C&A Changes?

1 hour ago, NateUpNorth said:

I could absolutely see RCL changing C&A to an "18 or older" program.
Kids share adult status when they "can't sign up" and then at 18 they become eligible to start collecting points. 
Lots of rewards programs indicate "thou shalt be X age to enter/apply/belong"

I can imagine a bean counter somewhere saying "here's how many Diamond drinks (insert other perks here) you give away to passengers that grandfathered in, and here's how many you'd save if they don't start accumulating points until they do it "themselves" when they turn 18"

Having said that I also could fully believe the RCL staff member being misinformed or not understanding the program.

If a person did that, they wouldn’t be a bean counter, they’d be using data to make a strategic decision.  That’s not being a bean counter.  That’s using data analytics to make strategic decisions.  

Anyhow, it isn’t happening.  So it doesn’t matter.  But it would be smart for them to revert kids to their points status after they become an adult.  That would end D+ status for kids who take one cruise that then gets passed to their spouse and kids, and so goes the snowball effect.  That’s the only policy I could see them wanting to change.  

• Like 1

So, the child that earned, by his own right, Pinnacle status at age 8 (or whatever it was) would not have earned any cruise points?  That will never happen as it would be absolutely contrary to RCI's new family friendly marketing.  Why take your kids on a cruise when they don't earn their own points?

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, The Scurvy Pirate said:

So, the child that earned, by his own right, Pinnacle status at age 8 (or whatever it was) would not have earned any cruise points?  That will never happen as it would be absolutely contrary to RCI's new family friendly marketing.  Why take your kids on a cruise when they don't earn their own points?

I'm not sure, but I don't think "Points" is the deciding factor in whether parent decide to take their children along on a cruise or not.  Perhaps for some, but it never was a consideration for us to bring our kids or not.  "Points" are barely a deciding factor for us.  Ship, Itinerary, price are much higher on the deciding factors.

dp

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, The Scurvy Pirate said:

So, the child that earned, by his own right, Pinnacle status at age 8 (or whatever it was) would not have earned any cruise points? 

My daughters have the points when they sailed with me as minors, but they stopped sailing with me when I was Platinum, so they remain at that level. My oldest is missing a couple of cruises with me, one being her graduation cruise and she was 18. Adding the 2 won’t change her current level, but it will add more points to next level. Hope to get it straightened out before she sails Wonder next month.

• Like 1

This sounds like a GS person who doesn't understand the existing program.  That makes no sense and would be the first loyalty program that I had ever heard of the disqualified minors from participating.  

• Like 1

On 6/5/2023 at 9:38 AM, topnole said:

That wouldn’t really save them anything since kids keep their status into adulthood.  If they wanted to save money, the thing to do is end the status matching once a child becomes an adult (ie. they reset to status provided by their own points).  Not arguing what they should do either way.  Just that kids not earning points doesn’t save them much of anything if they keep the status matching aspect of the program.  

Plus, why would Minors be denied points when they cruise?   Because they didn’t pay for it?   So what and who’s to say who paid for it?  Lots of adults cruise with someone else paying for it.  Who pays the bill isn’t a criteria in any loyalty program I’m aware of in other industries either.  

I’m 99.9999% sure that whatever you think you heard is wrong.  

I posted to see whether anyone one else heard any info to corroborate or refute.  This is from a conversation I heard not one I think I heard.  I have good hearing, am not senile, and the conversation caused the couple being told to get quite upset along with others in the area.  The question is how accurate it is.  

2 hours ago, Airbear232 said:

I posted to see whether anyone one else heard any info to corroborate or refute.  This is from a conversation I heard not one I think I heard.  I have good hearing, am not senile, and the conversation caused the couple being told to get quite upset along with others in the area.  The question is how accurate it is.  

You think anyone on CC could definitely confirm how accurate this rumor is?  We don’t work for Royal so no one here knows for sure.  Like I said, I’m 99+% that what you think you overheard is nonsense.   Of course I could be wrong.  

BTW, you don’t have to be senile to misunderstand things.  Communication requires a sender and receiver of information, and for full communication a feedback loop.  Failure of the sender could be the issue, or anything else that causes lack of full communication.  This is why overhearing things often results in inaccurate information.  No one said you were senile or hard of hearing and it’s baffling you would take my comment personally as if you were hard of hearing or senile.  This isn’t about you, its about decades of research on communication.  That research shows that what you think you heard is probably wrong.  Elementary school kids learn this with the telephone game.  

10 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

There was a recent thread on CC about a young fellow who turned Pinnacle based on his on sailing.  I don't recall his age, but I'm sure someone else will recall.

I remember that too.  I think he was 8 or 10 or something like that.  I remember thinking "what a life that kid has lived!"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, topnole said:

You think anyone on CC could definitely confirm how accurate this rumor is?  We don’t work for Royal so no one here knows for sure.  Like I said, I’m 99+% that what you think you overheard is nonsense.   Of course I could be wrong.  

BTW, you don’t have to be senile to misunderstand things.  Communication requires a sender and receiver of information, and for full communication a feedback loop.  Failure of the sender could be the issue, or anything else that causes lack of full communication.  This is why overhearing things often results in inaccurate information.  No one said you were senile or hard of hearing and it’s baffling you would take my comment personally as if you were hard of hearing or senile.  This isn’t about you, its about decades of research on communication.  That research shows that what you think you heard is probably wrong.  Elementary school kids learn this with the telephone game.  

Geez, talk about taking comments personally!   Again, my post was to find out if anyone heard anything similar and could corroborate or refute.  There was no inaccuracy in what I heard or in my discussion with other people there.  If it is true, it will likely come to light soon enough.  If not, then it and this thread will fade way back in the pages in the coming weeks.  Have a great day.

3 minutes ago, Airbear232 said:

Geez, talk about taking comments personally!   Again, my post was to find out if anyone heard anything similar and could corroborate or refute.  There was no inaccuracy in what I heard or in my discussion with other people there.  If it is true, it will likely come to light soon enough.  If not, then it and this thread will fade way back in the pages in the coming weeks.  Have a great day.

I think there was inaccuracy in what you heard.  No one is saying it was your inaccuracy.  But I’m very confident that kids not getting points is inaccurate.  

I don’t think you understand what taking it personally means.  You referred to your hearing, mental state, etc. because I mentioned what you think you heard is wrong.  That’s clearly taking my comment personally.  I’m not exactly sure how me wondering why you took that personally is taking personal?

2 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I remember that too.  I think he was 8 or 10 or something like that.  I remember thinking "what a life that kid has lived!"

He was 7 years old.  His parents are travel agents/bloggers and have toted him around on all of the cruises.  The pinning ceremony was posted on you tube that occurred earlier this year.

On 6/5/2023 at 12:55 PM, Tree_skier said:

This sounds like a GS person who doesn't understand the existing program.  That makes no sense and would be the first loyalty program that I had ever heard of the disqualified minors from participating.  

Celebrity requires on to be 18 to register for a Captains Club number. Celebrity also awards differing points per night dependent on the price spent on your berth. (similarly to what someone postulated above having a tiered point system) 

It is not out of the realm of possibility to see a change like this, seeing as how the “mothership” is the same between each line

19 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Celebrity requires on to be 18 to register for a Captains Club number. Celebrity also awards differing points per night dependent on the price spent on your berth. (similarly to what someone postulated above having a tiered point system) 

It is not out of the realm of possibility to see a change like this, seeing as how the “mothership” is the same between each line

But Celebrity does not cater to kids and that is a big difference between the 2 sister companies.

RCL, even with their debt load, the stock is at $91.👍

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, nelblu said:

But Celebrity does not cater to kids and that is a big difference between the 2 sister companies.

Parents will bring their kids on a Royal cruise regardless of the kids getting points. 
C&A points for minors are the last things on a parent’s mind. 

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

56 minutes ago, nelblu said:

This is what I was going to post, or something similar.

OP, what you describe sounds like Celebrity.  Kids don't get points at all until 18 years old.  You can't even get a "Captain's Club" number until 18 years old.  On Celebrity, all those in one cabin get the status of the highest ranking person in that room, just for that cruise.

I asked about this because our 16 yr old son is Diamond on Royal, and we are sailing Celebrity in December.  He is in a room with his sisters (21 and 19) who are Emerald in their own right on Royal.  I called Celebrity to see if we would get the matching Elite status on Celebrity, but they said no because he's not 18 yet.

I believe what you heard is incorrect.  Minors are still accumulating their own points on Royal if they actually sail.  

Dan

15 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Parents will bring their kids on a Royal cruise regardless of the kids getting points. 

Don't ever assume.

17 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

1 hour ago, nelblu said:

Don't ever assume.

Yes, I agree. While not my first priority, I would be very upset if my kids didn't get credit for all the cruises they do. One of the things our family loves about Royal Caribbean are the nightly receptions in the Diamond lounge and it would be very disappointing if our family could no longer do that once the kids hit 18, even though both would have been on enough cruises to earn D+.

7 minutes ago, drb116 said:

Yes, I agree. While not my first priority, I would be very upset if my kids didn't get credit for all the cruises they do. One of the things our family loves about Royal Caribbean are the nightly receptions in the Diamond lounge and it would be very disappointing if our family could no longer do that once the kids hit 18, even though both would have been on enough cruises to earn D+.

But, interestingly, if they "inherited" your Diamond status on Royal (or had their own D+ status), they would be considered "Elite" on Celebrity, even without ever sailing on Celebrity.  So, it would seem if you want your child to get/retain status on Celebrity, you should only cruise Royal until they turn 18 to maximize their Royal status (at least to Diamond).  There is no benefit to your under 18 child (staus wise) on Celebrity, because they don't earn any points.  I assume this is what Celebrity intended.

2 hours ago, nelblu said:

Don't ever assume.

I don't think it is an assumption, the data is in the bookings.  

Royal has already established that you can change these "legacy policies" rather successfully, because 50% of each sailing is a new cruiser, and they don't know what they don't know.

But as is the case with all these discussions (which I love having) we will never know the plan until Royal decides we are to know.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Royal has already established that you can change these "legacy policies" rather successfully, because 50% of each sailing is a new cruiser, and they don't know what they don't know.

This is my point or intent when I post FAQs or Policies from the horse's mouth, for the most part.  RCCL and others can institute policies at will and have complete discretion in enforcing those policies.  They also end most or many of their policies with, "This policy can be changed or modified at any time without notice".  Or words to that effect.  I don't post about policies in an attempt to say that it is black and white, I only do it to warn others that even though you may get away with not following policies by the letter of the law or RCCL isn't enforcing that policy "TODAY", RCCL can and does from time to time enforce their policy(ies) by the letter of the law, per se, and without layman reason.  Those that, and I'm not aiming this at you personally, give advice Willy-nilly that say(s) "Oh, go ahead and do this or that because everybody does it" or "I've done it many times", without context, can be giving very bad advice without a disclaimer or actual policy quote, included in the advice/suggestion.  

29 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

But as is the case with all these discussions (which I love having) we will never know the plan until Royal decides we are to know.

That's for sure!

• Thanks 1