Does anyone know if or when lobstor or crab legs are served in the main (free) dining rooms on NCL?

tanjan4evr

9 hours ago, tanjan4evr said:

also if there is a up-charge and can you get 2nd's without paying extra?

@tanjan4evr

Thank you for your new topic on the Ask a Cruise Question forum! However, it is the forum for general questions regarding cruising. Your inquiry concerns a specific cruise line and is off topic there.

To help you out I have moved your new topic to the Norwegian Cruise Line forum where it will be on topic. The majority of your fellow Cruise Critic members that have sailed NCL frequent this forum and provide feedback here. Browse through the thread titles on this forum looking for threads of interest. You will probably find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that will be of interest to you.

Hope this will be helpful!

Happy sails,

Host Kat

Sorry, wrong cruise line. You can get a complimentary lobster tail in the main dining room on most other mass market lines like carnival, royal, and princess. But, not on NCL.

Don't think I've seen complimentary crab legs on any cruise line. Best bet would be to try princess to Alaska for crab legs.

2 hours ago, luv2kroooz said:

Sorry, wrong cruise line. You can get a complimentary lobster tail in the main dining room on most other mass market lines like carnival, royal, and princess. But, not on NCL.

Don't think I've seen complimentary crab legs on any cruise line. Best bet would be to try princess to Alaska for crab legs.

I had snow crab for the first time on Carnival Liberty - got 2 portions it was so good. 

that was quite a few years ago though 

• Like 1

I was recently on the Getaway. No crab legs or lobster in dining rooms. They did have lobster tails as part of the surf and turf at Cagneys for an upcharge.

The HAaen dining room had surf & turf though.

36 minutes ago, MoCruiseFan said:

The lobster on our CCL cruise was almost as nasty as their half cooked dripping with grease late night pizza.  Marine Corps boot camp food was far better than anything we ate on CCL.

No disagreement.  I've NEVER had good lobster on ANY cruise line.  They are either puny and flavorless.  Or, drenched in so much sauce that you'd be hard pressed to taste any lobster.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

No disagreement.  I've NEVER had good lobster on ANY cruise line.  They are either puny and flavorless.  Or, drenched in so much sauce that you'd be hard pressed to taste any lobster.

They’ll be Caribbean lobster rather than New England… much smaller and not as nice flavour 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Greener123 said:

They’ll be Caribbean lobster rather than New England… much smaller and not as nice flavour 

I had heard that.  And, it explains a lot.  Truth is, I think I can count on two fingers when I’ve had good lobster……anywhere.

I appreciate the opportunity to choose to have lobster or not when I sail Carnival, Royal, Princess and MSC. A staple on all lines except NCL, No Complimentary Lobster.. Of course, they are smaller, Caribbean lobster. It is nice to have a choice, and if I didn't like it, I would just pass it by on the menu and order something else. The choice is not available in NCL main dining rooms which is sad.

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

I had heard that.  And, it explains a lot.  Truth is, I think I can count on two fingers when I’ve had good lobster……anywhere.

Living in NH we probably eat lobstah a dozen times a year. We travel to the coast to purchase them, and they're literally right off the boat!

Our first cruise was on the Celebrity Summit in 2005 to Alaska. They made a big deal all week about all-you-can-eat lobster tails on the last night. Well, we're really looking forward to this, as you can imagine. Well, the tails turned out to be Caribbean rock lobster (or spiny lobster). They were inedible!! So we never entertain the thought of having lobster on-board. Not worth the trip, as they say.

A quick aside. There was one time we enjoyed real New England lobster on an NCL ship. We were on the Dawn somewhere around 2013 or 14. There was a huge glut of lobster on the market that year, and they were selling for obscenely low prices. NCL went out and bought what must have been a truckload of them. There was lobster, as much as you could eat, available in any venue for the first two days!! With no upcharge! One of the cruises we'll always remember!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Similar experience with lobster, much prefer crab, although did have an excellent surf and turf at a very nice restaurant in London a few years ago. 

my favourite though would be snow crab legs

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Greener123 said:

Similar experience with lobster, much prefer crab, although did have an excellent surf and turf at a very nice restaurant in London a few years ago. 

my favourite though would be snow crab legs

I'm with you.  I'll take crab legs over lobster, every time, all the time.  Although, I did have surf and turf (fillet plus lobster tail) on my last Bliss cruise to Alaska a few months ago.  It was actually quite good.  Still prefer crab legs, however.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2023 at 12:38 AM, fastpitchdad said:

Never. You can get a lobster tail with an upcharge with specialty dining restaurants or for free in the Haven restaurant. 

How often does the haven have lobster tail? I did not know this. 

30 minutes ago, fastpitchdad said:

Every day and you can get one (or more than one) with any meal.

Wow! Thank you - first time in a haven, only been in suites before so this is fantastic news. We love our lobster tail. 

26 minutes ago, COcruise said:

Wow! Thank you - first time in a haven, only been in suites before so this is fantastic news. We love our lobster tail. 

Don't be afraid to order whatever you want on the menu, then add a Lobster tail ....or two!

• Like 1

On 6/10/2023 at 11:22 AM, graphicguy said:

I'm with you.  I'll take crab legs over lobster, every time, all the time.  Although, I did have surf and turf (fillet plus lobster tail) on my last Bliss cruise to Alaska a few months ago.  It was actually quite good.  Still prefer crab legs, however.

add me to the crab list.  But not crab legs, whole crabs.  Blue crabs from the Chesapeake!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sand and Seas said:

Don't be afraid to order whatever you want on the menu, then add a Lobster tail ....or two!

Love it!! Will they do special requests for food off the menu? Planning to spend more time reading through this thread for tips but I’ll take any and all topics, especially food wise 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

add me to the crab list.  But not crab legs, whole crabs.  Blue crabs from the Chesapeake!!!

I learned how to pick crabs eating blues (my stepmother and father lived in Rockville) it made picking Dungeness really easy 🙂.