To Mariner…or not.

Emdee

3 minutes ago, pappy1022 said:

That’s a fair point but I wonder why the Regent staff that tend to the room didn’t say anything to management. It was so obvious and surely didn’t just happen on this cruise. There is responsibility on both sides.

Exactly right. Where the heck was the butler?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xrvlcruiser said:

I wonder if the people in the Penthouse with the damage to the area around the sliding door, pointed it out to the Staff: Concierge or General Manager?

When I see a situation which needs repair, I say something and it is repaired very quickly. If nothing is said,nothing is likely to happen.

This is the obvious thing to do if there is something not up to standard in your suite. But be careful some don’t like that answer, it doesn’t fit their narrative.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, wristband said:

Keep throwing bricks & deflecting blame.  Whatever apparently works for you.

Mariner WC Cabin #2.jpg

No need to take it personally. Obviously this area looks rough and needs attention. No one should be denying that. Mariner is scheduled for a drydock the end of 2025. Either way, vote with your wallet.

We have been on the Mariner more than any other Regent ship. Last time was in 2017, so can’t comment on current condition. The only things we don’t like are these. First, the lower four levels of suites are too small for most of us. The second thing is that suites with a bathtub shower have the tub floor about 8” ” above the bathroom floor.. this creates a problem for older cruisers to use. Stepping up and stepping down 8” is not something to we can do.safely.do. Best thing is to book a suite with only a shower. It is a fairly  a good solution.as it has.no such barriers. I think the suites with the step-up step- down tub shower combos violate the ADA because even people with mild orthopedic leg problems cannot safely navigate this arrangement.  And the only other thing I might ad is five years is too long between major dry dock renovation on a luxury cruise ship. And longer than that is unacceptable.

Edited by Dolebludger
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 6/19/2023 at 8:08 AM, Pcardad said:

No need to take it personally. Obviously this area looks rough and needs attention. No one should be denying that. Mariner is scheduled for a drydock the end of 2025. Either way, vote with your wallet.

We are scheduled to go on a 21 day Caribbean Christmas cruise on Mariner at the end of 2025.  This makes me wonder whether it will get cancelled.

4 hours ago, ysolde said:

We are scheduled to go on a 21 day Caribbean Christmas cruise on Mariner at the end of 2025.  This makes me wonder whether it will get cancelled.

It's extremely unlikely that a Christmas cruise will be cancelled.  They are huge draws and very profitable. Just a guess. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, papaflamingo said:

It's extremely unlikely that a Christmas cruise will be cancelled.  They are huge draws and very profitable. Just a guess. 

That makes me feel better.  We chose a cabin that is shower-only, as I have a mobility impairment and would not be able to get in and out of a bathtub.  Thus far, we have been on a TA on Voyager, which we thoroughly enjoyed, even though it was older.  We will be on a short Caribbean cruise on Splendor in February (replacing a cruise we were supposed to be on last year, when I was felled with the dreaded Covid), so we will get a sense of what the newer ships are like.  We will then be on Voyager again in March for a really interesting voyage that begins in Rio, takes us around Brazil, then across the Atlantic (with several stops) to Lisbon.  As I said, we really enjoyed Voyager, so an older ship doesn't bother us.  Hoping that Mariner, with its quirks and issues, is as lovely to us as Voyager has been.

• Like 1

Jumping in a little late...

We were on the 23 WC.  Seabourn/Oceania/Viking customers.  First time on Regent.  We had a fabulous (not perfect) time.  

We were in a standard verandah suite with absolutely no complaints regarding the condition of the suite (other than the room itself is tiny and the bathroom even smaller...  and we adjusted!).

Service was great (understanding that we had a lot of newish staff).  Overwhelmed by the attention of staff.  Food was amazing with a very occasional miss...nothing major.  

Yes, there were some (minor) disappointments (thats life) and one very major screwup with our passport (which after much time and energy was remedied by ADM herself).

We were at the Town Hall meeting.  And although ADM probably could have done a better presentation.  Most passengers were not courteous or respectful.  

We had such a great time we booked a 2024 Grand Journey (and cancelled our Seabourn cruise).

Just another point of view...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ysolde said:

That makes me feel better.  We chose a cabin that is shower-only, as I have a mobility impairment and would not be able to get in and out of a bathtub.  Thus far, we have been on a TA on Voyager, which we thoroughly enjoyed, even though it was older.  We will be on a short Caribbean cruise on Splendor in February (replacing a cruise we were supposed to be on last year, when I was felled with the dreaded Covid), so we will get a sense of what the newer ships are like.  We will then be on Voyager again in March for a really interesting voyage that begins in Rio, takes us around Brazil, then across the Atlantic (with several stops) to Lisbon.  As I said, we really enjoyed Voyager, so an older ship doesn't bother us.  Hoping that Mariner, with its quirks and issues, is as lovely to us as Voyager has been.

I wouldn't say that Mariner has "quirks and issues."  The Verandah level cabins are a bit smaller than the other ships, but Penthouse are huge.  Other than that, she's a great ship.  We did 44 nights on her in 2018 and are doing 10 nights in Dec.  I can't wait.  We really liked the layout of the ship.  I haven't been on Voyager (we sail on her in Oct.) but I don't think you'll find much of a difference between Voyager and Mariner (other than the cabin sizes).  You are VERY SMART to get a Shower only.  We had a combo and it was..."interesting," especially in the "wild and crazy" Tasman Sea. 😱

But I think you'll really like the ship.  We sure did.  Have a great cruise!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Tutuma said:

We were at the Town Hall meeting.  And although ADM probably could have done a better presentation.  Most passengers were not courteous or respectful.  

I've heard this as well....do think think the lack or courtesy and respect was for a specific reason?  I wasn't there and I only know what I heard. I would be interested to see what your thoughts were on the subject. Was she responsive and forthcoming answering the hard questions she was given?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pcardad said:

I've heard this as well....do think think the lack or courtesy and respect was for a specific reason?  I wasn't there and I only know what I heard. I would be interested to see what your thoughts were on the subject. Was she responsive and forthcoming answering the hard questions she was given?

ADM was excited about the new ship.  People were not there for that.  I think she was not expecting the grievances (which were not presented to her in a courteous manner) and was unprepared for solutions.  However, she did have an assistant that was taking copious notes, so perhaps a follow up to the hard questions would be addressed at a later date.

1 hour ago, Pcardad said:

If I may jump in here and address your question. I was also on the 2023 WC and previously on two world cruises (2018 and 2022) where the Town Halls were hosted by Jason Montague so I have a point of comparison.

I will say that there was a lack of courtesy eventually, but it did not start out that way. It was a result of ADM’s failure to address the issues people were concerned about. She did not come prepared, had no knowledge about concerns people had shared with the corporate office, and offered evasive answers to questions posed to her. So I think the frustration boiled over.

IMO, her performance was a stark contrast to what we experienced with Jason. He had his share of critical comments (after all, when do you ever get a chance to air your grievances with the CEO), but he knew about the issues, and even if not able to immediately rectify them, he gave the impression that he cared.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, BBWC said:

If I may jump in here and address your question. I was also on the 2023 WC and previously on two world cruises (2018 and 2022) where the Town Halls were hosted by Jason Montague so I have a point of comparison.

I will say that there was a lack of courtesy eventually, but it did not start out that way. It was a result of ADM’s failure to address the issues people were concerned about. She did not come prepared, had no knowledge about concerns people had shared with the corporate office, and offered evasive answers to questions posed to her. So I think the frustration boiled over.

IMO, her performance was a stark contrast to what we experienced with Jason. He had his share of critical comments (after all, when do you ever get a chance to air your grievances with the CEO), but he knew about the issues, and even if not able to immediately rectify them, he gave the impression that he cared.

This is consistent with what I heard from guests and crew...maybe with a little time she will get up to speed. However, not being prepared for the WC guests would definitely annoy most guests I know.

• Like 1

Hopefully she will. To go into a situation like that with probably the most frequent and loyal Regent customers and to not be prepared says a lot about her leadership and understanding of her customers. I guess she was there to promote the new ship and that’s not what the clientele were there to hear.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, pappy1022 said:

Hopefully she will. To go into a situation like that with probably the most frequent and loyal Regent customers and to not be prepared says a lot about her leadership and understanding of her customers. I guess she was there to promote the new ship and that’s not what the clientele were there to hear.

Especially when Mariner is set to run two more WCs before her next drydock...

On 8/2/2023 at 6:26 PM, Pcardad said:

Especially when Mariner is set to run two more WCs before her next drydock...

We have 129 nights booked on Mariner prior to next dry dock so I am following this thread closely.  Final payment for 2024 Grand Arctic will occur whilst we are on Mariner for Amazon so we should have a somewhat informed decision.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

We have 129 nights booked on Mariner prior to next dry dock so I am following this thread closely.  Final payment for 2024 Grand Arctic will occur whilst we are on Mariner for Amazon so we should have a somewhat informed decision.

The drydocks dates are always said to be Subject to change but with increased headwinds from 15% higher projected fuel costs and higher interest rat costs on debt servicing, I would be surprised (and also happy) to

see to an accelerated schedule. 

Edited by Pcardad

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2023 at 9:30 AM, mrlevin said:

Please share your insights here once you’re on Mariner, we have final payment in early January for the first segment of the Grand Arctic and are debating what we’re going to do, thanks

• 3 months later...

Hello, I am sorry to report that the toilet system does not work on Regent Mariner.  We started our cruise in Miami Dec 2, 2023. The floor in the bathroom had water on it and the toilet did not flush. Since, every day we had this problem. Today, Dec 7, we have the problem in our “suite” #761 but the problem exists on public toilet on 11th floor at the Veranda, on the 6th floor, public toilet next to Horizon lounge and on 6th floor, Public toilet next to the theater.  We were told at the reception that the problem is across the ship.  We met other guests from deck 10, they had the problem.

This ship has a serious problem.

In our 43 previous cruises, it is the first time we have such problems.  This is our first time with Regent, this is not a good experience. Because of the Covid, we stopped cruising for 3 years.  Since December 2022, we were on Celebrity, Seabourn and Crystal. we will stay with these other company or maybe go on a more recent Regent ship.

Edited by Cruiselover51
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Mariner is going to be getting a special (and very extensive) refit in the future.

meanwhile they continue to sell cruises on Mariner.  We had similar problems last month on Mariner.  Time to simply bite the bullet and take her out of service and fix the darn thing.

• Like 3