Cancelling cruise with no insurance

happy5

10 minutes ago, Baynanno1 said:

Some pre-existing conditions ARE covered.

Only if they are stable. Something as simple as a prescription change can trigger the exclusion if it contributes to a subsequent claim.

Giving an update… my husband had a heart cath on Monday and had blockage.. so had a stent put in.. Sooo doctor advises against the cruise.

called celebrity and they said our TA had to be the one to cancel., she is on a family vacay in the Mediterranean.. finally got hold of her to cancel.  The celebrity agent said TA would have to file a non insurance claim… but TA says she has never heard of it and therefore won’t work..

our feeling is it might not but why would agent say fill out non insurance claim if it doesn’t exist??

The good news is my husband is doing great!! And we just lost $$.

thanks for all prayers and info.. will keep you posted if there is any new info for all!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, happy5 said:

Giving an update… my husband had a heart cath on Monday and had blockage.. so had a stent put in.. Sooo doctor advises against the cruise.

called celebrity and they said our TA had to be the one to cancel., she is on a family vacay in the Mediterranean.. finally got hold of her to cancel.  The celebrity agent said TA would have to file a non insurance claim… but TA says she has never heard of it and therefore won’t work..

our feeling is it might not but why would agent say fill out non insurance claim if it doesn’t exist??

thanks for all prayers and info.. will keep you posted if there is any new info for all!

I'm very happy to hear that your husband is getting the treatment he needed. 

In case you haven't had the chance to read the whole thread, please check post #42. If your TA has a good working relationship with their Celebrity rep, you may be able to have a similar result.

All the best wishes for improved health and future travel! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, happy5 said:

Giving an update…

Thank you so much for the update.  The younger brother of a close friend went from seemingly healthy to having a major stroke the day after Christmas.   I have another friend who deals with Parkinson's, and tells folks that when you have good health "you have it all."  I wish you well.

• Like 1

I was recently checking on the Travel Insurance coverage using Chase Sapphire Reserve Card.  They recently dropped their coverage to $5,000 PP per incident or $10,000 maximum if more than one passenger booked at the same time.   They also limit maximum coverage in one year to a total of $10,000. 

The coverage does not cover for per-existing Conditions or being arrested (hmm).  It also is not cover cancellation for any reason and has to be related to a covered event that prevents you from traveling.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I was recently checking on the Travel Insurance coverage using Chase Sapphire Reserve Card.  They recently dropped their coverage to $5,000 PP per incident or $10,000 maximum if more than one passenger booked at the same time.   They also limit maximum coverage in one year to a total of $10,000. 

The coverage does not cover for per-existing Conditions or being arrested (hmm).  It also is not cover cancellation for any reason and has to be related to a covered event that prevents you from traveling.

The dollar limit is a downgrade, but the other terms have always been in place. The pre-existing conditions exclusion extends even to non-traveling family members. Trip Delay is only $500 for Common Carrier delay caused by equipment failure, weather, or strike. Trip Interruption will reimburse the unused portion of the trip but covers only exchange fees for the flight home. If you have to buy a more expensive ticket, it is not covered.

Thanks for posting the new terms. Most people - including some who depend on Chase coverage - do not understand how it works or that it was never intended to replace a comprehensive travel policy. It is just part of a group of benefits in exchange for the annual fee.

• Thanks 1

Glad your dh is doing good. We had a land holiday booked last year & my dad (already unwell) deteriorated. Cancelled our holiday & insurance refused to pay as foreseen event. Even appealed it. Nowt. But I got to be with my dad at the end. That was priceless. 

9 hours ago, Baynanno1 said:

Some pre-existing conditions ARE covered.

Most pre-existing conditions can be covered ……..at a price.

I could get Annual insurance for both of us for ~£250 if no pre existing.

But due to a heart by-pass 10 years ago and being a Type2 Diabetic on BP medication I pay £700 a year.

And that’s just for European cover,,,,forget USA or Caribbean.

11 hours ago, happy5 said:

Excellent news! glad to hear he is doing great.

11 hours ago, happy5 said:

The celebrity agent said TA would have to file a non insurance claim… but TA says she has never heard of it and therefore won’t work..

Sounds like a new TA, is something to add to the list...

I know they are very common in the USA, but I would not want to work with a TA that is just operating on their own with no 'office' backup...

On 8/3/2023 at 12:01 AM, wineoclock said:

Glad your dh is doing good. We had a land holiday booked last year & my dad (already unwell) deteriorated. Cancelled our holiday & insurance refused to pay as foreseen event. Even appealed it. Nowt. But I got to be with my dad at the end. That was priceless. 

Presumably, you did not have coverage for pre-existing conditions. Most policies will cover that if purchased within two weeks (may vary) of initial deposit. Sorry to hear about your dad.

1 hour ago, MisterBill99 said:

Presumably, you did not have coverage for pre-existing conditions. Most policies will cover that if purchased within two weeks (may vary) of initial deposit. Sorry to hear about your dad.

Ahh thank you. Dh covered my MIL pre existing (she’s still fine) but forgot to add my dad! Expensive (financially) mistake but being there meant more than money. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wineoclock said:

Ahh thank you. Dh covered my MIL pre existing (she’s still fine) but forgot to add my dad! Expensive (financially) mistake but being there meant more than money. 

That's interesting, I've never had to list people with pre-existing conditions when getting the policy. It was just a batter of purchasing the insurance in time. Maybe a UK thing (I am in the US)?

Possibly a U.K. thing but DH mentioned MIL diagnosis as that was ongoing. My dads was new & he simply didn’t think. It didn’t make difference in grand scheme of things as no way would we have gone. It’s just a nuisance we lost that money.

Edited by wineoclock

36 minutes ago, MisterBill99 said:

That's interesting, I've never had to list people with pre-existing conditions when getting the policy. It was just a batter of purchasing the insurance in time. Maybe a UK thing (I am in the US)?

Standard on all UK policies. To be covered prexisting has to be declared ( and if necessary a premium paid) when you take out the policy.  People not travelling who could prevent you going are excluded or you pay a premium if they already have conditions that might result in you cancelling. I am surprised similar restrictions aren't buried in the small print of US policies. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, the penguins said:

I am surprised similar restrictions aren't buried in the small print of US policies. 

... the cost of the US travel insurance is high enough that they can afford to offer things like that without too many questions I suspect...

... same with 'cancel for any reason' cover which doesn't exist in the UK.

We are just happy that we can get annual multi-trip cruise cover from our bank for under $25 a month with the equivalent of AAA and DragonPass+ lounge access all as part of the package (valid up to age 80)

4 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

... the cost of the US travel insurance is high enough that they can afford to offer things like that without too many questions I suspect...

... same with 'cancel for any reason' cover which doesn't exist in the UK.

We are just happy that we can get annual multi-trip cruise cover from our bank for under $25 a month with the equivalent of AAA and DragonPass+ lounge access all as part of the package (valid up to age 80)

We have a similar deal through Nationwide, with breakdown cover and mobile phone cover included

Basic cost £13 a month plus around £130 as a lump sum due to our age and various medical conditions.

In addition Nationwide has been great in settling every claim, the last was for a cancellation on the morning we were due to travel (I collapsed about an hour before our taxi was due). Submitted the claim on a Friday paid in full the following Wednesday.

I have never understood "cancel for any reason" insurance but, as you say we don't have that option.

We regard to the cancellation due to say a parent being ill our insurance doesn't ask about either. It's only when you go to claim that people realise the conditions.

A bit like passengers who claim medical costs after a personal accident only to discover that being drunk has invalidated their claim.

As always the devil is in the detail.

• Like 2

On 7/24/2023 at 2:57 PM, zitsky said:

We got refunds from Celebrity because of Covid last year when we HAD insurance but didn't need it.  We got our money back and insurance let us move it to another trip.  Your situation is quite different however.  I am only 56 but I've been buying insurance the last few years.  I no longer see myself as invincible.

I hope your husband is A-OK.

I’ve been getting travel health insurance since I was 21 (no longer on my parents plan). I am Canadian and would go hiking etc in the US and I know how expensive search and rescue can be.

I travel at least 6 times a year not including quick trips across the border so having an annual coverage is well worth it. I now have private health insurance which includes a travel policy but upgraded for trip interruption etc. just in case.

On 8/2/2023 at 7:39 PM, happy5 said:

Glad to hear he is doing well. 

May refer to cancelling and getting the refundable portions back and a letter stating what is being returned and what is not.