New Specialty Restaurant Pricing

richwmn

4 hours ago, kazu said:

And there in lies the problem.  Those gratuities you and she are referring to cover most staff, but not all.  As I previously stated, the staff in specialty dining were not included in the crew incentive program.  Not everyone uses them or goes to specialty dining.  Before this came into effect, we did tip when we ate there as we were aware that they were not included.   We were not alone doing so.

It’s the same thing when you order a drink - a gratuity is added to the cost of the drink as the bar servers have their own pool which is tip based.  

And I would wager the extra funds do go to the service staff.  The bar staff certainly receive theirs.  

If we understand you correctly ,the entire compensation other than what the cruise line supplies is a separate compensation tip poo; for all the bartenders ,then a separate pool for all the staff in the special restaurants & the $32 per day goes to every other service personnel  in front of the customer & behind the scenes like the cooks .Seems reasonable to us 

10 minutes ago, kazu said:

To answer part of your question - the service charge was added to specialty dining, surcharge items, etc as of Feb. 1, 2023 I believe.  It is relatively new.  Pre-covid it was not in effect.  It was in effect for the bar staff, of course.

My comments stem from many sailings on HAL and conversations with officers & the PG manager on some of my longer cruises pre-covid.  Since we were dining in the PG for breakfast, I thought it appropriate to leave a tip and asked how to do it appropriately since we had different waiters for different parts of the breakfasts.

I was advised to just give the envelope to the PG Manager and it would be pooled among them all and that it would be most appreciated as they were not part of the HSC (it was called hotel service charge at the time.). I didn’t pry & ask for details on their compensation package but the message was quite clear.  I have no further knowledge other than what I was told. 

My very basic understanding of the DSC/HSC system notes your experience can be fairly standard practice. Especially when pax remove the DSC/HSC and provide cash directly to a crew member, said crew member is expected to tender the cash for inclusion in the pool.

Crew members caught not tendering cash can be fired.

Providing cash to a manager/supervisor just simplifies the process.

2 hours ago, POA1 said:

$YY is the Irish spelling of $X.

😁

My original formula was that X = price in USD, therefore (X x 0.5) + (X x 0.18) = 4/5 * Mariner Price.  That was a lot of x's so why, why? 🙄

• Haha 5

8 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

😁

My original formula was that X = price in USD, therefore (X x 0.5) + (X x 0.18) = 4/5 * Mariner Price.  That was a lot of x's so why, why? 🙄

I chose to cease participating in algebra-esque conversations and mathematical computations once all degree-required courses were completed and the modern day calculator did the work for me. I feel the need to curl up in a corner...

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 12

7 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

Our last cruise Pinnacle lunch was accounted for this way: 

$15 pp

$15 + 18% = $17.70

minus 50% off the $15 ($7.50) = $10.20 pp charged. 

That makes sense.  The gratuity should be based on the pre-discount amount, much like a restaraunt that has a discount back home. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Murray's Pop said:

For those of us who also cruise on Princess, did you see their new "specials"?  Now charging for things that used to included unless you purchase the "Plus" or "Premier" package!

yet another reason to avoid Princess....just went to the Princess board and we've got no issues over here compared to that mess......room service fee? fee to use the app?  pizza fee?  and makes these increases seem like nothing and even more grateful to prefer Holland America Line.....

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, saltshell said:

OK, I'm 4 star. If I book for 2 do I get my 50% off both meals?

If your partner is in your cabin, yes you do whether they are 4* or not.  If you are pre-booking you will pay full price and then receive your loyalty discount on board as OBC.  The only specialty restaurant that does not apply to is Sel de Mer.  Discounts are different in that restaurant.

• Like 1

If pax do *not* remove the daily service charge from their bill, are then waiters, bartenders, and cabin attendants allowed to keep tips for themselves, or must they go into a pool?

Does it matter if the tip is cash or charged to the ship account?

26 minutes ago, Catlover54 said:

If pax do *not* remove the daily service charge from their bill, are then waiters, bartenders, and cabin attendants allowed to keep tips for themselves, or must they go into a pool?

They may keep the tips.  It does not matter if cash or charged to the ship account (tips made on bills for Specialty Restaurants).

Edited by Crew News
  • Thanks 2

On 7/28/2023 at 2:50 PM, Murray's Pop said:

For those of us who also cruise on Princess, did you see their new "specials"?  Now charging for things that used to included unless you purchase the "Plus" or "Premier" package!

I watched a video yesterday by a vlogger that attempted to explain all the changes.  My head was spinning.  How do they possibly expect passengers to research/know/understand everything?  $10 to activate the Medallion, $5 for room service if you phone in the order instead of using the Medallion, free pizza at one place; added charge at another place, etc. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Roz said:

I watched a video yesterday by a vlogger that attempted to explain all the changes.  My head was spinning.  How do they possibly expect passengers to research/know/understand everything?  $10 to activate the Medallion, $5 for room service if you phone in the order instead of using the Medallion, free pizza at one place; added charge at another place, etc. 

Seriously - pax pays to activate the medallion? I haven't cruised Princess since the restart, but have been on them since they went to the medallions. Can you just go to GS and get a card instead of using the meda!lion?

13 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Seriously - pax pays to activate the medallion? I haven't cruised Princess since the restart, but have been on them since they went to the medallions. Can you just go to GS and get a card instead of using the meda!lion?

Don't know. 

On 7/27/2023 at 8:04 PM, Haljo1935 said:

So the $7 charge is gone for the extra appetizer - YAY - Clothesline Candied Bacon 🥓 all around!! But since the base dinner price has increased by $7, we will both now have to order bacon to break even. Previously, we ordered 1 and shared it.

Excuse me while I go tell DH to begin power eating training so as to be able to easily consume the extra serving of bacon 🥓 in time for our Oct cruise.

I believe in you both! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 7/27/2023 at 4:22 AM, richwmn said:

I just saw this posted on FB. Note that the charges for additional entrees are being removed.

NewSpecialty.jpg.d6acd8aeedde8f4fca964217bf457b7e.jpg

Do the prices shown here include the 18% service charge?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

I'll suggest nobody on these Boards may have a definitive answer to your question. I have asked this of senior Pursers I know from my days, and they are unable to provide a definitive answer. Our son, who was S/2/0 was also not privy to this information.

If the DSC/HSC is removed, they confirm any cash must be handed over.

Bar staff are not normally included in the DSC/HSC, as they charge a service charge on all drinks that goes to the bar staff. I assume with HAL, the service charge on drinks is non-discretionary.

2 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

I'll suggest nobody on these Boards may have a definitive answer to your question. I have asked this of senior Pursers I know from my days, and they are unable to provide a definitive answer. Our son, who was S/2/0 was also not privy to this information.

If the DSC/HSC is removed, they confirm any cash must be handed over.

Bar staff are not normally included in the DSC/HSC, as they charge a service charge on all drinks that goes to the bar staff. I assume with HAL, the service charge on drinks is non-discretionary.

I don't know what S/2/0 is, but thank you for your input.

I think post #111 tried to address the question.

I would be less likely to give a generous cabin attendant tip in cash if I knew it was just going into a generic pool (and I definitely understand all the "back of the house works just as hard" arguments).

There's something about one-on-one interactions/work/reward that appeals to many of us.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Catlover54 said:

I don't know what S/2/0 is, but thank you for your input.

I would be less likely to give a generous cabin attendant tip in cash if I knew it was just going into a generic pool (and I definitely understand all the "back of the house works just as hard" arguments).

There's something about one-on-one interactions/work/reward that appeals to many of us.

S/2/0 is Senior 2nd Officer, who is a senior watchkeeping officer, normally holding a Class 1 Masters Certificate of Competency. Usually working the 12-4 shift.

Hence the reason getting a definitive answer on how the tip pool works is next to impossible.

1 hour ago, BSR said:

Do the prices shown here include the 18% service charge?

I found this on a FB post and know nothing other than what is printed. However, based on the listed prices before and after I would say it is without the service charge.

13 minutes ago, richwmn said:

I found this on a FB post and know nothing other than what is printed. However, based on the listed prices before and after I would say it is without the service charge.

Thanks for the information. 

I will confess that being on Seabourn (where we are now) avoids all these hassles.  No tipping, no add ons, no charges for caviar, etc.  We now need a spreadsheet to keep track of the extra fees on most mass market lines.  And given all the overcharges we had on our recent HAL cruise, I think even HAL needs a spreadsheet to keep track.  On an upcoming Princess cruise they have listed 38 separate lines of perks included in our “package.”  We will need a checklist to keep track of the used/unused.

Hank

• Like 4

On 7/28/2023 at 12:27 AM, Crew News said:

On the Nieuw Amsterdam, go to the Deck 9 Spa entrance at the end of the indoor pool and there will be a podium nearby for making Specialty Restaurant reservations.  The podium is there only on Embarkation Day until 2:00 PM. 

I have found this podium to be present on Embarkation Day on my last six cruise ships and never a waiting line.

my boarding pass says 2:00 pm embarkation.   I guess that’s an assigned time and not actually when boarding begins.  

Sounds like I’ll be out of luck on lunch unless the Neptune concierge can get something for us or we show up earlier to board (can we do that?!)

9 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

Post #111 is absolutely correct.  As long as you keep the Crew Incentive in place, the crew are free to keep any additional tips you wish to give them.  If you remove/decrease them any tips they receive must be turned into the pool.

Despite what one person is asserting who has not sailed HAL yet, the policy on HAL is known on our board.  We  have the benefit of HAL officers or past officers on  who have  explained many things 👍 and other CC members have actually posted the page of the crew manual confirming the arrangement.  It’s actually on the internet 🙂 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Back to the original post.

image.png.2607bbe9acab6bb365e297d3745bccc2.png

How does this September 1 deadline for the increase work?  And how do I work with it to my advantage?

I have two future cruises booked - September and January 2024.

My assumption that "bookings" means a specialty dining restaurant "reservation", not a cruise itinerary booking.

If that is the case, I need to go online now (before September 1) and book (make dining reservation) for the September 2023 sailing before 9/1/23 to lock in the old (current) pricing?  Correct?

Basically, I am asking them to define what booking? cruise itself or dining on that cruise?  They could be clearer.

Regardless, I don't think there is anything I can do about the January 2024 cruise.  Just accept the new pricing.