Cruise cancelled, replaced by charter!

fudge

We have just been informed by our TA that our cruise scheduled for 2nd April 2024 on the Silver Dawn Lisbon to Portugal!  This has never happened to us before, very disappointed indeed. We were meeting friends in Portugal and it was a special anniversary. In addition this was a real bargain not to be missed.

We have been offered a full refund of our deposit and 10 percent extra off another cruise should we choose one.

The could be our last cruise with SS how dare they!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, fudge said:

I appreciate that but it still dosent make it right!

No it doesn't. It's very short-sighted to annoy regular customers for a one-off charter. 

Mind you, it's better than getting on board and finding yourself stuck with hundreds of drunken insurance sales staff (or whatever). 

• Like 5

We have sailed with SS many times and like the cruise line however, we are taking back our deposit and booking a cruise with either Seabourn or Regent who we also like. 

It will be a long time if ever we will book with SS again.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, canderson said:

I don't know if other companies do this, but it's definitely "a thing" on the two other RCG lines as well, especially in the Spring season.

Other cruise lines do this all the time, not just Royal Caribbean affiliates. It sucks, but you can find many "I'll never sail (fill in the blank) again" threads like this on CC due to post-booking charters.

Edited by taxatty
  • Like 1

Seabourn have recently had some large groups on board - in many ways worse (some of  them) than having your cruise cancelled with some perks towards the next one.  One  of 250 recently on a ship holding about 450.

3 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

No it doesn't. It's very short-sighted to annoy regular customers for a one-off charter. 

Mind you, it's better than getting on board and finding yourself stuck with hundreds of drunken insurance sales staff (or whatever). 

Just pity the people after last year the charter before our sailing had drunk the ship dry so much missing…

• Like 3

Not sure if you made air arrangements on your own, but if you did, hopefully your insurance in whatever form can make you whole. I would personally try to bargain for a much bigger concession. 10 percent off is tiny. However, I agree that no matter how large the concession is, it will not overcome the disappointment that you must be feeling. Sorry.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, fudge said:

We have sailed with SS many times and like the cruise line however, we are taking back our deposit and booking a cruise with either Seabourn or Regent who we also like. 

Regent also cancelled our Splendor booking in March 2024 due to a charter, so you are not necessarily better off by booking Regent. 

• Like 1

Thank you all for your replies, much appreciated.

I know that any cruise line can cancel your cruise at any time however, its really annoying when it happens, this was a special cruise for all sorts of reasons, now they are offering 10 percent off a future cruise should we find one.

I did look and found a 6 day cruise Oman to Muscat next February we sail 2 days before Beverley's  birthday and our wedding anniversary perfect you would think?

No, Silversea were stating a veranda suite for £2355 including door to door, I asked my TA for a price cruise only, no door to door, they sent me a price of £6000 per person with supposedly a 10 percent discount???

I think I need a new TA! 

Edited by fudge

Fudge

you state that they canceled an April 2nd 2024 cruise from Lisbon to Portugal? Did you accidentally miss the disembarked location? Or was it a round trip ? I ask because at first I thought it was the cruise we were on which was May 2 2024 Lisbon to Southampton 12 days , both itineraries starting on the 2nd of the month, wanted to make sure I didn’t miss something., I’m assuming that itinerary did not work as a good alternative for you. 

Sorry for your disappointment, good luck in your search for a replacement itinerary. 

Sorry, my mistake, in my rage I posted it just after I got the mail from my TA. It was Lisbon to Barcelona, 10 days. I have sort of given up now with SS, I am just looking for a cruise "for the sake of it" Thanks for your post.

• Haha 1

On 6/3/2023 at 3:02 PM, Mr Luxury said:

Go to Portugal and have a good time with your friends anyway.

No need for a cruise.

Charters can and do happen.

Absolut spot on.  

The only distance between us is that whilst we both hotel extremely well, you eat upscale and I eat with poorer and more  local. I suspect you also shave whereas I don’t.  And I bet I drink more Absolut than you. 😝

• Like 1

12 hours ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

Absolut spot on.  

The only distance between us is that whilst we both hotel extremely well, you eat upscale and I eat with poorer and more  local. I suspect you also shave whereas I don’t.  And I bet I drink more Absolut than you. 😝

Lovely to hear from you Jeff.

I don't drink at all in the UK any more and only when I am away.

Yes I do shave every day,  been like that since I was in the military and I hate stubble especially as I'm getting older.

My child bride is the vodka aficionado.

How's sunny Hampshire,I was at Limewood two weeks ago and lunch in Romsey last Sunday.

On 6/1/2023 at 9:30 AM, fudge said:

Mrs Banjo and I did this after a sailing in the late 1990’s where we were in the few, who were not part of a chartered cruise.  We stayed away more than 11 years before returning to SS.  We book all cruises based on the ship and the IT with only a secondary preference on the cruise line, (but we only book small ships).  Our philosophy is that loyalty must work in both directions.  If the line expects loyalty, they need to show it as well.  Yes, the contract says they can, but doesn’t make it right.  

if I were you, I would plan my trip to Portugal on the time frame you need.  I’m sure there are many river cruises and or land tours that would be very interesting.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for advise and guidance. I am surprised no other person on that cancelled cruise has chimed in however, I am aware that this forum only attracts a few of those sailing. 

I am still angry that they have done this, it obviously pays to do this even if 5 or 600 people would be upset or maybe not. We will go to Portugal under our own steam, they are valued friends we have not seen since they left our Island. I have advised my TA not to send me any more offers from SS, there are plenty more cruise lines out there, Regent and Seabourn in particular. 

We have become cruising snobs, we are afraid to try other cruise lines for fear of saying, "not as good as" ?

13 minutes ago, fudge said:

Thank you everyone for advise and guidance. I am surprised no other person on that cancelled cruise has chimed in however, I am aware that this forum only attracts a few of those sailing. 

I am still angry that they have done this, it obviously pays to do this even if 5 or 600 people would be upset or maybe not. We will go to Portugal under our own steam, they are valued friends we have not seen since they left our Island. I have advised my TA not to send me any more offers from SS, there are plenty more cruise lines out there, Regent and Seabourn in particular. 

We have become cruising snobs, we are afraid to try other cruise lines for fear of saying, "not as good as" ?

Good choice,think of your friends.

You'll have a great time.

Eat lots of Natas.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, fudge said:

I have advised my TA not to send me any more offers from SS, there are plenty more cruise lines out there, Regent and Seabourn in particular.

If you think that Regent and Seabourn do not charter, you are in for a rude awakening at some time.

• Like 2