We weren’t heavily into cruising yet so it was fascinating at the time. The conversation only ended because they had dinner reservations.

Now that I recall that story, I feel bad for not saying hi on Harmony. Perhaps we’ll cross paths again when I’m not with extended family & you’re done with your world cruise segments & 45-day Aussie adventures & back to sailing boring Caribbean itineraries.

Perfectly stated, and I can definitely relate to that.  When we first started cruising as newbies, we met many Pinnacles that sort of took us under their wing.  We learned so much about cruising from them, and adored the passion they had doing so while they still could.  They were so welcoming. Had many lovely conversations with them in the DL and CL years ago.  Many of which we are still friends with and in fact try to match up our cruises with them.  

Would love to finally meet you in person on another cruise sometime. 🙂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vjmatty said:

I can understand having some limited benefits based on ship class, since not all ships have a CK. But free internet and Chops breakfast can be done on any ship, so they’re unnecessary restrictions. 

Pretty sure all RCI ships serve breakfast in a specialty restaurant for suite guests.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

There is no bashing going on, people are sharing their experiences.  You weren't on our recent sailing to see what was going on and you are not aware of who was sailing in a suite and who wasn't.  I do know which were in suites and which weren't.  You can continue to jump to conclusions as you do when anyone says anything about pinnacles but that does not change what other cruisers are experiencing.

Out of curiosity...how did you know for certain of which every Pinnacle you saw in the CK and SL were in full suites or not?