Changes to Princess Plus, room service fees, Alfredo's and others. Fee changes. Etc

LMaxwell

4 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

I posted a similar question, but rather in regards to elite mini bar set up, as like to exchange everything for water. So will I be charged $5 for the delivery of exchange. 

check your accounts throughout the sailing, as accidental charges do happen, and I can see that happening with things such as these 2 scenarios.

I do not see us being charged $5 to swap out the mini-bar.  But don't be giving them ideas.  LOL. 

PS - If not already in the cabin, I quickly call RS to try and head them off at the pass and put in my swap order.  Also, do it the day or so prior to next voyage in order to get it right the first time.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, whitecap said:

I find it interesting that gratuities are, as you say it, "a major part of their compensation".  Do you tip the produce manager at your local grocery store?  Or the farmer who delivered the corn?  Maybe the cruise lines should be paying their workers a better salary and then all the tipping wouldn't be "a major part of their compensation".  

So lets see.  Lets say that the cruise lines all changed their business model.

Your base fare would go up by the amount of tips.  That means that unlike today where tips are paid after the cruise, unless you select to pay them in advance, you will now have to pay the amount 90 days before the cruise starts.  Because the fare goes up, your insurance costs also goes up since it is based up the new fare.  So if all else is neutral  your costs as a passenger have increased over the current system, the amount of money at risk is increased, and the amount of funds you have to pay earlier has increased.  Not exactly a good deal for passengers.

Of course that would not be the end of it.  There are also advantages to the crew and the cruiseline under the current system.

To the cruise line whose accounting systems are run in accordance with US accounting standards (listed on US exchanges) the money received for tips is processed outside of the companies books.  Any money they receive as gratuities is not counted as revenue and the money they pay to the crew is not counted as an expense.  As long as certain rules are met.  One of which is that all monies received must be distributed to the crew that are part of the gratuity pool. Another is that the gratuitiy must be optional (can be removed).  That makes it pretty certain that the money is in fact going to the crew.  While if the system changed and the money flow remained exactly the same with fares going up $16 per person per day and salaries going up the same amount now being classified as revenue and expense, it would not impact corporate income taxes, but it would impact net margin in a negative way.

Then comes the crew depending upon their countries of residence gratuities are often taxed differently with gratuities often getting better tax treatment.

To put it simply moving gratuities into the fares would be a negative for passengers, the cruise line and the crew.  Even though it would prevent some from removing the gratuity amount.

26 minutes ago, Yowman said:

I suspect original perks means the perks that were explicitly associated with the package.  I don't believe free food at Alfredos was a part of either PLUS or PREMIUM

True, it was just  free for everyone originally, no package needed

• Like 2

Stopped reading on page 4.  Wow.

4 hours ago, Jeter02 said:

I do wonder if the traditional breakfast room service will continue ( where you fill out the little door hanger to put outside your cabin) to be free versus just doing roof service throughout the day using ocean now?

No more paper hanging tags.  Gone on 7/22/23 cruise. Paper saver.  Must call RS, if you can get through. Or maybe the app.  Haven’t tried either. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

I posted a similar question, but rather in regards to elite mini bar set up, as like to exchange everything for water. So will I be charged $5 for the delivery of exchange. 

check your accounts throughout the sailing, as accidental charges do happen, and I can see that happening with things such as these 2 scenarios.

Recently on some ships the Steward actually does the change out due to long delays going through room service.

On B2B I find it is better to contact room service (who still does the initial fill) to just have them bring what you want when they do the setup.

I don't mind the change. I can't think of much that costs less today, except for maybe going out of business sales.

The changes do accomplish one thing - the packages are that much father removed from being "just a drink package". There is value beyond alcohol - there was before, anyway.

• Like 2

Just now, cr8tiv1 said:

Stopped reading on page 4.  Wow.

No more paper hanging tags.  Gone on 7/22/23 cruise. Paper saver.  Must call RS, if you can get through. Or maybe the app.  Haven’t tried either. 

Oh. You know if I come think of it,I don't think think I recall the card on my most recent cruise a few short weeks ago.. hmm. Thanks for the fun fact. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ldtr said:

Recently on some ships the Steward actually does the change out due to long delays going through room service.

On B2B I find it is better to contact room service (who still does the initial fill) to just have them bring what you want when they do the setup.

Yes I usually order my double order for a B2B (2 separate cruise bookings) on the initial day, so I don't have a long delay again coen the second cruise 

1 minute ago, Jeter02 said:

Oh. You know if I come think of it,I don't think think I recall the card on my most recent cruise a few short weeks ago.. hmm. Thanks for the fun fact. 

We did not have them placed in the room, but they were available if you asked your steward for them (Majestic July 8 - 22).

2 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

Yes I usually order my double order for a B2B (2 separate cruise bookings) on the initial day, so I don't have a long delay again coen the second cruise 

Even with one setup not enough room in the fridge if you change alcohol for non-alcohol.

Edited by ldtr

27 minutes ago, whitecap said:

I find it interesting that gratuities are, as you say it, "a major part of their compensation".  Do you tip the produce manager at your local grocery store?  Or the farmer who delivered the corn?  Maybe the cruise lines should be paying their workers a better salary and then all the tipping wouldn't be "a major part of their compensation".  

Bad example of using produce.  Most agricultural workers are undocumented and are underpaid wages and under the table.  It's how farmers keep their prices low.  That and not a lot of Americans want to work in the fields sowing the land.

The cruise lines don't have to abide by minimum wage or overtime laws.  If they did have to pay proper wages and abide by overtime law, you wouldn't see the prices or service that you are seeing now.  Case in point, the Pride of America.  A balcony for a 7 day cruise runs $2500 per person pre port charges and gratuity.  Having sailed on this ship, the service isn't up to par because there simply isn't enough crew to cover.  The crew's shifts stop at 8 hours.  There aren't enough crew cabins on the ship to bring onboard more crew and doing that would make the wage costs increase.

Edited by SCX22
  • Like 1

So they created the Medallion system to wow people with the ability to have stuff delivered to them wherever they are for free, and now they’re suddenly going to charge for it?! What is going to make them stand out now that they’re gradually becoming more and more like the other mainstream lines? We fall right into Princess’s new target market age range. We have another 40 years of cruising potential, and we have loved the classic cruising experience Princess has long provided us with and don’t want that to be lost. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Ombud said:

Did you ask for the vegan menu?? I do & then add cheese

You can also mix and match the vegan menu (which is quite good) with the regular MDR menu. We did this all the time on our recent cruise (Just got home a week ago). We are pescatarians and found plenty of options with or without the fish. Also the Ocean Terrace was an ala carte paid restaurant. Would be great to have the sushi restaurant included in premiere.

• Like 1

We've only sailed twice since the restart. I think we used room service twice on our last cruise but that was unusual for us. Normally we don't ever use room service. As for the "find me" (I forget what it's actually called) we have never use that service. We have 32 days booked this fall. On the first 14 day segment we have Plus 50 so we now no longer have free room service or free Alfredo's. We normally eat at Alfredo's once per cruise and we split a single pizza as that is plenty of food to fill both of us. The second and third segments this fall have the upgraded Plus but only because the cruise fares dropped drastically and we had to rebook with the higher price to get the new fare. We still saved a ton of money and got a bunch more OBC so it was worth the "upgrade". At that time we realized we wouldn't be using the free fitness classes or the snazzy deserts. We had no idea the change regarding Alfredo's was in the offing. For the first 14 day segment (as well as our 12 day next Spring) paying an extra $10 per day each vs paying for a pizza or a possible room service delivery makes no sense at all. Our usage of those things now listed as NEW is just not high enough to justify the difference. We'll just "suffer" with the changes. I think it stinks to take a dump on the Standard fare folks but it isn't really going to affect us much.

We're still up in the air about dropping our flight to Melbourne and, instead, booking an additional 31 days (SF to Melbourne) for about the same price. If we do drop the hammer on that option it will be in n inside cabin with Standard fare. If we do that the changes will definitely affect us as, in the 31 days we would definitely hit Alfredo's a few times. I have to wonder how this will play out as our booked cruises and the "possible" cruises are all on Grand Princess and Alfredo's only has pizza on that ship.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

This is going to be part of the announcements today by Carmen Roig in her webinar for TA's.  This has been documented in a couple of threads (the upcoming announcement - sans details).  

So, looks like expanded free food and another way to extract $$ for the rest of us.  No doubt these food changes will lead to a reason to increase Plus & Premier cost as well.

I will say this, however.  Reading this release one might presume it is subtly suggesting that guests will no longer be able to attend Alfredo's/Gigi's and enjoy a free pizza.  If that is the case, I predict a mini-revolt among loyal PCL customers.

ETA:  I choose to interpret the Padgett remarks as that casual locations that have a la carte items for a fee will continue to have them and others - like pizza - will continue to be available (lol - at least for now), but if one wants an expanded meal, it will cost.  IDK - we may have to see if this is clarified because right now at Alfredo's one can effectively get an appetizer, a main, and a dessert all for free.  What will they do to justify $15 value?

I read the plain language as $14.99 for the new prix fixe 3-course menu, and a la cart pricing for all other food, so no free items any more, including the pizza. Not a happy cruiser!

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I do not see us being charged $5 to swap out the mini-bar.  But don't be giving them ideas.  LOL. 

PS - If not already in the cabin, I quickly call RS to try and head them off at the pass and put in my swap order.  Also, do it the day or so prior to next voyage in order to get it right the first time.

I hope you are right about the mini bar swap.  Never could figure out why they can't leave a card in the room to check off items you want instead of just leaving a mismash of things that no one is satisfied with.  Especially do this on B2Bs

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, coo359a2 said:

I hope you are right about the mini bar swap.  Never could figure out why they can't leave a card in the room to check off items you want instead of just leaving a mismash of things that no one is satisfied with.  Especially do this on B2Bs

I've been to lazy to even swap out the mini bar. Heck, they've been out of so many things on our last two cruises I don't think a swap would have really worked out.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, tothemall&beyond said:

I read the plain language as $14.99 for the new prix fixe 3-course menu, and a la cart pricing for all other food, so no free items any more, including the pizza. Not a happy cruiser!

The only thing that was free that isn’t anymore is Alfredo’s/GiGi’s.  Lido deck still free.  All of the other venues have always had a cost.

my not be a popular opinion, but they had to do something to slow down the room service orders.  I waited 1.5 hours one night and was order #1200.  They can’t hire enough crew, or build a kitchen large enough, to handle that number of orders .

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jeter02 said:

I too only book standard fare. However my interpretation in regards to alfredo is as follows:

How I interpret this: If you are a plus or premier guest You will have an option to order a 3 course prefixed menu at no extra cost. Whereas guest on the standard fare will not have that option of a prefixed menu for a 3 course meal, but instead we will Have our normal standard menu. Which brings me to the hopeful thought that Alfredos / Gigi will still remain free

Nope. No more free items for Standard fare. It's prix fixe @ $14.99 for the 3-course meal or a la carte for everything else. It literally says so. The addition of new three-course, pre-fixed menus gives Plus and Premier guests more food options than ever before without any extra charges. For those who prefer sailing on Princess Standard, the casual prix fixe dining will be $14.99 and individual selections will continue with a la carte pricing.