AARP Rewards eGift Cards

Uncle Sugar

2 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Did you know the exact balance and what the balance should be?  Do you show any obc under payments or credits in the cruise personalizer?  Or your travel summary?

When I use them, I usually use them and the leftover odd amount I use my credit card.  I know the exact amount I owe.

Go over the figures.

Yes - I know all that.  But while Princess shows one thing my TA is showing another.  The figure Princess used would be the correct number IF the gift card was used - the TAs numbers would be correct if the gift card wasn't used....  Because I use a TA nothing shows up online as far as payments.

• Like 1

Just on AARP Rewards and noticed that the Gift Cards for Princess are now 8% off down from 10%.  Appears all other cruise line gift cards offered by AARP including. Carnival,  Holland America, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity are still 10% off.

• Like 2

On 6/30/2023 at 5:08 PM, HaveDogWillTravel said:

The fine print of my Chase sapphire card says my trip is covered as long as I pay a portion of the costs with that card. Only rental cars require full payment with the sapphire card to be covered. 

I also use the Sapphire card to cover my trips, so have been hesitant to get GCs. Can you tell me where you found this info?

6 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

You don’t have them in your email?

Thank goodness you have the number and pin.  They usually ask “when” you purchased them.  Good luck.

I'm not going totally crazy anyway - I found the emails from AARP for all the gift cards.  Somehow the "AARP" folder was hidden in my "Cruise" mail boxes - I went to "move" an email to this cruise when "AARP" popped up as a choice - and there they are BUT after a certain period there is nothing there - and this is one of those.

55 minutes ago, bjkTX said:

Yes - I know all that.  But while Princess shows one thing my TA is showing another.  The figure Princess used would be the correct number IF the gift card was used - the TAs numbers would be correct if the gift card wasn't used....  Because I use a TA nothing shows up online as far as payments.

Got it. Then the TA would have to straighten it out with PCL.

Sorry you have to deal with this.

23 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Got it. Then the TA would have to straighten it out with PCL.

Sorry you have to deal with this.

Thanks - and just got emails from the airlines changing flights both ways.  Going is fine - coming back a flight at 6am probably isn't going to work.... 🙂

20 minutes ago, JoseyP said:

Simple question:  i am assuming i now have to be a member of aarp to get the gift cards, right?

No, you do not.  Just go to rewards on the website and search for princess.

You do need to register, but at this time you don’t have to buy a membership.

44 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

No, you do not.  Just go to rewards on the website and search for princess.

You do need to register, but at this time you don’t have to buy a membership.

Thanks so much. I got confused......carnival, Celebrity and Royal - you need to be a member; Princess and Holland, no.  It gets so complicated. You used to be able to get them all w/o being a member. I am on the site now.  I appreciate the info!

I have a credit card where i can get free gift cards, for redeeming my points, and got a free $100 Princess one. Can't do that much tho, because I'd have to wrack up zillions of points to get a whole cruise like that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cruiseNYer said:

I agree anything off is a good deal.  Just wondering why it is only just Princess that would reduce to 8%, while other lines under the Carnival umbrella did not.  And, by a somewhat trivial amount. Seems very strange.

Because @Thrak ordered $22K worth!  🤣

• Haha 5

Is it AARP or Princess?

I ordered one princess eGC in the morning of 7/31.  I got the on line acknowledgement saying hat it could take 24 hours to receive the eGC by email. I waited >30 hours, no email and no eGC.  Called AARP  - the order was conveniently lost in cyberspace.  There was no record of order. Then I found out the eGC price went up to $460.  I can't believe it!  I felt so cheap! I wasted a whole day checking email constantly and checked with CC and  AARP.  Looks like somebody just conveniently void the transaction  so it can be sold 2% more.  All other cruise lines, including Carnival and Holland American, are still 10%

I just went on AARP to purchase my five gift cards for the month of August and the price is not $460.00 for the $500 gift card instead of the $450.00.  Still a good deal at 8%, but not as good as a straight 10% off.

Just an FYI

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hflors said:

I just went on AARP to purchase my five gift cards for the month of August and the price is not $460.00 for the $500 gift card instead of the $450.00.  Still a good deal at 8%, but not as good as a straight 10% off.

Just an FYI

Yup.  There is a discussion about this on the Aarp rewards egift cards

17 hours ago, 808cruisers said:

Clicking thru Capital One Shopping had $5 cash back AARP rewards.

Do you have to be an AARP member to get that $5?  I am register but not a paying member.  I have no problem buying the Princess gift cards, but never saw an offer to get $5 reward.

9 minutes ago, chubbypiggy said:

Do you have to be an AARP member to get that $5?  I am register but not a paying member.  I have no problem buying the Princess gift cards, but never saw an offer to get $5 reward.

Never mind my question above.  Just bought my gift cards, and it did show a $5 reward.

The sage of the missing AARP gift card has not been resolved unfortunately and no one wants to take ownership.  After I spent hours talking to AARP, Princess Gift Cards and then Princess - my TA took a few hours to do the same.  Right now it has been confirmed that the $500 gift card was applied to Princess (at the same time the other ten cards were processed) - but Princess says it wasn't.  My TA has contacted her Princess Rep about it but said based on past experience not to hold my breath.  Princess now refuses to talk to me since I used a TA...  It looks like I will  need to pay the last $320 some other way and fight it out with AARP since they took my money and issued the card.  Fortunately I have nothing better to do :-)

On 8/1/2023 at 6:57 PM, cruiseNYer said:

I agree anything off is a good deal.  Just wondering why it is only just Princess that would reduce to 8%, while other lines under the Carnival umbrella did not.  And, by a somewhat trivial amount. Seems very strange.

23 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Because @Thrak ordered $22K worth!  🤣

I suspect there's a degree of truth in this.  (Not picking on @Thrak...I've bought a good chunk myself!)  I believe there has probably been a big surge in Princess GCs since we all started discussing it here on CC.  MANY people chimed in saying that they had no idea they were available.  Basic supply and demand at work here.  Someone took note and figured "There's some money to be made here!"

Edited by Rick&Jeannie
  • Like 1