Live from Britannia

Selbourne

8 hours ago, TigerB said:

Another good report, young man.👍

It sounds like your missus is just like mine, a veritable magpie. Not just with the glittery stuff either. I mean, how many handbags does one person need?  I sometimes hark back to the days when she was in a manual chair, and I could steer her away from potential financial danger. 

In the Caribbean a few years agon, I can't remember which island we were on, either Curacao or Aruba, but we went a different way back to the ship, and she missed going in the Tiffany shop. I then promised her that she could fill her boots when we got to Barbados; it turned out that the shop I thought was there was not. My relief didn't last long though; it cost me dearly a few months later when we were in the US.🙄

I too really enjoyed the sea bass in the banana leaf when we were last on Britannia. Unfortunately, you won't be able to have it when you are on Iona next month; they, like Arvia, don't serve serve main dishes; everything is trio this and trio that.

I recall the accessible transfers being good in Copenhagen. To be best of my recollection, when we were ready to return, the mini bus was not on that street where we were dropped off; it was parked nearby. An agent got on her radio and, hey presto, it appeared.

The one thing about Copenhagen that was really annoying were the abandoned bikes on the footpaths on some of the side streets. More than a couple of times, I had to move them.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise. I'll be interested to hear about Skagen; we've not been there before.

A woman can never have too many handbags 😂

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, 9265359 said:

Well an abbreviated stop at Skagen tomorrow from a full day to just the morning (assuming we do actually stop) as the high winds are due to reach us tonight and tomorrow. 

I did the seven night Princess cruise to Oslo Copenhagen and Skagen in July 2019, we were two hours late into Copenhagen as two tugs had to literally push us in against the wind. Then we missed Skagen altogether due to the high winds. Hope you get there!

11 hours ago, Selbourne said:

DAY 9 (Copenhagen)

We were woken by severe vibration caused by the aft thrusters as we docked in Copenhagen, vibration that was so severe that I half expected to hear the crash of toiletry items falling to the floor in the bathroom 😂 On our previous calls we had berthed at Langelinekaj terminal, which is near the Little Mermaid statue and an easy walk along the waterside to all the sights. This time we have berthed around 3 miles further out of the city centre at the Ocean Cruise terminal. 

We had a leisurely breakfast in the MDR. As we have been to Copenhagen a few times before, and this is a 2 day stop, we decided to chill during the morning and go ashore after lunch once the exodus had subsided. 

Lunch was in the Glasshouse, just our 2nd visit this cruise. The speciality restaurants have all now changed their menus for the 2nd week and I was delighted to see that my favourite pre-Covid Glasshouse meal (Sea Bass wrapped in banana leaf with a curried prawn & veg broth & rice) still featured, and it was just as good as I remembered it. I washed this down with a large Money Spider white wine from our favourite wine producer D’Arenberg. If you’ve never had it, try it! My wife had the small plates again and enjoyed them. We skipped desert and had a hot drink with a freebie slice of banana bread in Java (the on-board Costa). 

At this point I would like to praise the excellent provision that P&O made for disabled passengers in Copenhagen re accessible shuttles. Horizon had mentioned a “limited accessible shuttle service” so we were delighted to see 3 accessible minibuses waiting at the quayside when we disembarked. It took quite a while to get going with all the required securing of the wheelchair with various straps, but we had the vehicle to ourselves for the 15 minute drive into the city centre. By the time we had alighted from the minibus the Money Spider and large Americano were necessitating a pit stop. We weren’t far from the main shopping area, so we walked along the main pedestrianised drag looking for a likely place that would have a loo. After a few failed attempts we entered a posh department store called Illum. 

Whilst this was a successful call from a bladder relieving perspective, it almost became an extremely costly one. Once we had availed ourselves of the facilities and were heading towards the exit, the familiar sign of Lady Selbourne’s favourite jewellers caught her eye. My wife never asks for anything and doesn’t even like shopping but, during the 30 plus years that we have been together, I have bought her a number of pieces from this brand. So whilst most visitors to Copenhagen are content with a stroll around Tivoli, I suddenly found myself having to make an unscheduled stop at the similar sounding, but slightly more expensive, Tiffany!

My hopes of a quick pass through were scuppered when the obviously highly trained sales advisor spotted my wife’s Tiffany necklace and pounced. My attempts at saying that we’d only popped in to use the loo fell on deaf ears. I didn’t get a look in as she then proceeded to suggest various pieces that my wife might also be interested in. After about 6 different pieces were shown, and my wife had replied that she already owned each of them, I thought that I’d be able to steer the wheelchair towards the exit, but unfortunately the exact opposite happened. The advisor clearly decided that this was a serious Tiffany customer and invited us over to a seating area where champagne was offered and hors d’oeuvres produced. A gold bracelet with a couple of tiny diamonds was placed on my wife’s wrist and great emphasis placed on the fact that we could reclaim the 17.5% tax at the cruise terminal. I could see that my wife liked it, and as this year marks a milestone birthday and our 30th wedding anniversary I said that I would buy it for her if she really liked it. Mercifully, when the UK equivalent price of just over £4,000 was revealed, my wife responded with “well I like it, but I don’t like it that much”. That’s my girl! I thanked the assistant for her time and headed for the exit at an unseemly speed 😂 

I was aiming for the picturesque Nyhavn area, but in my haste to put as much distance between ourselves and the Illum store as I could before my wife changed her mind, I had turned the wrong way along the waterfront! Thankfully I realised that things didn’t look right so I asked a local who pointed me in the right direction. We walked all the way up towards the Little Mermaid but by this time we were some considerable distance from the shuttle drop off point and it was 25 degrees. By luck we saw a cab and although it cost us £30 with a tip we were back on the ship 15 minutes later and I couldn’t get my credit card back in the safe quick enough 😂

We had pre-dinner drinks in the Crystal Room whilst listening to the resident singer Angelika, who was this time accompanied by the ships orchestra. As we left I spotted DaiB in the Glasshouse, so we had an enjoyable chat for half an hour with him and his lovely wife before we went for a really nice dinner in the MDR. We had been due to dine in the Beach House, but have cancelled our 2nd and 3rd visits, not because of the food (which was superb) but because of the ambiance. Screaming babies and noisy youngsters who had been kept up far too late had somewhat spoiled our first visit, so we didn’t want to risk a repeat. Both of us enjoyed all 3 courses in the MDR very much and we were called to our table within a few minutes of requesting it on the app. Progress indeed, although the MDR was near empty with many passengers being ashore for evening tours. So yet another very enjoyable day on our 14 day trip around Scandinavia. 

Great report again Selbourne, loved the Tiffany story! How much?! 😱

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, lincslady said:

I have always thought that it is logical to put cream on top of jam, but not the other way round; surely jam would not stick easily on top of cream?

Butter, them cream, then jam

20230517_131316.jpg

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Yes, I believe it’s pronounced Scane

It seems to be more like Skeen, but…

Anyway despite the Captain saying we were docking at 7.30 we haven’t and Google maps shows we have sailed past and up around the tip and are now heading down the opposite side to Skagen so no idea what is happening. 

Edited by 9265359

Just now, Purdey16 said:

Oh dear , I sorry for you all missing Skagen I hope everything is ok .

Pretty calm day, with sun occasionally peeking out from behind the clouds. 

But with the high winds due to arrive later at Skagen the Captain was advised by the pilot that getting out of port was going to be dubious so sensibly gave it a miss. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, lincslady said:

I have always thought that it is logical to put cream on top of jam, but not the other way round; surely jam would not stick easily on top of cream?

It doesn't. Proof?

One very refined tea room, one clotted cream scone with jam, one ruined white silk blouse and one very embarassed lady. Me.

Avril

• Like 1
  • Haha 14

23 hours ago, elmsliebev said:

Copenhagen is on my list of places to go, even more so now I know where Tiffany is! I'm a fan as well. Never been offered champagne though, a mere offer to clean the necklace I was wearing is as far as I've got. I'm thoroughly enjoying reading your reports, thank you. 

Surely buying expensive jewellery in Scandinavia is not cost-effective? With their high prices and the duty you would have to pay to bring it into the UK it would be cheaper to buy here?

15 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Nooooo! Jam first. Great shame that with the abolition of afternoon tea on P&O, your only option is squirty ‘cream’ in the buffet 🤮 😂 

Last summer on Aurora there were little dishes of a nice thick cream. No clots in it and you needed to take two for one scone but it definitely wasn't whooshy cream...

On 7/14/2023 at 7:38 AM, DamianG said:

Another great update and particularly lovely to see the photos of Vigeland Park which we’ve visited a few times in the past. It’s very different in winter but equally spectacular especially if there is snow around. 
We had a similar tram problem in Rotterdam until I fortunately found an actual paper ticket machine but only in a station.

Im ashamed to admit I have used a tram in Rotterdam without paying 🤪

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 9265359 said:

And Skagen is now cancelled. Should have stayed in bed. 

Shame, sorry to hear that.

Remember to get a missed port confirmation letter from reception to facilitate an insurance claim.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Britboys said:

Surely buying expensive jewellery in Scandinavia is not cost-effective? With their high prices and the duty you would have to pay to bring it into the UK it would be cheaper to buy here?

of course, though I have bought in the USA before. My reply was pretty much tongue in cheek. 

• Like 1

On 7/17/2023 at 12:04 PM, Britboys said:

I’ve since checked. It would have been a lot cheaper in Copenhagen once the tax was deducted, but she seems to have cooled on the idea 😥 😂 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

DAY 10 (2nd day in Copenhagen)

Brace yourself for a long update as this post covers 3 days!

I have mentioned a couple of times that we have noisy cabin neighbours one side of us whose kids thud around the cabin continuously. Furthermore, I have come to the conclusion that we are about the only people in our zone who don’t just let the cabin door slam shut every time we come and go, whatever the time of day or night it is. However, it could be worse. 3 or 4 cabins away from us is a suite occupied by a young family, and the youngest has a hell of a set of lungs and screams blue murder for prolonged periods every day. I feel so sorry for those who splashed out on Suites and ended up either side of this family!

When we returned to our starboard side cabin the previous night, I mentioned to my wife that I thought that I could hear

music, but thought no more of it. However, when we were in the lift going down to breakfast a lady mentioned that she’d barely had an hours sleep due to a noisy party on the quayside (port side). I said that I shouldn’t imagine that this was anything to do with the ships crew, as they wouldn’t be allowed, but she claimed that a steady stream of them had rejoined the ship at 4.30am when it eventually finished. She didn’t seem like the sort of person who would exaggerate or make things up, but this really surprised me. 

Then finally at breakfast, the couple on the next table mentioned that they had been disturbed in the early hours a few nights earlier by noise near their cabin that went on for some considerable time. I guess that all of this puts our noisy cabin neighbours into perspective, as we are at least sleeping OK! 

We didn’t feel the need to get off a second day running in the same port, so we had a relaxing day on the ship whilst it was quiet. The sun was on our balcony all day, so my wife was quite content sitting out there reading. Ships would pass occasionally and it was also interesting watching the sea plane landing. 

Yet another very pleasant lunch in the Peninsular restaurant (we haven’t had a bad one yet) and a nice chat with a couple on the next table who are doing a back to back with the next cruise to the Med. As usual, none of daytime entertainment even remotely appealed, so we watched another film on the cabin TV prior to our sail-away. The Captain announced that due to predicted high winds, our departure from Skagen the next day could be challenging at our scheduled departure time so, as a result, we were going to arrive an hour earlier in the morning and only do a half day visit, leaving at 12.30pm. Not a problem for us as we’ve been before and it’s a small place that is just a 10 minute walk from the berth. 

In the evening we enjoyed pre-dinner drinks in the Crows Nest, prior to our 3rd dinner in Epicurean, which was our first visit with the new menu. I’m delighted to report that this was another first class experience. I didn’t particularly enjoy my pulled duck leg and caviar starter, but that was personal choice rather than poor cooking. My wife had the King Prawn and Octopus starter, which she enjoyed. For the main we both had fillet of beef with ox cheek. The ox cheek was a bit like stewing steak but the actual steaks were great. Following @rollingwheels feedback from Epicurean on Iona, I asked if the chef could cut my wife’s steak up for her in order to save me having to do it at the table and they obliged without hesitation. The pre-dessert was the famous blackcurrant and white chocolate lolly, so we now realise why we didn’t have it last week as it’s a different pre-dessert for each menu. Gorgeous. We praised it so much we got a second one each 👍 As for the actual dessert, there was no debate whatsoever. Graham’s photo of the white chocolate sphere with popcorn, candy floss and other sweet treats was firmly in my mind. Wow! That was fabulous. I will happily have that again on our final night 😂 

We haven’t attended that many evening shows, but there’s a new group of 3 male singers called Remixed who have joined today, so we went to the first of their 2 shows. It was OK, but as with all these performers, their act would be enhanced considerably if they just sang songs and didn’t attempt the chatter between songs. One day, when the “are you having a good time? I didn’t hear you - are you having a good time?” nonsense comes out, I’m going to shout out “Hi-di-Hi” 😂 

DAY 11 (Unscheduled Sea Day)

The captain had said that we would be docking in Skagen at 7am, but when I looked outside at around this time were nowhere near land. A check of the navigational map on the TV revealed that we had passed Skagen. An hour or so later the Captain came on the tannoy to say that the Skagen pilot had come on board but they had both taken the view that we wouldn’t stop there today. I suspect that it’s one of those scenarios where a smaller ship would have berthed no problem, but a ship as large as this struggles with a bit of wind due to the high sides acting as a sail. The irony was that it turned out to be a reasonably nice day and the sea conditions were nothing to write home about, but we have to accept that these guys know what they are doing and, of course, safety is always the number 1 priority. 

We were told that there would be an announcement of ‘enhancements’ to the daytime entertainment schedule, but when this finally came I was in the busy atrium and the reaction from passengers was as you would expect when it is entirely underwhelming 😂. There will be no replacement port of call tomorrow, so speed has been slowed to 6 or 7 knots in order to keep us on schedule for an arrival in Hamburg Wednesday morning. Unfortunately, as we didn’t get off the ship yesterday, that is effectively going to feel like 3 sea days in a row for us now, which is bad news as we find them quite boring and one of the major reasons that we chose this particular cruise was because there was due to be no more than one sea day at a time 🙄 

There were problems in the MDR at lunch again (as seems to happen on sea days). The App closes to bookings after just 20-30 mins and never re-opens again. The only way to get in is to do a walk-up and get a pager. When I questioned why this was, I was told that there were 200 in the queue, yet there were loads of empty tables. Two very obvious issues were noticeable. Firstly, there aren’t enough staff dedicated to clearing tables and re-setting them. Secondly, when the tables are re-set they can sit empty for 20 minutes or more until they are occupied again, in spite of the large numbers of people waiting. I’m afraid that my theory that the app system isn’t fit for purpose at busy times has now been validated quite a few times. It was never as inefficient as this when the only option was ‘first come, first served’. 

During the afternoon we watched a film in our cabin again, as the sole speaker was the same chap as before giving another dull sounding talk. I’m sure that those who were interested in it would have been distinctly unimpressed that it was scheduled for 1pm, smack bang in the middle of lunch! One passenger commented to us that this was probably deliberate to try to take some pressure off the MDR if they know that they struggle to cope on sea days. He may well have been right!

At 8pm we went to the Peninsular drinks party. I’m very impressed with Captain Martin Allen. He delivers clear and informative announcements, and whilst his prime function is to be master of the vessel, he also has the personality that IMO is essential for the most senior representative of the company whose role also includes engaging with passengers. 

Afterwards we went for our second and final dinner in Sindhu. I didn’t particularly enjoy my meal. The scallops starter didn’t taste right to me with the seasoning and even if you cut the 3 small scallops in half it was well over £1 per mouthful for the pleasure 😂. My tenderloin of beef was over cooked and only had a tiny bit of masala sauce, which was flavourless. Thankfully the service was first class and when the waiter asked if I was enjoying it and I explained why I wasn’t, I was immediately offered the option to change it, which I did. My alternative dish arrived very quickly, for which I was most grateful. Chatting to the restaurant manager I also managed to solve the East India Punch mystery from last week. Apparently several of the ingredients are consistently unavailable at Southampton so they cannot make it, in spite of it featuring prominently on both the bar and food menu 🙄

At 9pm a family arrived and I overheard the gent say to the waiter that they had tried to make a booking for much earlier but had been unsuccessful, yet they had walked past a few times to see the restaurant half empty. We have noticed this in almost all Specialty restaurants on various P&O ships over the years - showing as full yet having loads of spaces. I should imagine that P&O could make a heck of a lot more money out of these restaurants if they could resolve that conundrum. 

To end the evening we went to the Headliners show ‘Centre Stage’. It’s a job to keep up with what is happening when on this cruise as things keep changing. As well as the formal nights having been incorrect on the cruise personaliser until a few days before the cruise (which caused people to have to rearrange plans), some of the show dates are in a permanent state of flux. As an example, we booked the Headliners show ‘Centre Stage’ for 20th before we sailed. When we boarded it had changed to 18th. Yesterday it changed yet again to 17th. Thankfully bookings update on the app, but you don’t get any notification of the changes. Anyway, I’m pleased to say that it was a much better show than the one that we saw on the first night. Even the singing was far better this time, especially the girls. We both enjoyed it. Word of warning for those who attempt to film any of the performances, as one lady did. If you are spotted by the person in the sound and lighting control box, they shine a green laser beam on you and if you don’t stop immediately a staff member approaches you to tell you to cease. You have been warned 😂 Shame they don’t do the same on those who feel the need to talk during the shows!

DAY 12 (Sea Day)

With yet another sea day to contend with, my wife wasn’t keen on getting up to go for breakfast and suggested that I went on my own. I eventually managed to persuade her otherwise, as the restaurant was open marginally later until 9.30am (note - even though the preceding day had been an unscheduled sea day, they still stuck with the early 9am shut off). 

As per usual, the Peninsular restaurant went ‘Queue Full’ at 9.10am so we had two options. Do a walk-up or join the queue for the Oriental restaurant in the few minutes before that changed to ‘Queue Full’ as well. We went for the latter and were glad that we did. Even though this is our 4th cruise on Britannia, we have always been on Freedom Dining, so this may have been the first time that we’ve dined there. We liked the ambiance as it is more compartmentalised than the very open plan Peninsular restaurant. Breakfast was just as good as it always has been in Peninsular. 

A quick visit to the library and a swing by reception to pick up ‘Britain Today’ before killing time until lunch! Knowing that the MDR gives priority to walk-ups once the restaurant has had the app open for just around 30 minutes, we played the system by joining the queue just before it switched to the inevitable ‘Queue Full’. The virtual

queue moved at glacial speed, no doubt due to the walk-ups getting seated, but we persevered as much out of curiosity than anything, so that my feedback to the food and beverage manager (should he call me again) is accurate and based upon our personal experiences. In all fairness, unlike the day before, when we eventually went in for lunch the restaurant seemed full. 

At 2pm there was a talk in the theatre about the bridge and how it operates by one of the officers. We attended but it was a bit of a rush to get there with it taking so long to get into lunch. This turned out to be a great talk and well done to the second officer who gave it, as theatre presentations aren’t a key requirement of his role! Yet again, the theatre was full which must demonstrate that there is a keen demand for more daytime talks than P&O are currently offering. There were some amusing questions from the audience at the end. One about ‘’what does the Captain do, seeing as none of the examples you gave of who was ‘driving’ the ship at any one time included him”, another about pirates and the perhaps inevitable “as we couldn’t stop in Skagen, why couldn’t we have had an extra day in Hamburg” 😂 

Afterwards we returned to the cabin for another afternoon movie via the interactive TV, which has been a godsend over the last few days. This time a bit of a tear jerker with “Last Bus” with the excellent Timothy Spall. I always enjoy any film that he stars in.  

It’s the final black tie night so we repeated our previous routine of pre dinner drinks in the atrium whilst listening to the fabulous Angelika Eckland. Having mentioned previously that there are only 2 alcoholic cocktails available in many of the bars, we have now discovered that you can pretty much get any drink in any bar, whether it’s on the menu or not. Seems daft that the menus only show a selection, but it’s good that we now know that, even though it’s taken most of the cruise to work it out 🙄. I was keeping an eye on the app to see how the virtual queues were going with the hope of getting in the queue before the inevitable ‘Queue Full’ messages. I joined the queue at  7.25pm when Peninsular restaurant was at 68 in the queue. 20 minutes later we were still 65 in the queue (probably confirming that walk-ups were getting priority, as I can’t imagine that only 3 people had entered an MDR of that size in 20 minutes) but we weren’t in a rush so we decanted to the Glass House for a nice glass of wine whilst waiting. Having finally used up all our OBC last night we are now into 10% loyalty discount territory. Every little helps 😂 The queue started moving quickly all of a sudden and we were called at 8.10pm which was about when we wanted to dine anyway, so all good. 

As the Marco Pierre White meal on the first formal night had been the most disappointing dinner that we have had in the MDR so far, I avoided it tonight. I can’t remember if I’ve mentioned it, but in all the restaurants now, even speciality ones, any Amuse Bouche is a tiny drink and not food. Tonight’s was a tomato and gin concoction that was actually the best so far. Our lovely waiter gave me a second one 👍. My wife had a starter and main from the Marco Pierre White menu. She wasn’t too keen on the Crab and Scallop Ceviche but she really

enjoyed the King Prawn and Lobster main course. I had the fried goats cheese starter from the normal menu, which was delicious and the tenderloin of beef. Whilst this was completely missing the advertised mushroom crust (not so much as a millimetre of it) it was far better than the one I’d had the night before in Sindhu. My wife had cheese and biscuits for dessert whereas I had Apple Tarte Tartin, which was much nicer than the now pre-prepared Crepes Suzette in Epicurean. So that my wife didn’t feel awkward, I also had cheese to follow my dessert 😂 

We decided agains the second ‘Remixed’ performance in the theatre, so cancelled our spaces on the app. Instead we returned to the Glass House as we had noticed earlier a rose’ port that we’d never tried before. Not sure that we’d get it again but it was nice to try something different.  Landfall at long last tomorrow with our final port, Hamburg. 

• Like 21

Another detailed and informative post.👍

It's a shame about the noise around your cabin, but as you say, you managed some sleep and others had it worse. What is it with folk that, when faced with a heavy door, don't even think to hold on to it so it closes quietly? Oh no! Letting it slam is the way to go!🙄

I'm glad your lunches had been generally consistent but, as you say, the app is not really working as it should.

I'm glad also that your faith has been restored with Epicurean; that white chocolate sphere is also a favourite of mine; like a Kinder egg for adults and, to paraphrase Brian Potter, it's a taste sensation.

It's a shame that Sindhu didn't live up to your expectations.

Is this that prawn and lobster doodah that your good lady had...?Screenshot_2023-07-18-22-20-48-6532.thumb.jpeg.e512859b47fc5a5ba0cda822a182c276.jpeg

I like that too but, for me it's just a two-bite main. I have already resolved, the next time I have it, to ask for two .....or maybe three!🐽

It's good that you did the honourable thing, and also had the cheese plate to alleviate any awkwardness she may feel.  The things we have to suffer for a happy marriage!🤭

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

50 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I’ve since checked. It would have been a lot cheaper in Copenhagen once the tax was deducted, but she seems to have cooled on the idea 😥 😂 

That was a lucky escape for you.😉

In Hamburg are you going to deploy the blindfold?😄

• Haha 2