Question on Celebrity Cxling Cruises because of change in ships Deployment

bikerunner

I know this has happened before, celebrity redeploys a ship to different itineraries etc.  I am one of the lucky ones who just got screwed with Celebrity deciding to move the Beyond to Carribean for summer 24, instead of the European itinerary.  I was on the TA in April 24, what has celebrity done for the affected passengers overall who were bumped out of there cruise.  This one really annoys me as these itineraries have been released for 8-10 months Im guessing.  They should have switched it to the 25 season but whatever it happened.  Now figuring out what options I have.  TA is still waiting on Celebrity's letter/guidance on what is being done, this should have been in place beforehand as it is affecting many sailings and who knows how many customers.  

So I know I seen it before but cant find the topics,  does Celebrity offer anything besides, ohh we are sorry have an extra 100 obc etc if we switch.  

• Like 1

Just now, bikerunner said:

what has celebrity done for the affected passengers overall who were bumped out of there cruise.

TA is still waiting on Celebrity's letter/guidance on what is being done, this should have been in place beforehand as it is affecting many sailings and who knows how many customers.  

You answered yourself. "This should have been done beforehand" is being done now. You haven't been notified yet so you need to wait. Since these are cruises are canceled later in the game than normal the circumstances may be different. There are always a few people who get themselves into a rage and cancel things preimprtively then get mad when Celebrity won't offer them the same price protection. Don't do that. Give it a few days. 

• Like 1

Just now, paulh84 said:

You answered yourself. "This should have been done beforehand" is being done now. You haven't been notified yet so you need to wait. Since these are cruises are canceled later in the game than normal the circumstances may be different. There are always a few people who get themselves into a rage and cancel things preimprtively then get mad when Celebrity won't offer them the same price protection. Don't do that. Give it a few days. 

Ohh not doing anything, except wrote to executive office.  The short notice change is the thing that is just puzzling to me on the redeployment with the beyond but nothing I can do about that, this had to be in the works for a while.  

Hope you receive better than I have... I've only been bumped for chartered cruises, in my experience I was offered a few other sailing dates/options and the minimal OBC or take a refund.

This is what I suspect will follow in your case too but with it being a TA not sure what other sailing dates they'd come up with to be somewhat considered equal. 

Sorry this happened to you, 
Patty 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

Unless it is due to some mechanical issue, these changes are almost always handled 330+ days before sailing to avoid having to get involved in airline and lodging change/cancellation issues.

Not done, purchased the flight back last week, and have had flights down to Ft Lauderdale booked a while. The sailing was 300 days away for the TA or so.  

7 minutes ago, cw2go said:

Hope you receive better than I have... I've only been bumped for chartered cruises, in my experience I was offered a few other sailing dates/options and the minimal OBC or take a refund.

This is what I suspect will follow in your case too but with it being a TA not sure what other sailing dates they'd come up with to be somewhat considered equal. 

Sorry this happened to you, 
Patty 

My main issue is we had family meeting us after the cruise in Italy and had booked vrbo etc.  Not celebritys issue I know but lots of factors to deal with.  Do have an option that looking into but was looking forward to the Beyond and had an SV cabin for the TA.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bikerunner said:

Not done, purchased the flight back last week, and have had flights down to Ft Lauderdale booked a while. The sailing was 300 days away for the TA or so.  

It is quite unusual.  Will be interesting to see what is offered re: change and cancellations fees.

In the past they would offer to refund change fees but not too sure they will do that anymore since most airlines don't charge them.   The big issue is people could have booked non refundable air.   They generally do this type of thing more than 330 days prior to the sailing date to avoid the airline complications.   I do think it's pretty irresponsible to do this now for the sailings inside 330 days.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

Then there’s the “so sorry we overbooked that ship” in addition to mechanical excuses😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫

Or the "Sorry. We know this date has been available for a while, but we just chartered the ship." THAT is something I've been saying for a while should be done before itineraries are released to the public. Especially those that happen every year. Let your charter companies know the itineraries FIRST and they have to commit by say a week before the release to the public. After that, no charters.

But so far that's not happening either.

• Like 1

Royal Caribbean

ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS

Dear Guest,

At Celebrity Cruises, we are passionate about providing award-winning vacation experiences.  As we position our brand for continued success, we continuously seek opportunities to elevate our already incredible offerings.  With this goal in mind, Celebrity Cruises is pleased to announce we will be relocating Celebrity Beyond in 2024 from Europe to the Caribbean to join Celebrity Reflection, sailing year-round in the Caribbean from South Florida.  As a result, all Celebrity Beyond Transatlantic and European sailings scheduled to depart April 22, 2024 through November 1, 2024 will be cancelled.

At this time, we would like to offer you the choice of being re-accommodated on another Celebrity Cruises European vacation or receiving a 100% Refund.  From now through July 11, you have the option to modify your existing cruise vacation plans in the Mediterranean to another 2024 Transatlantic or European sailing on Celebrity Ascent, Celebrity Apex, Celebrity Constellation, or Celebrity Equinox sailing.  Please contact us or your travel agent for alternate sailing options and your reservation will be shifted at prevailing rates.  Should you choose to rebook, we will provide $100 onboard credit per stateroom, $200 onboard credit for Retreat accommodations, to spend any way you like onboard.

If you are unable to rebook by July 11, you will automatically receive a 100% refund to your original method of payment.  You can expect to receive a refund within 30 days after cancellation. Cruise taxes and fees would be refunded separately.  Please note, any reservation paid with a Future Cruise Credit will not be eligible for a cash refund; however, your Future Cruise Credit will be reinstated. No action is required on your part to receive this refund.

If you have pre-booked any shore excursions, beverage, internet, specialty dining or other onboard packages through Celebrity Cruise Planner, you will be refunded in full to your original method of payment.  Guests with air travel and hotel booked through Flights by Celebrity will be refunded automatically.  You will not need to call in to initiate the process.  Guests with independent excursions or air arrangements need to contact their air carriers directly to make all required modifications. For any airline flight change fees incurred, you may receive up to $350 per person reimbursement.  To receive reimbursement, we must receive a copy of the air change fees assessed.  Please email to refunds@celebrity.com

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Celebrity Cruises at 1-844-418-6824 in North America or (316) 554-5961 worldwide. We look forward to welcoming you aboard soon for an amazing Celebrity Cruises vacation.

Sincerely,
Celebrity Cruises

This is pretty poor customer service on what they are offering,  Not a big fan of Celebrity at the moment.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Their offer is ridiculous. Instead of my SS on Beyond for the 11/1/24 sailing for 14 days, I can elevate my cruise experience by paying almost $4000 more on Ascent for one less day.  The other TA options on Apex ( 2 less days) or Equinox (more money and not as desirable timeframe) are not comparable either. Oh, I forgot , l’ll get $200 OBC. 🙄🙄🙄

I can’t even book the 11/2 and 11/9 Beyond Caribbean sailings without paying more. For less days, and not a TA. 

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 4

The "prevailing rate" is, frankly a hefty slap in the face.

Veterans of close to a dozen situations like this (redeployment, charters, mechanical issues and like this one, "cuz we wanna,") the rebooking has been much smoother.  And nowhere near as costly, if at all.

At least there is a airline change fee adjustment.  Of course, if you have non-refundable lodging booked, you are likely out of luck.

• Like 3

Yes there has historically always been a few alternate sailings offered where they protect the rates.  This is really not right.   I could probably understand them not protecting rates on the Ascent as it's a new ship but I would think you should be able to switch to any other TA with a prorated per day rate protected.    I'd definitely be flooding the executive office with this request.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, wrk2cruise said:

Yes there has historically always been a few alternate sailings offered where they protect the rates.  This is really not right.   I could probably understand them not protecting rates on the Ascent as it's a new ship but I would think you should be able to switch to any other TA with a prorated per day rate protected.    I'd definitely be flooding the executive office with this request.

Exactly what I have done.  My TA is pissed off too.  This is completely unacceptable. with these itineraries being released 8-10 months ago.  Whichever, I have 2 options for my TA now, Will do the Silhouette TA that leaves the April 22nd also, which is not even listed on the letter....ends in Amsterdam then fly over to rome the next day to meet our friends and family for the extended stay or looking at the virgin voyages cruise on the Scarlett lady TA next April.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, bikerunner said:

Exactly what I have done.  My TA is pissed off too.  This is completely unacceptable. with these itineraries being released 8-10 months ago.  Whichever, I have 2 options for my TA now, Will do the Silhouette TA that leaves the April 22nd also, which is not even listed on the letter....ends in Amsterdam then fly over to rome the next day to meet our friends and family for the extended stay or looking at the virgin voyages cruise on the Scarlett lady TA next April.  

I am seriously bothered for you!

So many cruisers got a ship upgrade ~Reflection to Beyond~ at no additional cost as should be...BUT... those booked on the TA's are expected to rebook at an escalated cost. This is so messed up! It's as if they knew airfare could possibly have certain cruisers locked in without a way out. 

So Sorry but I honestly feel that you've got this and will prevail! 

Patty 

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, cw2go said:

I am seriously bothered for you!

So many cruisers got a ship upgrade ~Reflection to Beyond~ at no additional cost as should be...BUT... those booked on the TA's are expected to rebook at an escalated cost. This is so messed up! It's as if they knew airfare could possibly have certain cruisers locked in without a way out. 

So Sorry but I honestly feel that you've got this and will prevail! 

Patty 

Thanks, in truth Im going to save money because of my TA deals.  WE booked the Beyond thru TA but his block of rooms did not include the SV's rooms that we had booked so had paid celebs price, wanted a balcony and suites were outrageous.  I still wanted to be on the beyond as not have done E class yet.  It's more the bother and issue the short notice redeployment and the pitiful compensation that is being offered.  

• Like 1

We, too, were hit with this mess. DH and I were booked on the Beyond for the Adriatic sailing next May. I had booked a non-refundable deposit and had applied several FCC's to this cruise. I learned of the redeployment here 4 hours before I received the e-mail from Celebrity. I then spent 2 hours on hold before a rep answered. Bottom line, the only thing "offered" was to waive the non-refundable penalty--I said "You have to be kidding, you think that's being generous??? I didn't cancel this cruise, Celebrity did." Good grief.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, MustBCruzn said:

We, too, were hit with this mess. DH and I were booked on the Beyond for the Adriatic sailing next May. I had booked a non-refundable deposit and had applied several FCC's to this cruise. I learned of the redeployment here 4 hours before I received the e-mail from Celebrity. I then spent 2 hours on hold before a rep answered. Bottom line, the only thing "offered" was to waive the non-refundable penalty--I said "You have to be kidding, you think that's being generous??? I didn't cancel this cruise, Celebrity did." Good grief.

Sorry to hear and definitely understand, have.a call with my TA tomorrow around 9 to go over options.  Also glad to see that I think the new president is on a cruise right now in Alaska.  Guess one way to run away and avoid the crap this new announcement made.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bikerunner said:

Sorry to hear and definitely understand, have.a call with my TA tomorrow around 9 to go over options.  Also glad to see that I think the new president is on a cruise right now in Alaska.  Guess one way to run away and avoid the crap this new announcement made.  

Yes she is and Capt. Kate of The Beyond is with her. Coincidence... maybe? 😉

Patty

This would really piss me off if it were happening to me. I was on Beyond’s transatlantic in the fall of 2022 booked over a year in advance. I consider myself lucky now my sailing wasn’t cancelled like those in 2024 are. To discover the cost to move to another ship, because of circumstances beyond my control, could exceed $5,000 doesn’t seem fair or right. I would really be furious. 
This reminds me of the “Seinfeld” episode in the restaurant: Celebrity “knows how to take a reservation but they don't seem to know how to keep a reservation.”

• Like 1

Just when you think there can't be any more bad news like the double booking on the Japan cruises, they wilfully inflict another round of pain on their customers...

Hard to have any confidence in future cruise bookings when they are making major changes like this within the 330 day window for airline reservations...

• Like 1