Caribbean Princess Reviews (in the Caribbean)

latebuyer

I got a good deal for a caribbean cruise that goes to San Juan, Princess Cays, Amber Cover and Grand Turks. However, because i am paying airfare from Vancouver too i want to be sure its worthwhile for the money.

Recent reviews on cruise critic weren't great for the caribbean princess. How has people's experience been?

I prefer to just walk around town then go to beaches. I thought San Juan and Puerta Plata were good places to go but i'm not sure what is at Grand Turks.

Someone complained the princess cays you had to take a boat there?

Thanks for sharing your experience.

• Like 1

Some here will say the Caribbean is their favorite Princess ship. Some will tell you it is too old for their tastes. True, it is a unique build. Also true it has the least space per passenger of any Princess ship.

From what you write, sounds like what is important to you is port experiences and the ship simply a conveyance. If that is your priority, I think you'll really enjoy yourself, whichever ship you sail.

Yes, Princess Cays is a tender port. For those with mobility challenges, tenders are a problem. Using a tender is just part of cruising. Personally, I find them fun. Return to the ship early to avoid lines at the dock, which seems to be the main complaint.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, latebuyer said:

I got a good deal for a caribbean cruise that goes to San Juan, Princess Cays, Amber Cover and Grand Turks. However, because i am paying airfare from Vancouver too i want to be sure its worthwhile for the money.

Recent reviews on cruise critic weren't great for the caribbean princess. How has people's experience been?

I prefer to just walk around town then go to beaches. I thought San Juan and Puerta Plata were good places to go but i'm not sure what is at Grand Turks.

Grand Turk is beautiful.  Definitely a beach day.  Beaches on both side of the ship coming into the dock.  You can walk around a little, a few shops.  

San Juan is fun too.  We always go to Old San Juan, you’re right there.  Go to Fort El Morro too, if you haven’t been there.  

Princess Cays is a laid back beach day, free PCL BBQ on the beach.  We like the bungalows that you can rent on the PCL excursions, a little pricey, but convenient. Or just hang out on the beach, have lunch and return to the ship.  Yes, they do use tenders to the pier. Not that far, very well organized.

We enjoy Caribbean Princess and the crew.  We spent 6 weeks on her last year and did not have problems.  She’s a smaller ship, has a promenade on deck 7, if you like to walk and had a great time.  JMO

• Like 1

San Juan, you dock right in Old Town, great to explore the city. If you're wanting beach, you'll need transportation to any of those. 

Amber Cove is a purpose built cruise port. No beach in reasonable walking distance - maybe the one outside the port to the left, but you'd have.long walk out of the port, then back down. The port itself has a large pool, restaurant and bar, shops, water activities (no beach, but pier), zip line, etc.. otherwise, you'll need transportation to any beaches.  

Grand Turk is one big beach. Very little except beach, watersports, some restaurants. Margaritaville with a huge pool, etc is right at the end of the pier, typical Margaritaville food and drinks, chairs at the beach are free, etc. or take a 10 minutes walk to your left down to Jack's Shack for more local cuisine and atmosphere (quieter overall), chairs for rent, etc. Long, long stretch of beach. 

Princess Cays is a private Princess port. Basically, a beach day. BBQ lunch provided at port. Tender boat over and back.. bars where either your drink packages work or drinks are charged to room account. Fee chairs. Some water activities available. No town to walk to..

For beach, it's half and half - great, not so great. 

CB is a lovely one off type ship for Princess. mtnesterz covered it well.   It is well maintained, but it's just a little different than any of the others.  Extra deck of cabins over other grand class ships, kids splash pad, Skywalkers still in the original aft position (shopping cart look), etc.  Like any ship, lovers and haters and everything in between! 

I e sailed her 5 times and have a 6th coming up in the fall. She's not my favorite (Regal holds that spot), and she's not shiny a d new and latest and greatest,  and but she's a  ovely older ship and I'm looking forward to a great time...    

• Like 1

Thank you for the responses and snoozecrooze for posting that thread. It seems responses are generally positive but i am concerned about reports of air conditioning and plumbing issues as well as the speed at which princess responds to them.

I have never had problems on the Caribbean Princess and I have been on her 3 times and leaving for a 4th this Saturday.  I love the Promenade deck, and while it is smaller than some other ships I always feel they do crowd dispersal quite well.  I never felt crowded in, except maybe when waiting to ender the MDR at peak times. I also love their Lido Deck pizza and the Sanctuary.

the CB was severely understaffed when sailing at 100% capacity over Thanksgiving.  being said - we have another cruise booked on CB at the end of October - we'll see if it goes better - hopefully so

3 hours ago, latebuyer said:

You say that you like to walk around town and then go to the beach. Sounds like you have it covered wherever you go.

Thank you for the responses and snoozecrooze for posting that thread. It seems responses are generally positive but i am concerned about reports of air conditioning and plumbing issues as well as the speed at which princess responds to them.

Seems like you're doing your homework....I've read those other threads too but not memorized them, seems the A/C and Plumbing issues are largely concentrated on a certain deck...I want to say Caribe balconies but again, I haven't memorized those threads.  Read closely and try to avoid the areas identified in those reviews. Nothing's ever a guarantee but seems like that would up your odds.

I've sailed twice in the past and slated to sail her again on Halloween.  Always Dolphin Minis.  Never had a problem.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, amanda384 said:

I have never had problems on the Caribbean Princess and I have been on her 3 times and leaving for a 4th this Saturday.  I love the Promenade deck, and while it is smaller than some other ships I always feel they do crowd dispersal quite well.  I never felt crowded in, except maybe when waiting to ender the MDR at peak times. I also love their Lido Deck pizza and the Sanctuary.

Looking forward to my next cruise on the 8th.  I have been on the caribbean princess a couple of times and realize she is not new and shiny.  BTW we live close by in Hauppauge.

17 hours ago, amanda384 said:

Amanda, we board on July 22 heading to Canada from FLL.....if you get a moment on your cruise would you share your thoughts and observations after boarding?  thanks and have a safe and enjoyable cruise!

20 hours ago, latebuyer said:

To me, Princess Cay, Amber Cove, Grand Turk are basically beach days, but you could walk around some and shop at Amber Cove and Grand Turk.  Princess Cay is indeed a tender port.  I am to the point where I may consider staying on board next time I visit Princess Cay and enjoying the ship. Have not been on Carribean Princess so cant comment, but have been looking at her due to the lower price points. Gets very mixed reviews. 

Edited by Buckeye10640

We sailed CB in March with no problems.  It never felt crowded outside of the coffee lines in the morning.  Everything for us was in working order although there was an occasional sewage smell on deck 8. Honestly, plumbing issues can crop up anywhere on any ship. They are caused by passengers.  If reported, they can be dealt with quickly.  Likewise bugs.  These are not permanent problems waiting for dry dock to correct.  I was more concerned to read about engine and a/c issues.  But we did like the ship and would sail her again, probably after the move to Port Canaveral.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BamaVol said:

We sailed CB in March with no problems.  It never felt crowded outside of the coffee lines in the morning.  Everything for us was in working order although there was an occasional sewage smell on deck 8. Honestly, plumbing issues can crop up anywhere on any ship. They are caused by passengers.  If reported, they can be dealt with quickly.  Likewise bugs.  These are not permanent problems waiting for dry dock to correct.  I was more concerned to read about engine and a/c issues.  But we did like the ship and would sail her again, probably after the move to Port Canaveral.

I would have liked to have seen Princess put a Royal class ship at Port Canaveral.  the CB is 'just OK' I guess - but that is based on our last cruise over Thanksgiving when it was 100% and seriously understaffed.

Lots of options for cruisers out of Port C - bigger, newer, shinier - maybe a one and done for the CB?

9 minutes ago, voljeep said:

I would have liked to have seen Princess put a Royal class ship at Port Canaveral.  the CB is 'just OK' I guess - but that is based on our last cruise over Thanksgiving when it was 100% and seriously understaffed.

Lots of options for cruisers out of Port C - bigger, newer, shinier - maybe a one and done for the CB?

Could be the final voyages of the CB.  I hope not.  We are about to take our second Grand class ship this fall.  I like smaller ships.  I really want a full promenade for daily walks.  Sometimes the best competition is an alternative.  I do realize that Orlando visitors looking to extend a land vacation at sea might not be impressed by the Caribbean Princess.  Good.  Even though I expect and hope that the pricing will be lower than the competition (except MSC) in order to entice that demographic.  There are lots of older full time central Florida residents who will be thrilled to have the CB sailing out of our back yard.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BamaVol said:

Could be the final voyages of the CB.  I hope not.  We are about to take our second Grand class ship this fall.  I like smaller ships.  I really want a full promenade for daily walks.  Sometimes the best competition is an alternative.  I do realize that Orlando visitors looking to extend a land vacation at sea might not be impressed by the Caribbean Princess.  Good.  Even though I expect and hope that the pricing will be lower than the competition (except MSC) in order to entice that demographic.  There are lots of older full time central Florida residents who will be thrilled to have the CB sailing out of our back yard.

build an express lane with charging stations for the Villages golf cart crew - and you got yourself a convoy.  I've read 'stories' about 'those people' and their 'lifestyles' - good for them🤩

3 minutes ago, voljeep said:

build an express lane with charging stations for the Villages golf cart crew - and you got yourself a convoy.  I've read 'stories' about 'those people' and their 'lifestyles' - good for them🤩

Much of what you find on the internet about The Villages is urban myth and pretty easily debunked.

What is true is that it is the fastest growing metro area in the US.  I used to tell people I lived 10 miles south of TV.  Four years later, I have to tell folks I live 2.5 miles east of TV.  I am no fan of the developer.  But, in my book, folks are folks.  There are plenty of nice people living there.  It probably has the same ratio of good people to jerks as any Princess cruise you’ve taken.  Too pricy for my budget.  But as a non-Villager, I can still take advantage of some of the benefits they offer without living there.

• Like 1

Sorry to open an old thread. It looks like you can go to puerta plata from amber cove. Is that not worthwhile? I guess i'm more a historical person then beach goer and right now this is sounding like a beach cruise. I will check out amber cove topic as well.

2 hours ago, latebuyer said:

Sorry to open an old thread. It looks like you can go to puerta plata from amber cove. Is that not worthwhile? I guess i'm more a historical person then beach goer and right now this is sounding like a beach cruise. I will check out amber cove topic as well.

With 1.1k posts I'd say you have a few cruises under your belt. You may know this already but go to the "ports of call" area and check for more information there for the ports you will be stopping at. 

I will be on the Caribbean with my daughter and her family next April. She was very excited that there was an excursion at Amber Cove where you can see squirrel monkeys. In San Juan we will do one of the two forts. Haven't decided which yet. Grand Turk we will wander around the port for a little bit but definitely beach time. The grandkids are 3, 6 & 9.

Every cruise and every ship are what you make of it and experience. Every cruise is an adventure.  As long as your expectations aren't over the rainbow and you can roll with some of the punches it will be a good time. You might be having a so so day and watch a beautiful sunset at sea.

Have a great time.

I have a few more questions about the caribbean princess. Is there a nice place indoors to read, preferably with an ocean view? How are the pools? Is there enough room for everyone there? Are their lines for dinner? I’m still making up my mind!

4 hours ago, latebuyer said:

I have a few more questions about the caribbean princess. Is there a nice place indoors to read, preferably with an ocean view? How are the pools? Is there enough room for everyone there? Are their lines for dinner? I’m still making up my mind!

We were on a full ship and there were still uncrowded places. It depends on the time of day and scheduled activities. I did find the pools quite busy, especially on sea days. I’ve never been on a ship that had adequate pool space if everyone wanted to use them at the same time. The quietest inside place on the ship with nice views was Skywalkers nightclub. Dinner lines were nothing intimidating if you went early or late. 

Edited by BamaVol
  • Like 3

For the Caribbean, the mesh pool/beach floats are a game changer. They arrive flat so easy to pack and blow up.

used them in Grand Turk

Princess Cays

St Maarten 

They look like this

https://www.amazon.com/Upgrated-Hammock-Multi-Purpose-Non-Stick-Material/dp/B0C946BBSW/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?crid=WBSCXGGQXV4M&keywords=Pool+Float+4+Pack+mesh&qid=1689600427&sprefix=pool+float+4+pack+mesh%2Caps%2C158&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9zZWFyY2hfYXRm&psc=1

• Thanks 1