Changes to Princess Plus, room service fees, Alfredo's and others. Fee changes. Etc

LMaxwell

10 minutes ago, WisCruiser2 said:

Can anyone tell me what the current prices are for  beer, basic drinks (e.g., gin & tonic), soda, and coffee (brewed and lattes) are? That's really the difference for us, as we do not drink much alcohol, but do like our morning coffee!

Also, the "casual dining" change doesn't mean much for those ships that don't have Alfredo's or Ocean Terrace. Salty Dog "Gastropub" and Planks/Steamers had an upcharge the last time we were cruising (in 2020...).

In June on the Sky Princess with no drink package, a double Glenfiddich was $14.16, fountain coke, $2.36, can coke was $2.95

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, rosevew said:

I for one have contacted Princess to express my dissatisfaction, both by telephone and by email to UK and USA offices. I also suggested that they look at this thread to see the depth of feeling for the changes

This thread might illustrate the 'depth of feeling' of perhaps 50 posters who cruise with Princess, so if each speaks for 2 passengers, that's a total of maybe 100 of the, for the sake of argument, 500000 to one million who cruise with them per year.   And those 50 come from a particular demographic / experience level which probably makes them very atypical of the typical current Princess cruises, let alone the 'new' demographic that Princess is targeting.  So, I am sure the corporate offices will bear that in mind and give the views of this tiny minority of passengers appropriate weighting if and when they look at this thread, in the same way that they'll give an appropriate weighting to the views of the 99.95% of their passengers who haven't expressed their 'depth of feeling' on this thread, but may do so via other means.

Edited by cruising.mark.uk
  • Like 5

58 minutes ago, whitecap said:

But the bigger point is not who the shareholder/military OBC change affected, it is that this is just another one of the benefits that Princess passengers did receive and now its gone.  Also gone, internet, loyalty OBC, bathroom amenities, coffee card, cost to get medallion, and I'm sure there is more I just can't think of at the moment.  All these reductions with all these added fees/charges just makes one wonder how far will they go.

I have a suggestion for Princess:  No one likes taking off the bandaid slowly; please rip it off, go ahead and add all the fees you can think of and to get you started how about a cover charge to go to the buffet, Lido pizza and the grill; cover charge for MUTS and those little ice cream cones don't come cheap, put them in a vending machine and charge a buck for each.  Go ahead, make all the reductions you can, do it all at once, PLEASE!  You know it is in the plans.  It will sting for a moment, but it will certainly help me make my decision.  

Agree.  We have been loyal Princess cruisers for many years but we have lost all the perks you mentioned.  It is not a small change as some have suggested.  We had always cruised at least 50 days a year and these perks were significant motivators.  With those gone and these new cheap charges Princess has lost our reliable loyalty.  Appreciated your spot on summary.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, whitecap said:

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Amazing how people claim about all of the benefit cuts until one lists exactly what has changed.

7 minutes ago, Princessfan20 said:

Agree.  We have been loyal Princess cruisers for many years but we have lost all the perks you mentioned.  It is not a small change as some have suggested.  We had always cruised at least 50 days a year and these perks were significant motivators.  With those gone and these new cheap charges Princess has lost our reliable loyalty.  Appreciated your spot on summary.

What perks?  Go ahead and list them.  Other than the loyalty benefit OBC and the bag of toiletries what exactly has been cut.

There have been a substitution (50% discount on unlimited Internet vs 13 to 20 mintes average per day on Internet).  There has even been an addition the 10% discount on excursions.

So what exactly is this list of benefits that have gone away.

12 minutes ago, Princessfan20 said:

Suggestion Princessfan20; don't engage!!  😇

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, whitecap said:

Suggestion Princessfan20; don't engage!!  😇

What no details about what actually has been cut.  If they have been as large as you claim surely there are others to what I listed.

Maybe you could bring up the barrel chair removal as a lost benefit.

Those of us on here have found out about the forthcoming changes - when / how  do Princess intend to inform us officially of the changes ? 

We have booked a holiday and now what  we booked has changed!

8 minutes ago, swabs said:

Those of us on here have found out about the forthcoming changes - when / how  do Princess intend to inform us officially of the changes ? 

I doubt if Princess will inform passengers...
My past experiences (book direct) with comms from Princess are very poor.
Time will tell.

Edited by gah_cruise

10 minutes ago, swabs said:

Princess should send out a mass email to all booked guests on Old plans to announce the changes and use it as an opportunity to suggest they upgrade and how to do it.  Otherwise, they are made aware at varying times in advance of sailing.  For all I know, they are doing this.

They should also send out a different email to all guests booked on the New plans and explain the changes and what they are getting included now and they don't need to do anything (unless of course they have been thinking of upgrading to Premier).  Advise and market at the same time.

A transparent Princess would also generate a third email to all booked guests on Standard and let them know of the changes and again use the opportunity to suggest they may want to add a package now with all the new benefits included.  Advise and market at the same time.

IMO, it creates better goodwill than surprising thousands of guests each week for the next couple of months until word spreads more.  Even then, not everyone will know.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Princess should send out a mass email to all booked guests on Old plans to announce the changes and use it as an opportunity to suggest they upgrade and how to do it.  Otherwise, they are made aware at varying times in advance of sailing.  For all I know, they are doing this.

They should also send out a different email to all guests booked on the New plans and explain the changes and what they are getting included now and they don't need to do anything (unless of course they have been thinking of upgrading to Premier).  Advise and market at the same time.

A transparent Princess would also generate a third email to all booked guests on Standard and let them know of the changes and again use the opportunity to suggest they may want to add a package now with all the new benefits included.  Advise and market at the same time.

IMO, it creates better goodwill than surprising thousands of guests each week for the next couple of months until word spreads more.  Even then, not everyone will know.

I 100% agree with all you have written.....common sense for most businesses.
However, I do wonder if the arrogance (and ignorance) that emanates from their marketing dept will overrule.

• Like 2

Princess is currently doing beta responses from CC and other sources not mentioned, to see the reaction to the changes.  Further comments and responses will help Princess determine the status of these changes and future changes.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, swabs said:

That is the real question.

I suspect that they will not.  Based upon their communication to the TA's where the focus is on selling packages, I do not expect a formal notification.  Only that on or about when the changes are implemented the web site will change to reflect the new charges.

Especially in the UK where you do not have the same ability as we in the US I would raise the question about the change and the variance from when you booked the cruise.  Do not know if changes in the cost of room service, ordering via App and changing one venue from free to cost rises to the level of a claim under PTR 2018 or not.

If it is a cruise soon after implementation such as in August - October I would certainly raise the issue with customer service to see if any of the fees could be waived due to lack of advance notification.

13 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Lets see odds of that happening slim or none.  The most I would expect is a change to your booking summery language that you download before boarding.  Maybe a letter on board.

Do expect the web sites to reflect the new info in August.

2 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Princess is currently doing beta responses from CC and other sources not mentioned, to see the reaction to the changes.  Further comments and responses will help Princess determine the status of these changes and future changes.

If what you say is correct I would like to say this to those at Princess:  STOP THE INSANITY!!  Don't try to be like all the others, continue to be the BEST!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, getaway101 said:

Yes,  We paid the $80. pp per day.  But my travel summary does not show the new items.

I believe it was mentioned it will be added, once the ships rollout comes out, starting August 12.

2 hours ago, ldtr said:

For all of the angst, discussion an debate.  In reality the changes are

Making Gigi's/Alfredo's  a charged venue

Adding $14.95 charge to activate App ordering 

Adding $5 per order room service charge when ordering by phone

Most of this discussion is largely because the announcement (the one aimed at TAs) focused on packages and why TA's should push them to their clients.  Instead of being a announcement of the price increases themselves.  

There have been far larger changes in the past with more economic impact that generated less angst and confusion.  

Actually, there's a another change.  Plus and Premier now get to eat at other Casual restaurants for no additional charge (two/unlimited times.)  But good summary on the "negatives".

You pointed out, but has been missed by many, that the information/announcement came from a TA presentation.  It appears one of the points they emphasized was that there's now more benefits to getting the Plus/Premier package than booking just the Standard Fare*, and by the way, you as a TA get a bigger commission on the added package than you would if your client books the Standard.  So (PCL talking) help us increase our profits, and yours too, by pushing the higher packages.

*some of these benefits used to be included for Standard Fare passengers.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, ldtr said:

What no details about what actually has been cut.  If they have been as large as you claim surely there are others to what I listed.

The biggest cut now is not combining the military and Stockholder credit. The loyalty credit which was incremental starting at 25 cruises. Now the charge for room service. other charges/cutbacks are as follows and not a full list

Delivery/Mailing of the medallion

Loss of upgraded bathroom amenities

lack of tote bags

lack of slippers

most of full suite amenities

charge for second entree in MDR

Edited by cruzsnooze

13 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I think that is what they said on the webinar - they will be emailing guests who have booked and letting them know the changes/options to upgrade. I have 2 bookings currently - one with premiere package so no real changes there, other than the fees waived for the new charges. The other is a 15 day standard fare booking - it makes no sense financially to add a package to this cruise as it would put me at an additional $1800 (plus 30% CAD exchange rate) for myself and a teen. I will wait it out until final payment and see what comes down the pipe, but already looking at other options...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, spunks said:

OK...here is our look at the differences between RCCL and Princess:

It used to be that RCCL was always cheaper than Princess, but Princess allowed us to "stack" OBC benefits so that the money usually came out about the same....i.e....being a military veteran would pay something like $100.00 , being a stockholder of CCL stock paid $100.00..having cruised over 50 times with Princess paid $100.00, plus any TA given benefits...so a total of $300.00 plus on a 7 day cruise. This is onboard credit that could go toward tips, drinks, etc or even specialty restaurants. RCCL would only give a stockholder benefit, and even then if you did not have any discounts....plus 1 Princess!

Princess gives a one time mini bar setup of 8 little bottles, 2 bottles of beer, 2 Perrier and 6 soft drinks per cruise no matter how many days the cruise. RCCL gives 4 drinks PER DAY at any bar for Diamond, 5 per day for Diamond plus and 6 per day for Pennical.....plus 1 RCCL

The sad thing is that within the last year Princess has done away with the over 20-30-40-50 times cruise bonus....gone. Next they took away the benefit stacking. You can now take EITHER the Vet bonus or the stockholder, but not both.....minus 1 Princess.

Princess does still allow unlimited free laundry service for Elite members( 15 cruises), but they now take up to 72 hours to return it.

RCCL allows a small bag of laundry per cruise for Diamond Plus...plus one for Princess

No more free internet for Platinum and Elite for Princess..RCCL gives 2 free days internet per Diamond Plus member in the cabin. ..Plus one for RCCL....internet is Voom starlink...very fast plus another for RCCL

Princess has been reducing benefits ....RCCL has not 

Doug

What we noticed on RCCL was how expensive the drinks, SD, room service, rides etc.  I think overall PCL is still a better value.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

princess like every other business, is going to exploit the opportunity to add to their bottom line as people have no regard for their financial well being going totally off kilter borrowing to go on trips which are fine if folks can afford them , hotels and other forms of travel are out of site. we need a recession to correct this, and i am adjusting my travel plans like other cruise lines since princess no longer values loyal cruisers. That was coming gradually for a while now. they want new cruisers whom will spend money on more profitable areas vs experienced cruisers. bottom line find your best value for your personal travel needs

• Like 1