Limit of food you can order in the dining room now?

gatorphin

Hi!  It's been a little while since I cruised and I was told that there is now a limit on what you can order while eating in the dining room?  I was told you can only order 1 appetizer, 1 entre & 1 dessert.  Can anyone tell me if that is true?  Leaving on the Carnival Sunrise tomorrow.  Happy to be back cruising again. Thanks

I noticed on the Celebration last week that the staff is forced to use a tablet now for ordering and it makes it difficult to add additional items past the 1 app, 1 entree, 1 dessert as they have to do more steps so it was hit or miss if I got the more than 1 app I ordered through the week depending on the mood of the waiter.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, TexasJohn82 said:

I noticed on the Celebration last week that the staff is forced to use a tablet now for ordering and it makes it difficult to add additional items past the 1 app, 1 entree, 1 dessert as they have to do more steps so it was hit or miss if I got the more than 1 app I ordered through the week depending on the mood of the waiter.

oh wow.  That's not ideal

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gatorphin said:

Hi!  It's been a little while since I cruised and I was told that there is now a limit on what you can order while eating in the dining room?  I was told you can only order 1 appetizer, 1 entre & 1 dessert.  Can anyone tell me if that is true?  Leaving on the Carnival Sunrise tomorrow.  Happy to be back cruising again. Thanks

On our last cruise in June, there was no limit on appetizers or desserts but there was a charge of $5.00 if you order a third entree. 

• Like 1

My last cruise I typically ordered 2 apps each night...  and 2 entrées.  I ordered two lobsters on lobster night and the waiter also brought me a filet -- said surf & turf is required.  😄  I'm usually too full for any desert... unless it's baked Alaska in which case I will make room...  😂

• Like 3

7 hours ago, FastShip24 said:

First world problem

This is a cruising forum. Everything is a first world problem. If you find first world problems aggravating, rather than put down people who discuss them you would find greater peace by not being here.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, icft said:

This is a cruising forum. Everything is a first world problem. If you find first world problems aggravating, rather than put down people who discuss them you would find greater peace by not being here.

I  agree , Some  people  don'  want  to  be  wasteful  ordering  a  full entree  and  send  most of  it  back  but  may  want to  try multiple  apps  instead . The  original poster  having  concern  is  warranted  , they paid  for  their  experience  already and  should  get  the  experience  they paid  for . As  it  is  many people  booked  cruises  and  some  changes  have  been  made  that  diminish  some  of  the  experiences  hopefully   this  ordering experience does not  add   to  the list .

15 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

a charge of $5 per additional entree after 2 entrees per person.

I hate it.

I'm fine with it.  If you HAVE to do something like this, then I think it's better and fairer to start charging after the THIRD entree rather than the SECOND as some other cruise lines do.  And $5 is trivial, almost a nuisance fee to ensure that only people who really want that third (and beyond) tail of lobster actually do so.  Few restaurants have main courses of $5 or less these days.

DISCLOSURE:  I'm a shareholder in Carnival Corporation. 😁

• Like 2

I knew when the crew started ringing everything up (down to charging us a penny for the champagne or excursion tickets they give away during the fun ashore talk) it was a matter of time before extra charges started.

Frankly I don't mind it, I understand that Carnival has to cut waste.

I am glad they're starting to bring back things they cut like the late night snacks buffet - I didn't expect that, at least not so soon.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

And $5 is trivial, almost a nuisance fee to ensure that only people who really want that third (and beyond) tail of lobster actually do so.

I don't care for lobster that much, but I cruise to eat and unlimited entrees have been included since we started cruising in 2009. 
Some days the menu is meh and I don't even want a single entree, and some days I want 3 different ones because I actually want all 3 and I will eat it all. So, I think in the end it all works out to an average of 2 entrees per dinner, but no - I would still get charged $5 on days when I order the 3rd entree, but $5 won't be deducted on the days when I don't order even a single entree.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I don't care for lobster that much, but I cruise to eat and unlimited entrees have been included since we started cruising in 2009. 
Some days the menu is meh and I don't even want a single entree, and some days I want 3 different ones because I actually want all 3 and I will eat it all. So, I think in the end it all works out to an average of 2 entrees per dinner, but no - I would still get charged $5 on days when I order the 3rd entree, but $5 won't be deducted on the days when I don't order even a single entree.

I have 100+ sea days, and I have never ordered a second entrée, much less a third. If you happen to see me sitting near you in the MDR, let me know - you can have my free second entrée. 😊

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

As with any new fee or new policy there will be people adversely affected. Carnival probably considers it acceptable collateral damage.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, staceyglow said:

I have 100+ sea days, and I have never ordered a second entrée, much less a third. If you happen to see me sitting near you in the MDR, let me know - you can have my free second entrée. 😊

That could be a good wok around - having the extra entrees officially going to some one else.  I bet the wait staff could make that happen so they have happy cruisers I. E. tips and good reviews.

3 hours ago, staceyglow said:

I have 100+ sea days, and I have never ordered a second entrée, much less a third. 

I have over 200 days on cruise ships (not all on Carnival) and close to 100 sea days.  I only recall grabbing a second entree once in the MDR - for short ribs.  Mmmm, good.  😃  No thirds required, even of that. 

There's a possibility I have taken a triple-sized serving of something or another at the trough, but buffet plates and buffet employees tell no tales. 😈

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/28/2023 at 12:11 PM, chadvarner85 said:

Not true. Only limted on entrees to Two. $5 per entree after that. unlimited appetizers and desserts

This is plenty and sufficient. Big eaters are free to dine at buffet if they want unlimited food.

15 hours ago, icft said:

All I said it was a first world problem. Please show me where I put someone down