Anxiety over Traveling with kids Birth Certificates

2 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

I’m pretty sure most private health insurance in the US can’t be used out of the country, we have Aetna, a pretty good plan, but always get travel insurance for medical.

True.  People should check with their carrier.   We have Kaiser Insurance and my plan covers me out of the country. 

2 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

I’m pretty sure most private health insurance in the US can’t be used out of the country, we have Aetna, a pretty good plan, but always get travel insurance for medical.

The Kaiser Permanente brochure on International Travel says they cover emergency care world wide. When I was on jury duty in the juror selection for a medical malpractice suit, jurors were asked who their provider was and more than half said Kaiser - so it seems that, at least in my area, many (most?) people have emergency medical coverage out of country. I had surgery and hospitalization for a compound fracture in Thailand. Submitted the receipt to Kaiser and they reimbursed everything but the hospital copay I would have had to pay if they treated it.

54 minutes ago, DrD said:

Neither is a cruise.  But the OP said she's anxious, so maybe for her it would be worth the money.

Yup.  And I was the first one to ask WHAT she's anxious about (which she hasn't answered).  All the others only answered "get them passports".  

29 minutes ago, DrD said:

Maybe I won't get a passport then 😉

Ya know, I really try to be good humored and not fly off the handle at stupid posts, but sheesh. My dad has since died from the cancer-caused brain lesions that caused his seizure on the ship. But funny. Ha ha.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cyntil8ing said:

Ya know, I really try to be good humored and not fly off the handle at stupid posts, but sheesh. My dad has since died from the cancer-caused brain lesions that caused his seizure on the ship. But funny. Ha ha.

I am so very sorry.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, rockmom said:

They are not needed--until they are, and you have to fly home, but you can't.  Because you or your child doesn't have a passport. Then you are dealing with the embassy and a whole lot of grief rather than getting home for whatever the emergency might be.  Very terrifying if you are ill or injured and would much prefer to be in the U.S. for care.  

No one has ever been on a cruise with a birth certificate and been unable to fly home. Don’t be overly dramatic. Find me the former American who was left behind in Nassau and forced to live his days as a Bahamian…

The fear-mongering is crazy. If that were truly a risk, the U.S. State Department wouldn’t allow cruising with a birth certificate. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, pyrateslife4me84 said:

No one has ever been on a cruise with a birth certificate and been unable to fly home. Don’t be overly dramatic. Find me the former American who was left behind in Nassau and forced to live his days as a Bahamian…

The fear-mongering is crazy. If that were truly a risk, the U.S. State Department wouldn’t allow cruising with a birth certificate. 

not fear mongering.  It does happen.  You do eventually get to fly, but you have to jump through a lot of hoops--such as working through the embassy. You aren't stuck there forever. But the time that you're there is on your own dime and as I said, it adds to the stress when you really need/want to get home if there's an emergency.  

And yes, over the years there have been several posts about this happening.  

Edited by rockmom

Just now, rockmom said:

not fear mongering.  It does happen.  You do eventually get to fly, but you have to jump through a lot of hoops--such as working through the embassy. You aren't stuck there forever. But the time that you're there is on your own dime and as I said, it adds to the stress when you really need/want to get home if there's an emergency.  

I had an injury on Grand Cayman and didn’t have a passport. It was no problem getting home. Quick phone call. Not every island even has an embassy. 

1 hour ago, rockmom said:

And yes, over the years there have been several posts about this happening.  

"Several" posts?  How many?  10?  20?  50?  Compared to the hundreds of thousands that DIDN'T have an issue?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

"Several" posts?  How many?  10?  20?  50?  Compared to the hundreds of thousands that DIDN'T have an issue?

As I said in my original post, you don't 'need' it, until you do.  Just like travel insurance.  Or earthquake insurance on your homeowner's policy--and a lot of other stuff where there's a very good chance you'll never need it.  But regret not having it if you're one of the few people who end up in a situation where you need it.  For an adult, the cost for a passport is $130 for 10 years.  If you renew at 9 1/2 years, that still less than $1.50 per month.  Since kids under 16 only have 5 year passports, the cost goes to just under $2 per month.  That's dirt cheap for some peace of mind when traveling, even if you only use your passport a few times over the span of its validity.  Literally pennies per day.  

• Like 1

On 6/22/2023 at 7:55 PM, Eddie Wilson said:

Having never cruised with toddlers, please help relieve my anxiety of documents required to embark. Leaving and returning to Seattle ... 

The person's age makes no difference.  If you're an American citizen and are leaving from /returning to an American port, you can sail with just a birth certificate. 

Well, I'm lying:  the age does make a difference because an adult also has to show a picture ID.  

On 6/22/2023 at 8:12 PM, RD64 said:

Simple solution - get them passports. Best form of ID.

"Best" is a subjective word.  

On 6/22/2023 at 8:57 PM, S.A.M.J.R. said:

... For the OP... what are you anxious about?  That you won't be allowed to board?  Assuming they are state issued, official birth certificates, you're fine ... 

Yes, about what are you anxious? 

22 hours ago, rockmom said:

yes, but at least if everyone has a passport, they can all get on a flight. 

Well, once the ship reaches an island they can try to get a seat.  Island airports are smaller and have fewer flights out.  And last minute flights will be expensive.  

22 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

... For the record, I have a passport and bring it when we cruise.  But I won't tell someone they HAVE to have one when they don't.  

Ditto for me.  

9 hours ago, Scottdalfonso said:

I hate that " if you can afford a cruise" thing everyone says. For me a cruise is a struggle, but we make it work. We pay it off over a long time and save a few bucks here to do it. Spitting out an extra 500 bucks isn't just chump change for people, even if they can "afford to cruise"  

Agree.  Just because I have money doesn't mean I'm going to spend it on this or that.  

8 hours ago, cyntil8ing said:

We staggered our passports so that we're not renewing them all the same year. If you go on a cruise each year, save an extra $10/month to get or renew a single passport each year ... 

I also don't buy into this line of thinking.  Whether you buy your passports one per year or all at the same time, the cost is the same.  In addition to the cost, you must consider the effort that goes into obtaining the passport:  It'd be less effort to get all your pictures and appointments at the same time.  

4 hours ago, rockmom said:

... And yes, over the years there have been several posts about this happening.  

I've been reading these boards two decades, and I remember one.  

13 hours ago, rockmom said:

As I said in my original post, you don't 'need' it, until you do.  Just like travel insurance.  Or earthquake insurance on your homeowner's policy--and a lot of other stuff where there's a very good chance you'll never need it.  But regret not having it if you're one of the few people who end up in a situation where you need it.  For an adult, the cost for a passport is $130 for 10 years.  If you renew at 9 1/2 years, that still less than $1.50 per month.  Since kids under 16 only have 5 year passports, the cost goes to just under $2 per month.  That's dirt cheap for some peace of mind when traveling, even if you only use your passport a few times over the span of its validity.  Literally pennies per day.  

I guess, when you look at it, that you can pay monthly, or even daily for it, it won't be that bad.  Oh wait, you can't?  

Is it a good thing to have?  Yes. 

Do I have one? Yes

Is it NEEDED?  No.

And if you go back to the OP's later response, it's not even her(?) kids. 

• Like 1

Having never cruised with toddlers, please help relieve my anxiety of documents required to embark. Leaving and returning to Seattle.

We went to county records department and have in hand official birth records.  

Thats it?  Just show them at pier?

Eddie

Yes.

But if you like and plan to travel with them, when they get older, just get the passports.  I used to do the birth certificates and after my youngest spilled a drink on one in a Cancun hotel, I decided to just get them for my younger 2.  2 more of my kids got them when they were over 16 and my oldest just got his at 32.  Yes it's expensive but I've done it both ways and this is much less stressful for travel.  

20 hours ago, DrD said:

Neither is a cruise.  But the OP said she's anxious, so maybe for her it would be worth the money.

There were anxious because they weren’t sure it was as simple just a BC being all you need for a child (and no ID needed).   They didn’t say they were anxious because they were worried about getting stuck somewhere without a passport.  

On 6/22/2023 at 5:55 PM, Eddie Wilson said:

Having never cruised with toddlers, please help relieve my anxiety of documents required to embark. Leaving and returning to Seattle.

Eddie

I cruised with the Grand kids last Sept. Just had birth certificates. No problem at all. 

21 hours ago, rockmom said:

If you are a family that has to save for years to travel though, the time that those passports are useful to you is much more limited.  For kids on a 7 night cruise (divided by 8 considering you are sailing for parts of 8 calendar days) it works out to $6.25 a day for a passport card and $16.88 for a passport book.  That's a lot more than pennies per day.  For me those per day amounts are worth the insurance, but I understand if other families feel differently.

• Like 1

@Eddie Wilson Hi Eddie - I took my 9 year old grandson to Alaska last year. I had a notorized letter giving me permission with all of the cruise details listed and I had an original copy of his birth certificate. Because we went into Canada I had to take his birth certificate with me on an outing and we did not get off the ship in Victoria, B.C. I had to show his birth certificate after picking up our luggage in Seattle and he was questioned by the officer about who I was to ensure I was grandma. I worried about all of this for several weeks and never really needed to. I am taking our 5 year grandson this year to Alaska and will take the same documentation. Don’t worry. Have fun!

Edited by techteach
typo

Our grandkids just sailed with us on birth certificates from Seattle to Alaska and back.

Zero hassle.  Had there been an emergency Alaska is still the US, there's absolutely no hand-wringing over flights home.  And yes, you can leave Canada without a passport and re-enter the US without a passport if its an emergency.

I have to laugh at the extent some people go to in justifying their own way of doing things......

My granddaughter has a passport, but couldn't find it.  So we went with the BC's.  Took a little longer at check-in but that was it.  We were 10 minutes later getting on board,and may need therapy for that 10 minutes not spent in the Windjammer.....

Edited by Lane Hog
  • Like 1

I worried about this for my cruise this past April. I’ve always sailed with my passport. It was a last minute cruise and did not have time to get one for my young child. Boarding was fine. He developed a 105 fever when we were docked in Mexico. We were able to control it with Tylenol so took him to the ship’s doctor. $185 later we had diagnosis of an ear infection and some amoxicillin. They gave me a great printed summary and it was the fastest reimbursement claim for travel insurance I’ve ever seen. 

On 6/22/2023 at 8:50 PM, RD64 said:

That’s because we are Canadian!  We don’t blink an eye at getting a passport - just a rite of passage for those of us from the Great White North. I had my first passport at four years old, and will be turning 59 this week. I have kept every one as a souvenir.

My parents - 85 and 84 years renewed their’s in April. They have no intention of travelling - but renewed “just in case” for the next ten years. Perhaps it is a European thing- we also have our EU passports “ just in case”.

For some reason there seems to be a hesitancy of our American counterparts - who seem to get very defensive at the very suggestion of getting a passport - let alone two.

As an American, pretty much everyone I know has a passport.  The only people I know that don't are my 85 year old parents who can't travel anymore so they let theirs expire.  Ours entire close and extended family have one.  They are worth the cost.  I think the people hesitant to pay for them are those that won't use them often and don't live where people travel a lot.  Here in the DC area, it's very common to travel internationally, both for work and pleasure.  I'm 63 and have had a passport since I was 23.  In fact, I just sent in my renewal about 6 weeks ago.  I just wish they'd go ahead and require them for all cruising so we could end this constant debate.  And before people start saying the cost is too much or whatever, people will get them if they need them. 

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BND said:

As an American, pretty much everyone I know has a passport.  The only people I know that don't are my 85 year old parents who can't travel anymore so they let theirs expire.  Ours entire close and extended family have one.  They are worth the cost.  I think the people hesitant to pay for them are those that won't use them often and don't live where people travel a lot.  Here in the DC area, it's very common to travel internationally, both for work and pleasure.  I'm 63 and have had a passport since I was 23.  In fact, I just sent in my renewal about 6 weeks ago.  I just wish they'd go ahead and require them for all cruising so we could end this constant debate.  And before people start saying the cost is too much or whatever, people will get them if they need them. 

I’ve lived 10 miles out of NYC my entire life, close to two major international airports, and know plenty of people who’ve never traveled internationally and don’t have passports - and that’s okay. I’m sure if they ever plan an international trip, they will just get passports. I can’t understand why folks care that other people don’t have passports.

• Like 1

Eddie

Take the official birth certificates to a local UPS store and have color copies made. We do this with all of our grandkids when we take them on cruises, and while they ask to see them when checking in, they have never blinked when we showed them the copies.