Pinnacle Grill or Rudi's Sel De Mer on Koningsdam

cabland

We have the Pinnacle Grill booked on the Koningsdam for dinner one night, but am thinking about changing to Rudi's based on some just "OK" reviews of the Pinnacle as of late..  Of course a lot less folks do Rudi's so maybe not as many reviews.  We also have Tamarind and Nami Sushi booked on a couple other nights so I might open to a second night at one of those or even Canaletto.

Anyway, open to suggestions, comments, etc.

Thanks!

I haven't been on the Koningsdam but my parents went recently and they sure did love the Pinnacle... as do I on every ship I've been on. It's not to be missed, in my opinion.

BUT if I truly had to pick just one, and had opportunity to try Rudi's, I would at least once!

Edited by loveandpeas

3 minutes ago, loveandpeas said:

BUT if I truly had to pick just one, and had opportunity to try Rudi's, I would at least once!

My choice too!  But really, if possible, I suggest trying them all!  I've had great meals at all of them at one time or another......and a couple so so meals at all of them over the years.

~Nancy

• Like 1

Much as I loved my dinner and the service in Rudi's, I was only happy there because I especially liked the entrée that was on special that night. I always find something to love in the Pinnacle, and service there has been impeccable. Lately I have been craving a dinner there. 

Any ship restaurant will depend on who is the executive chef that cruise, and how the cooks in the galley are. That can vary a great deal, but I have never been unhappy in the Pinnacle. 

• Like 1

We've sailed 2 weeks on the K' and dined at both.  We had a great time at both.  I suggest you review the menus and see whether one menu appeals to you more than the other.  You should notice that there are some similar items on each like fish and lamb chops so if you are in the mood for a great piece of fish or lamb you may as well select PG.

At Rudi's, I would not recommend the Rudi's Face to Face Chocolate creation for dessert.  It was a real disappointment.  The Profiteroles though were really good.  

Recent holiday cruise on Konigsdam - both Rudi's and Pinnacle were pretty awful. Tamarind is a lovely  setting, but overall now misses the mark for its markedly changed menu. It was pretty ho-hum, after loving Tamarind when it first came out.  The Sushi corner was good enough, and does offer some of the Tamarind menu items, in a less formal setting.

The surprise was Canaletto - the very best of them all during this particular cruise, but they too now have had menu changes. Quite honestly, other than the change of settings which is  nice - no argument there, and picking one's way carefully through the menu for more predictable items the specialty restaurants were a very mixed bag. We ended up cancelling our later segment reservations for all of them, and  just stuck with the main dining room, which was pretty good.

This disappointing personal experience may well be out-dated, but I would say the biggest disappointment was Rudi's. I would not waste the money so be between the two - go with Pinnacle. But don't over look Canaletto, and hope it has continued to keep it most improved player reputation.

• Like 1

I only wish the "Salzburg Nockerel" shown in CrewsNews photo had actually come out like that classic, but we got a flattened tasteless "claufuti" wannabe instead. Everything just went wrong that night for us - missing menu items, poor preparation, mislabeled menu items, an that absurd rendering of what should have been Austrian Rudi's showcase dessert.  Boo on Rudi's. 

• Like 1

My experiences on Westerdam were a mixed bag. I had dinner twice at Pinnacle: the first time was surprisingly good, but the second time was nowhere near the same experience. Very inconsistent and frustrating!

Tamarind (as done in the Canaletto space for the Asia cruises) was okay but not as good as when it is a stand-alone. 

Canaletto was by far the least impressive. It's the second time (on different ships) I've tried it and have not been impressed with the food either time. 

Given the variability of all of these experiences, I'd go with whichever restaurant has the menu that appeals most and then just cross your fingers that you are there on a "good" night....

49 minutes ago, cbr663 said:

We've sailed 2 weeks on the K' and dined at both.  We had a great time at both.  I suggest you review the menus and see whether one menu appeals to you more than the other.  You should notice that there are some similar items on each like fish and lamb chops so if you are in the mood for a great piece of fish or lamb you may as well select PG.

At Rudi's, I would not recommend the Rudi's Face to Face Chocolate creation for dessert.  It was a real disappointment.  The Profiteroles though were really good.  

I agree the lamb is good in the pinnacle I don’t think it does well with fish.  The halibut is not good at all.  It was excellent in club orange.  The last time I had salmon in the pinnacle it was of very poor quality.  I had scallops in the pinnacle and those were fine.  The fish has been excellent in Rudi’s with the exception of the Mahi mahi which was average at best.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

I only wish the "Salzburg Nockerel" shown in CrewsNews photo had actually come out like that classic, but we got a flattened tasteless "claufuti" wannabe instead. Everything just went wrong that night for us - missing menu items, poor preparation, mislabeled menu items, an that absurd rendering of what should have been Austrian Rudi's showcase dessert.  Boo on Rudi's. 

It must have been bad.  I think I ate there 4 times on the koningsdam and it was all excellent.  I ate at the pinnacle once and that was 2 times to much.

11 minutes ago, oakridger said:

@Florida_gal_50 and your fish experience shows just how random and inconsistent the restaurants have been for me also.  I really loved my halibut in the Pinnacle on Nieuw Amsterdam last October!  

~Nancy

I’ve had it a few times and it’s overcooked every time even though I ask them not to.  It didn’t have much flavour either.  The club orange halibut was so good but it was tiny, maybe one of two ounces.  That said I think I’m a pretty fine cook and the halibut I’ve cooked at home won’t win any awards. 

Spent 80 days out of 110 on Rotterdam and Koningsdam Dec 2022 thru March 2023.   Rotterdam was much better than Koningsdam. Pinnacle Grill fabulous on Rotterdam. Loved the dover sole at Rudi's on both ships. Tamarind was less than exemplary on Koningsdam. Sushi was not the best in Nami Sushi on K.  Really enjoyed Canneleto on both ships.

0307231802.jpg

0307231803.jpg

1212221828a.jpg

1212221828.jpg

1221221710b~2.jpg

• Like 1

They’re both great — most of the time.  As with any restaurant, sometimes things go awry.  (I’ve been talking up the branzino in Canaletto to anyone who will listen, but recently had an awful presentation of that dish.) 

So I agree with @cruisemom42, look at the menus and go with the one that suits your tastes.  In my opinion, chances are very good that you’ll have a wonderful meal. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

To some degree it depends upon your preferences.

While Rudi's is more expensive, it also has fewer supplements--the lobster tail that is a $15 supplement at PG is included at Rudi's, for example.  But those are easily avoided.

Rudi's menu is more varied; PG is focused in the tradition of a classic steakhouse.  But both venues are served by the same galley, so it's not like your steak frites at Rudi's are being any differently prepared than your steak with a side of french fries in PG.

Rudi's is a more attractive room on K'dam--the PG is kept very dark--perhaps to prevent you from seeing whether or not your steak has been correctly cooked without the aid of your cellphone flashlight.

On balance, if I could only visit one, I would opt for Rudi's, because the brasserie dishes are the type of food that is harder and harder to find at good restaurants on land; whereas steakhouses (and better ones than PG) are to be found everywhere.  But that assumes I don't have a dining credit that could only be used at the other specialty venues.

• Like 4

Rudi’s on K-Dam and Rotterdam have never disappointed us, and it’s our first choice when available.

Canaletto seems to be the most consistent in quality from ship to ship. It’s a solid choice.

Tamarind has been wildly inconsistently for us in terms of quality— seems to depend how busy the restaurant is— a shame, because their menu is the most exciting of all the speciality restaurants.

We prefer Pinnacle for lunch more than dinner.

• Like 2

Sailed on the Koningsdam over the holidays and made a point to book Sel de Mer as I have always enjoyed the pop ups on the other ships.  The food was excellent & the service very good on the all.

I was disappointed in the stand alone on the Koningsdam.  I dined as a solo and felt like I was treated as second class citizen.  My entree was inedible and by the time the waiter came to inquire it was far too late to get a replacement.  I should never have listened to the recommendation and gone with the Dover Sole I planned on.

the chef did come out and apologize and promised me a Dover Sole in Club Orange.  Needless to say, I never saw it.  

Hopefully my experience was a one off.

• Like 2

I’d forgotten about the Dover sole in sel de mer.  After years of hearing people rave about it I’d put it at the same level as the mahi mahi, very average.   If the op is a steak fan I would definitely go to the pinnacle.  That’s the place for it.  

• Like 1

You have received opinions all over the map which is expected as we each have different values. I have sailed on Konigsdam twice since restart. My ranking for this ship is Rudy's, Canaletto, PG. 

When the Canaletto was first introduced on HAL, I did not like it at all, but I think overtime it has gotten a lot better. IMO the PG has gotten old and could use a totally revamped menu. I have not liked Rudy's as a pop up on ships but as a stand-alone on the K, it was great. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I agree the lamb is good in the pinnacle I don’t think it does well with fish.  The halibut is not good at all.  It was excellent in club orange.  The last time I had salmon in the pinnacle it was of very poor quality.  I had scallops in the pinnacle and those were fine.  The fish has been excellent in Rudi’s with the exception of the Mahi mahi which was average at best.

When we dine is speciality restaurants we tend to select those items that we can't typically get at home.  This means we rarely select a steak at the PG.  We had the pork chop and jumbo scallops and both were really good.  I noticed quite a few other patrons were also selecting the pork chop.  

Appearance wise the sides were a little disappointing but as others have stated, we left feeling very satisfied.  The waiter in the PG made an error in our deserts and thought we were sharing the chocolate soufflé and forgot that I had ordered the cheese plate.  It didn't take long to receive my order though.  One thing I have learned when travelling is you have to roll with it.  🙂

I really enjoyed the rack of lamb in Rudi's and my DW enjoyed her catch of the day which was halibut.  I had the calamari and my wife escargots and both were good.  The pureed cauliflower was really smooth - so much smoother than we make at home and it has now presented me with a challenge to replicate it at home. 🙂

I will say though since returning from the cruise we have discussed cruising moving forward and we feel that with CO we most likely will forgo evening speciality dining.  Rudi's present a wonderful environment and good food yet as you and I have discussed on another thread, us Canadian's are paying over $80 each to dine there and that is in addition to our already paid for meal elsewhere.  Our next cruise we will try lunches in the PG and stick with CO for all breakfasts and dinner meals.

BTW - I did notice that they were grilling steaks in the lido.  They weren't grilled to order, but they were grilling as they were serving them from the line.  After this cruise we have decided that we avoid the lido for lunches.  Just too much activity and commotion for us.

• Like 2