Size of Millennium Retreat lounge vs Beyond

zitsky

I’ve only been able to find one YouTube video about the Millennium Retreat lounge.  How comfortable is it?  It looks quite a bit smaller.  Does it get too crowded on sea days?

Also the Sun deck has hot tubs but you use the regular pool one deck below?

9 minutes ago, jelayne said:

It is smaller but keep in mind that the Beyond has about 175 suites and the M class around  50.

That’s good.  Fewer people to make fun of me for not booking a “real” suite.  😭

• Haha 1

The Retreat Lounge on Millenium and Summit leave a lot to be desired where I'm concerned.  The furniture is that revolutionized, Hoppen-style that makes for lovely photographs but very little comfort when seated.  There are folks who don't bother with it because of trouble sitting down and even more trouble getting up.  Reaching your drink on a table (where there one) can be . . . a chore.

The only time I saw either crowded was during the officers' reception or debarkation.

Frankly, I greatly prefer the Rendezvous.  Besides it being designed for folks to actually sit and enjoy themselves and a cocktail, it also doesn't have that tacky TV constantly showing X ads.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

Reaching your drink on a table (where there one) can be . . . a chore.

🤔 In the three videos I posted above there is a cocktail table at literally every singe seat. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, paulh84 said:

🤔 In the three videos I posted above there is a cocktail table at literally every singe seat. 

And many are essentially out of reach if you care to sit comfortably in any manner.

• Like 1

I have to say I prefer the MClass Retreat lounge.   Never seen it crowded except for the Officers Reception.   On an M-Class you will rarely see more than 6 people there.    Service is much more attentive.

The negative to both is the Kelly design with the most uncomfortable non-functional furniture that one can imagine.     Like tables for Tea that can't hold 2 cups of tea.    Chairs and bench seating  that are hard as concrete. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I have to say I prefer the MClass Retreat lounge.   Never seen it crowded except for the Officers Reception.   On an M-Class you will rarely see more than 6 people there.    Service is much more attentive.

The negative to both is the Kelly design with the most uncomfortable non-functional furniture that one can imagine.     Like tables for Tea that can't hold 2 cups of tea.    Chairs and bench seating  that are hard as concrete. 

Uncomfortable?  So why do you prefer M class?  Thanks.

Just now, zitsky said:

Uncomfortable?  So why do you prefer M class?  Thanks.

By the way Kelly designed the E-Class also and carried on her poor design.    Just ask anyone about the lamps over the tables.   You won't find many guests that haven't hit their heads at least once.     They have lots of Banket Seating -   unfortunately the backrests are too short and the railing hits you in the back.  

To me the M and S Class are a perfect size.   The E-Class and especially the newer ships you feel like your in United Airline Club in Chicago.     I also find that the service and attentiveness in the M and S are much more personalized where you feel just like a just one of many.

Personal perspective and there is no right answer.  

• Like 4

@Jim_Iain gave a good analysis of the differences between the classes. We prefer the M & S class retreat lounge to E class. Our only time on Edge we felt that there was no personal attention.  However, I've never hit my head on any of the light fixtures, too short for that kind of thing.

21 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

@Jim_Iain gave a good analysis of the differences between the classes. We prefer the M & S class retreat lounge to E class. Our only time on Edge we felt that there was no personal attention.  However, I've never hit my head on any of the light fixtures, too short for that kind of thing.

Are there light fixtures on M class?  Asking for a friend.

40 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

To me the M and S Class are a perfect size.   The E-Class and especially the newer ships you feel like your in United Airline Club in Chicago.     I also find that the service and attentiveness in the M and S are much more personalized where you feel just like a just one of many.

I agree with Jim's perspective here 100% and would echo the same comments about Luminae.

• Like 2

I haven't been on the revolutionized M class ships. I don't remember them pre revolution. I know there was one in the Edge PH over the coffee table that my husband was always bumping into.  Also in the Cafe on S class ships.  Again, never an issue for me. 🤩

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Also the Sun deck has hot tubs but you use the regular pool one deck below?

Millennium's sundeck has only one hot tub. You also need to go one deck below to use the rest room--assuming that's not why you were looking for the pool. That's another CC member.

• Haha 4

18 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Are there light fixtures on M class?  Asking for a friend.

NO -  They are unique to the E-Class -  From the picture you can see both the rail a couple inches above the pillows  as well as how you might hit your head if sitting at the banket and standing up.   No problem if facing the banket

CelDec-9952-1645975224.webp

Of all MC or Retreats. I like the M Class best. It is more intimate, better service, has a real bar. Easier to start up a conversation with other.  

The E Class Retreat to me seems cold and distant. 

Edited by bigbenboys
spelling
  • Like 1

We found the M Class retreat lounge to very quiet. Plenty of seating, small food area, and tucked away beverage service area.  It did have a very enclosed feeling.  The floor to ceiling windows in the E Class Retreat lounges are wonderful.  Stunning views!  However, the lack of a bar you can sit around indoors is a big miss.  Additionally, the elongated shape makes some of the space feel disconnected.  Our experience was that the concierge staff was much more engaging on the M and S class ships. Lots of Retreat space on E Class, but little congenial atmosphere.  I totally agree with all the Hoppen furniture comments.  Whether it’s in the Retreat, the cabins, outdoors, or the public areas, Kelly’s furniture is dysfunctional and uncomfortable.  

• Like 2

I have only sailed on Edge and did not enjoy the Retreat Lounge at all.  I agree 100% with @Jim_Iain about the furniture. We spent a lot of time in the Retreat Lounge on our last cruise on Millennium and while we really enjoyed relaxing there and talking with other guest, we also found it a nice quiet place to hang out.  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, bigbenboys said:

Of all MC or Retreats. I like the M Class best. It is more intimate, better service, has a real bar. Easier to start up a conversation with other.  

The E Class Retreat to me seems cold and distant. 

On BEYOND, our only Retreat experience....we thought the lounge space was a waste of space..under-utilized,   with a  tiny take out bar.  Could have made a nice sep area into a cozy library/ quiet reading space.  Hoppen should design dorms not cruise ships!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

By the way Kelly designed the E-Class also and carried on her poor design.    Just ask anyone about the lamps over the tables.   You won't find many guests that haven't hit their heads at least once.     They have lots of Banket Seating -   unfortunately the backrests are too short and the railing hits you in the back.  

Personal perspective and there is no right answer.  

I never felt that way on Beyond for 22 days; best service in the Retreat, deck 17 and Luminae.  It was phenomenal and  the suite concierges knew the answers to everything.  Never saw a line like I have on other E class ships when I was there.  However, my experience in Eden was below par.  I am on her for a Caribbean cruise in December, so that could be different, as I have not done a Caribbean cruise in a few decades.  Yes, personal perspective is quite an individual experience for sure.  Jim, I would think you would get the best service on any ship!  I was just blown away from my experience on Beyond, but understand that all ships are different and so have my previous experiences.  I booked Oceania for a TA in 2025 for that smaller ship experience and because it was going to Lisbon.  It will be interesting to compare, but I just want to see if a smaller ship has more positives, or maybe just different ones.

Edited by Lastdance

22 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

I booked Oceania for a TA in 2025 for that smaller ship experience and because it was going to Lisbon.  It will be interesting to compare, but I just want to see if a smaller ship has more positives, or maybe just different ones.

We were looking at that sailing also in the Spring 2025, but, as of now, the PH suites are all waitlsted.

We are interested in the same question you pose. Is a 1250 passenger ship for us or do we prefer 2900??? I guess the only way to find out is to do it, but I have this inherent hesitation to spend that much $$$ and not be sure. 

mac_tlc

Probably in the minority but I prefer the E class lounge vs S or M on the ships.  
We have found comfortable seating in the E class lounge and while the banquet seating wouldn’t be my choice to read a book I find it fine for sitting with a drink. I must be too short as the light fixtures haven’t been a problem.  The tables are a decent height so you can easily reach your drink and I like the windows and all the light  they let in.  

The lounge in unrevolutionized ships is too dark and filled with dark overstuffed furnishings and heavy drapes that give me a mental image of a smoky mens Club of a bygone time.  

The revolutionized M class are much brighter however I will agree that the chairs and tables are ridiculous and very few spots to sit and place a drink where you can reach it.

Of course decor like food is subjective, I prefer a contemporary decor with clean lines, light colors, minimal wood and no brick.  Others prefer traditional decor with with wood, darker colors, softer lines.  

I confess to having hit my head on the light on Beyond. We have not sailed M class in a suite, just S and E class. We prefer the entire E class Retreat experience better. Not really a fan of the windowless lounge on S class. It was on Equinox which had been revolutionized, so the furniture issue is a wash for our experiences. 

It was my first time in the Retreat on the Beyond, but I thought it was wonderful.  The oversized chairs by the windows were very nice.

On M class are there comfortable chairs by the windows?  I can’t quite tell by the videos I find.